What model year would you choose if you buy an R again. - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

View Poll Results: No matter price. Similar condition and miles. Which model year would you choose?

Voters
    45. You may not vote on this poll
    • 2003-2004

3 6.67%

0 0%

12 26.67%

30 66.67%
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Our 2007.5 (steel control arm and aux) does not have TPMS either.

What is wrong with TPMS?
      late 2007 V70R GT, Electric Silver, Nord, - 4C delete with Bilies on stock springs- adjustable rear spring perches 135,xxx
      1995 Olive Green T5-R 855, 220K, everything works except headlight wipers!
      1996 Civic Hatch Yo! Koni/Eibach Pro/ST sway bars/99-00 SI FR brakes/D16y5 lean burn swap(40 mpg going 80 mph!)/DC sports 421 header/2.5" all the way back/Vibrant Reso/magnaflow muffler/s2000 seat and steering wheel/rebuilt transmission/d16Y8 being rebuilt on an engine stand with ported head/ARP yada yada/12lb flywheel/new 75.5mm oem pistons/ported recoated rotors m45 JRSC/Mfactory LSD in a box/water meth setup/220 HP/150 ftlbs is just a kiss away!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Going to Europe? Sell your car, and buy something you can't get in the states!!

The possibilities are endless!!
      2004 S60R 6MT Titanium Gray/Nordkap; Hilton Stage II, Snabb intake, K&N, Eight8 Fab 3" catless DP, IPD 3" oval catback.

Quote Originally Posted by M_RED_S60R View Post
      Going to Europe? Sell your car, and buy something you can't get in the states!!

The possibilities are endless!!
      haha

Im Spanish. I cant imagine nothing better than the R for less money.

I love the Bmw 335i (2007) coupe, but It costs much more. Same with Audi A5 for example..

In Europe we say the same as you, Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers and challengers..
      Last edited by xuanxo02; 04-05-2017 at 02:34 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

You always add TPMS after the fact like I did.

One of the best mods I added to the R, especially since it tells me tire temps too in addition to tire pressure. Its great for when you are really pushing the R around and would like to know when the rubber and brakes are getting really hot, or when you are playing around in cold temps and want to be sure the tires have warmed up before you really push them.

Quote Originally Posted by xuanxo02 View Post

I love the Bmw 335i (2007) coupe, but It costs much more. Same with Audi A5 for example..
      My 2 cents. Just stay away from both brands.... unless you want more trouble and an empty wallet.

If I would need to walk in your shoes:

1. Check what's required to transport the car from the States to Spain
      2. Check how much import duty etc you'll need to pay to get the Spanish reg plate.
      3. I assume the car also needs to go through the National Car Test to be road legal in Spain. So check if anything needs to be changed/added on your car (ex in most European Countries it is mandatory to have headlight wipers if the car is fitted with Bi Xenons by factory) + plus add the cost of the Test.

Once you get all of these, should be able to decide if its worth the effort & $$$$ to be done.

Pros:
      You have a car what you already know.
      Atacama interior (which is rare)

Cons:
      All the hassle and money mentioned above.

vs

Getting an R in Europe/Spain won't be easy.
      Possibly overpriced
      You won't know anything about the cars till you check them in person. (Stamped Service history means nothing!)

Best of luck!
      SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

Hmm, wait... fast, a roomy sedan or wagon, more than 300bhp, not to expensive and no crazy mileages....

Try a 2003 to 2005 Audi C5 RS6, BI-Turbo 4.2 V8 and 450 bhp, those can be found for 7 to 15.000 euro, with fair mileages.

Take a look at www.mobile.de ;-)

Im from Zaragoza, but I dont know yet if will live in Zaragoza or Madrid.

Did you like Sevilla, beautiful girls, right? haha
      I loved it. I'd go back in a heartbeat. One day if I win the lottery, I'll retire over there and bring my R with me.

I think if I were in your shoes, I'd definitely bring the car with me. Especially with prices the way they are over there, you could always sell it there and get something different.
      2006 S60R MT Sonic Blue with Atacama - Garage Queen
      2008 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red with Off Black - Hers
      2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI MT, 2001 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L MT 60th Anniversary Edition
      Previously: 2010 S80 V8, 2006 V70R MT, 2004 S60R MT, 1993 245 NA, 2006 XC90 V8, 2002 Dakota V8 MT

Quote Originally Posted by Vasquez View Post
      Hmm, wait... fast, a roomy sedan or wagon, more than 300bhp, not to expensive and no crazy mileages....

Try a 2003 to 2005 Audi C5 RS6, BI-Turbo 4.2 V8 and 450 bhp, those can be found for 7 to 15.000 euro, with fair mileages.

There is very good reason why those are not so expensive..... obviously if you can afford the maintenance and have a trustworthy garage in the back-pocket why not....
      SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

Quote Originally Posted by htomi View Post
      My 2 cents. Just stay away from both brands.... unless you want more trouble and an empty wallet.
      Ive been told that the 335i in particular have some serious problems.

If I would need to walk in your shoes:

1. Check what's required to transport the car from the States to Spain
      2. Check how much import duty etc you'll need to pay to get the Spanish reg plate.
      3. I assume the car also needs to go through the National Car Test to be road legal in Spain. So check if anything needs to be changed/added on your car (ex in most European Countries it is mandatory to have headlight wipers if the car is fitted with Bi Xenons by factory) + plus add the cost of the Test.

Once you get all of these, should be able to decide if its worth the effort & $$$$ to be done.
      In fact Im doing that homework these last two weeks. As Im resident here and I will live there I havent to pay the most expensive duties (about 1250 euros) for the import and also I can avoid to pay the duties for the reg plate (600 eur).
      About the car modifications Im lucky so far because my car is European version (Im in Mexico) and headlights and motor and everything is the same as in Europe. In fact the car was imported by Volvo in 2004 to sell it here.

Getting an R in Europe/Spain won't be easy.
      Possibly overpriced
      You won't know anything about the cars till you check them in person. (Stamped Service history means nothing!)

Best of luck!
      Was thinking about getting a R there in Germany maybe or something but to the price of the car Id have to add the import duties to Spain (not residence change, you pay taxes) plus the reg plate duties, about 2000 euros in total. Possibly not worth the money.

Besides, my car has the clutch new (less than 10.000 kms) and other money invested (timing belt + water pump and other advanced Stage 0 done).

Yeah but... A V8 will have a bigger maintenance cost over a R.

With the R im at the limit of what I can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by esmith813 View Post
      I loved it. I'd go back in a heartbeat. One day if I win the lottery, I'll retire over there and bring my R with me.

I think if I were in your shoes, I'd definitely bring the car with me. Especially with prices the way they are over there, you could always sell it there and get something different.
      haha I hope that

Its a difficult decision for sure.

We were talking about expensive to buy right, not to maintain

Audi RS6 is a really sick car but sadfully i do not dare to own one myself over here.
      In the Netherlands they are very popular as getaway-cars for criminals busting ATM's, for real!!

Is all over the new for the past 2 years, they even call them the "Audi-Gang"
      They blow-up ATM's in the Netherlands and Germany and then use the cars to race back over the autobahn and interstates.
      Rarely get caught because the police-cars are not fast enough....
      I am not making this up!

Looked at one before i bought the V70R but rather not pay ridiculous insurance fees, so prefer to stick with sleeper Volvo's
      Also don't like my car to get stolen by idiots

Check this !

https://translate.google.com/transla...nederland.html
      Last edited by Vasquez; 04-05-2017 at 03:56 PM.

No love for the 05, hahaha. Who wants an AW55 anyway...
      06R - Custom Electric Blue Silver - Suntek PPF / IGL Kenzo Coated / Llumar Airblue 80 / Huper Optic 40
      07R - Magic Blue IGL - Sold

Seemingly, I have 07.5 b cause I have the aux jack. I'll have to check serial num to know for sure.
      Quote Originally Posted by Caboose View Post
      My 07 VR has no TMPS, but DOES have the steel control arms. Now if I could only find an M66...

The control arm change over is based on chassis number. See below:

2007 V70 and V70R w/ steel control arms
      (Factory Code 1 chassis number 647149 and higher, FC 2 chassis number 645618 and higher)
      2007 S60 and S60R w/ steel control arms (chassis number 626502 and higher)
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Owned an 07' GT w/ steel control arms and currently owning 07' M66 with same steel control arms. If Id do it again, no doubt 07' GT!!

That's a shame. Next to an 07, they're the next rarest year. Ton of 04, drop in production for 05, increase back for 06, and the bottom dropped out for 07 production.
      Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

I think that everything that I would want from an 06 or 07, I can add to my 04, with the exception of the faster Haldex. I have the best seats, I have the newer centre console, I can add any TPMS, and I'm now looking for a set of painted exterior trim. I don't care about the faster auto because I'm a snob and will never buy an auto. Is there anything else that an 07 has that I'm missing?

As for same condition/mileage, my car only has 174k km and is in good shape, so really the only reason I'd get rid of it for a newer/different V70R is if I can get something with super low miles, or a special color combo (I'm a fan of Magic Blue).

For looking in Europe, I would search for the best condition car, and go from there. You can always swap transmissions (Hilton can tune your car to swap a manual I believe), same with interiors.
      | 04 V70R Titanium Grey/Nordkap M66 | Hilton Stage 2 | Mototec DP & Touring Exhaust | ERST Springs | Summer Mode: 18" Fast FC04A | Winter Mode: 18" Pegs |

Ive been told that the 335i in particular have some serious problems.
      Here are the collection of the 20 most popular engines (in Europe) which should be avoided when purchased as used.
      Unfortunately the article is only available in Czech or Hungarian languages. Perhaps google translate can help, however brands and engine codes are self explanatory.
      Czech - original article: http://www.autorevue.cz/techto-20-mo...rokym-obloukem
      Hungarian - translated from the original Czech article: http://totalcar.hu/magazin/technika/...meg_tipushiba/
      Last edited by htomi; 04-06-2017 at 06:00 AM.

Lot to find about the N54 and N55 BMW 335 engines.

The N54 tends to be less reliable than the N55 , the latter more or less without problems.
      All can be greatly exaggerated though, problems are more in the bolt-ons than in the engine itself.

The N54 is called "the new supra" for a reason, the engine-lower can withstand +700bhp over time without strengthening, look around and you'll see
      No such thing as cracked cilinderwalls as with our S60/V70 2.5R engines.

If well taken care of, these can be great cars.

^ Indeed, one of the few cars I've ever considered as a replacement for the R is a 335xi manual N54 or N55. HP fuel pump issues tend to be prevalent with these cars, but it seems that they are fairly reliable actually. I just can't get rid of the R in the end... too attached to it frankly and hard for anything to compare. Plus I see too much opportunity to mod the 335 and that's the last thing I need now!

I have heard of some engine failures on the N54 and N55 around 550 rhwp though. Seems that 500 rwhp or so is the safe limit.
      07 S60R Electric Slvr/Nordkap 6MT Darton Sleeved/Rods/Pistons, RaceS60R FMIC, IPD Sways, Spec Stg3+ SMF, PDV Collar Sleeve, EFR7163, PM3, Aeromotive 340 fp, ID1050x, RS4 MAF, Devils Own Meth & Contrast Tune
      01 Audi S4, Tial 605's, built engine, etc
      93 Mustang Cobra, Incon Twin Turbo 347 Dart, etc

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
      Its not allways about what we prefer, with the limited number of R's available it is more a case of what is available at the time.

