SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Can anyone explain why T8's AWD mode feels less powerful and less surefooted than Power Mode?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Gary-16-Xc90 
#1 ·
During heavy rain driving, I noticed that my T8 in Hybrid mode easily aquaplanes and any slight increase in acceleration exacerbates the situation.

So I switched it to AWD mode. The situation improved but the car was still a little unsteady. I then switched it to Power mode. What big difference this made. Suddenly, the car was more surefooted than in any other driving mode. And it felt a little more powerful than in AWD though in the latter it makes use of both the ICE and electric motors, yet I wondered why it didn't feel as secure and powerful as it was in Power mode.

Any ideas?

As for me, I've resolved to not use anything other than Power mode whenever the road surface is full of water to ensure that the car doesn't slip off corners or lose control next to other cars in heavy rains. You may need to do likewise

#2 ·
The only explanation I can give you is that in Power mode you have both FWD and RWD at the same time whereas in the other models the FWD and RWD set ups interact as slippage occurs. Last, in Power mode, you have more power available to you which adds to the "placebo" effect of the car being steadier.

#3 ·
That explains it then. But I now wonder why when I display the Driver Performance tab when in AWD mode, it shows both ICE and electric motors running at the same time, just as it happens when in Power mode. Maybe this display is lying or inaccurately reporting incorrect status.

#4 · (Edited)
My understanding is that when the drive mode is set on AWD, it is running both ICE and and electric - just like Power.

The [US T8] owner's manual says:
All Wheel Drive (AWD)

Your Volvo can be equipped with All Wheel Drive, which means that power is distributed automatically between the front and rear wheels.

The electric motor that powers the rear wheels enables electronic all wheel drive functionality.

Under normal driving conditions, most of the engine's power is directed to the front wheels. However, if there is any tendency for the front wheels to spin, an electronically controlled coupling distributes power to the wheels that have the best traction.

AWD reacts differently, depending on the drive mode selected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.