XC90 V8 Fuel Pressure Sensor Replacement
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

XC90 V8 Fuel Pressure Sensor Replacement

Awhile back my CEL came on, checked with VIDA and got ECM-P019300 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor High Input.

Ordered replacement Bosch 31272732 sensor from FCP Euro and managed to install it with minimal disassembly.

The sensor is located under the intake manifold where the throttle body is attached.

Steps:
      1. Disconnect flexible tube from throttle body and air filter housing and move aside
      2. Disconnect throttle body from intake manifold by removing two bolts and two nuts
        • The studs for the nut can also be removed to ease placing throttle body away from sensor
        • Careful not to damage throttle body gasket
        • Disconnect throttle body connector
      3. Place towel under fuel rail service port and relieve pressure by pressing on the stem
      4. Using 10mm wrench, remove bolt securing sensor
      5. Pull sensor up to release it from the fuel pipe and coax it out into the open to disconnect cable
      6. Replace sensor and follow the above steps in reverse order to complete installation

Photos of new fuel pressure sensor

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Added to sticky. Thanks!
      2004 V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2006 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R, 1999 F250 Powerstroke, 2005 TSX, 1997 Bonneville, 1998 Concorde

Timely posting, mine has just recently popped up the same code and I was just looking into doing this project. Thanks for the write up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2006 XC90 V8 in Black with Navigation, RSE, Third Row, Curt Tow Hitch (the Work-In-Progress and Daily Driver)

2004 XC70 in White, Tow Hitch (The Cream Puff and Wife's Daily Driver)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I replaced this while changing out my valve cover gaskets. Glad I was already in it that deep when I attempted, since the captive hex nut on the back side of the plastic fuel "manifold" was simply spinning within the plastic hex housing when I tried to remove the fuel pressure sensor. I had to take a utility knife to two of the plastic hex housing flats, in order to get an open end 10mm wrench on the captive nut.
      Since I had the fuel rail off and in the air already, I had space to work. There's no way I would have been able to get to this otherwise.
      | 1995 855 Turbo (mine, retiring) 300k | 2003 XC70 (mine) 225K | 2007 XC90 V8 (hers) 98k |
      | 1998 V70 NA (retired) 215k | 1995 855 (saved my life 2012 ) | 1971 Chevy C30 Dually Flatbed (farm truck)

What area am I looking at for the fuel rail service port? I have a sensor and a throttle body gasket in transit, and I'm planning to do this Thursday afternoon or Friday morning.
      2006 XC90 V8 w/ Climate, Touring, Convenience and RSE. Silver w/ Graphite
      2014 Lincoln MKT EcoBoost Elite, Tech, Pano, 20”, Rear Captains. Pearl/Black
      Past: 2008 XC90 V8 w/ Climate, BLIS, Dynaudio, Bi-Xenon. Ember black w/ Sandstone
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD 7-Passenger w/ Climate, Premium and Versatility packages and Xenon headlights.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post
      What area am I looking at for the fuel rail service port? I have a sensor and a throttle body gasket in transit, and I'm planning to do this Thursday afternoon or Friday morning.
      It's under the throttle body. On the photos, right above the blue towel is the service port.

Thank you. The sensor is showing up a day early, so I may tackle this when I get off work this afternoon.
      Past: 2008 XC90 V8 w/ Climate, BLIS, Dynaudio, Bi-Xenon. Ember black w/ Sandstone
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD 7-Passenger w/ Climate, Premium and Versatility packages and Xenon headlights.

A pleasant surprise...

FullSizeRender 2

Total with tax was $6.95 and free shipping.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...ontent=general
      Last edited by RedGeminiPA; 06-29-2017 at 07:22 AM.

You're posting your name and address in case that's something you're worried about.
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      2006 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body
      Previous: 2006 S60R, 1999 F250 Powerstroke, 2005 TSX, 1997 Bonneville, 1998 Concorde

Thanks. I wasn't too worried at first, but I remembered it's on Flickr for the whole world to see. Fixed.

Thanks. I wasn't too worried at first, but I remembered it's on Flickr for the whole world to see. Fixed.
      2006 XC70

Quote Originally Posted by bootsie View Post
      I replaced this while changing out my valve cover gaskets. Glad I was already in it that deep when I attempted, since the captive hex nut on the back side of the plastic fuel "manifold" was simply spinning within the plastic hex housing when I tried to remove the fuel pressure sensor. I had to take a utility knife to two of the plastic hex housing flats, in order to get an open end 10mm wrench on the captive nut.
      Since I had the fuel rail off and in the air already, I had space to work. There's no way I would have been able to get to this otherwise.
      This happened to me too. I was trying to do the replacement with the fuel rail in place, put ultimately I had to pull it all apart.
      2007 XC90 V8
      2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon LJ 6-speed
      1993 Dodge Viper RT/10
      Past favorites: 1986 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16, 1967 Volvo 1800S, 2002 Subaru WRX, 2002 BMW 525iT manual, 1998 Volvo V70 T5M

After lots of praying to the car gods, job completed without issues.

On a side note: when I pressed the fuel rail service port, nothing came out... there was some gas slowing seeping out when I started lifting the sensor out, so I allowed it to finish and dry up before proceeding. I found that odd, as there are no starting issues, whatsoever.

I was able to do this without removing my throttle body. I had to remove the intake snorkel but that was it. Luckily my captive nut didn't spin like some peoples have.

Second not removing the throttle body. I did remove the upper engine mount that the brace attaches to.
      2006 XC90 V8 145k
      2004 BMW 330 XI
      2005 Ford F-150

Just got done doing the job. Thanks to the OP for providing the DIY instructions and pics.

Took about 45 mins all in, and luckily no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by erehtuo View Post
      Second not removing the throttle body. I did remove the upper engine mount that the brace attaches to.

Same here. I just removed the upper motor mount and intake boot and I was able to remove and replace the sensor.

Excellent write up. Was able to change it out in 30 minutes in my s80 v8. Thanks.~

I do reccomend removing thr throttle body. Takes two minutes to do and worth it.

Went to autozone to clear code. Dont expect it to come back because wiring look good and so did connections.

Went with the FCP Euro part listed above. Fast shipping and excellent price. Bought the gasket too but didnt really need it.

Angry Annoying leaks under FPS

Hi, I am in the process of trying to replace my FPS on my 2006 Volvo XC90 V8. I'm having a hell of a time trying to get the FPS to seat properly during and after installation. Seems to be elevated somewhat. The fuel bubbles and seeps out below the FPS. I've tried three times to put this FPS in and still no luck. I had lubricated the seal of the FPS with dielectric grease prior to putting it in.

Tried to post photos on my reply here but it seems it only wants to take them from a URL link rather than from my computer.
      ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Kelly
      [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by civster View Post
      Awhile back my CEL came on, checked with VIDA and got ECM-P019300 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor High Input.

Ordered replacement Bosch 31272732 sensor from FCP Euro and managed to install it with minimal disassembly.

The sensor is located under the intake manifold where the throttle body is attached.

Steps:
      1. Disconnect flexible tube from throttle body and air filter housing and move aside
      2. Disconnect throttle body from intake manifold by removing two bolts and two nuts
        • The studs for the nut can also be removed to ease placing throttle body away from sensor
        • Careful not to damage throttle body gasket
        • Disconnect throttle body connector
      3. Place towel under fuel rail service port and relieve pressure by pressing on the stem
      4. Using 10mm wrench, remove bolt securing sensor
      5. Pull sensor up to release it from the fuel pipe and coax it out into the open to disconnect cable
      6. Replace sensor and follow the above steps in reverse order to complete installation

Photos of new fuel pressure sensor

Is the o-ring from the old one still in there? That would definitely cause it. From what I recall, mine went in pretty effortlessly.

As for pictures, you have to use a hosting service, like Flickr or the like, and use an HTML link to embed them. Do not use Photobucket. Google is now charging an insane amount of money to use external links for image hosting.

XC90 fuel pressure sensor replacement

Thanks for your response RedGeminiPA.

I pulled out the new FPS and discovered the first seating for replacement had pinched the O-ring seal and thus caused a gap resulting in fuel spewing out. I swapped out the O-ring from the original one, used a new dose of dielectric grease, seated the FPS and bolted it down. Reassembled all parts as outlined originally in this posting and all turned out perfect! V8 is smiling again!

Is the o-ring from the old one still in there? That would definitely cause it. From what I recall, mine went in pretty effortlessly.

As for pictures, you have to use a hosting service, like Flickr or the like, and use an HTML link to embed them. Do not use Photobucket. Google is now charging an insane amount of money to use external links for image hosting.

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements