Adam's Amazon Wagon Project Update Thread "HeadQuarters" - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Getting closer. It's a process of lower, mark, raise, trim, lower, mark, raise, trim until I get it where I want it. Then it'll be raise, grind, weld prime, lower and weld.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Lookin' good. I watched on and off this afternoon as time allowed. Can't see much detail from the camera position but it's great to see the progress. Thanks for the photos.

I've been thinking about the taillight filler, as well, since I saw someone else do it a few years ago. I don't especially want to buy one but wouldn't mind using your drawings to make my own. If you ever get around to sharing (or selling) the plans, I'd be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by bkap View Post
      Lookin' good. I watched on and off this afternoon as time allowed. Can't see much detail from the camera position but it's great to see the progress. Thanks for the photos.

I've been thinking about the taillight filler, as well, since I saw someone else do it a few years ago. I don't especially want to buy one but wouldn't mind using your drawings to make my own. If you ever get around to sharing (or selling) the plans, I'd be interested.
      I'd be more than happy to give you what I have. The sheet metal portion was built from scratch the old fashioned way. Let me put something together and get it to you. Next week though. I'm kinda busy this week.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Subscribed. This is insane
      1995 850 T-5R Estate. AW50-42LE. Cream Yellow/Graphite. 296k.
      1997 850R Estate. RN/M66D. Bright Red/Graphite. 270k.
      2007 S60 T5. M66W. Black Sapphire/Arena. 136k.

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k. <--- FOR SALE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam.Nonis View Post
      I'd be more than happy to give you what I have. The sheet metal portion was built from scratch the old fashioned way. Let me put something together and get it to you. Next week though. I'm kinda busy this week.

Day 3

Day 3

I think I'm going to bring the body all the way down to even on the lower pinch welds. That will put a fairly big step up in the interior rocker (like a Corvette), but I think that's the only way I'll be able to get the car as low as I'd like. I'm not about the off-road look.

That's a good idea. That or go with bigger wheels and meet part way?
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

End of day pics:

Hopefully by the end of tomorrow the two will be stuck together some amount.

Insulate that convertible top pocket and make it a big fat subwoofer enclosure.
      2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake, RIP kit, & drop-in intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, Green Giants, 22 psi Hilton tune.
      2006 V70R M66 - Sonic Blue/Nordkap, 2.4 T5 motor, Snabb intake & intercooler, IPD oval exhaust, stock turbo and tune (for now).
      1966 122s - Collectible project, restoration and many mods on the way.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD - Daughter's first car. No mods unless she does 'em herself.

Quote Originally Posted by LloydDobler View Post
      I second the sub idea! Give it a little suede or hell some shag carpet would be cool too

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LloydDobler View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_Izaguirre View Post
      I second the sub idea! Give it a little suede or hell some shag carpet would be cool too
      I did high end car stereo installs for years and I can say for sure that acoustically, that's the worst spot you can put subs in an open air situation like a wagon or a hatch. You'll get massive standing waves that cancel out and it'll sound like arse. I've had more than one person request a box in a "middle of the car" spot like that (corvette and RX7 storage compartments come to mind) and despite me protesting, I've done it and they always wind up having to pay for a second box. Under that compartment facing back would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam.Nonis View Post
      I did high end car stereo installs for years and I can say for sure that acoustically, that's the worst spot you can put subs in an open air situation like a wagon or a hatch. You'll get massive standing waves that cancel out and it'll sound like arse. I've had more than one person request a box in a "middle of the car" spot like that (corvette and RX7 storage compartments come to mind) and despite me protesting, I've done it and they always wind up having to pay for a second box. Under that compartment facing back would work.
      Ok so how about putting some NOS bottles or TV's and a Xbox in that cubbie? I feel like it would be a waste to just remove it

Well, the 206 decided to water my lawn, so the covers will stay on for now. I'm gonna chip away at my honey-do list until the sun comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_Izaguirre View Post
      Ok so how about putting some NOS bottles or TV's and a Xbox in that cubbie? I feel like it would be a waste to just remove it

The cubby will stay. I might use it for detailing supply storage or just a general carry around area. It's not going away.

Stuck together. Tomorrow I'll start the filler panel process. Seat height is good. I didn't live stream today since it was a late start, and still a little wet out. I'm pretty excited. Getting the inside brace out and being able to drive it around to move it makes a HUGE difference.

Looking great.

That's gonna do it for this week. I've got lots of house stuff to do this weekend. There's still a bunch to do, but the fact that it runs and drives makes it seem so much more manageable. I feel like I accomplished a ton.

You have accomplished a ton. This looks like an almost perfect fit. By the way, if you do get rid of that top storage you will need to build a cross-brace to replace it. You may need to build some bracing anyway because you have cut into the structure of the BMW chassis quite a bit. Not sure how stiff it will be even with the Volvo body welded to it.
      2001 V70 T5M, TME Springs, 216,000 miles - SOLD

That looks fantastic man. I'm amazed at how well it all fits in there.
      2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake, RIP kit, & drop-in intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, Green Giants, 22 psi Hilton tune.
      2006 V70R M66 - Sonic Blue/Nordkap, 2.4 T5 motor, Snabb intake & intercooler, IPD oval exhaust, stock turbo and tune (for now).
      1966 122s - Collectible project, restoration and many mods on the way.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD - Daughter's first car. No mods unless she does 'em herself.

Made myself a 2" dimple die for panel work. A bead roller just isn't in my budget right now. The family and I have taken on a foster son so money will be tight for a while.

Very cool. You do nice work.

Coming from the perspective of a service writer from a shop that sees a lot of E30s and owns an Amazon this is inspiring.

Just been doing a bunch of boring stuff on the car lately. Tying the Volvo cowl inlet to the E30 cowl/fan area. Making sure there's water drainage. Tying the two cars together in the under dash area, seam sealing, etc. I'll post some pics when there's something cool to look at again.

I know I haven't posted much. A lot of the stuff I'm doing is boring and just getting a piece welded in here or there then seam sealed. That part is going to be slow going for a bit. Thanks to spiDmang over on an E30 board I was able to grab some bits to play with during "quiet time" (i.e. before work and after the time that it's not polite to make loud grinder/hammer noises at home). Also, since I know the two chassis' will fit together, I can start playing with the stuff I WANT to. Following the ITB DIY I read on that same E30 board I started building my own ITB set.

First I took a stock intake and cut most of the runners/plenum off

Then I flipped it and drew some 2D CAD of the head side (mostly in case I decided to make my own flange for the head

Then I did some 2D CAD of the cut side

I'm going to use GSXR600 throttle bodies since they're 38mm which is almost exactly the same size as the runner, they are seperatable (I don't think that's a word) so I can set the spacing and they're cheap. I bought two sets of four for +/- $70 total

Instead of using silicone couplers, I'm going to use o-rings around the bottoms and make a flange to weld to the leftover OEM intake. I'd like a solid mount instead of flexible couplers and I know it's best to have the throttle plate close to the valve

More 2D CAD

I like to mock up with MDF since it's cheap and machinable

I'm going to use the stock injector port for fuel

And the motorcycle port for vacuum accessory pull off rail

I found a calculator online to help determine length of runner for the velocity stacks. I think I'll use a second harmonic tuning length

I still need to mill the OE manifold part at an angle to kick the ITBs up at an angle and to hopefully even up the runner cross section from the middle (4) runners and the outer (2) and then cut some actual aluminum parts. For phase 1 I'm going to run a plenum on the stacks and keep the AFM in the chain similar to the E30 M3

Been going to work early, and getting home late these days. That plus family weekend obligations, and I haven't gotten much sheet metal work done on the chassis. I did pick up some Amazon roof skin panels to help with some transitions last weekend. I did play around a little more with the ITBs though. Everything is getting closer. Relocating the battery to the trunk as well.

Still need to make the throttle body mounts, the fuel rail mounts, the vacuum collector/chamber and blend the transitions a little.

You are a true artist. Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Adam's Amazon Wagon Project Update Thread &quot;HeadQuarters&quot;

I'm switching out the engine harness to upgrade to Motronic1.3. The factory loom gets brittle and cracks so I decided to recover it, but I wanted a vintage look. I buy a bunch of different diameter ropes because you can pull the middle out and just use the outside as loom.

First I mark the plug and take pictures of the wire positions

Then I de-pin the plug, fold the wires back on themselves (in different levels to keep the diameter small) and tape them up to pull the boots off

I get different sizes of rope in the same colorway (thanks Amazon) and cut the rope to length matching the runs of wire, pull the middle out and heat seal the ends

Then simply slide the sleeve over the wire and use real Tesa Tape at the junction like OEM

Then I tape the cut end of a ziptie in the end of the loom

Dunk the boot in soapy water and pull it over the ziptie/sleeve

I typically don't put the plugs back on until I'm completely done in case I need to change something or run them through another loom. When I'm all done I spray it with this goodness just to be sure

Sorry some of my pictures are blurry, my phone has been doing that just recently and I forget to check each pic, then I get waaaaaay past that step and it's too late to retake it

Back to the ITBs. Using the calculator from before, I know the length of runner (velocity stack) I need, but after lots of searching, they're just too expensive to buy. I'm going to make my own from composite. I started building the plug to make a mold. I went longer than the calculations called for A) because that should bring peak torque a bit lower in the RPM range and B) because I figure it's a lot easier to shorten the stacks than it would be to lengthen them. I started by drawing the stacks in CAD, cutting some chunks on the router, gluing them together, marking the final radius and sanding the half down

A while back I made myself a "Hot Work Station" that I use for vacu-forming and powdercoating. I used the old oven from my house when we remodeled, a clamp frame made of plywood, a shop vac triggered by a switch when you push the frame down and a board with vacuum channels in it

Then I heated up some ABS and vacu-formed two halves for the plug

(again with the blurry pics. Sorry)

Then I glued the two halves together and filled with casting urethane resin from TAP Plastics

I split the halves of ABS off, drilled a hole through the middle and added some threaded rod to act as a "poor man's lathe" (since I'm broke and don't have a lathe)

Then I added some filler, sanded and primered. I probably will start the mold process next week, so that's it for now

What do you do in your spare time for a living? Do you want a job?

Quote Originally Posted by dcthompson View Post
      What do you do in your spare time for a living? Do you want a job?
      I work for a company called Kymeta doing rapid prototyping and integration of satellite equipment

I am rapidly running out of superlatives to describe your work - simply outstanding and essentially unparalleled. In short, WOW!

Anyone interested in the latest in communications technology should go to the Kymeta website. Some pretty amazing (almost unbelievable) new capabilities. I wish I could buy just a little bit of stock.

Adam's Amazon Wagon Project Update Thread &quot;HeadQuarters&quot;

Quote Originally Posted by dcthompson View Post
      Anyone interested in the latest in communications technology should go to the Kymeta website. Some pretty amazing (almost unbelievable) new capabilities. I wish I could buy just a little bit of stock.
      It is pretty unbelievable. To the end I've built out two vehicles that have traveled thousands of miles zig zagging across the country going to some partners, some competitors and some colleges to demonstrate the tech. People always start as skeptics, but are converted quickly.

When the 4Runner left the shop on the first tour

When it returned

Toyota had me build a demo Mirai (hydrogen car) for the Detroit Auto Show a couple years back. Lots of fun working on a pre-production car.

Honeycomb carbon is pretty awesome looking
      Last edited by Adam.Nonis; 08-23-2017 at 12:13 AM.

Still doing boring stuff. Got the fuel filler completely modded, painted and in place. Been working on filler panels still. You can make some decent filler panels with just a few tools from Harbor Freight.

Also powder coated the ITBs chrome with a copper candy topcoat (it just looks orange LOL).

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast