SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1998 V70R, Resto, Mod/ Build Thread

19K views 98 replies 25 participants last post by  icrashcars 
#1 ·
I have had the car for a couple years, my EX used to drive it daily, but now it's been retired and added to my pile of toys.

I have completed just about every major maintenance in the last 20k miles, and other than the turbo oil line dripping, it's running beautifully. Much thanks to the forum members for the info and guidance.

So, on to the good stuff.
Purchased and to be completed in the next month or so...
Custom-ish coilover setup, going very low. Ill give details if it works out.
Currently prepping a replacement front bumper (shaved washer recesses)
Front lip spoiler
OEM Roof spoiler
Clear headlights (jewel knockoffs)
Clear corner lights.
OEM 18"x8 Jaguar 2 piece BBS Wheels (waiting on delivery from UK) - These will need a major refurb, but Ive been refinishing wheels for years, and I have something nice in store for them.

Current state. Body and paint are super nice, interior is a 9/10.

IMG_7236 by britt edward, on Flickr

IMG_7237 2 by britt edward, on Flickr

Wheels. the guy had a bunch and I bought the 4 in the best condition. I plan to strip, powder coat, and rebuild them.
s-l1600 by britt edward, on Flickr

See less See more
#36 ·
A little jealous of you guys with the p80s that are all hot. I sorta wish I’d missed the p2r bug and stayed with the p80s. I could have an affordable wagon that is nice and done better things to it.

Nice work you’re doing. 👍🏻

#39 ·
Well, this is pleasant surprise.

After some exhaustive research, I ordered a set of s70 coilovers from CXRacing. I knew the fronts would fit, but replacing the nivos had me concerned.

Well, the rear shock are fully adjustable (dampening and height), so they will slide into place perfectly.

Right now, Im trying to decide whether to move the T-Bar mount or replace with an aftermarket. Should have this sorted today.

Untitled

Untitled

#53 ·
That lip seats the wheel since theyre hub centric. Im guessing your spacers were 63.4mm bore inside and out? What you needed was a 65.1mm inside bore.

#54 ·
That lip seats the wheel since they're hub centric. Im guessing your spacers were 63.4mm bore inside and out? What you needed was a 65.1mm inside bore.
Not the full hub centric "barrel", but rather just the very outer edge of it; there is a tiny lip that protrudes out less than 1mm. With this ground down, it negates the need for center bore "conversion".

The wheels are 63.4, so i got 63.4 spacers; knowing there would be a slight difference to the 65.1 of the volvo.

63.4 spacers are only $60/ pair. Spacers that adapt from 63.4 to 65.1 are $300/ pair.

Dont mind the trashed rotors; just kept them on while grinding.
Untitled by britt edward, on Flickr

#55 ·
I bought h&r Ford spacers new open box for $120 for the set of 4 and machines the inner bore. I guess it's more important for me to be able to swap back to factory series wheels asap since all my fleet have at least 2 sets Of wheels

#57 ·
WAY too low for these cars and you will regret it

#58 ·
Spoken like a true senior citizen.
His car, his money, his driving experience.
Let the man do as he pleases.

Keep the build coming. PS: Totally dig the A8, always had a soft spot for D2s.

#59 ·
Spoken like a true senior citizen.
His car, his money, his driving experience.
Let the man do as he pleases.

Keep the build coming. PS: Totally dig the A8, always had a soft spot for D2s.
Thanks. I appreciate the diverse feedback from everyone.

Low cars arent for everyone, however this will be slightly higher when complete (but not much).

#60 ·
Low for looks is fine. Low for handling will actually ruin the chassis and steering dynamics. All depends on what you want. But that's your choice not ours. Mod away!

#65 ·
Great info. Pics if car show, plz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#66 ·
Those comets you took off...16 or 17 inch?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

#70 ·
Love the wheels on it. Gonna be in the UK soon. Maybe I can put some jag wheels in my checked luggage.

#71 ·
Love the wheels on it. Gonna be in the UK soon. Maybe I can put some jag wheels in my checked luggage.

For how long? Maybe you could transport a steering wheel home...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.