recently sold my '03 V70R in flash green/gobi auto with 90k and 5 owners for 7,000 ($8,700) and replaced
      with a one owner fully stock '05/06 V70R manual in magic blue/nordkap and 30k miles for 12,000 ($15,000).
      Very happy with my '05, and trying to find a good example '07 is not easy! especially a manual!
      Last edited by cadaron; 04-06-2017 at 12:12 PM.
      2005 V70R Magic Blue Pearl 467 MT; 2013 V60 Rdesign Rebel Blue 619 MT.
      previous; 2011 XC60 D5 AWD R DEsign MT; 2003 V70R flash green GT; 2001 C70 T5 GT convertible; V50 2.0 sport; V70 D5; V70R P1; 850 T5; 760 GLE; 760 turbo;

Quote Originally Posted by cadaron View Post
      Its not allways about what we prefer, with the limited number of R's available it is more a case of what is available at the time.

recently sold my '03 V70R in flash green/gobi auto with 90k and 5 owners for 7,000 ($8,700) and replaced
      with a one owner fully stock '05/06 V70R manual in magic blue/nordkap and 30k miles for 12,000 ($15,000).
      Very happy with my '05, and trying to find a good example '07 is not easy! especially a manual!
      Tell me about it, thats why I have an 06 an not an 07.
      06R - Custom Electric Blue Silver - Suntek PPF / IGL Kenzo Coated / Llumar Airblue 80 / Huper Optic 40
      07R - Magic Blue IGL - Sold

Actually, if they even exist, let alone find one, I'd take an 05 flash green/atacama VR w/M66. Then any 07.
      2007 SapphiCama V70R 400K+/Km
      R-Kelly Intake/CFE/H&R 5/15 spacers

How nice would it be to have YOUR R cruising around in Spain.
      Personally I'd ship it over and just enjoy it. As mentioned... unless you want to pick up a rare car you cant get otherwise (which would take time to find) I'd be content spending the $2k getting the R there to have... you will know exactly what you have.

I'm not particularly hung up on model years (love the 3 blink blinkers tho), but figured 07 would be most updated and collectible. I always wanted a '91 SPG Saab (last year) and couldn't find one and I never forgot that when looking for the R.
      I am however determined to own M66 at some point, S or V.

Ship it over... these caR's are rare everywhere.

*production dates are found in the door jamb of the Rear door, drivers side.
      2007 V70 R GT Sapphire Nordkap 64k
      1999 V70 T5 M56 Emerald Green 121k
      1998 V70 XC Black 212k

Previous - 1999 SAAB Viggen / 1990 SAAB 900 Turbo 275k miles

Also, the 07's do have aux jack as well. However, from what I heard it was only the late models ( I assume with steel control arms) that have the aux jack. Both my 07's had the aux.

Don't need aux in if you get a GROM, then you have bluetooth as well.
      | 04 V70R Titanium Grey/Nordkap M66 | Hilton Stage 2 | Mototec DP & Touring Exhaust | ERST Springs | Summer Mode: 18" Fast FC04A | Winter Mode: 18" Pegs |

Quote Originally Posted by 3AK47 View Post
      Also, the 07's do have aux jack as well. However, from what I heard it was only the late models ( I assume with steel control arms) that have the aux jack. Both my 07's had the aux.
      07.5 has them standard

Quote Originally Posted by Enraged View Post
      Don't need aux in if you get a GROM, then you have bluetooth as well.
      This^

Judge me all you guys want but I'm very content with the stock HU in these cars, a GROM unit will bring the car mostly up to date in terms of hands free calling and music streaming

Isn't that the V8 that the timing chain guides eat themselves and are located on the back of the motor? Requires an engine pull to replace.

2004 S60R M66 Flash Green/Atacama
      2004 V70R M66 Mystic Silver/Gobi
      2004 V70 2.5T
      1997 S90
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2004 S60R Flash Green Atacama M66
      2004 V70 2.5T
      1997 S90

30. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2