Activity / sport key
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Activity / sport key

Just wondering how many xc90 owners have used or regularly use their activity key instead of their regular key fob.

I find it very useful for when I go running or participating in any physical activity where I have to carry my keys with me. I may even carry it full time instead of my regular fob.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'll be using mine when going skiing, or other times when the normal key could be damaged. Its pretty cool that Volvo offers the sport key at no additional cost.
      2018 XC90 T5 AWD R-Design | Onyx Black | B&W | 22" Wheels | Carbon Inlays | Convenience | Polestar | CeramicPro 9H | OSD Pickup Sept 2017

Activity / sport key

Have a v9cCC and use mine as regular key. The regular one is too large/heavy. Plus I’ve use the IPhone app. Great quickly to find the car etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I only use the activity key. I don't see a point carrying around the larger fob.

I only use the sport key fob. Added a polestar blue tie to help keep track of it.

I have been tempted to use it exclusively as well. Need to find the ideal size for a key ring to attach to it, as I do need to keep a single key on it at the moment. I use it when we go to the pool and will for kayaking and the beach and so forth this summer. Really awesome thing to have. Saves me from having to stuff the larger key in a waterproof pouch. In fact, now that my iPhone and watch are water proof/resistant, I likely won't need that thing anymore aside from maybe cash and credit cards, which are much less annoying to put in and out of the pouch.

The sport key is a nice thing to have. Will there be a warning on the dash when the battery gets weak. I see you cannot replace the battery, but need to purchase a new key from Volvo. Don't know the cost or how long the battery will last.
      2006 XC70 (traded for XC60)
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD (traded for XC90)
      2018 XC90 T6 Momentum + Maple Brown metallic/amber leather, air suspension, (picked up at dealer 6/22/17)
      Added Polestar 10/26/17

Activity / sport key

I've always wanted to drill a hole in the detachable key inside the fob so i can put it on a keychain or secure it to the ring on my swim trunks for when i'm in the water. Has anyone tried this ?

http://support.volvocars.com/uk/cars...a801515a4bd721

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Stevey; 07-06-2017 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VxF View Post
      I only use the activity key. I don't see a point carrying around the larger fob.
      Ditto

”Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.”

I was only carrying around the activity key, but then I got worried "what if the battery dies?" Then there's no way to get into the car when On Call shows up.

I switched to the normal key and then tried going back, but I missed the remote features (open the tailgate, unlock the door so my wife can grab something she forgot without me having to walk all the way back to the car, etc.).

I'm sure I'll try switching again, and it will probably be sooner rather than later after seeing this thread.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

my wife carries the large key in her purse so its available when we are together. We may be unique in that we work together and the XC is our business vehicle.... will the car not unlock if the batter is dead? most of the time the battery is not completely dead, is it? Won't it have enough juice to unlock the doors?

I use mine 3 times a week at least to go surfing. Fits in my wetsuit great!

Isn't it a battery-less RFID chip sort of thing?

I didn't even think about the battery. That's a bit of a concern. I wonder if the dealer is able to change the battery.

Anyone know the cost on a new key if it has to be replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by XC90Excellence View Post
      I didn't even think about the battery. That's a bit of a concern. I wonder if the dealer is able to change the battery.

Anyone know the cost on a new key if it has to be replaced?
      The user manual says the battery is not user replaceable. Whether it could be done or not is another question.

I believe a replacement is $250-300 for the sport key.
      1996 850 GLT, 2003 V70 T5M (sold to ScottishBrick), 2007 XC90 V8, 2017 XC90 T6 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by stevenweyne View Post
      Isn't it a battery-less RFID chip sort of thing?
      It seems to have a non-replaceable battery according to the owner's manual. I, too, thought it would just be an RFID tag but maybe there's something more to the security that precludes using an un-powered key.

Is the life of the battery determined by the number of times you open the door or by how old it is? This could change my mind if I have to buy a new one every 6 months or a year or so.....

Quote Originally Posted by VxF View Post
      +1
      2016 T8 Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by JakeT5 View Post
      I believe a replacement is $250-300 for the sport key.
      2016 T8 Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      I missed the remote features (open the tailgate, unlock the door so my wife can grab something she forgot without me having to walk all the way back to the car, etc.).
      Hands key to wife, crosses arms and starts tapping foot.... :exit:
      2016 T8 Polestar

I wasn't talking about the key battery, guys. I was talking about the car battery.

If you have the regular key and the battery dies, you can open it up and remove the blade to gain access to the vehicle, pop the hood, and get a jump start or a tow.

If you have the activity key and the battery dies... you're going to need to get your hands on the regular key before you can get a jump start or a safe tow, I think.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      I wasn't talking about the key battery, guys. I was talking about the car battery.

If you have the regular key and the battery dies, you can open it up and remove the blade to gain access to the vehicle, pop the hood, and get a jump start or a tow.

If you have the activity key and the battery dies... you're going to need to get your hands on the regular key before you can get a jump start or a safe tow, I think.
      I, for one, got that and its why I asked about how dead the car battery would have to be to not even allow you to unlock the doors.....but that then spawned the whole issue about the cost of using the non-renewable sport fob, and ancillary issue.

Rarely has my battery been so dead that there was not enough power to offer light duty.....

Yeah, it would have to be just about dead dead to not be able to open the doors. It can happen and I'm paranoid, though.

Remember that the key fob or the sport key is always on in that a RF signal is being transmitted to the vehicle, which will detect the signal when it comes within range. The regular key fob uses a 2032 3 volt battery, and is easy to change if it should ever need to be done. I figured a replacement sport key would not be cheap. Too bad the battery cannot be replaced. Now the battery in the sport key is much smaller and thus has less capacity than a full size 2032 battery. I would think that the battery in the sport key would not last as long as long as the battery in the regular key fob. In spite of this it is a great feature. My only complaint would be a replaceable battery is not available.
      2006 XC70 (traded for XC60)
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD (traded for XC90)
      2018 XC90 T6 Momentum + Maple Brown metallic/amber leather, air suspension, (picked up at dealer 6/22/17)
      Added Polestar 10/26/17

I used it for a couple of months until I got tired of its limited range (I had to get my leg close to the car to detect the key, if the phone or the wallet was in front of the key it was never detected...). Then I dropped the car to have it updated and they said it could not be done without the normal key.

I find when i use mine I have to almost have it in my hand when unlocking the door .. maybe the battery is getting weak in it.?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey View Post
      I've always wanted to drill a hole in the detachable key inside the fob so i can put it on a keychain or secure it to the ring on my swim trunks for when i'm in the water. Has anyone tried this ?

http://support.volvocars.com/uk/cars...a801515a4bd721

Rather than possibly damage the original key blade by drilling it, why not get one of these and have a copy of the original blade cut?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magnalium-...kAAOSw5cNYVSYM

It has a hole for attaching a key ring and one of the pictures shows it attached to the key tag which seems a very good arrangement to ensure you can always get into the car.

Is anyone elses original fob showing really bad wear like mine is? Every edge is loosing the chrome and the areas under the key ring are worn down in less than one year and gentle care. This thing is not very sturdy.
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

Linear wood case added in July last year. This is the main key we use - has held up great - 19,000 miles in 15 months - GLS and RRS only have 7000 and 5000
      just some cars...but for this forum:
      2016 Onyx Black Metallic XC90 T6 Inscription w/Amber
      Convenience, Vision, B&W, 4C Air, Climate, Center Booster, Protection Package
      Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner, iPad RSE

I might move to the sport key as well...

Can you still store a driver profile to the sport key?
      V I L M A
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum+ [4/16 Build - Delivered Sep 2016]
      Onyx Black & Amber
      Polestar✦ | 20"s | Convenience | Vision | Climate w/ HUD | Bowers&Wilkins | Towing Pkg | Booster | Protection Plus | Apple CarPlay | Pilot Assist 2 | IntelliSafe Support Upgrade

My salesman looked into the supposed battery life and was told “7 to 8 year life with every day use, around $300 to replace after programming”. But even he then offered his opinion that “Also discovered it has to be ordered from Sweden as it's keyed to the vin #, keep in mind no one has used one for 7 or 8 years yet because they haven't been out that long! I know normal remote batteries last about 4/5 yrs so I'd be pleasantly surprised if it lasted longer than that...” . Even 4-5 years would be fine imo.

Quote Originally Posted by eyeloveteeth View Post

Linear wood case added in July last year. This is the main key we use - has held up great - 19,000 miles in 15 months - GLS and RRS only have 7000 and 5000
      Make it one side leather and one side wood like phillipu has.

I don't really use the sports key as I just prefer using the regular key.

Quote Originally Posted by gsb4522 View Post
      Now the battery in the sport key is much smaller and thus has less capacity than a full size 2032 battery. I would think that the battery in the sport key would not last as long as long as the battery in the regular key fob. In spite of this it is a great feature. My only complaint would be a replaceable battery is not available.
      It may have less capacity, but remember that the full size remote has buttons and pressing those buttons creates a considerably higher drain on the battery because it then sends a longer range signal using drastically more power.

The activity key (aka Key Tag in my manual) may actually last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by gmoney View Post
      Can you still store a driver profile to the sport key?
      Yes.

Drill a very small hole in the metal backup key and you are done. No longer do you need the bulky remote control. Who uses the remote anyways?

Disgruntled Volvo Technician & Owner.

DO NOT PM me with your car questions.

DO NOT GO INTO THE CAR BUSINESS.

Quote Originally Posted by gunshow View Post
      Who uses the remote anyways?
      If the tailgate isn't already open when I arrive at my vehicle as I'm leaving Costco, this is an outrage.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast