A lot of body roll/sway. Culprits?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A lot of body roll/sway. Culprits?

Hey guys, I just finished replacing all four shocks/struts yesterday. I am still getting a floating feeling when at speed or around town. The end links look fine but also look to be original.. is there anything else that I should look into? Or is this a classic characteristic of the xc60? BTW, it's a 2010 r design. The car tracks straight, front control arms are good. Not 100% sure about the rear since I am feeling quite a bit of a floating boat feeling.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by odiespankers07 View Post
      Hey guys, I just finished replacing all four shocks/struts yesterday. I am still getting a floating feeling when at speed or around town. The end links look fine but also look to be original.. is there anything else that I should look into? Or is this a classic characteristic of the xc60? BTW, it's a 2010 r design. The car tracks straight, front control arms are good. Not 100% sure about the rear since I am feeling quite a bit of a floating boat feeling.
      Did you replace with the same p/n for the suspension components? i believe the R-Design has a different set up (more aggressive)from a traditional XC60.

with that being said, from my experience, these cars are VERY floaty by comparison to my previous V70. upgrading the sway bars would certainly help.
      /+/ 2011 XC90 R-Design 3.2 AWD Electric Silver | Cratus Wheels
      /+/ 2010 XC60 R-Design T6 AWD Passion Red | PT | Cratus Wheels
      /o/ 2013 Subaru WRX | Built Hatch
      /// 2012 Ducati 848 EVO | Stealth Edition

Install a IPD thicker rear sway bar.
      Problem solved.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
      02 XC70 R PROJECT TERRÄNGKÖRNING LANDVAGN
      04 V70R PROJECT LANDBARGE
      11 XC60 R-DESIGN PROJECT HEICO

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Ok thanks guys. That's what I was thinking. I will order one soon. I can't believe this is an acceptable way to develop and sell a car. Definitely shouldn't float. I'll save that for the open water

IDP Sway Bar! I have the 12 RD and it is an improvement!
      2005 S40
      2010 C30 R Design
      2012 XC60 R Design

As Spider said, the IPD sway bar is a huge improvement, I also installed polly bushes and HD links at the same time and it is definitely the best bang for your buck. I also installed the Polestar performance suspension which has made another huge improvement so that would be another alternative. Lots here have installed aftermarket suspension onto their vehicles with varying results, my thought process was to install "tried and tested" components and as Polestar spent more time and effort in R & D on our specific vehicles than any of the aftermarket companies, it made sense to try them first.
      2014 XC60 Platinum Package, W/Polestar Optimization, Polestar suspension + Feritta down pipe & Kpax GT6 Exhaust, IPD Sway bar and HD end links, Snabb Intake & K & N drop in and a bunch of other aesthetic if not expensive little goodies.
      2015 BMW 428i Xdrive Cabriolet W/Executive, Driver Assistance, Premium Packages and Dinan power tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie5148 View Post
      As Spider said, the IPD sway bar is a huge improvement, I also installed polly bushes and HD links at the same time and it is definitely the best bang for your buck. I also installed the Polestar performance suspension which has made another huge improvement so that would be another alternative. Lots here have installed aftermarket suspension onto their vehicles with varying results, my thought process was to install "tried and tested" components and as Polestar spent more time and effort in R & D on our specific vehicles than any of the aftermarket companies, it made sense to try them first.
      Yeah I got the bushings and HD end links also.
      Where can you order the polestar suspension in Canada?

No, I ordered it from the UK, even after shipping and import fees it was still just over a third of the price of the same kit here in Canada and they are VIN specific.
      2014 XC60 Platinum Package, W/Polestar Optimization, Polestar suspension + Feritta down pipe & Kpax GT6 Exhaust, IPD Sway bar and HD end links, Snabb Intake & K & N drop in and a bunch of other aesthetic if not expensive little goodies.
      2015 BMW 428i Xdrive Cabriolet W/Executive, Driver Assistance, Premium Packages and Dinan power tune.

Odie, what is your perspective? What are you coming from? While the stock XC60 is no canyon carver, it destroys anything American, at least that I could find, and I whip it around pretty good. Perhaps German is the comparison, but the R Design should be competitive. But, yeah, it's no X5M, but neither is the price tag. Thank god we have people willing to develop parts for us. Almost got the C70 where I want it. Still need to decide if poly bushings are the answer or if the platform is just overwhelmed by the mass. I'd have to chase someone around a track to believe I need lowering springs and sport shocks and the resulting harshness.
      Last edited by dbphillips; 05-29-2017 at 12:34 AM.
      2009 Hilton Stage 2 C70 M66 Passion Red/Graphite/Aluminum - Quaife LSD installed! Has anyone else noticed gear whir in 3rd and 4th? Or a "clunk" from the SPEC SMF and R clutch (or front LCA poly bushings?) at startup?
      2011 XC60 3.2L Barents Blue/Anthracite/Aluminum - rings/pistons at 35k, new engine at 50k, seems no oil loss yet at 100k.

I came from a modified c30 t5 V2 that I had done a lot of work to. From tune, to exhaust, intake, complete suspension overhaul with h&r springs and sway bars. The Springs have finally settled with the new B4 struts in and the car feels much better. I am going to swap out the rear shock mounts when they come tomorrow. My cousin even said that his 15xc60 floated. His car was brand new. I've been in a lot of SUVs lately bmws to toyotas and they have all been planted. It may be time to get the sway bar upgrade. Should I go with IPD or Elevate?

Elevate is 25.4mm versus 25mm for IPD, so I wouldn't expect much difference.
      2009 Hilton Stage 2 C70 M66 Passion Red/Graphite/Aluminum - Quaife LSD installed! Has anyone else noticed gear whir in 3rd and 4th? Or a "clunk" from the SPEC SMF and R clutch (or front LCA poly bushings?) at startup?
      2011 XC60 3.2L Barents Blue/Anthracite/Aluminum - rings/pistons at 35k, new engine at 50k, seems no oil loss yet at 100k.

Has suspension tuning on these cars changed through the years? Our 2017 T5 with 20" wheel option feels solid when cornering hard; no float, moderate understeer and acceptable body roll.
      Dave, 2017 XC60 T5 AWD; previous: '04 XC70, '00 V70XC, '90 940T, '58 PV444

Do any of you know what the r design rear sway bar bushing diameter Is? I read it was 21 or 23?

I have the IPD rear sway bar. The addition of the IPD rear sway bar made a huge difference in body roll on my 2013 R-Design. It moved the vehicle from moderate understeer, much to closer to neutral steering. For my driving tastes, which are rather aggressive at times, the R-design with the IPD rear sway bar is the perfect combination. The IPD rear sway bar comes with new sway bar brackets and bushings, along with bushing grease for attaching the sway bar to the body. It does not include new end links or new bushings for the end links.

The rear sway bar is the same diameter across the XC60 product line. The stock rear sway bar is 21mm diameter, compared to the IPD rear sway bar 25mm diameter. This means that the IPD rear sway bar is 100% stiffer than the stock rear sway bar.

There is a slight bit of increased jolt from speed bumps and bridge transitions. However the ability to set and hold a turn and carve a nice clean arc around a freeway cloverleaf on-ramp is a joy in itself.
      2013 XC60 T6 R-Design AWD Platinum in Rebel Blue w/ Climate, Technology, and BLIS packages + IPD rear sway bar & IPD engine skid plate.
      2005 Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible, Steel Gray metallic, 2.0L turbo, 5-speed

Quote Originally Posted by REM in Seattle View Post
      The rear sway bar is the same diameter across the XC60 product line. The stock rear sway bar is 21mm diameter, compared to the IPD rear sway bar 25mm diameter. This means that the IPD rear sway bar is 100% stiffer than the stock rear sway bar.
      You can't be saying the sway bar is the same in the base model as the RD, can you?

Hi REM,

I've only ever seen two rebel blue xc60's in our fair state (and I stopped to drool both times). Once was at Panera at Kent Station (in Kent) and once was at Children's hospital in the "ocean" garage in Seattle. Any chance either one of those is you?

If I thought I could get a good wrap done for less than $4k, I'd wrap mine in RB in a heartbeat. So bummed they discontinued the color for 2014 xc60's.
      FOR SALE - 2014 XC60 T6 - P* Tune, K-Pax Exhaust, DO88 FMIC, Ferrita DP, Snabb Intake & Turbo Pipe, TSW Bathurst w/ Conti DWS06, R-Design Suspension, IPD Rear Sway, Morimoto D2S 4.0 HID Projectors, Powerflex Bushings, Colder NGK Plugs
      SOLD - 2007 XC90 V8 Sport - IPD Sways/Subframe Inserts/Strut Bar Conversion, Stoptech Rotors

Mine could have been the one you saw at Panera at Kent Station.

I originally was ready to order an R Design in Passion Red and wait for delivery; then the dealer (Barrier in Bellevue) called to say they had an R Design in Rebel Blue and were willing to negotiate. I got a very good deal and they met their monthly sales quota.
      2013 XC60 T6 R-Design AWD Platinum in Rebel Blue w/ Climate, Technology, and BLIS packages + IPD rear sway bar & IPD engine skid plate.
      2005 Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible, Steel Gray metallic, 2.0L turbo, 5-speed

you're killing me! "willing to negotiate" on one of the coolest SUV's this side of a cayman GTS? They were probably thinking "if only this was gold on beige, then I could make some real money" lol

Anyway, congrats on the sweet paint color. If you ever decide to sell, PM me!
      FOR SALE - 2014 XC60 T6 - P* Tune, K-Pax Exhaust, DO88 FMIC, Ferrita DP, Snabb Intake & Turbo Pipe, TSW Bathurst w/ Conti DWS06, R-Design Suspension, IPD Rear Sway, Morimoto D2S 4.0 HID Projectors, Powerflex Bushings, Colder NGK Plugs
      SOLD - 2007 XC90 V8 Sport - IPD Sways/Subframe Inserts/Strut Bar Conversion, Stoptech Rotors

Quote Originally Posted by dlr97 View Post
      Has suspension tuning on these cars changed through the years? Our 2017 T5 with 20" wheel option feels solid when cornering hard; no float, moderate understeer and acceptable body roll.
      I don't think it has, aside from the stiffer setup on the R-design. The 20" wheels will make a big difference, as will a set of sportier tires. Many tires are total garbage when it comes to steering responsiveness, which is compounded by the gigantic sidewall that you get with the 18" wheels.

That said, I've got a normal T6 with the 18" wheels, and wouldn't say it "floats" a whole lot, even in comparison to my S70 that has Koni yellows and H&R springs... OP's alignment might need checking?
      1998 S70 T5m - Nautic Blue - 237k miles and climbing
      2012 XC60 T6 - Terra Bronze - Baby transporter

This thread convinced me to do the IPD rear on the XC60 RD. Huge difference! Thanks, guys!
      2006 XC90 V8, AVH-3300NEX, PDX-F4(X2), M12, GB10, GB25, AR6K, GB12D4(X2), custom exhaust, Verde A/S Plus 107V/Ronal RT, IPD bars.
      2008 328xi, AVH-X7800BT, GM-D8604 & D9605, MT-230, GB40, XE 200, 12" Primo, Musicar NW box, S-04/Ventoso's, Sottozero 3/185's.
      2011 XC60 T6 RD, DWS/20" Cratus, IPD rear. 1980 TR8​, MBT-RX, Overdrive Plus, GM-D9605, GS62, 8" L7T(X2), NT05 on Revolution Wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by robtr8 View Post
      This thread convinced me to do the IPD rear on the XC60 RD. Huge difference! Thanks, guys!
      Good stuff!
      If you want to go to the next level, install the Heico Sport Suspension system.
      http://www.vivaperformance.com/heico...olvo-xc60-awd/

Looks lime those geico struts are just Bilstein dressed up. Am I right? Idk about the springs though. I am definitely interested in buying an old rear sway bar soon. Unfortunately, my radiator fan is staying on 100% of the time when the battery is connected. That money is going into a new radiator fan.. sucks

Interesting... if there are in fact 2 rebel blue XC's up north, then there are two more down here in Olympia. We've got one and believe or not have run across another driving around town on several occasions.
      And here I thought they were rare ..

Looks like I'll have to look into the sway bar upgrade too....it's just way too cushy stock...

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestMoose View Post
      Hi REM,

I've only ever seen two rebel blue xc60's in our fair state (and I stopped to drool both times). Once was at Panera at Kent Station (in Kent) and once was at Children's hospital in the "ocean" garage in Seattle. Any chance either one of those is you?

If I thought I could get a good wrap done for less than $4k, I'd wrap mine in RB in a heartbeat. So bummed they discontinued the color for 2014 xc60's.

Since installing the IPD sway bar the other day, I still feel like the rear has been swaying. What linkage should I look into? There are 4 arms back there. The trailing arm, two control arms and a "strut rod arms? Not sure which would allow excessive left to right right to left roll

Actually sounds like you have a low tire.
      2006 XC90 V8, AVH-3300NEX, PDX-F4(X2), M12, GB10, GB25, AR6K, GB12D4(X2), custom exhaust, Verde A/S Plus 107V/Ronal RT, IPD bars.
      2008 328xi, AVH-X7800BT, GM-D8604 & D9605, MT-230, GB40, XE 200, 12" Primo, Musicar NW box, S-04/Ventoso's, Sottozero 3/185's.
      2011 XC60 T6 RD, DWS/20" Cratus, IPD rear. 1980 TR8​, MBT-RX, Overdrive Plus, GM-D9605, GS62, 8" L7T(X2), NT05 on Revolution Wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by robtr8 View Post
      Actually sounds like you have a low tire.
      All 4 are at 35psi

Since installing the IPD sway bar the other day, I still feel like the rear has been swaying. What linkage should I look into? There are 4 arms back there. The trailing arm, two control arms and a "strut rod arms? Not sure which would allow excessive left to right right to left roll
      Well compared to your modified C30 it would.

All 4 are at 35psi
      I figured but thought I'd ask.
      Had the same issue with the new to me 2006 XC70 I bought my mother. Turns out I was running it at the lower "optional" tire pressure. Pumped those suckers up to 37 and all was well.
      How about a broken belt in a tire? Easiest thing to do would be to swap wheels for and aft, just to see if things change.
      Then I'd take it to my independent, have him put it up on the lift and check all the bushings.

What brand of tire are you running?
      2002 V70 2.4T - EST exhaust/Elbrus 18x8s/Conti DW/Eibach/Koni FSD/Polk Audio/Boston Acoustics/Infinity -beater duty now
      2013 XC60 T6R-design- IPD exhaust- Ice White
      2015.5 V60 Polestar- Black- do88/TDI/GFB/Elevate rear bar [email protected] mph
      Mopar Tech

Conti dws06. I will rotate and then check the bushings if need be. Thanks for the input guys

And your sure alignment is good?
      2002 V70 2.4T - EST exhaust/Elbrus 18x8s/Conti DW/Eibach/Koni FSD/Polk Audio/Boston Acoustics/Infinity -beater duty now
      Mopar Tech

I had it aligned a week ago. Doesn't really make sense to me. I'm going to slide underneath and check all the bushings after the 4th

I had it aligned a week ago. Doesn't really make sense to me. I'm going to slide underneath and check all the bushings after the 4th
      Did they give you a printout? Can u post a pic? Just because it was aligned does mean its right.
      Mopar Tech

I'm thinking tires here...
      I understand that much there's often a lot of differences between European tires and the rubber you guys drive on across the pond. A lot of the SUV's in the U.S. are on all weather/all season-tires, right? And also a lot of tires have a softer rubber compound than their European counterparts. That, in combination with the fact it's an SUV, would contribute a lot to that floaty feeling you're bothered by.
      '11 V70 D5 AWD R-Design w. Polestar upgrade
      '98 S70 GLT
      '85 245 Turbo

[QUOTE=Marcus_J;5605793]I'm thinking tires here...
      I understand that much there's often a lot of differences between European tires and the rubber you guys drive on across the pond. A lot of the SUV's in the U.S. are on all weather/all season

I cant think so, I have same tires and they are great
      Mopar Tech

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast