Goodbye R hello Pilot!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Goodbye R hello Pilot!

Finally settled on the Recked R. Bought a Honda. End of my R problems! Good Day.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Goodbye R hello Pilot! (Dino)

see ya. oclv

Now that's a brutal transition...

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Yes, you will have 0 problems, yes, you will have 0 fun.
      B.O.R.I.N.G.
      Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 117K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 158,000 miles and still near perfect!

S60 R to Honda Pilot - my condolences...

I agree with Jim - 0 problems but 0 fun.

Good luck

Re: (23109VC)

At least get the MDX!!!
      SOLD!!! 2005 S60R. Mods: IPD (Stage 2 ECU, Trak Spec F&R sways, 3" DP, HD-TCV, HD-coils, HD-endlinks, SS brake lines), HEICO (CATback, 18" Volution wheels), Phuz PhMIC, JRL resonator delete, RKelly CAI, PLX OLED Boost Gauge, VST roof spoiler, 35% 3M window tint, other littler things.

Re: (Short Circuit)

Quote, originally posted by Short Circuit »
      At least get the MDX!!!

Agreed.

Personally, I would like to say goodbye R and give the new 330xi a try. Though I love AWD, one SUV in the house is enough.

2011 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow/Black Alcantara
      2004 S60R 6MT - Passion Red/Nordkap (sold)
      2009 RAV4 Sport V6 - Classic Silver/Charcoal

Are you planning to invite in-laws for an extended stay? then 7 seater vessel like Pilot will do just fine.

seems like a un-related vehicle switch. how many baby mama's do you have? you know for all of the seats.

i mean i got my volvo for carrying (1) one kid and work. what is the real story?

Re: (phanton5.9)

The R and every dealership service department were nothing but a pain in my ass for day one! Yes there were things that I liked about it but the service way overshadowed anything good. If Volvo or mama Ford are listening you need to FIRE 90% of your state side service reps!!! I heard "Oh, that is normal for a performance car." too many damn times! I know there are a few good departments in the states but I couldn't find one. The only place that would listen and give me any help was Swedish in Edmond, OK. If I would have been here longer or some old geezer didn't total my car then things might of been different, well they were for the one time I went to them. But why the Honda, looked at the Cadi SRX w/Northstar and all the toys, right price but was gone before the car was settled. The MDX, what a piece. Felt like a cheap Honda! Then there is the new baby on the way, hence Honda. To close, for the two years that I owned the car it only cost me $3,000.00, thank you for lazy insurance adjusters! If you pass a Pilot think of me...

LOL ! If i see a pilot, i will be cracking up! A pilot?!?!?!?!

Re: (MyS60RisFlying)

Quote, originally posted by MyS60RisFlying »
      LOL ! If i see a pilot, i will be cracking up! A pilot?!?!?!?!

geez, give it a rest

there are other priorities in life

Re: (MyS60RisFlying)

Actually, my wife & I looked at Pilots. They're decent vehicles . . . well built, reliable, safe... For what they are (and perhaps for what this fellow needs) they are good !

The ended up #2 on our list. #1 was the XC-90 (which she drives and loves . . . she actually prefers it to my R)

For this fellow, it might be good to switch from the R to a pilot. Look, the Pilot is SO different (and so much slower, etc.) he won't often be comparing the performance to the R (because they are so much different). If he'd bought a sport sedan, he'd be comparing them.

Re: (Dino)

Quote, originally posted by Dino »
      The MDX, what a piece. Felt like a cheap Honda! ..

I don't understand that. Both the Pilot and MDX are from the same platform. The Pilot is nice, don't get me wrong, but the MDX is upmarket from the Pilot. A little more power from the same V-6 and more interior features.
      But you can't go wrong with either. I like the Pilot in that gray-greenish color.

2006 - Sonic Blue S60R - OSD 1 - sold
      2007 - Mercedes Benz E63 AMG Black
      2007 - XC90 V8 Ruby Red OSD 2 - now belongs ex!
      2008 - XC90 V8 Sport - Dynaudio/GPS/BLIS/DVD Gray

Re: (flybynight)

Quote, originally posted by flybynight »
      I don't understand that. Both the Pilot and MDX are from the same platform.

The MDX, Pilot, Odyssey and Ridgeline are built on Honda's large, "truck" platform. The '05 Oddy and the Ridgeline are built of the "new" version of the platform. Following Honda's normal model introduction patterns I'd look for the MDX and Pilot to switch to the new platform for MY 2007.

If you need a box on wheels to carry stuff, Honda makes the finest boxes on wheels to carry stuff that are made today. That's not something bad, that's what about 99% of car buyers need.

'98 V70 T5, 5-speed manual, white, 220K mi, original clutch, third clutch pedal, third AC evaporator, heated tan velour seats, cracked dashboard, factory HD suspension (1998 only), front IPD stabilizer bar, rear HD Bilsteins, Volvo strut tower brace and skidplate, XC grill, C70 E-Code headlights, fog lights, no spoiler, hard-wired V-1, Lidatek, IPD stuff, JB Weld, 3M Duct Tape, zip-ties, Mobil-1 since new.

If the Pilot shares ANYTHING with the 05 Odyssey, you'll absolutely love it. I never thought I'd say that if I had to drive a van everyday. I'd enjoy it. Honda's "box on wheels" is actually more like a limoscene on wheels, with, quite frankly, features that are lightyears ahead of Volvo's top of the line SUV (my sister has the XC90). Let alone a plush ride, lots more room, and reliability.

Enjoy your new Pilot.

Re: (dp810)

I don't think anyone (including myself) can say anything "bad" about the pilot.
      It's just that it's so boring, (as most Hondas and Japanese cars are).
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 117K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 158,000 miles and still near perfect!

But why the Honda, looked at the Cadi SRX w/Northstar and all the toys, right price but was gone before the car was settled. The MDX, what a piece. Felt like a cheap Honda!

Well, what's done is done, but being that I never buy new cars, I would have looked at a used Cayenne for the dough spent. Yes, the Honda is more practical, but your R must have really been a POS if the Honda is an attractive alternative.
      Jim

06 V70R Sonacama 6spd

Re: (JRL)

Absolutely boring compared to the R. These are two different animals all together. I thnk what some (and I) are saying is that given the fact that he wanted a completely different type of vehicle, he made a good choice.

Re: (dp810)

Quote, originally posted by dp810 »
      Absolutely boring compared to the R. These are two different animals all together. I thnk what some (and I) are saying is that given the fact that he wanted a completely different type of vehicle, he made a good choice.

No. Better choices out there, IMO. Very boring compared to almost everything but, yes, a VERY reliable vehicle

Drove a Pilot and MDX when looking to trade in our 850....yes, BORING. Went to Volvo and test drove a V70....bought it....Priceless!
      '98 S70 T5 Emerald Green IPD and other Upgrades/ '07 S40 T5 M-66 MT Mystic Silver Metallic, Heico Sports Suspension & Cone Air Filter, OZ 18" Wheels, Elevate Dual Exhaust Intake Manifold BOV & Stage 1 Tune, 27mm Racing Beat Rear Sway, Proforged Rear End Links, Ultra Racing Strut Tower brace & E-Focus Mount/ '04 V70 2.5T Ruby Red - IPD Upgrades (wife's car)/ '07 S60 2.5T Barrent Blue (son's car) All: Mobil-1 synthetic @ 5K miles.

wow, it must be exillerating to drive the pilot down a twisting winding country road with one foot on a single pedal floored to get up the hill and a single hand on the wheel while the other wrapped around a latte. All while your hair perfectly parted to the side. That sounds so exiting and adventurous.

Re: (R_Rated)

Speaking of boring, I just got an (02) RX300 for the wife.
      Time for the S60AWD to go, had it too long. (and own too many Volvos, time for a change)
      Bought it sooooooooooooo cheap, (hit in right door but otherwise 100%)
      I have been waiting for the right deal to come around for her change and this was it.
      Speaking of hits, this one took a real shot in the door and it really held up nicely so, as for safety, no concerns here
      I have many miles in these cars and while they may be more or less in the same catagory as a Pilot, at least it is interesting looking, has a wonderful interior and a second to none stereo. (Usefull litle crossover )
      Good for this winter, probebly will sell it in the spring. It should be all fixed by the middle of Oct. which is why I said in my ad that the S60 will GO, one way or another by then
      JRL

Re: (flybynight)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have driven many relatives' MDXs, owned an '02 Ody and test drove a Pilot and the fake woodgrain in the MDX cheapens the interior, IMHO. Also, the tan perforated leather seats remind me a little of band-aids. The Pilot does not attempt the upmarket thing. Having said that, the MDX has better handling, a little better throttle response, but is also several grand more expensive.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

It's also important to keep in mind the model years when doing comparisons. We had an 03 Odyssey that we didn't really like. The 05 is new from the ground up and is different in every way. I'm sure other Acura/Honda models follow the same upgrades.

The MDX, what a piece. Felt like a cheap Honda! Then there is the new baby on the way, hence Honda. To close, for the two years that I owned the car it only cost me $3,000.00, thank you for lazy insurance adjusters! If you pass a Pilot think of me...

I'm confused. Acura is the higher line version of Honda. And you're telling me that you felt like the Acura was cheaper feeling than a Honda? I dont' get it.

Re: (Wayne T5)

Completely agree about the fake wooden interior trim on the MDX> That really struck me as inconsistent with much of the vehicle. They would have done better with simplr plastic or perhaps stianless, or (in a wild move) ACTUAL wood !

In general, fake wood looks, well, fake and crappy.

I own the 05 S60R MT and an '04 Pilot (yes, that silver/geenish color). Except for road trips where we need the cargo room, anytime I drive the wife and two kids anywhere, it's in the R. The Pilot is really nice but boring and the stereo is lame compared to the R. But the Honda will hold its resale better way better than the R though. It's a better deal than the MDX. I love how these japanese builders take the same engine and just alter the ECU to give the car that costs $10-$15K more 30 extra HP. Exact same engine. Then they make it so you don't have a sunroof option on the Pilot (we didn't care) but come on, they were REALLY stretching things to try to differentiate the two to justify the extra cost of the MDX in my opinion. The only thing the MDX has that the Pilot doesn't that was significant in my mind is stability control.

I feel ya on taking the car to dealer about a quirk and getting the standard "it's a stiff performance car, that's just how it is' response. The R is a very uncommon and unique car. Only the S4 offers the same setup (4-dr, performance, AWD, luxury) but with a very boring/sterile body design compared to the R. My R has been free on any major troubles (luckily they fixed most of the stuff that was found wrong in the '04) but as far as any other little quirks, I consider it the price you pay for driving the best looking, least seen, AWD 4-dr performance sedan on the road. I just wish Volvo resale value was better.

So just own both!

Re: (jazee)

Quote, originally posted by jazee »
      I own '04 Pilot (yes, that silver/geenish color).

(Barf)
      That really IS one of the most horrible car colors to come along in a long time and especially with the Pilot, it doesn't work IMO, sorry

Re: (jazee)

Well as an MDX owner (05), I can tell you it's worth every extra penny. There is no comparison between the two vehicles. I think you need to look more closely at the two, and you'll realize the differences. There is much more to it than just the sam engine. Ride is superior, cabin is much more quiet, Navi is one of the best, integrated sat radio. interior materials, etc...... However I do agree that for almost 40K you should get real wood

Re: (dectech1)

Someone else said this, but different model years are different. When we test drove them, we drove all '04's. I'd say the '05's are much nicer and possibly more difference between the MDX and Pilot.
      '98 S70 T5 Emerald Green IPD and other Upgrades/ '07 S40 T5 M-66 MT Mystic Silver Metallic, Heico Sports Suspension & Cone Air Filter, OZ 18" Wheels, Elevate Dual Exhaust Intake Manifold BOV & Stage 1 Tune, 27mm Racing Beat Rear Sway, Proforged Rear End Links, Ultra Racing Strut Tower brace & E-Focus Mount/ '04 V70 2.5T Ruby Red - IPD Upgrades (wife's car)/ '07 S60 2.5T Barrent Blue (son's car) All: Mobil-1 synthetic @ 5K miles.

i don't think the R's are even in the same ballpark with thesee suv's. not a fair comarison in any way whatsoever.

35. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements