SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Simple perspective 6 squirrels vs 4 squirrels

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  NinjaT5 
#1 · (Edited)
6 squirrel engine
Factory build ,external mods to = polestar
SI6 engine ( England Build)

4 squirrel engine , factory build internal conversion shorter rods to reduce compression from 10.5 to 8.6 + external mods to = polestar

--------
6cyl appears to have a generic build

4cyl appears to have a specific " for polestar build "

B4204T43 engine #
--

See less See more
#2 ·
The 6cyl block is internally identical to the usual T6 304hp unit.

The 4cyl block is not the same as the T6 320hp unit.

As you say the 6cyl is made P* by external items, the 4cyl is made P* by both internal and external items. Technically making the 4cyl more P* than the 6, but the 6 still sounds better :)

#6 ·
Doesnt make it better. It just means the base 2.0L was just too far off the benchmark power needed to allow it to be marketable as a successor to the 3.0L

Volvo was against making many of the changes, for example lowering the compression ratio for the polestar 2.0L as it meant new parts and more cost, but the engineers said that it was basically a requirement to hit the power goals without grenading the engine on pump gas.

Im pretty sure that it cost Volvo more to use the 2.0L in the end, but they had no choice since the 3.0L was built in a factory part owned by Ford, i think that was a bigger issue than the emissions.

Hands down the 3.0L is the superior street car and its closer to the original Polestar concept.

#11 ·
Hands down the 3.0L is the superior street car and its closer to the original Polestar concept.
Interesting, why do you say that?

I just put a deposit on a 2018, I wanted the later year model because of the ZF8 instead of the 6-speed...I have that old 6-speed in our E91 and the lazy shifts drive me insane, and I had heard in reviews the early models suffered the same issue.

#9 ·
Yes, you would need a new fuel pump, larger turbo, new conrods, new camshaft, larger air intake, new freer-flowing air filter for that intake, and the changes in the piping to accommodate all that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.