considering 2nd set of wheels--does 8" vs. 7.5" vs. 7" width matter?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

considering 2nd set of wheels--does 8" vs. 7.5" vs. 7" width matter?

my OEM wheels are 17" diameter pegasus, which appear to be 8" width

looking at aftermarket 17" wheels for my 2004 V70R on Tirerack.com or at Ronal, some appear to be 7 or 7.5 inch width. Will this change handling or ride characteristics?

For R owners out there, I'd be happy to give up a little handling in exchange for reduced side-hop from the 4C suspension. Any reason to expect that a slightly narrower wheel will change the side-hop thing? thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: considering 2nd set of wheels--does 8" vs. 7.5" vs. 7" width matter? (kenschel)

The tire size that you mount to the new wheels will control the width, as each tire size has a "range" for fitment, safety wise, to the wheel width.

In general, and to really not answer the question of the bump, one needs to retain the overall circumference of the OE setup vs. the replacement to within a max of 0.25", as most experts recommend. Also, the new "offset" of the new wheel should be within 5mm of the OE spec offset.

Also, be sure that the new wheel is "hub-centric", whereby the wheel hole matches the vehicle hub diameter, or whether the wheel manufacturer has wheel hub spacers for the difference specific to the wheel of choice.

Re: considering 2nd set of wheels--does 8" vs. 7.5" vs. 7" width matter? (kenschel)

The familiarity that you have found in driving your vehicle with the 8" wheels, will decrease in the areas of braking, emergency handling, and cornering with a smaller width wheel.

Re: considering 2nd set of wheels--does 8" vs. 7.5" vs. 7" width matter? (jone)

Quote, originally posted by jone »
      Also, the new "offset" of the new wheel should be within 5mm of the OE spec offset.

You can't make that claim unless you're talking specifically about the same wheel width. 8" ET46 and 7" ET41 are within 5mm, but the back spacing difference is closing in on 1".

I would not put narrower wheels on with factory sized tires. 235's will be OK on 7.5", but 7" is pushing it. 8" is a nice width to have.

6. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements