Electrified Polestar Q&A and discussions - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      According to their latest newsletter, there will be 'a launch event in Shanghai'. Not sure what this means. I guess we will soon find out...
      2012 V70 D5 AWD - Volvo Ocean Race Edition, P* optimized | 2007 C30 2.4i

Past: 1999 C70 T5, 1998 S70 2.5T, 1996 965 3.0, 1999 S80 2.4l, 1989 480 Turbo

instagram.com/alex_mrkln

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The newest video said "no bull****" and "no compromises," so I guess it's going to have a sweet 6- or 8-pot and no electrification afterall!
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

This is a Polestar thread, after all, but let's get serious about using Tesla as a pedestal-mounted example. Among others, the Wall Street Journal finds them unable to make Model 3's in any quantity, essentially making parts and assembling by hand. Tesla now admits their claim of 55k pre-orders was an "estimate;" they now say maybe 45k, and shrinking daily. So much for a company that has "all the tech needed to make these cars." As to the S, the price point is so high that the 7500 tax credit doesn't mean much to the buyer at this level. Volvo likely is not going to compete at that price point, and probably shouldn't
      Let's just see what Volvo has; all this conjecture is like picking a winning horse or candidate: like noses, everyone has one, and they all smell.....

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Holden6v8 View Post
      This is a Polestar thread, after all, but let's get serious about using Tesla as a pedestal-mounted example. Among others, the Wall Street Journal finds them unable to make Model 3's in any quantity, essentially making parts and assembling by hand. Tesla now admits their claim of 55k pre-orders was an "estimate;" they now say maybe 45k, and shrinking daily. So much for a company that has "all the tech needed to make these cars." As to the S, the price point is so high that the 7500 tax credit doesn't mean much to the buyer at this level. Volvo likely is not going to compete at that price point, and probably shouldn't
      Let's just see what Volvo has; all this conjecture is like picking a winning horse or candidate: like noses, everyone has one, and they all smell.....
      Umm, dude your numbers are off by hundreds of thousands!!! Tesla never made any claim of 500k(not 50K) orders, random people in the media did. The most they ever said was 400k and no it's not shrinking daily, it's increasing daily. It's good to have actual sources when you make such claims. From Tesla last Shareholders letter, they are avg 1,800 net Model 3 reservations/day

Also Tesla has come out and said the WSJ article is complete BS. The production issues right now are due to the production lines operating at 1/10 their full speed to check for QC issues. https://www.instagram.com/p/BaAOokSg...en-by=elonmusk
      Current: 2015.5 V60 Polestar Matte Gunpowder #50
      Past: 2008 Subaru Legacy GT
      Family: 1981 Volvo 240 Turbo / 2015.5 XC60 Ocean Race Edition

Photo Blog: http://p50gt.kinja.com/ Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p50gt/

"Um Dude" you can believe their Kool-Aid if you want. The fact is their schedules have not been met, "reservations" are not cars out the door, more recalls just announced, and the cars themselves have been at least partly to blame for crashes. I tend not to believe publicity, myself. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is...

Quote Originally Posted by Holden6v8 View Post
      "Um Dude" you can believe their Kool-Aid if you want. The fact is their schedules have not been met, "reservations" are not cars out the door, more recalls just announced, and the cars themselves have been at least partly to blame for crashes. I tend not to believe publicity, myself. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is...
      Wow, okay sorry I need to explain this to you but Reservations are "pre-orders" which is exactly what you brought up. You know that thing that you misrepresented by a factor of 10X. The difference between 50,000 and 500,000 for car volume is insane. Shareholder letters, which is what I showed you are under the guidance of the SEC, so sorry it's straight facts. This is information provided to the investing community to make informed decisions.

Now as far as timelines, the timeline for Model 3 since it was announced was end of '17. Go watch the launch event if you think differently. At the time everyone said they wouldn't be able to produce a single Model 3 in '17. Now everyone is complaining that they aren't at full production in October. How's Audi doing with that E-tron that they first showed 7 years ago?
      Current: 2015.5 V60 Polestar Matte Gunpowder #50
      Past: 2008 Subaru Legacy GT
      Family: 1981 Volvo 240 Turbo / 2015.5 XC60 Ocean Race Edition

Photo Blog: http://p50gt.kinja.com/ Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p50gt/

Quote Originally Posted by P50GT View Post
      Autocar has now released the first picture of a P* car and it looks like an AMG GT...
      https://finance.yahoo.com/news/porsc...152400869.html

This field is going to explode in the next few years, to the benefit of ordinary people because the high-end car electric technology will get put into much cheaper cars and be more mass-produced.

Well, Polestar 2 certainly looks interesting! Check out the introductory presentation video from this past week:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVg5ycWTAhQ

And Polestar 2 is orderable with an online configurator now:
      https://www.polestar.com/polestar-2/...00_00000__R14B

Some interesting info and pics on Polestar 1 also, at the configurator...

As for Polestar only selling its cars online, there's this funny article regarding Tesla's announcement this week of doing the same:

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...hoo&yptr=yahoo

I'm actually quite excited to see what comes of this. I'm very interested in a Polestar 2, but I'm going to wait until after the launch edition to see what the totality of the performance and extended range options may be (if any). Some autoblogs seem to have the impression that more will come later (aside from the performance package that comes with upgraded suspension and braking, that is).

Pre-ordered yesterday for CAD $1500.

Said target price is CAD $69,500 and summer 2020 availability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      KECA Kombi - Now '16 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Just a K&N filter so far, but love the PoleStar tune.

Quote Originally Posted by KCCM View Post

Pre-ordered yesterday for CAD $1500.

Said target price is CAD $69,500 and summer 2020 availability

Looks great! Is this the denim blue color?
      I would definitely go for this over a Tesla -- not even a contest for me!

It’s called Thunder and seems more like a charcoal grey - yes, had a Model 3 on order but cancelled when they couldn’t deliver an AWD in time to get the Ontario tax credits, which ended last year. Always had Volvos and think this will be much better.

KECA Kombi - Now '16 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Just a K&N filter so far, but love the PoleStar tune.

Interesting story about the new Google Android OS:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...-infotainment/

This is also coming to Volvo next year, apparently. I'm not keen on the idea of your smartphone as your key. And what could possibly go wrong with Google running the tech in your car? I wish they'd keep buttons/knobs for audio and climate. My main desire to use a computer screen in my car is to have Google Maps there, period. But this can't be worse than Sensus. I wonder what Volvo will call the new infotainment system; Polestar is clearly not calling it Sensus.

Also interesting that they are letting US federal tax credits for Polestar be separate from Volvo:

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...ely-from-volvo

a year+ wait. ugg.. two things I'm disappointed are not available. Air suspension and Heads Up Display.
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

Yeah, waited more than two years after deposit for the Tesla Model 3 then didn’t take delivery because Elon couldn’t get me an AWD before our local tax credit ended

Meanwhile, still quite enjoy our ‘16 V60RD 3.0 - close to the apex of gasoline- engined Volvo!

P.S.: Did some numbers, based on our last electrical bill and average 30k km/year, should save at least CAD $3.5k/year just on premium (and not counting the maintenance costs, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by P50GT View Post
      You mean you don't want an EV. There are as many people waiting in line for a Tesla Model 3 as total cars Volvo sold in all of 2016. There were 150k orders in the first hour it was released. The is no lack of demand for quality EV's.
      I think that most people don't want BEVs yet. I predict that PHEVs will surpass annual sales of BEVs in 5-10 years and stay that way for some time until BEVs surpass ICEVs in annual sales. Range anxiety and charging infrastructure are very real problems for most people. That is why I went for my first PHEV last year. After six months of test-driving all of Volvo's and Porsche's PHEVs, I decided that Volvo was too far behind Porsche in PHEV technology and I plunged for the much more expensive Panamera 4 E-Hybrid -- reluctantly because of the cost, but the Volvos were just too inferior in technology to justify spending $60k-$70k for a Volvo PHEV (and indeed, the Panamera E-Hybrids are out-selling the Volvo T8s by individual model in terms of sales numbers, despite their being more expensive -- a very telling sign). I'm not ready for a BEV yet, but a PHEV with a dependable 20-25 miles of all-electric range is borderline ok for me (the Volvos didn't reach that borderline for me, and their tiny-in-comparison gas tanks didn't help matters). The drive train on the Porsches is also very superior (electric power and ICE power going together equally to all four wheels, instead of being split by axle as in the Volvos). If Volvo can come out with a Cross Country wagon with a 14- to 20-kwH battery pack in a PHEV, I"ll almost certainly buy one, despite the issues with much less all-electric power going to the rear axle than the all-ICE power going to the front axle only.

If we get a BEV, we're going to want one or two other ICE-only vehicles or PHEVs in our garage also, for longer trips. Most people aren't in the mood for taking BEVs far out of town with the charging infrastructure so spotty at this point. The people that you hear driving Teslas across the country are probably way less than 1% of the total Tesla owners; I doubt that most Tesla owners drive more than a full charge roundtrip from home. And indeed, most people don't drive over 100 miles a day, 99% of the time, so BEVs are great for local driving; then you're just topping off the charge every night, rarely ever getting low on a 300-mile-range Tesla. Non-Tesla BEVs are inferior so far in their range; other auto makers have a lot of catching up to do with Tesla in terms of BEV technology. The Polestar 2 is one that I'll be looking at very closely, but I think the range won't reach that of Teslas. Volvos involvement with (PH)EV battery technology has not been very inspiring so far.
      Last edited by cometguy; 07-25-2019 at 04:00 PM.

Respectfully disagree Cometguy, because:

1. Batteries (and this range and power) are getting more efficient and cheaper.

2. PHEVs are just hybrids with an extension cord, and thus more complex and more expensive, both to buy and maintain, for not enough efficiency gains overall. Toyota may be able to build a relatively reliable and inexpensive PHEV, but who wants to drive it (which is why you ponied up for the Porsche).

3. Related to 2 and my other posts, I will get a P* 2 and keep our V60RD and have the best of both worlds for less money than you are spending (and will spend) on the Porsche

Respectfully disagree Cometguy, because:

1. Batteries (and this range and power) are getting more efficient and cheaper.

2. PHEVs are just hybrids with an extension cord, and thus more complex and more expensive, both to buy and maintain, for not enough efficiency gains overall. Toyota may be able to build a relatively reliable and inexpensive PHEV, but who wants to drive it (which is why you ponied up for the Porsche).

3. Related to 2 and my other posts, I will get a P* 2 and keep our V60RD and have the best of both worlds for less money than you are spending (and will spend) on the Porsche

I don't disagree with you. I would not want to own any PHEV outside of warranty; I can imagine that AWD PHEVs will have plenty of problems beyond their warranty periods. I will say this, however, about my Panamera E-Hybrid: I have used its electric motor to the max. I went from getting gas once a week in my ICE-only Volvo with an 18-gallon gas tank to getting gas only once every 5-6 weeks in my Panamera with its 21-gallon tank -- in normal daily driving where I'm not doing out-of-town trips. There was a point in June, in fact, where I had only used 3 gallons of gas in my Panamera in more than 350 miles of driving locally, and was on course to go 2200 miles on a single tank of gas. So you are wrong about PHEVs being only glorified versions of non-plugin hybrids. I can control fully when my Panamera drives in electric mode (provided there is enough battery charge left in its 14-kWh capacity, and the outside air temperature is above freezing), and I can accelerate quickly without the ICE coming on if I so choose, and I can go up to 87 mph without the ICE coming on. Also, I got $7800 in federal and state rebates by buying my PHEV (you get zero in the US for a non-plugin hybrid). So there are huge differences between "mild hybrids" like the standard Prius or RAV4 or Highlander hybrids and a PHEV done well.

Toyota only has a single PHEV right now, and it's a new vehicle -- the Prius Prime. Toyota and Subaru announced this past month that they are forming a partnership to build BEVs together on a single platform, and I think that that partnership will likely change the BEV world like no other company besides Tesla will change it (because they are reliable, successful giants in the industry, and they won't fool around like GM has with their Volts and Bolts, or Nissan with their Leafs).

I note with interest that Volvo USA has just put the new 2020 V60 wagon in T8 form on their configurator -- after it was stated that this would not be coming to North America.

I look forward to hearing your experiences when you get your Polestar2!
      Last edited by cometguy; 07-25-2019 at 09:04 PM.

I just went to the Polestar 2 online configurator, and the specs there do not indicate that the back seat can be folded down; one would think they'd mention it if it were true, and also that the Polestar people would point all reviewers (YouTube, online magazine) to this fact to show on camera or in print, but that does not appear to be the case. This is a huge issue; I suspect that the biggest reason that sedans today are falling out of favor with the buying public is that you can't put the rear seats down, making them very inflexible for carrying any loads other than very small ones... All of the Polestar 2 competitors (Audi e-tron, Jaguar I-Pace, Tesla Model 3) have rear seats that fold down; Polestar/Volvo will lose a LOT of sales if they omitted this option.

Electrified Polestar Q&A and discussions

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/polestar/2

Went to the PoleStar 2 launch in Toronto and got a full view and sit-in and brief: back seat is 60/40 split fold-down with a pass-through in the armrest, which makes the hatch very useable.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/polestar/2

Went to the PoleStar 2 launch in Toronto and got a full view and sit-in and brief: back seat is 60/40 split fold-down with a pass-through in the armrest, which makes the hatch very useable.

Great! Thanks for that useful info. I'm surprised that Volvo isn't making that information widely available, because it is oh-so-important. (The article you linked to says nothing about the back seats folding down, from what I can see, so I'm confused as to why you linked to it to answer my question.)
      Last edited by cometguy; 11-06-2019 at 12:43 AM.

I wrote to Polestar, and some Polestar person wrote back with some answers to my questions:
      "Yes, the rear seats can be folded. The ground clearance is 151 mm. Polestar 2 comes with one standard remote key fob and one waterproof activity key, if you don't want to use your phone as key. And we will announce more information about other Polestar 2 versions at a later date, stay tuned."
      The last sentence was in reference to my question about whether the cheaper $45k version of Polestar 2 will be AWD or not...

Quote Originally Posted by cometguy View Post
      Great! Thanks for that useful info. I'm surprised that Volvo isn't making that information widely available, because it is oh-so-important. (The article you linked to says nothing about the back seats folding down, from what I can see, so I'm confused as to why you linked to it to answer my question.)
      Sorry to confuse - article was one of the first driving previews I have seen and only included it for general interest.

Phone as key fob is just such a stupid, horrible idea ... I can't begin to say how much I dislike this concept, for a myriad of reasons.

https://www.swedespeed.com/news/phone-key-happens-dies/

28. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3