Go faster mods, best bang for the $
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Go faster mods, best bang for the $

Hi All,

Ive got a budget of about 2k to spend on my 2012 s60 t6 with the p* tune. I was originally considering suspension mods, but that starts with my tires, and right now they are basically brand new.

Budget wise i could do a turbo back from IPD and the do88, but ive heard it doesn't do a whole lot because of the computer limits.
      Im curious what the best way to spend 2k is to make the car faster in a line. I would like to do the catback just for the enjoyment of the sound.

is the TDI tune box effective? http://www.vivaperformance.com/tdi-t...0l-6-cylinder/

Am I better off investing in the mods for a hilton stage 2?

Other than the p* tune the car is completely stock.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

hmmm intersting
      2003 mustang COBRA ( SVT 10th anniversary ) born on 6-26-03/ 4634 of 5082 of verts & 955th of 2003 SVT 10th ANNIV edition`s
      97 cobra pacific green 1 of 27 , 89 mustang LX 5.0 , 2012 Volvo S60 ( T-6 )

People are giving the TDI rave reviews. But it's still basically a "canned tune." If you get something from Hilton he can optimize as needed to fully take advantage of your bolt ons. But at 2k limit that's not really gonna get you far sadly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Young Satchel View Post
      People are giving the TDI rave reviews. But it's still basically a "canned tune." If you get something from Hilton he can optimize as needed to fully take advantage of your bolt ons. But at 2k limit that's not really gonna get you far sadly.

Yeah, I realize that im not getting a huge gain, im in that group of mods where im preparing for the next round that will make a bigger difference. Im just curious what the best way to spend is to get the most bang for my buck.

IPD or elevate rear sway bar - $ 250
      HD rear sway end links - $35 ish
      DO88 intercooler - $500 ish
      Custom exhaust - resonator delete and transverse muffler (borla, mag afoot or dynomax) - TDI tune - $500
      Colder NGK spark plugs - $50
      Airbox - mod the stock box (free), snabb box (on sale at viva now for $400), elevate box (coming soon for Powerflex engine mount bushings - $35

That's how I'd spend the $$ I think. Would skip the downpipe if I had to do it again, and haven't done TDI yet. I have all the rest on my car and am very pleased with them all!
      FOR SALE - 2014 XC60 T6 - P* Tune, K-Pax Exhaust, DO88 FMIC, Ferrita DP, Snabb Intake & Turbo Pipe, TSW Bathurst w/ Conti DWS06, R-Design Suspension, IPD Rear Sway, Morimoto D2S 4.0 HID Projectors, Powerflex Bushings, Colder NGK Plugs
      SOLD - 2007 XC90 V8 Sport - IPD Sways/Subframe Inserts/Strut Bar Conversion, Stoptech Rotors

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestMoose View Post
      IPD or elevate rear sway bar - $ 250
      HD rear sway end links - $35 ish
      DO88 intercooler - $500 ish
      Custom exhaust - resonator delete and transverse muffler (borla, mag afoot or dynomax) - TDI tune - $500
      Colder NGK spark plugs - $50
      Airbox - mod the stock box (free), snabb box (on sale at viva now for $400), elevate box (coming soon for Powerflex engine mount bushings - $35

That's how I'd spend the $$ I think. Would skip the downpipe if I had to do it again, and haven't done TDI yet. I have all the rest on my car and am very pleased with them all!

Can you elabnorate on the stock airbox mod? Im really hesitant to spend 400$ on some plastic and a filter.

It's been too long since I've done a write up of any of my mods. Here's my DIY:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...05#post5290905
      FOR SALE - 2014 XC60 T6 - P* Tune, K-Pax Exhaust, DO88 FMIC, Ferrita DP, Snabb Intake & Turbo Pipe, TSW Bathurst w/ Conti DWS06, R-Design Suspension, IPD Rear Sway, Morimoto D2S 4.0 HID Projectors, Powerflex Bushings, Colder NGK Plugs
      SOLD - 2007 XC90 V8 Sport - IPD Sways/Subframe Inserts/Strut Bar Conversion, Stoptech Rotors

A good set of tires and driving lessons.

Ohhh...forgot about tires. Yes! Maybe take the $$ saved on the airbox and spend it on tires...should cover at least one tire :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 300+_T5R_855 View Post
      A good set of tires and driving lessons.
      Im doing autox school next month .... should at least help with the driver mod. The car has brand new tires on it, so id rather just wait for them to wear out before slapping some summers on.

I am about to order the TDI box, so that is a fairly definite upgrade
      Also on the definite list (next month) is the D088 FMIC

the other item that i am considering which is somewhat fluid right now is the IPD turboback system.
      I love the sound of the KPAX, but the pricing is just way too high for me considering i can get the IPD turbo back for the price of the KPAX catback.
      Is there anything else i should consider? Maybe another brand of Exhaust, or another mod entirely.

I would argue that the sway bar should definitely be a first round mod. The rest of your list sounds solid, though I have little experience with the IPD system.

2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

You and I are in the same boat. I'm a new SCCA Autocrosser, and I've decided to stay Stock in order to learn to drive the car. As such, I started with some O.Z. Racing Ultraleggera wheels and Bridgestone RE71R tires (only for summer runs and autox), plus the IPD sway bar in my 2015.5 V60RD. That said, I have ordered the TDI Tuning box from Viva just to see what it's all about, since it's pretty easily removable before the weekend autocross events.

Basically, wheels, tires, sway bar, and learn to drive was the decision I came to after reading SOOOOO much about it. I'll report on the TDI box when I have some time to run it and get it onto a Dyno.

Quote Originally Posted by oopfoo View Post
      You and I are in the same boat. I'm a new SCCA Autocrosser, and I've decided to stay Stock in order to learn to drive the car. As such, I started with some O.Z. Racing Ultraleggera wheels and Bridgestone RE71R tires (only for summer runs and autox), plus the IPD sway bar in my 2015.5 V60RD. That said, I have ordered the TDI Tuning box from Viva just to see what it's all about, since it's pretty easily removable before the weekend autocross events.

Basically, wheels, tires, sway bar, and learn to drive was the decision I came to after reading SOOOOO much about it. I'll report on the TDI box when I have some time to run it and get it onto a Dyno.
      appreciate the feedback, I look forward to the dyno numbers.

I just pulled the trigger, Connor at VIVA gave me a good deal on it. Im kind of split between doing the turboback or the downpipe, With the already increased boost, I definitely want some flow mods, (IC, DP) Id love the noise of the catback, but I could get the sway bar, and a few other small things.

All my friends and I are really excited to see it at autocross school.

My Tdi box arrives today, hopefully I can get it on tonight and provide some impressions. Its supposed to be an easy install.

Banner Advertiser Connor @ ViVA's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by 04lss View Post
      My Tdi box arrives today, hopefully I can get it on tonight and provide some impressions. Its supposed to be an easy install.
      Let us know how you make out!

Quote Originally Posted by Connor @ ViVA View Post
      Let us know how you make out!
      Unfortunately the results so far are not ... promising.

I just got back from some testing. There is a nice straight on ramp to the interstate near me. I did two runs, same conditions, both in sport mode both times i hit the gas at the same point.
      Not being one for the butt dyno i took video of my speedometer on both runs.
      my point of measure was 20-70, fast enogh so that 3rd gear gets a chance to pull.

1st run was with the TDI tune box. 20-70 was slightly over 5.7 seconds, quite respectable.

2nd run was with the Tune box cap (just returns everything to stock) in place slightly under 5.2 seconds

i also did a few 70-80 comparisons where the car is ONLY in third so torque limiting isnt a factor, and it is STILL faster stock.

The car is a good bit SLOWER with the tunebox installed.

Beyound this, the butt dyno tells me that the car is more sluggish, it takes longer to build into power, and its not as consistent.

I did some brief driving in mode 4, the one it comes pre-configured for. I will do more testing tomorrow. For now however im strongly considering returning it. In every metric I've assessed, Driving enjoyment, responsiveness, and measured acceleration, it actually worsens the car.

I do want to note, that VIVA was excellent during the order process.

Unfortunately the results so far are not ... promising.

I just got back from some testing. There is a nice straight on ramp to the interstate near me. I did two runs, same conditions, both in sport mode both times i hit the gas at the same point.
      Not being one for the butt dyno i took video of my speedometer on both runs.
      my point of measure was 20-70, fast enogh so that 3rd gear gets a chance to pull.

1st run was with the TDI tune box. 20-70 was slightly over 5.7 seconds, quite respectable.

2nd run was with the Tune box cap (just returns everything to stock) in place slightly under 5.2 seconds

i also did a few 70-80 comparisons where the car is ONLY in third so torque limiting isnt a factor, and it is STILL faster stock.

The car is a good bit SLOWER with the tunebox installed.

