All Terrain Tyres/Tires
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

All Terrain Tyres/Tires

Has anyone seen an XC60 with all terrain tyres fitted (particularly on 18 inch wheels).

I like the idea of the grip and durability on gravel roads etc given that my XC60 does not have a spare.

Any thoughts?

Any photos?

Thanks
      Richard

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

AVID ASCEND (H- OR V-SPEED RATED

I was wondering more on the lines of if these guys can do it....

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

...This is what I'm thinking...not mine...anyone else done this?

On my Honda Element I have Toyo Open Country A/T tires (on 2nd set) and really like them year around. Was actually looking at the current Open Country A/T II tires for the Volvo (255/55R18 109H should work - https://www.toyotires.com/tire/patte...-terrain-tires). Probably not gonna happen very quickly since I'd have to essentially get a brand new tire/wheel package, but it's on my list. The current OEM 20" Scorpion Zeros wear too fast (20K mi and the former front tires are nearly to the wear bars). So a second set for spring/winter would be nice (don't need dedicated snow tires).
      2015 XC60 T6 RD, P+, Blis, climate, black sapphire
      previous: 2005 S60R magic blue/atacama 6mt (lease returned '08)

Just checked...the fronts are at 3mm and the backs a little more. I should swap them around but given I'm not keen on going under 3mm it may be my excuse the get the A/T tyres...just wish I could find a photo of them in 235/60r18 on an XC60.

I recently put Yokohama Geolandar G015 on my '10 T6. Got stock size: 235/60/18. I'll paste my thoughts from the fb group below.

Tires are actually pretty quiet on the highway, didn't hear them with the windows up or down. Didn't feel floaty, but I'll take some country roads tomorrow when I'm off to get a feel for that.
      I could hear them in the parking deck at work with the windows down, but they weren't real loud.
      Country roads the tires felt kind of mushy, but not as bad as the General Altimax Arctic 215/55/17 I have on my Subaru. They held the road though with some spirited driving and didn't scream about it. Heavy braking felt controlled.
      On gravel roads, they held very well. No spin with DSTC on and the car just wanted to stay straight, didn't get too squirrelly on turns with throttle. Turning DSTC off, I got some spin and could get the back end loose, but it wasn't drastic or harsh. They stopped very well on the gravel too.

Last edited by TheStillMan; 08-30-2017 at 08:45 AM.
      2010 XC60 T6 Sapphire Black Metallic (TFT DIM retrofit, DynoMax muffler, Eibach lowering springs & Koni struts, HardRace adjustable rear toe arms)
      2004 Subaru Legacy Outback wagon 2.5 White Frost Pearl (Also mine) | 2011 Chevy Equinox LT1 AWD Olympic White (Hers)

Thanks for posting this; really good to hear your real world experience and to see what they look like on the XC60.
      Richard

Any further thoughts on this? I ended up replacing the original tyres with Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season and they have been great, but I did manage to take a chunk out of the tread of one down to the canvas and knocked edges off other tread too. This makes me wonder whether they are best for our roads/my driving.

The G015 are now available here at a reasonable price.

Many thanks

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RichardinNZ View Post
      Any further thoughts on this? I ended up replacing the original tyres with Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season and they have been great, but I did manage to take a chunk out of the tread of one down to the canvas and knocked edges off other tread too. This makes me wonder whether they are best for our roads/my driving.

The G015 are now available here at a reasonable price.

Many thanks

My G015s have been on for just a tad under 50k miles and look like they have about this winter left on them. They have a 60k mile rated. Up until 2 months ago, they were seeing highway for about 300 miles a week for 2 years, and still see frequent back twisty roads.
      Overall I've been happy with them. I was surprised with how little noise they make given the type of tire.
      2010 XC60 T6 Sapphire Black Metallic (TFT DIM retrofit, DynoMax muffler, Eibach lowering springs & Koni struts, HardRace adjustable rear toe arms)
      2004 Subaru Legacy Outback wagon 2.5 White Frost Pearl (Also mine) | 2011 Chevy Equinox LT1 AWD Olympic White (Hers)

I doubt anyone here is going to Moab or mudding, so the Dick Cepek route would be overkill.
      Have you looked at Nokian tires. They're a long established and respected Finnish tire company who are primarily known for the very budget friendly, but well performing winter and snow tires.

They also make an All-Terrain line of tires which I would imagine are equally as capable and affordable. I would probably start my search there.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

Unfortunately Nokia aren't too cost effective here.

The Stillman do you have any photos of your car with them fitted?

Many thanks

Unfortunately Nokia aren't too cost effective here.

The Stillman do you have any photos of your car with them fitted?

Many thanks

Best I have at the moment. I can take a better one later after work.
      2.1.jpg

Thank you, that would be great (the photo you just posted is showing as blocked).

Thank you, that would be great (the photo you just posted is showing as blocked).

Weird. Maybe try viewing it on a web browser instead of tapatalk, it's attached as an attachment on Swedespeed.
      And I totally forgot to get another pic, I'll try to remember tomorrow.

I tried on my PC as well as Tapatalk... Both wouldn't work! Thanks

I tried on my PC as well as Tapatalk... Both wouldn't work! Thanks

Whoops... Wasn't showing on Tapatalk but realised I wasn't logged on on the website version. I can now see the photo on the website. Looks good. Many thanks.

Whoops... Wasn't showing on Tapatalk but realised I wasn't logged on on the website version. I can now see the photo on the website. Looks good. Many thanks.

Here are some closer pics I grabbed at lunch. My car does sit on lowering springs, so it's about an inch lower than stock (the tires are stock size, 235/60/18)
      Excuse the dirty car and that stupid rust spot

IMG_20200203_120238.jpgIMG_20200203_120248.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TheStillMan View Post
      Here are some closer pics I grabbed at lunch. My car does sit on lowering springs, so it's about an inch lower than stock (the tires are stock size, 235/60/18)
      Excuse the dirty car and that stupid rust spot

IMG_20200203_120238.jpgIMG_20200203_120248.jpg
      Many thanks for those pictures; they look good on the car.

Got the tires fitted today. Pretty quiet on the motorway driving back.

Nationwide four week lockdown starts in New Zealand tomorrow so it'll be a while before I get to really try them out. Gives me time to clean the very dirty car in the meantime.

I was wondering more on the lines of if these guys can do it....

I don't wanna replace my tires this year, but, already eyeballing meatier rubber and a few ebay lift kits.
      Definitely a more aggressive look!
      The classic cruiser, 1972 164E, Alpine Blue Metallic.
      The new daily, 2011 XC60 T6 AWD, Terra Bronze Metallic.

Previous:
      2009 S60 2.5T AWD, Ice White, Shark Stage 1
      2001 S60 fwd

For the most current photos of the day, find me on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by spiked60 View Post
      I don't wanna replace my tires this year, but, already eyeballing meatier rubber and a few ebay lift kits.
      Definitely a more aggressive look!
      I'd be interested to see an XC60 with the lift kit. I've not seen photos of any with a kit fitted.

25. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements