Electrified Polestar Q&A and discussions - Page 4
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
      Quote Originally Posted by cometguy View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJB84 View Post
      I'm curious what the Polestar 3 SUV-Coupe design would look like with a clean sheet. The Polestar 1 and 2 were based on Volvo concepts so it will be interesting to see what the 3 will end up looking. Excited to see some form of concept/preview of it this year.

Also, it would be interesting if the Polestar 3 is based on the current SPA or the next generation SPA 2 platform.
      Polestar 3 will be an SUV, they say, and I'm assuming something like the XC60. I think that Polestar is tied by the hip to Volvo, so it won't be doing much that is dramatically different from Volvo for a long time, if ever; indeed, the XC40 BEV and Polestar 2 are said to have much in common.

In today's NY Times, there is an article on EVs, and there's an incomplete but rather lengthy list of BEVs scheduled to come out in 2020 and 2021 -- in which the XC40 is discussed (saying it will have 408 hp and an estimated range of around 250 miles) but there's no mention of the Polestar 2. Strange, because the Polestar 2 will be out this spring, a half-year before the XC40 is out.
      I agree that Volvo and Polestar have synergies and there will be certain design elements such as the Thor’s hammer daytime lights that will carry over to Polestar.

I wonder what the exterior and especially the interior would look like. Not saying the the Volvo interiors and exteriors are ugly by any means but I hope this is where the polestar design really shape itself and finding a unique identity from a design perspective. Cause I’m guessing the driving experience will be very fun and exciting.
      |2017 Volvo V90 Cross Country| - Crystal White/Blond Interior - Luxury Package - Convenience Package - HUD - B&O - Premium Air Suspension - Polestar Optimised

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The Polestar 3 should have come out 2020 to compete with the Mach E and Tesla Y. I have little interest in another sedan at this point.
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

saw some new things in vida related to polestar app, I work in volvo service and have not heard about if we will be doing warranty work/service on the polestar models.

edit: they call it "polestar connect" in csc's. also see another new one for "remote service and management system for electric vehicles"
      Last edited by brich999; 01-17-2020 at 09:32 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Yes, I agree about Polestar 3 SUV coming out after Polestar 2 sedan, in terms of lacking wisdom. Ford is doing it correctly with the Mach-E, and Jaguar did it correctly with the I-Pace. However, the Volvo XC40 Recharge will be out later this year, and I just read a news story that the XC90 BEV is the next Volvo in line for all-electric treatment -- and we will presumably hear a lot about that in the coming months. Volvo could make the Polestar line-up moot.

https://www.electrive.com/2020/01/14...90-in-the-usa/

Which begs the question: why spin off Polestar from Volvo? Why not just keep Polestar as the electric arm of Volvo, and call it the XC40 Polestar and the XC90 Polestar (etc.) as the Volvo BEVs? I do understand that both Volvo and Polestar will be separate entities for the USA federal tax credit, so that Volvo will get to sell 200k units and Polestar and additional 200k units -- so 400k units that'll be eligible. Is that why they did it? I'm surprised that other companies like GM (which has just lost its credit by going past 200k EVs) haven't done the same thing -- spinning off a separate EV division to get another 200k credits, to get more sales.
      Last edited by cometguy; 01-17-2020 at 09:50 PM.

Well at least 2021 will be the year of electric choices all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by cometguy View Post
      Yes, I agree about Polestar 3 SUV coming out after Polestar 2 sedan, in terms of lacking wisdom. Ford is doing it correctly with the Mach-E, and Jaguar did it correctly with the I-Pace. However, the Volvo XC40 Recharge will be out later this year, and I just read a news story that the XC90 BEV is the next Volvo in line for all-electric treatment -- and we will presumably hear a lot about that in the coming months. Volvo could make the Polestar line-up moot.

https://www.electrive.com/2020/01/14...90-in-the-usa/

Which begs the question: why spin off Polestar from Volvo? Why not just keep Polestar as the electric arm of Volvo, and call it the XC40 Polestar and the XC90 Polestar (etc.) as the Volvo BEVs? I do understand that both Volvo and Polestar will be separate entities for the USA federal tax credit, so that Volvo will get to sell 200k units and Polestar and additional 200k units -- so 400k units that'll be eligible. Is that why they did it? I'm surprised that other companies like GM (which has just lost its credit by going past 200k EVs) haven't done the same thing -- spinning off a separate EV division to get another 200k credits, to get more sales.
      I look at the spinoff like it’s trying to define itself as a unique, innovative company. As a brand Volvo, Ford, BMW will always be the old guard. If you want to be viewed as a Tesla, Rivian, or Fisker you need your own identity.

It might also empower them to some extent to take risks and do designs that aren’t as conservative as Volvo. The Polestar 2 still has its roots there but you can see that what they are doing with the interior is a step or two more bold than what Volvo is doing.

One of the best videos yet regarding the ins and outs of the Polestar 2, along with a good look at the new Google infotainment screen and options therein:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChHMtjwvjjI

(in Dutch but with English sub-titles)

Looks great. Interior looks very nice and the center console seems very responsive and animations are smooth.

Not very much excitement over this car so far. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by xgman View Post
      Not very much excitement over this car so far. We'll see.
      They’ve done such a bad job building momentum around the brand lately.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune+TDI-Tuning : KW V3 coilovers : DO88 fmic : Ferrita downpipe : Powerflex "race" torque mount insert
      12.99 at 109mph

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4