Beyound this, the butt dyno tells me that the car is more sluggish, it takes longer to build into power, and its not as consistent.

I did some brief driving in mode 4, the one it comes pre-configured for. I will do more testing tomorrow. For now however im strongly considering returning it. In every metric I've assessed, Driving enjoyment, responsiveness, and measured acceleration, it actually worsens the car.

I do want to note, that VIVA was excellent during the order process.

Update, mode 4 on the same stretch of road at about the same temps did 20-70 in 5.3 seconds. much better but still slower than stock.

That's interesting.

Almost everyone else who has installed the box has reported noticeable positive experiences. Those few who have shown dyno results have also demonstrated positive gains.

Have you performed the adaptation procedure--if any--properly? Doesn't it take time after install for the car to adapt?

To be clear, I don't know any more about the box than I've read on here, so I'm certainly not saying your wrong, just seems strange to me that no one else has reported an experience like this. Have you posted in the thread about the box to see what other users say?

As someone who's considering the box I'm definitely interested in hearing more about how it adapts and if performance improves. I hope for your sake it does!

I'm fairly certain that it isnt installed wrong. The connectors have unique shapes, and if any of them werent connected, i have to think the car would throw a cel. The way it works is by adding in a wiring harness that places the TDI box between the boost sensor on the intake, the boost sensor on the IC outlet pipe, and the CAM sensor. You can remove the TDI box and install the "Cap" Which is just a bridge.

Here is a link to the videos that i have taken if anyone wants to take a look https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Vk?usp=sharing

On the suggestion of tunedxc90 I put the car through a 30 mile adaptation period. Still don't really feel a difference. I'll do a final instrumented test tonight when I get home. I also reached out to Connor from viva it's possible, and I really hope ... that I'm Missing something here. Otherwise my next step is turbo back and a Hilton stage 2

What octane fuel are you running? It's possible either your car hasn't adapted fully, or you aren't able to take full advantage of the tuning box due to timing pull if your fuel quality isn't great, and/ or if you're not able to adapt to as aggressive a state of tune due to the poorer efficiency and added heat buildup (IATs with stock fmic and EGTs with stock dp). 30 miles over the course of a day or two isn't much time to adapt btw. I'd give it some more time, drive it at a bunch of different throttle settings so it adapts more fully, and possibly play around with some of the settings on the box itself.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune+TDI-Tuning : KW V3 coilovers : DO88 fmic : Ferrita downpipe : Powerflex "race" torque mount insert
      12.99 at 109mph

That makes sense but I'm running 93 octane fuel from a high volume exon. The car has never seen anything less than 93 since I bought it.

The manufacturer also noted no mods were needed.

Well then it's probably a matter of needing more time to adapt, or potentially running at a counterproductive setting that causes it to need to pull timing? Dunno.

How many miles are on your air filter? My car felt much quicker when I replaced mine with about 35k miles on it. If your filter is a bottleneck, then that could possibly impede the tune's ability to run optimally. Or perhaps your plugs are due for a change? Your car is a higher mileage S60, correct? Some of these maintenance items might need to be addressed before the tune can give you gains, and the hotter the tune, the more important it is that the supporting hardware be fresh otherwise you could be creating minor misfires or detonation that would in turn probably cause the ecu to dial back timing and boost. Or everything could be fine and it just needs more time to work its way up to optimal parameters that make safe power. Adaptation may not happen instantly.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune+TDI-Tuning : KW V3 coilovers : DO88 fmic : Ferrita downpipe : Powerflex "race" torque mount insert
      12.99 at 109mph

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnspeed View Post
      Well then it's probably a matter of needing more time to adapt, or potentially running at a counterproductive setting that causes it to need to pull timing? Dunno.

How many miles are on your air filter? My car felt much quicker when I replaced mine with about 35k miles on it. If your filter is a bottleneck, then that could possibly impede the tune's ability to run optimally. Or perhaps your plugs are due for a change? Your car is a higher mileage S60, correct? Some of these maintenance items might need to be addressed before the tune can give you gains, and the hotter the tune, the more important it is that the supporting hardware be fresh otherwise you could be creating minor misfires or detonation that would in turn probably cause the ecu to dial back timing and boost. Or everything could be fine and it just needs more time to work its way up to optimal parameters that make safe power. Adaptation may not happen instantly.

I gave the car 83 miles of interstate, backroads, mainstreets, and some general hooning behavior. Full throttle pulls, part throttle pulls normal driving,a bunch of driving types. all of this in mode 6.
      Finally i took the car back to the same spot, windows up, ac off, sunroof vented just like last night.

The car seems to be quicker than stock. If not by much. roughly 5 seconds 20-70 a minor .15 difference, but i checked both videos multiple times. the mode 6 averaged between 4.88 and 5.02 and the stock 5.1 and 5.18 more commonly around 5.18

I am willing to chock 2 tenths of a second to any number of factors, but at least its not SLOWER than stock. Tomorrow i will move it to mode 7 and see what happens.
      Most likely im going to go ahead and order the 1 range colder spark plugs. I will check the filter tomorrow. the car is at 96k. According to carcfax, until 80k all scheduled maintenance was done at the volvo dealer.

I gave the car 83 miles of interstate, backroads, mainstreets, and some general hooning behavior. Full throttle pulls, part throttle pulls normal driving,a bunch of driving types. all of this in mode 6.
      Finally i took the car back to the same spot, windows up, ac off, sunroof vented just like last night.

The car seems to be quicker than stock. If not by much. roughly 5 seconds 20-70 a minor .15 difference, but i checked both videos multiple times. the mode 6 averaged between 4.88 and 5.02 and the stock 5.1 and 5.18 more commonly around 5.18

I am willing to chock 2 tenths of a second to any number of factors, but at least its not SLOWER than stock. Tomorrow i will move it to mode 7 and see what happens.
      Most likely im going to go ahead and order the 1 range colder spark plugs. I will check the filter tomorrow. the car is at 96k. According to carcfax, until 80k all scheduled maintenance was done at the volvo dealer.
      Filter looks clean. I did 100 miles of driving on mode 7 today, multiple roads, varying throttle, and lots of pulls. This is in addition to the 85 miles i did on mode 6 yesterday. the modes are supposedly very close, so the car shouldnt have had to adapt much more to move to mode 7. The car is running exon 93 octane from a high volume station. without the tune box, the car hits 60 in 5.7 which is just a touch from stock,and im alot heavier than most drivers.

I say this because, after ~170 miles on the two highest settings, the hesitation is gone, the car feels like it pulls harder at high speed. It definitely seems to crest 100 quickly.
      Hower in the same 20-70 test, the car is back to 5.5 seconds. I dont doubt the mod works for some, but it doesnt seem to be working for me. at least not in a range of speed that ill actually use. Maybe something IS wrong with my car, but i doubt it given it hits 60 in stated times. Maybe i need the downpipe and FMIC to take advantage?

Everything I've read about modern Volvos and spark plugs said that changing from the OEM sparkplugs to ANY other plug is asking for trouble. Sometimes BIG and very expensive trouble...
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design Black Sapphire / Climate / Navigation
      IPD Rear Anti-Sway Bar, Front & Rear End-Links, & Skid Plate / Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (summer) / Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 (winter)

Hmm, what kind of big expensive trouble JML? Stock plugs were done at 26k miles...

2013 S60 T6 R-Design Black Sapphire / Climate / Navigation
      IPD Rear Anti-Sway Bar, Front & Rear End-Links, & Skid Plate / Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (summer) / Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 (winter)

Hmm, I wonder what plugs they're running in their 500hp iPD S60?

I'm running the NGK Iridium plugs. Seem to be working fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2018 XC90 T6 Inscription - Polestar tune + Racechip GTS, and Stealth Hitch
      2011 C30 (Ex K-Pax Racing)
      SOLD: 2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons (Snabb air intake & turbo pipe, Do88 Intercooler, Viva Hybrid Turbo, Ferrita downpipe, IPD exhaust catback, H&R Springs), Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

04lss, any update on your TDI issue?
      2015 XC60 RD | eibach springs | snabb intake | TDI tune | Niche 21x10 wheels

Quote Originally Posted by bhom920 View Post
      04lss, any update on your TDI issue?
      I returned the TDI, And ended up with a K&N panel filter, the IPD rear sway and some cash in my pocket. I haven't looked back since. I wouldn't try it without an FMIC and downpipe personally. And if I had both of those, id just get the Hilton tune.
      2012 S60 T6 (non R), P*, do88 FMIC, k&N drop in, IPD Sway Bar, PowerFlex "RACE" Torque Mount insert, Stop Tech Slotted Rotors, IPD turbo Back exhaust, More to come?.

Alright folks,

Thought i would bring this back up, given i just got a TDI box again over a week ago. I put 250+ miles on the car, at various states of throttle and boost. The car FELT faster. Unfortunately, tonight i did some testing. Doing multiple 60-80 pulls, recording and measuring. I saw virtually no difference. I tested: Mode 7, mode 4, off. I could feel a difference in the torque curve but not see one in the acceleration. The tune on my GTI was supposed to produce similar changes in trap speed, and i could measurably, and repeatably clock a decrease in acceleration time from 60-80.
      Acceleration was in 3rd gear, on the same stretch of road.

Given Bunnspeeds recent results with an 8 MPH increase in trap speed, i cant imagine i wouldnt be able to detect some level of difference.
      This also takes me back to my hilton tune last summer. I never could get the car to be any noticeable amount faster than stock.

There MUST be some sort of mechanical issue with the car that is preventing it from handling the extra boost. any ideas?

1. The plugs are brand new volvo OEM as of last june. (i have some NGK 1 step colders coming on monday)
      2. The air filter has been cleaned recently
      3. Mods in my sig are current
      4. car dyno'd at 284whp/360tq (pre turbo back) which is consistent with other dynos ive seen
      5. im running 93 octane exxon gas.
      6. car was in the shop a month ago, had the brake vacuum seal replaced, and i had them check for any issues.

Other Notes:

1. Boost: I used torque to monitor the boost level the ECU was seeing. On mode 7 it peaked at 8.x psi. Off it peaks around 15+, mode 4 it was 12 ish. (can anyone else with a box validate these numbers?)
      2. The car sometimes has some hesitation when trying to boost at lower rpm. It pulls lets off a bit pulls, lets off, then pulls hard. This is partial throttle, like accelerating from 35-45.
      3. I have the IPD downpipe which is 3.35 inches vs 3.5 for the ferreta, could that be the issue?
      4. The previous encounter with the TDI tune box was BEFORE the mods in my sig.

The only thing i can think of is the Coil packs, or a fuel filter. They have 115k miles on them.
      Last edited by 04lss; 04-12-2019 at 11:14 PM.
      2012 S60 T6 (non R), P*, do88 FMIC, k&N drop in, IPD Sway Bar, PowerFlex "RACE" Torque Mount insert, Stop Tech Slotted Rotors, IPD turbo Back exhaust, More to come?.

I can’t see sig’s on my iPhone so you might want to post them in case others can’t see them either.

A few thoughts before assuming it’s a mechanical issue:

Try getting some Shell 93. I’m not sure but I don’t think Exxon is a Top Tier gas. Even if it is, fuel quality is only as good as the franchise you are buying it at. Perhaps you’ll find better gas elsewhere.

Keep in mind my 109 trap speed was running a good percentage of 109 octane race gas and it was a very cold night at the track. That helped a lot. These cars, at least once they are tuned, seem to respond well to more octane and also cold air. My 109 was right around freezing temps and trap speeds would have been lower in warmer air.

Do you have the Snabb intake? That may have opened up my top end pull considerably.

I don’t trust the ECU to tell you how much boost the TDI is actually making, just how much boost the ECU thinks it’s making while being fooled by the box and its sensors into responding to altered readings, causing it to make more boost thinking it’s running the stock tune. The only boost readings I’d trust would be with a boost tap and a mechanical boost gauge giving you actual readings. Mechanical boost gauges can be of by a couple of psi but they can at least help you see if you make more or less real boost at various states of tune.

The jerky pull sensation you described worries me though. It could be any number of things but my first worry is you’re running into timing pull, which can result from suboptimal fuel, or it could be the wastegate and eCRV fighting to meet boost targets during a boost leak situation. It could also be a failed eCRV (let’s call it a dv for ease of typing) creating a leak, as the dv has a diaphragm that has been known to rip under heavy use and increases boost levels. I haven’t heard of dv’s failing on these cars but similar dv’s were a common failure point on tuned VWs and were usually replaced with an upgraded plunger style one as preventative maintenance. You can rebuild yours with a heavier duty Go Fast Bits DV+ assembly, which I would recommend as it leaves electronic actuation in place, unlike the vacuum-only pCRV option which could cause uncontrolled spikes, overboost and surges. You might also be having a coil pack, plug gap, or fuel delivery issue. Or perhaps your PCV needs to be replaced. Have you tested it?

Without logging properly you can start throwing money at hardware hoping you’ll fix the issue eventually.

Here’s another biggie that can create drivability issues: moisture in the tank. Run a bottle of yellow HEET with your next tankful just to be sure that isn’t a factor.
      12.99 at 109mph

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast