SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1998 V70R, Resto, Mod/ Build Thread

19K views 98 replies 25 participants last post by  icrashcars 
#1 ·
I have had the car for a couple years, my EX used to drive it daily, but now it's been retired and added to my pile of toys.

I have completed just about every major maintenance in the last 20k miles, and other than the turbo oil line dripping, it's running beautifully. Much thanks to the forum members for the info and guidance.

So, on to the good stuff.
Purchased and to be completed in the next month or so...
Custom-ish coilover setup, going very low. Ill give details if it works out.
Currently prepping a replacement front bumper (shaved washer recesses)
Front lip spoiler
OEM Roof spoiler
Clear headlights (jewel knockoffs)
Clear corner lights.
OEM 18"x8 Jaguar 2 piece BBS Wheels (waiting on delivery from UK) - These will need a major refurb, but Ive been refinishing wheels for years, and I have something nice in store for them.

Current state. Body and paint are super nice, interior is a 9/10.

IMG_7236 by britt edward, on Flickr

IMG_7237 2 by britt edward, on Flickr

Wheels. the guy had a bunch and I bought the 4 in the best condition. I plan to strip, powder coat, and rebuild them.
s-l1600 by britt edward, on Flickr

See less See more
#6 ·
Subscribed. This looks like it should be fun.

#7 ·
#8 ·
Small updates....still sanding/ prepping bumper. I loathe body work.

Waiting on delivery of the wheels from the UK. Should have them by Friday.

Cleaned the IAC to try and help a sporadic idle issue. It was filthy, as was the throttle body.

Cleaned the PTC, it was very cruddy. Car drives markedly better.

Phase 2 of my resto/mod will be to clean and dress up the engine. Silicone hoses, powder coated metal pieces, new plastic tanks..etc

But she doesnt look terrible for 160k miles.

Untitled

#11 ·
That is not bad at all.

When you're doing hoses change the heater core hoses! One of mine just failed without warning (100k more on it than yours but it's an age thing really)

#9 ·
Very nice, keep up the resto! Love seeing this gen brought back to its glory. Do find a rear spoiler to stretch those lines on this ageless Volvo last boxy style wagon.

#13 ·
With your custom coil-overs don't forget swaybars. This car **needs** swaybars to truly handle well. Single best mod you can do to the car in my opinion (though some may argue that point)

#15 ·
Just get a rear one from ipd. The rear awd one is 22mm and your front is 21mm. It's so close that you'll be set up neutral after that. Have this in my t5 and on the t5 XC swap and it's perfect.

#18 · (Edited)
Ditching the airbag in a car notorious for understeer?
You're braver than I am... I know plenty of people
that still have faces because of the wheel bag.

And -
wait for it...
That's pretty ballsy for a guy with your handle! :rolleyes:

( Yes - I said that... :facepalm: )

#19 ·
Ditching the airbag in a car notorious for understeer?
You're braver than I am... I know plenty of people
that still have faces becouse of the wheel bag.

And -
wait for it...
That's pretty ballsy for a guy with your handle! :rolleyes:

( Yes - I said that... :facepalm: )
Throw in a rear sway bar and it's neutral. Much safer

#22 ·
Had some delays...bought a house, acquired another project car, but back at it on the V70r now.

Freshly shaved and painted front bumper. Plus painted rear spoiler and rear bumper.

Wheels should be back from powdercoat in a week.

I need a set of clear turn signals (the expensive ones) anybody have an extra set?

[/URL]Untitled by britt edward, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/URL]Untitled by britt edward, on Flickr[/IMG]

#27 ·
Looking sharp gent! Excellent work and I'm excited to see what performance upgrades may come your way.

#29 ·
You'd need roof strips from a car without a rack. You can still buy them new (PNs are 9151675/9151676, I think) but the shipping would probably be unholy unless you got them at your local dealer. Probably easier/cheaper to get them at the JY.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.