Strut tower brace bar
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Strut tower brace bar

Does anyone know any company that makes a front strut tower brace bar for these vehicles? I can't find anyone who does

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Volvo does.

This will fit your XC60 like a glove:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...race-on-V-XC70
      '11 V70 D5 AWD R-Design w. Polestar upgrade
      '98 S70 GLT
      '85 245 Turbo

eBay has a few Chinese companies making them. Strut tower braces will do nothing, however. Some of the P1 guys had an improvement because the cars were based on a decades old Ford chassis, but the P3 chassis is already very stiff from the factory and would not benefit from a strut tower bar. Additionally, you need three points to make a brace. Using just two causes the chassis to flex like a parallelogram; hence why most of the time on high end cars with strut braces from the factory they are also tied into the middle of the firewall as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pengc99 View Post
      eBay has a few Chinese companies making them. Strut tower braces will do nothing, however. Some of the P1 guys had an improvement because the cars were based on a decades old Ford chassis, but the P3 chassis is already very stiff from the factory and would not benefit from a strut tower bar. Additionally, you need three points to make a brace. Using just two causes the chassis to flex like a parallelogram; hence why most of the time on high end cars with strut braces from the factory they are also tied into the middle of the firewall as well.
      I respectfully disagree.
      I've experienced improved handling in my V70, and I'm not alone. The strut brace on the Polestar S/V60's is exactly the same except for being made of carbon fiber instead of aluminum, and they're not just for show either! So if you want an inexpensive (although not revolutionizing) improvement to your cars handling, I definitely recommend the R-design strut brace.
      '98 S70 GLT
      '85 245 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_J View Post
      I respectfully disagree.
      I've experienced improved handling in my V70, and I'm not alone. The strut brace on the Polestar S/V60's is exactly the same except for being made of carbon fiber instead of aluminum, and they're not just for show either! So if you want an inexpensive (although not revolutionizing) improvement to your cars handling, I definitely recommend the R-design strut brace.
      No problem; in the end you're not compromising anything to install one so it's not a huge deal either way if you do or don't install one. If it makes you feel better or if you notice an improvement, why not?

I think there's a Japanese company that makes Volvo parts too, I think ERST? Maybe you can import one from them.

Do I need to purchase the 2 bolts also or does it install with bolts already on the car?

Quote Originally Posted by cory30189 View Post
      Do I need to purchase the 2 bolts also or does it install with bolts already on the car?
      Are you referring to the Volvo R-design strut brace?
      In that case, no you don't need new bolts. Just use the ones already on the car.
      '98 S70 GLT
      '85 245 Turbo

I noticed my windshield cowl little grill covers are not removable. I assume I just need to cut an opening to access the bolt on each side to install the bar to?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_J View Post
      Volvo does.

This will fit your XC60 like a glove:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...race-on-V-XC70
      Sadly this does not fit my XC60

I think it fits other XC60s so your shouldn't be an exception. How is it not fitting your car? It was made for the V-/S60 cars and it fits my S80. Even fits the XC70.
      "The top-end T8's are like 'dictator opulent'. It screams 'drive me through the Kremlin in a military parade with some ICBMs on trucks'" - TheVolvo
      "Just change all 4 tires at the same time when needed and it feels always like a flying carpet"
      "Car was dusty and dirty yet he cleaned it without using any water. It scared me and I am afraid of nothing"
      "XC70 FWD is like a beer with 0% Alc. Wtf, realy wtf."
      " I am sure I will buy a mainstream car with great mileage and a plug-in instead of a but-plug 🖤"
      - CrossingCountries

Its about 1/2" to short from bolt to bolt. If someone has it installed on an xc60 I'd love to see it. But on my car its too short

Upon further investigation, the xc60 is an 1.1" wider then the rest of the p3 platforms, and that is why it will not fit correctly.

Wider chassis? Or wider body e.g wider fenders? I have to suspect it's your brace bar that's bent or wrong, I can't believe they would make all P3's the exact same specs but make the XC60 half an inch wider between the struts.
      "The top-end T8's are like 'dictator opulent'. It screams 'drive me through the Kremlin in a military parade with some ICBMs on trucks'" - TheVolvo
      "Just change all 4 tires at the same time when needed and it feels always like a flying carpet"
      "Car was dusty and dirty yet he cleaned it without using any water. It scared me and I am afraid of nothing"
      "XC70 FWD is like a beer with 0% Alc. Wtf, realy wtf."
      " I am sure I will buy a mainstream car with great mileage and a plug-in instead of a but-plug 🖤"
      - CrossingCountries

Yes the car itself is 1.1" wider then the other p3 vehicles. I looked online at the specifications for my car and a 2010 s80

I would love this on my xc60, could u share some pictures? How did you determine non fit?

Quote Originally Posted by freddell View Post
      I would love this on my xc60, could u share some pictures? How did you determine non fit?
      Well I bought one from my dealer and tried to install it at home and when I removed the cowl and tried to line it up to the bolts, it would not line up to any of them. Then I just googled searched my car and found the dimensions of it and found the dimensions of a s80 and v70 same year and found out the xc60 is wider. I have found a company on eBay that sells a true strut tower brace for the xc60 and it will fit the US model but its $230 with overseas shipping

Thanks Cory, I will search on eBay, I think it would probably help more on XC60 than S60. Although what do you think about these adds? Are they incorrect?
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-09-16-...dW-BVw&vxp=mtr

(XC60 and V60 compatibility???)

DO you know one which is certified to work?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171392448853

This is what I just ordered and he told me it will fit

Wouldn't this make access to the battery compartment and the fluid reservoir next to it much more difficult?

Yes but the bar going across can be unbolted from the strut mounts so you can access the battery and reservoir

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171392448853

This is what I just ordered and he told me it will fit
      thats the same bar i was looking at for a few weeks now and wasnt sure if i should pull the trigger. would you be able to post some pictures when you get it? will make my decision that much easier
      2019 XC60 R-Design - work in progress
      2015 XC60 R-Design - Totaled
      2016 VW GTI - modified
      2005 G35 -modified

Awesome strut tower brace. Fast shipping and perfect fit

Awesome strut tower brace. Fast shipping and perfect fit
      can you post pics and driving impressions?
      2016 VW GTI - modified
      2005 G35 -modified

Bump. still waiting for those pics and impressions
      2016 VW GTI - modified
      2005 G35 -modified

I bought an r design brace for my xc60 and it as stated above doesn't fit. For 20.00 bucks and a little DIY, I am going to make it fit. If it works I'll post what I did. Stay tuned.
      15 Volvo XC60 R-Design Platinum Pearl White Metallic, POLESTAR EXHAUST TDI Tuning Box, POLESTAR TUNED , IPD Rear Sway Bar and links, IPD POLY TORQUE ROD Koni FSD's, Eibach Loweing Springs, Powerflex Torque Bushing, Bloxsport wheel spacers
      Sold: 2008 Volvo C30 2.0 Java/Cosmic White, Manual, Elevate Tune, Weird OEM Mood Lighting Kit, EST Catback Exhaust, Koni STR.T, H&R Springs, Injen Intake, 19' BBS SR Wheels, Ion Yellow Fogs,
      SoldL 2006 Volvo V70R, Magic Blue, Stock

I got the OEM R Design bar, which is too short, to fit. It works well too. I went to Home Depot, purchased sliding door brackets with a 1/4 inch rise. Took a 3/8 drill bit and dremel to cut the wheel off and punched out of the wheel rivet on top. I then made another 3/8 hole as close to the middle where the bend is in the metal. 20190305_134258.jpg
      20190305_134251.jpg

The holes are far apart just enough to make up for the difference in bar length. Attach a 3/4 inch long 3/8 bolt from the bracket to the bar. 20190305_134245.jpg

Make sure you are on a level surface or Jack up the front end for the install. This part is important as I installed incorrectly and already cut apart the black mesh grilles above the strut towers. Install the brackets facing the firewall instead of the engine... my bar fits the way I did it, but you cannot see the bar, not the R design logo. The bar runs against the plastic wall. Look here. 20190319_143354.jpg
      20190319_143346.jpg

I put a couple thin foam strips under the brackets so the metal wouldn't rub against the cars paint/metal.

When snugging the strut tower bolt down, do not over tighten! They take like 11nm of torque. I sheered a bolt off and was a pita to drill out.

Overall, I do feel a better handling difference, the car is more composed over uneven and bouncy road and handles better.
      15 Volvo XC60 R-Design Platinum Pearl White Metallic, POLESTAR EXHAUST TDI Tuning Box, POLESTAR TUNED , IPD Rear Sway Bar and links, IPD POLY TORQUE ROD Koni FSD's, Eibach Loweing Springs, Powerflex Torque Bushing, Bloxsport wheel spacers
      Sold: 2008 Volvo C30 2.0 Java/Cosmic White, Manual, Elevate Tune, Weird OEM Mood Lighting Kit, EST Catback Exhaust, Koni STR.T, H&R Springs, Injen Intake, 19' BBS SR Wheels, Ion Yellow Fogs,

Here are the brackets I bought from Home depot.20190224_165611.jpg

30. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements