Vibration at 1900rpm
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vibration at 1900rpm

I have vibrations in the steering wheel and the body. It is most obvious when you have the engine at 1900rpm but is present at all rpm’s. It appears most easily in neutral.

Earlier today I had my car back to my dealer to solve the problem. They did not found anything wrong with it, but agreed with me that it was not supposed to be in this way. The manager then phoned to the head quarters in Gothenburg and was told that the problem had come to their attention. It was something with the engines suspension so that the vibrations propagated through out the car. They had no solution to the problem at this time but he was told that they were working on it. True or false?

Does anyone have the same issue?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Vibration at 1900rpm (Pipus)

I have the same problem......!
      you are right .....!
      you can feel it inside specially if you are stopped in neutral
      at a traffic light.
      volvo dealer couldn't duplicate problem....!
      but is still there.....!
      I can feel it everyday.

Could this be my problem too? I've had my wheels rebalanced, even exchanged front with rear wheels, but I still have vibrations in the steering wheel at speeds around 80-120 km/h. I've had a nagging suspicion that the wheels weren't the problem, but I never thought it could be engine vibrations.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I have the same problem. When I asked the service rep. they didn't have a clue...

/H Nilsson

Re: (dali)

OH finally! And I thought I was alone! I went thru the entire process when I changed my springs, vibrations at WOT from 80-120 as well thru the steering wheel and floorpan. Seemed to be coming from the front suspension. My dealer changed the driveshaft and it did improve the condition so now I'm getting faint vibrations at 70-90km/h. Still noticeable. Apparently Eibach tested with the car (since they OEM the volvo lowering springs ) and yes Volvo sweden is aware of the problem. I somehow got the impression from eibach that there was a fix availabe as it had to do with the suspension mounts but nothing heard from volvo yet.

Re: (Volve)

I think my car vibrates too much. I was guessing a tire/wheel assembly had too much imbalance but it's just a guess. (I did notice one wheel has about 2 oz of balance weight on it - which is a fair amount). I was going to wait until I put my winter tires on to see if it changes things.
      I didn't notice anything today at 1900 RPM.
      It seems to come and go, and not specific to just one speed.
      I'll watch this link to see what other people are experiencing.

Re: (steve909)

Quote, originally posted by steve909 »
      I think my car vibrates too much. I was guessing a tire/wheel assembly had too much imbalance but it's just a guess. (I did notice one wheel has about 2 oz of balance weight on it - which is a fair amount). I was going to wait until I put my winter tires on to see if it changes things.
      I didn't notice anything today at 1900 RPM.
      It seems to come and go, and not specific to just one speed.
      I'll watch this link to see what other people are experiencing.

I have the same thing! Intermitent vibrations, at almost any speed, its so wierd, one minute the car is smooth as silk, the next I'm shakin like a lambs tail...

I feel small vibrations when I'm reving it. Does that count?
      2005 S40 T5 BSR Stage 3

Re: Vibration at 1900rpm (volvoNB)

I have the same problem on my 2004 V50 T5. The entire car is vibrating/swinging when accelerating between 1500-2000 rpm. It's most noticeable on the second gear.

I've had the problem for about a year now. My local Volvo dealer have replaced pretty much everything between the rim and the engine (inluding gear box!) but the problem is not solved yet. The car have even been to Volvo in Gothenburg for investigation. They found "the angel on the drive shaft" to be a problem. The latest news from Volvo is that it will be a new part will be avaliable "early autumn" to solve the problem.

I have tried to get the car replaced, but all T5's with sport suspension has the same problem (accourding to Volvo).

I'm pretty pissed that it's been almost a year without a solution....

Re: Vibration at 1900rpm (Kribban)

Quote, originally posted by Kribban »
      I'm pretty pissed that it's been almost a year without a solution....

also do you feel vibration when car is toped and engine running at idle speed?

Quote, originally posted by Kribban »
      I have tried to get the car replaced, but all T5's with sport suspension has the same problem (accourding to Volvo)

That sounds overly broad. My T5 has the sport suspension, and I haven't observed this problem. It sounds like I don't have to do anything special to cause it to occur, right? Just accelerate?

Modified by mullmann at 10:36 PM 9-12-2005

I dunno, I feel it as well in my 2.4i right at around 1900, seems like it may be something in the engine mounts.

Re: Vibration at 1900rpm (pierola)

Quote, originally posted by pierola »

also do you feel vibration when car is toped and engine running at idle speed?

When the engine is running at idle, it's running smooth, but if I rev the engine to 1900rpm the whole car starts to vibrate (when standing still). The vibration is most noticeable when accelerating at second (and third) gear with about 50% throttle, but I can even feel a small vibration when doing a full throttle acceleration trough the gears.

Update...

I got an answear from my dealer yesterday.

The new part will go into production week 48 and will probably be avaliable week 50.

This is it ridiculous. I can't wait that long. I will try to annul the purchase of the car.

Hi,

do you know what kind of part the "new part" is?

regards / H Nilsson

Re: Vibration at 1900rpm (hakannil)

No, sorry. They havn't given my a good answear about what part(s) they will replace.

I have given up with the T5. I will replace it with V50 1.8 Flexifuel (etanol). Not really a performance engine, but when I consider the savings every month I can live with that.

I can pump the volume on the performance sound system instead of using the right foot

Where did you get this information from? VCNA "hasn't heard about it"

Re: (skibum)

Yes, I to would appreciate details on the "new part".

I guess it would be for the engine vibration problem and not the "shake at speed" problem.

Thanks.

Re: (steve909)

Week 50 has come and gone, any news?

Quote, originally posted by skibum »
      Week 50 has come and gone, any news?

Could your problem be described as "rough idle" or "rough running"? If so, there are a certain number of S40s that have a TNN on them for that problem, chassis numbers 4506 to 25161. Procedure looks extensive and invasive though...

UKMatt

if the engine is running at ~2000rpm, there is like a harmonic vibration that just gets worse and worse. It is most noticable in neutral when stopped. Do you have a link to that tnn?

i have the exact same issue... very noticable at 1900 rpm, especially when sitting stil.

i showed my dealer shortly after i bought my t5... he felt it too, but had no answer.

i'd imagine volvo will probably release a fix, packaged along the official start-shudder-stall fix. fat chance anytime soon...

if the engine is running at ~2000rpm, there is like a harmonic vibration that just gets worse and worse. It is most noticable in neutral when stopped. Do you have a link to that tnn?

Sure - the TNN is here.

UKMatt

OK, now for the total newbie question, what/where is the chassis #?

OK, now for the total newbie question, what/where is the chassis #?

It's the last 6 digits of your VIN number.

UKMatt

Re: (ukmatt)

I've also noticed vibration around this RPM and my car is within the chassis range of this TNN. Would this work fall under a warranty issue and be free of charge or not? My dealer here has told me before that the TNNs do not mean your car will be fixed for free, it just lets them know how to fix it if you have the problem. My S40 already has 38K miles on it...what do you guys think?

Re: (GvilleS40)

Quote, originally posted by GvilleS40 »
      I've also noticed vibration around this RPM and my car is within the chassis range of this TNN. Would this work fall under a warranty issue and be free of charge or not? My dealer here has told me before that the TNNs do not mean your car will be fixed for free, it just lets them know how to fix it if you have the problem. My S40 already has 38K miles on it...what do you guys think?

I'd say you would be correct to assume this would be free if you're still within your warranty period (time and miles). My warranty is 48 months/50 thousand miles - I assume yours is the same.

The TNN in this case suggests worn valves may be the culprit for customers complaining of rough running. If your car has the symptoms it should be a warranty fix period (in my opinion).

UKMatt

Today after I got off the freeway and my car was idling at the stoplight, there was zero vibration from the engine, which was weird because there's always a steady vibration going through the car at idle. It didn't vibrate at all for a while, then the next thing I know, a few stoplights later, the vibration was back It doesnt really make sense.

Re: (s40turbo585)

Definately sounds like you have "engine mount" dampner problems to me --- this is the attachment point for the engine installation into the engine bay {not the engine itself --- just the mounting isolators/dampners}.

Do S40's have "rigid flex/rubberized" or "hydraulic" engine mount dampners --- i am new to this forum so i do not know?

These devices are made/designed to keep the vibrations and movements of the engine under varrying loads from "translating" into the unibody.

Re: (ES Trader)

Quote, originally posted by ES Trader »
      Definately sounds like you have "engine mount" dampner problems to me ...

I agree it must be the engine mount(s)! I've had this problem since delivery 19 months ago... and still NO fix

It's definitely not an idle problem that's something else. This is a very clear vibration, best felt at 1900 rpms (and somtimes above) in 2-3-4 gear (most noticeable at low-mid loads). Very anoying once you noticed it

I've sent an email each week to the service manager since V49 asking for an update, I suggest you all do the same if you have this problem. The answer, up until last week, has been "It's not ready yet"...

regards / H

Quote, originally posted by ES Trader »
      Do S40's have "rigid flex/rubberized" or "hydraulic" engine mount dampners --- i am new to this forum so i do not know?

These devices are made/designed to keep the vibrations and movements of the engine under varrying loads from "translating" into the unibody.

According to the documentation I've read, the S40 has "pendulum suspension-type motor mounts"... I know Volvo has had motor mount issues in the past - the natural imbalance in the straight 5 engine apparently demands more from the motor mounts in order to keep the 'luxury' feel at the appropriate level (I am NOT an engine guy - this is what I have gathered from reading various forums).

UKMatt

OK I see --- that is more of a description of "where" the engine mounts are located and how they are positioned to best reduce the engine operational forces. I am still curious as to the material type used for the actual vibration "isolation" pieces that make up the engine mount assembly. I may run over to my local Volvo dealership tomorrow and talk to some tech's to find out if they are encountering these problems here with S40's in Austin, Texas {i am going over there to test drive a S40 T5 AWD 6 spd MT anyway}.

Inline 5 engines can actually be fairly smooth in operation but the problem comes in as the motor is "tilted" for installing/mounting into the engine bay. The force tendencies of the engine under different loads of operation when the motor is perfecrly vertical are somewhat different once the motor is installed at a canted angle from vertical --- so more design has to go into the engine mount assemblies to insure the forces are isolated from the unibody when the car is in operation.

There are actually four engine mounts, two of which are pendulum mounts, then a bracket and a torque rod down low. You can see the pendulum mount quite clearly at the front of the engine (passenger's side). It is a sort of big rubber donut with a ball-and-socket type configuration, the ball comes up from underneath and attaches to the engine, the socket is held in a bridge called an "impulse limiter" bolted to the passenger's side fender. The other pendulum is attached to the transmission and is harder to see. The lower mounts are down at the rear.

I think the reason for the new mounting system is the fact that there wasn't headroom for the usual top-mount torque bushing that all the earlier 5-cyls have, the one that bolts to the firewall and attaches to the cylinder head. These cars basically move a similar function to a lower rear attachment, and therefore have to increase torque support at the other top mounts.

As for the vibration damping of the 5-cylinder engine, it definitely has a balance shaft that's driven off a gear at the front of the crankshaft. The engine mountings undoubtedly play a role in the net result, by being tuned to the various harmonics. My T5 V50 exhibits only the slightest vibration at this rpm.

Tom.

2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Quote, originally posted by ukmatt »

Sure - the TNN is here.

UKMatt

Sorry to revisit this post again but I have another noob question. I have noticed a wierd vibration in my car at random times but definately not as prominant as some of you have felt. My car is within the chassis range of this TNN and obviously they have had some valve problems with the cars in this range. Since i'm nearing the end of my warranty (40K miles already), do you guys think I should have my car checked out to make sure there won't be any problems with the valves in the future, and if so, how should I go about it with my service manager (they tend to try and get out of things unless you have a serious problem). Anyways, I just don't want there to end up being a problem with this after 50K. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Re: (GvilleS40)

What does the dealer have to say about it?

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast