Can the Volvo tranny cooler be modded to be an oil cooler?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Can the Volvo tranny cooler be modded to be an oil cooler?

While I had the bumper off to do the airbox snorkel I got to thinking about the Volvo transmission cooler kit and whether or not it would be possible to modify the hoses and use it as an oil cooler for MT cars. Any reason a transmission cooler couldn't also be an oil cooler? You could tap into the existing cooler fittings at the back of the engine.

Would increase oil capacity too which I think would be a good thing.

Pics are from we R obsessed's thread.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Can the Volvo tranny cooler be modded to be an oil cooler? (StaggRLee)

C'mon, nodody has any thoughts on this?

there are a lot of oil coolers that are cheaper and "better".......... will post some links... I'd want something with AN10 fittings (to assure flow)

http://www.holley.com/data/Cat...).pdf

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: Can the Volvo tranny cooler be modded to be an oil cooler? (JimLill)

Oh.... and I'd put in the RH grill besides.... the LH has the CAI inlet!

That 30636908 bracket that is used to support the cooler would work on either side....

Oh... but wait....massive washer bottle on RH side.... CAI doesn't really interefere on LH so cooler on LH

Quote, originally posted by JimLill »
      Oh.... and I'd put in the RH grill besides.... the LH has the CAI inlet!.

Not necessary and could be a hinderence.
      IF you want an oil cooler buy one with a thermostat and mount it underneath the car.
      UNLESS YOU ARE TRACKING THE CAR the oil temp will not get hot enough and to proper temp, plus, in the winter could never get to operating temp, in fact it will be dangerously low
      I know this for a fact on a car I put a cooler on years ago, this was in So Cal.
      (911, which, as you may know, run, live and die by oil temp.
      The proper temp on an (older) 911 was around 200-210 with 230 being the MAX you would want to run.
      It would take me 1/2 hour to get to 190 and another hour of hard driving to get to 210. In the LA "winter" I made a block off plate for the front as it wouldn't budge off the low temp hash mark
      This was a large front mounted oil cooler. Obviously an R cooler would be smaller but you don't want direct outside air cooling it. Underneath is fine
      Damn thing never got to operating temp on the street so be careful as very cold oil is almost as bad as too hot oil temp.
      Trust me on this one from experience
      Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 117K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 158,000 miles and still near perfect!

Re: Can the Volvo tranny cooler be modded to be an oil cooler? (JRL)

you're correct Jim... any add on cooler should have a T-stat...

http://www.holley.com/products.asp?product=501ERL

Combine that with a 21610ERL cooler @ $100

Thanks Jim.

There's not much room on the right with the washer resevoir. None really IMO.

I was thinking that since the stock cooler is an exact fit the convenience might offset the cost. we R obsessed wired a 6.5" 300 cfm fan on the cooler and that with the remaining air flow from the fog should be sufficient. It wouldn't be that difficult to have the fan thermostatically switched.

My real concern would be flow rates and whether viscosity plays a role. we R obsessed says that the tranny cooler itself has a thermal bypass and I'm not sure if the threshold would be correct for engine oil.

Use a proper small ENGINE oil cooler, you don't need a large one, read my edits in post
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 117K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 158,000 miles and still near perfect!

Again correct Jim....

That 21610 is small and you NEED 10AN size lines to get the follow you MUST have on engine oil..

I have run these things on tow rigs etc. and know what you mean about warm-up issues...

Quote, originally posted by JRL »

so be careful as very cold oil is almost as bad as too hot oil temp.
      Trust me on this one from experience

Even more so on turbo cars and yes I do trust most of the advice given here. It's why I ask. And thanks I'm "unsold" on the idea.

has anyone looked closely at the stock cooler housing on the back of the engine? i do not know how you are going to "modify" that cooler to run 2 lines to the front.
      my only idea is to remove it totally and loop the coolant lines, then tap, or weld, fittings into the engine block for the lines....
      seems like alot of work to me...

Nothing wrong with your idea but the problem (for all of us) is NO OIL TEMP GAUGE
      A real good idea on a performance car which unfortunately almost no cars have anymore.
      I would think the best idea would be to install an oil temp gauge FIRST.
      You may be surprised to find out that this engine is already oil cooled enough, one doesn't know until one finds out
      JRL

damn right.

Re: (garbergtsi)

Quote, originally posted by garbergtsi »
      has anyone looked closely at the stock cooler housing on the back of the engine? i do not know how you are going to "modify" ...

Not really, but if it is impossible to tap at that location, some sort of CNC'd plate adapter would have to be used. You can also either relocate the filter or use an adapter that fits betwwen the filter and the block. But if it sticks down too far and you have no belly pan...

Richard was working on a cooler kit. Wonder what he came up with.

A lot of good points have already been made. I was thinking about adding an engine oil cooler at one point in time, but decided it wasn't worth the trouble. I figure that the power steering fluid temperature will need to be addressed long before the temperature of the engine oil.

Here is the oil/coolant plate cooler on the back of the oil pan:

Re: Can the Volvo tranny cooler be modded to be an oil cooler? (we R obsessed)

Quote, originally posted by we R obsessed »
      Here is the oil/coolant plate cooler on the back of the oil pan:

does that cool or warm the oil?

Quote, originally posted by JimLill »

does that cool or warm the oil?

It's designed to do both...

Re: Can the Volvo tranny cooler be modded to be an oil cooler? (we R obsessed)

haha.
      its also designed to make a nice milkshake when it goes bad, lol

I agree that a plate would be the best way to do it, and loop the coolant lines.
      but is it needed? i doubt it...

21. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements