Electrified Polestar Q&A and discussions
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Electrified Polestar Q&A and discussions

P* has confirmed they will start selling their own branded cars. They called it "electrified" cars which still doesn't clarify if they will be EV's or T8 like cars.

https://www.polestar.com/intl/2017/0...ormance-brand/
      Current: 2015.5 V60 Polestar Matte Gunpowder #50
      Past: 2008 Subaru Legacy GT
      Family: 1981 Volvo 240 Turbo / 2015.5 XC60 Ocean Race Edition

Photo Blog: http://p50gt.kinja.com/ Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p50gt/

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

In previous press releases Volvo has used the term "electrified" to refer to hybrid and full electric vehicles i.e. plans for 1 million electrified cars (total) by 2025.

Previous "hints" from executives on the sidelines of auto shows first suggested Polestar could do hybrid cars and later have suggested that "electric premium" cars is a growing segment. There are certainly almost countless new brands popping up offering electric supercars.

I personally hope the new model is an evolution of the T8 and is a hybrid with a higher performance engine.

It could understandably be a 100% electric car but I'm far less keen on that option.

I'm pleased to see that evolutions of Volvo models "Engineered by Polestar" will still be taking place. That keeps the performance option of Volvo alive at least.

Standalone Polestar cars, separate appearance, brand and models (coupes?) is a very good and interesting development

I just wonder if the standalone P* brand will carry enough weight to attract sports car buyers. The only other standalone brand that I can think of is the now defunct Scion brand.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel_yell View Post
      I just wonder if the standalone P* brand will carry enough weight to attract sports car buyers. The only other standalone brand that I can think of is the now defunct Scion brand.
      Volvo doesn't carry enough weight to attract sports car buyers. It comes down to putting out quality products. Neither Volvo nor P* can rely on name or history when it comes to performance cars. Every Performance car company had to start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoGoteborg View Post
      I'm pleased to see that evolutions of Volvo models "Engineered by Polestar" will still be taking place. That keeps the performance option of Volvo alive at least.

Standalone Polestar cars, separate appearance, brand and models (coupes?) is a very good and interesting development
      You misunderstood the announcement. There will be no more Engineered P* Volvo cars. They will only offer the P* Optimizations on Volvo cars, which is just the tune.
      Last edited by P50GT; 06-21-2017 at 12:20 PM.

So Volvo Polestar will gone, new Polestar will be separate from Volvo and will be only EV. Omg Volvo that is so wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JG2 View Post
      So Volvo Polestar will gone, new Polestar will be separate from Volvo and will be only EV. Omg Volvo that is so wrong.
      We don't have clarity that they will be EV yet. They just said "electrified" which can mean EV or they can spin it to mean hybrid. They specifically did not mention the words electric, zero emissions or EV in the statement.

I agree P50GT, quality and offering a higher performing car will be the only way to start that following. It will be interesting to see what cars they will be coming out with in the next few years.

Personally, I take "electrified" as the hybrid platform and not fully electric.

In 25 yrs will our 3.0 and 2.0 gasser's
      Be revered like the "sunbeam tiger" ?
      2013 xc60 R-Design Rebel Blue

Quote Originally Posted by P50GT View Post
      We don't have clarity that they will be EV yet. They just said "electrified" which can mean EV or they can spin it to mean hybrid. They specifically did not mention the words electric, zero emissions or EV in the statement.
      EV is EV, and not hybrid.

Quote Originally Posted by JG2 View Post
      EV is EV, and not hybrid.
      EV isn't anywhere in the announcement. "Electrified" is the only term used which is intentional.

Aha, than is possible for hybrid version. We will see.

Rumors are that the first car will be shown this year so we won't have to wait that long. The fact that they didn't use the words "electric", "EV", or "zero emissions" and used a made up term "electrified" I think is very telling in what it will be. All the people that work for Volvo have been told it was a hybrid as well so there's that too.

https://carsintrend.com/2018-volvo-s60/

The new model might be the next gen S60.
      That misses the mark of selling Polestar branded cars. It will be based on SPA but cannot be made off of any Volvo car.

"Electrified" could simply mean using a 48v system to power an electric supercharger on a triple boost engine.

It could also mean hybrid and/or EV. Heck all 3 of those definitions fall under the ambiguous term of electrified.

Excited to see what comes.

If the new car will be shown this year, I would imagine it will be very capital intense to debut a entirely new body style on the SPA platform.

It appears to me that the mid-size sports sedan segment is still the target market. We will see how much different it will be from the S60.

If the new car will be shown this year, I would imagine it will be very capital intense to debut a entirely new body style on the SPA platform.

It appears to me that the mid-size sports sedan segment is still the target market. We will see how much different it will be from the S60.
      Geely is fully invested in this on the Capital side it seems. Time wise this has been going on for quite a while already. We heard in our FB group back in the winter whispers about this with a car supposed to be shown in Q1 of this year.

They may attack the midsize market still but differentiate with a coupe. Not sure this would be a good idea as coupes are not selling well but it is a possibility. They also could go the CUV route and make something to compete against the upcoming Model Y from Tesla and the I Pace from Jaguar. CUV's are the hottest selling segment right now and provide a lot of room for a hybrid setup.

The promo photo with the new logo is interesting. It doesn't look like any hood or trunk of any of the current models.

The promo photo with the new logo is interesting. It doesn't look like any hood or trunk of any of the current models.
      It looks like they took a Citroen logo, flipped the top chevron on its head and then turned it 45 degrees.
      2011 Volvo XC70 T6: Caper Green/Sandstone Beige, 133,000+ miles
      2004 Volvo V70R: Silver Metallic/Gobi, 251,000+ miles
      2002 Volvo V70 T5: White/Charcoal Leather *SOLD*
      2000 Volvo S70 SE: Black/Charcoal Leather *TOTALED*

Quote Originally Posted by thesternowl View Post
      It looks like they took a Citroen logo, flipped the top chevron on its head and then turned it 45 degrees.
      If you hold it upright, it is a star.
      Mr. Ingenlath is now the CEO, so the Polestar cars must be good looking!
      But he is usually still quite conservative in design.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

I wonder if this has anything to do with the recent Lotus acquisition from Geely?

Could we see lightweight Lotus cars branded as Polestar with electric engines?
      2015 V60 T5e - Various suspension and P* bits

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSnooze View Post
      I wonder if this has anything to do with the recent Lotus acquisition from Geely?

Maybe Lotus and Polestar can share powertrain and Lotus stays on the more exotic side while Polestar learns some exotic looking from Lotus?

If "electrified" means they bring back the Yamaha 4.4L V8, add two turbos (like Noble did), then add a 150HP electric motor for "torque fill" (like the McLaren P1) and then you might have my attention...
      2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (his), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6 (hers), 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 V60 P* (ours) #46/80

I wouldn't expect a V8 - the platforms Polestar is building on currently both limit space for the front engine.

Scion was to appeal to youngsters, not sports car buyers. Scions were basically cheap Toyota cars rebranded to appeal to people who thought Toyota was boring. (Toyota is in fact boring, by the way.)

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSnooze View Post

They're not unrelated, but it's not clear what will happen yet. I do expect the dealership network to be tapped in addition to some engineering R&D and production facilities.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

Just curious reading about the Pole* news... does anyone know..., will I be able to add P* to my XC 60 OSD?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2018 XC 60 T8

https://carsintrend.com/2018-volvo-s60/

The new model might be the next gen S60.
      It will be a stand alone model. Nothing like any car in the Volvo range currently, well the first one anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Profiler View Post
      Just curious reading about the Pole* news... does anyone know..., will I be able to add P* to my XC 60 OSD?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      This should be fine. New XC60 tune is listed as available on Polestar website.

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      I wouldn't expect a V8 - the platforms Polestar is building on currently both limit space for the front engine.
      Only the "firewall" isn't scalable.

https://www.swedespeed.com/news/Volvo...-architecture/
      '17 Volvo S60 Polestar '15 XC60T5 Polestarised

Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
      Only the "firewall" isn't scalable.
      But from what I've been told, the front overhang can't accommodate a larger engine without significant redevelopment to handle the increased weight extending in front of the front axle. The mounting hardware along would be a substantial weight increase and detriment to the vehicle's handling.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
      Polestar,

"All time high" can be explained in different ways.
      I do not share your experience in my country.

Transparency appears to be the new management buzzword at our local Volvo dealers. With the new and extremely vague and confusing "Polestar as a separate brand under Geely's wings" I would say do something with it while you still have loyal followers. Some might even be willing to buy those unsold MY2017's while waiting for that new greatness to come.
      If ever they knew what to expect.
      Honestly I don't think Euro manufacturers have much choice in their direction forward w/ smaller displacement / electric. Even if these solutions are less efficient in their sum total compared to a higher displacement small block V8 they are forced to use them due to how the EU taxes cars on engine displacement.. The regulations have forced things in a direction that isn't all that logical IMO. The LS3 in my Chevy SS made more power then the Polestar Drive-E, generally gave similar MPG, is fairly compact, and really doesn't weigh much given it's output. Yet in the EU a 6.2l engine just isn't doable due to the heavy taxes levied on that larger displacement. Yet anyone who knows anything about engines knows that displacement is only one small factor in how efficient an engine is. A 1.6 heavily boosted racing engine could potentially be way less fuel efficient then a 7 liter V8, and the V8 might only weigh 30-40 more pounds.
      Last edited by mchart; 07-04-2017 at 07:20 PM.

Ah.... so it turns out the two new Polestar models will both be pure EV.....

Or are there more than two Polestar models in the works? I thought Polestar was launching something before 2019. Those two purely electric Polestars are launching 2019 - 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      Or are there more than two Polestar models in the works? I thought Polestar was launching something before 2019. Those two purely electric Polestars are launching 2019 - 2021.
      Nothing is known. P* has only talked about showing a concept this year but there is no word on production timeline. One would think the car shown would be out next year.

Hi Matt1122

You are correct

Haken Samuelson said that the two Polestar models will be pure EV but with a smile when asked this exact question about Polestars being plug in hybrids as they have said before he said "there will be other Polestars"

I'm hoping for a hybrid Polestar and a pure EV version too. Customers don't only want EV....

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoGoteborg View Post
      .....Customers don't only want EV....
      You mean you don't want an EV. There are as many people waiting in line for a Tesla Model 3 as total cars Volvo sold in all of 2016. There were 150k orders in the first hour it was released. The is no lack of demand for quality EV's.
      Last edited by P50GT; 07-05-2017 at 05:37 PM.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast