Temporary Transportation - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereTaken View Post
      I know it wouldn't be a Volvo part upgrade, but if you can get your hands on a upgraded rear sway bar, that's one of the biggest handling differences which will really neutralize the car through any corner.
      Yes sir, that's already done. I have ipd bar and curiously, I didn't notice a dramatic difference.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk
      Questions about rear differentials repairs? Email me here - [email protected]
      Owner of the only P3 V70 T6 in North America

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Global Moderator MyNameIdeasWereTaken's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by ProlixArgon View Post
      Yes sir, that's already done. I have ipd bar and curiously, I didn't notice a dramatic difference.
      If I'm honest, the iPd bar doesn't make that big of a difference as it's not much bigger than stock. I had one on my S40 and didn't really notice any improvement either. The Elevate bar can definitely be felt, as can any of the upgrades for the Mazda 3. A lot of the Mazda 3 upgraded sway bars can be purchased for pretty cheap.

Either way, great job on the car so far! How much longer do you think you'll keep it?

That's what I've heard, but I had the opportunity to pick one up for cheap, so I took it. Perhaps I should have looked up a Mazda bar instead but it's done now...

How long will I keep it? Until the next car is done and on the road to a satisfactory level. There is a slim chance it will be replaced by the XK, otherwise it will be replaced by the P* v70 R-Design concoction.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Either this

Or a variation of this

With the upgrades to the v50 I've gone from tolerating the car to actually really liking it.

It will get replaced eventually, but I'm not stressing.

I really like the look of the Jag 20's on the v70. It's a transformative stylistic upgrade and I purchased this set of 20's last night from an XF.

The XK gets one set and the "R" gets the other. I've not decided which gets which though. No need to rush or stress though, it will be done when it's done!

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereTaken View Post
      It's pretty easy!

That does look easy with a very similar set up to the later P2 steering wheels. Cheers, I'll try and do that some time this week. Thanks!

Well, I can't really seem to help myself and purchased an end of production grill, wheels, mirror caps, and trim from a 2011 R-Design S40.

That end of production stuff is so hard to come by. I was hoping to get the end of production R-Design seats from a C30, but I wasn't that fortunate yet and besides it only came with black interiors which doesn't go that well with my tan... I don't really feel like switching this interior, especially the dash. I like this car, and my like for it is growing as I doodle with it, but my level of like does not extend anywhere close to changing the dash levels.

*not my photo, just an example pulled from the internet
      Last edited by ProlixArgon; 08-26-2017 at 08:05 AM.

I started the day planning to only do two things on the v50. A brake and transmission fluid flush.

Brake fluid tests real bad.

I hook up the handy pressurized flush machine and away we go

But then there is a snag...

The left rear shock has sprung a very bad leak. Sad day! That wasn't on the planned menu.

But I had previously purchased a set of shocks on special in anticipation of this failure. The car does have over a 100k on the clock (110k as of today) so it's not like it's a surprise.

Thankfully these are super easy shocks to change. An hour later I had both sides changed.

The badly leaking shock I compressed it by hand and watched for rebound.

Probably 8 hours later...

No change! I guess it was pretty bad!

Makes me think I might as well go ahead and change the front. I had been under the assumption that the shocks were changed already as they felt quite good, but time will tell.

The car was also drafted into doing real work today!

The transmission fluid was also charged and adaptions reset, but I didn't get to take photos of that process.

I think the car is pretty well caught up on it's service intervals at this point. It's a much better car now than when it arrived.

Accessorizing!

Exit normal

Enter sporty

I did discover that the navigation controls are swappable.

Remove the audio controls and you will find a tiny T10 screw. Remove the screw and the above cover comes off and nav controls can replace it. As everyone's favorite moderator said, "it's easy!"

One thing I did screw up was disturbing the clock spring while the wheel was off

I counted six and a half turns lock to lock, centered, test fit the wheel, and installed the airbag.

But then there be danger! danger! warnings

Question: 05+ p2 sport seats in the v50. Does it work?

Global Moderator MyNameIdeasWereTaken's Avatar
      Question: 05+ p2 sport seats in the v50. Does it work?
      A few people have done it. Not sure what all was required to make them fit, but it was not just plug and play. Also, I think they lost the functioning airbag in the process.

I did not have time to play with the seats last weekend. I really wanted to, but didn't.

Time got away from me and I really wanted to take the XC off to be painted and that took priority.

Something interesting I've been observing over the past few tank fills is that the cars mpg is improving. I purchased the car and started driving it regularly in July and initial mpg was pretty low around 20. I took it on a long trip soon after purchase and I didn't get much over 24 mpg.

I found these numbers acceptable, but mildly annoying because the previous 07 XC got better mpg.

In my first few weeks of ownership a full tune up was performed, most fluids exchanged, and only top tier premium gas used.

Well, the mpg hovered around 19-21 around town for quite some time. As I continued to tweak and improve on the car it's been creaping up. This month the average has really started to jump with it now achieving a 22-24.

This is a phenomenal I've experienced in most of my cars that I've had with over 100,000 miles at the time of purchase. Initial mpg is par or below the traditionally conservative factory predictions (18-26) and then as my TLC takes effect the car exceeds expectations.

I like to think the car appreciates my efforts goes beyond the call of duty, but I do tend to get anthropomorphic with my cars and stop seeing them as machines.

I'm really starting to like this car a lot.

I wouldn't complain if it was a different color though....

This popped up for sale today and I got really excited.

But on closer inspection it wasn't even a turbo. #fail

I'm really starting to like this car a lot.

I wouldn't complain if it was a different color though....

This popped up for sale today and I got really excited.

But on closer inspection it wasn't even a turbo. #fail
      Who would buy a non Turbo? Absolutely ridiculous

So you want red?
      2006 XC70 76k - Ruby Red/Graphite - "Wichita" | 2011 Tacoma 14k - Green/Sand - "Timber"
      2007 XC70 65k - Black Stone/Graphite - "Springfield" | 2017 Miata RF GT 7k - Grey/Black
      2020 V90CC 1.9K - Osmium Gray/Maroon Brown - "Storm" | 2019 Honda Pilot 49K - Black/Black - "Toaster" - OpenPilot Development Guinea Pig
      Previous: 2013 XC70 | 2005 XC70 | 2005 V70 | 2007 XC70 | 2006 V70R | 1990 740 | 2019 XC90 | 2018 V90CC

Quote Originally Posted by skywolf View Post
      Who would buy a non Turbo? Absolutely ridiculous

So you want red?
      Not specifically as my first choice, but I would take it. Passion Red has always been a great color in my book.

Perhaps with Joseph version 2.0 I will go further and have him painted a non-standard color.

I should have bought a P3 something, anything really, instead of a P1 as I just picked up more P1 doodads. At least then I could have full parts interchange.

I should have bought a P3 something, anything really, instead of a P1 as I just picked up more P1 doodads. At least then I could have full parts interchange.
      It's no different. You'd be surprised how much you're gonna be in for with the others. Though Volvo has its quirks but the S40s are pretty efficient if taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
      It's no different. You'd be surprised how much you're gonna be in for with the others. Though Volvo has its quirks but the S40s are pretty efficient if taken care of.
      There are plenty of differences, but this is P1 specific

I've always liked this "wood" interior

Accessorizing

Accessories installed

Last edited by ProlixArgon; 09-24-2017 at 10:33 PM.

Sweet!

I may just hang onto the Odysseus wheels I pulled off the S80 T6. Might look good on a *future* P1 post-refresh V50, although I have a little love/hate relationship with these cars
      2015.5 XC60 T6 Flamenco Red/Sand, Platinum, Tech, Blis - wifemobile
      2010 S80 T6 Silver/Anthracite, Dynaudio/Nav, Climate, Blis - my dd
      2005 S40 T5 Passion Red/Quartz, up for sale soon!
      2005 S60 2.5T Black/Graphite, Premium, Sport, Climate - son
      Previous: '05 S60 T5, '04 S80 2.5T, '98 V70 T5, '96 854 Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by beachnut View Post
      Sweet!

I may just hang onto the Odysseus wheels I pulled off the S80 T6. Might look good on a *future* P1 post-refresh V50, although I have a little love/hate relationship with these cars
      Haha, so do I. I've had a couple and didn't really like any of them very much. I always wondered if I could *make* one that I would like and I can now confidently say the answer is yes. P2 and P3 cars are definitely better value for the dollar, but I've enjoyed this one

I didn't do this to my car, but I did it to a friend's p1

The big nasty main coolant house. This one came out in three pieces.

And removing the headliner and sunshade for recovering as well replacing the front ward sunroof drains.

The red v50 arrived today in amazing condition, except that the head gasket is so badly blown that the car wont start and puffs of pressure escapes from the coolant reservoir when the engine tuns over.

Gods of Wednesday, didn't you get the memo that Prolix needed good news today?

My wife has named the car Vinnie.

Again I'm working on someone else's P1 and not mine, but alternators are the theme.

It's so peaceful working at night. No one is around, I can turn in some chill tunes, I pull off parts and put them in the tool cart, and my mess is clean and contained. It's such a refreshing change from the day to day crazy it's almost relaxing. Therapeutic for sure, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's relaxing.

New vs old

Everything changed, all parts, tools, and bolts removed from the tool cart and in their proper places, and the core is boxed up for shipping out tomorrow.

Last edited by ProlixArgon; 10-05-2017 at 10:29 PM.

Progress for the day:

First I worked on the blue V50 which got a coolant reservoir.

I took the old one off by removing the top lines and using a vise grips on the lower line. Closing off this lines makes for a very easy work of the job as it doesn't make a nasty mess.

New reservoir installed.

Do note on the above picture that the nasty old clamps have been replaced with alligator clamps. I threw these away.

I got Vinie inside and checked over the mechanicals.

Everything checks out excellent. I feel bad for the previous owner as they obviously spared no expense on this car. The entire cooling system has been replaced, including radiator and heater hoses, as well as the timing belt very recently only to have whatever happened that caused the engine to so badly overheat.

I checked compression and cylinder 1 had 150 PSI, cylinder 2 had almost none, as did cylinder 3. I didn't bother checking the remaining cylinders. When I pulled the spark plugs for a brief moment I had a glimmer of hope as the plugs were covered in oil and one of them was even damaged. But no, I am not so fortunate... You can watch the video below to see what no compression does to a paper towel placed over the plug holes. Barely a flutter....

I originally got Vinnie as a parts car, but it's much to nice for it. The level of care the car received was immediately apparent just getting into the car as it's the first older P1 car I've ever gotten into that didn't have some hint of smell of having gotten wet at some point.

So yes, the awd v50 will have a sale date set in a couple weeks. If interested in the car, PM me. Yes yes, Prolix doing Prolix things and constantly shuffling cars. It's in my blood and pays the bills. :shrug:

Going back to the blue V50, I had an ongoing curiosity of tire sizes. I had this set of 19" wheels from an S80 laying around. I don't specifically care for the wheels, but they have an almost new set of Extreme Contacts on them and I would like to use the tires for something so I tested fitment on the 50. I didn't take them out on the road, but they didn't rub. I may take the tires and install them on the black Land Rover wheels I had originally got for the XC. Seems a shame to not use the tires for something.

I also needed to pull the shifter apart as the auto stick function doesn't work. I don't know that I've ever show it in pictures, but the interior brushed aluminum trim is a bit beat up so while things are apart I decided to freshen up the interior a bit with some trim from a newer C30.. This C30 trim was in better condition and is quite a bit brighter.

New is on the left, obviously.
      Last edited by ProlixArgon; 10-07-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Here is a write up for swapping the console trim starting with the waterfall. Only tools needed is a T15 and something you can gently pry with

Flipped over there are screws by the red dots

Once the large plastic cover is removed (photo left) then remove four more for the control board

And then it's all apart

Assemble in the reverse order.

The console is both easier and less obvious at the start

Again, red dots are points of interaction.

At the back by the arm rest there are two screws. Excuse the trash that fell out of the donor console on the floor.

The other red dots are clips that will release when you pry on them.

It's pretty simple but you probably want to be careful when prying up as the metal is fairly fragile and could bend/deform

Here are the two reversed.

Part of me thought a black console would be cool, but meh, better to leave the contrasting colors alone.

Trim installed for the grab handles, center console, shifter knob, and waterfall

It brightens the cabin up a touch and it's in nice shape, so win win.

Got in my first s90. Shame they optioned it in such an ugly color.

I think I can save the wheels...

Nice waterfall writeup, thanks. I'd like to have the aluminum trim rings on the knobs as mine are black. So, did you just swap the ccm module into your car from the donor waterfall assembly? Thought it wouldn't play nice on the canbus without reprogramming?

Never mind, didn't look at all the pics. Seems like your original ccm also had silver trim rings, and I assume you only swapped the silver bezel piece.
      Last edited by beachnut; 10-11-2017 at 11:33 AM.
      2015.5 XC60 T6 Flamenco Red/Sand, Platinum, Tech, Blis - wifemobile
      2010 S80 T6 Silver/Anthracite, Dynaudio/Nav, Climate, Blis - my dd
      2005 S40 T5 Passion Red/Quartz, up for sale soon!
      2005 S60 2.5T Black/Graphite, Premium, Sport, Climate - son
      Previous: '05 S60 T5, '04 S80 2.5T, '98 V70 T5, '96 854 Platinum

Not the best photo, but one form of temporary transportation is replaced with another. The new overshadowing the old in the rural VA morning dew.

Perhaps I should say all my cars are temporary transportation?

33. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3