Activity / sport key - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Quote Originally Posted by infinkc View Post

My dealer has told me not to bring the sports key, they said they couldn’t do certain things with it. Not sure how true it is, but have been told multiple times now as I only use the sports key daily.
      I don’t think that is true since my dealer has performed full updates and even replaced/reprogrammed modules with it. Maybe they don’t like it since they are unable to use a remote to assist in finding the cars on the lot.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cello8619 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by infinkc View Post

My dealer has told me not to bring the sports key, they said they couldn’t do certain things with it. Not sure how true it is, but have been told multiple times now as I only use the sports key daily.
      I don’t think that is true since my dealer has performed full updates and even replaced/reprogrammed modules with it. Maybe they don’t like it since they are unable to use a remote to assist in finding the cars on the lot.
      Never had a problem with the sport key. In fact on our recent vacation we unintentionally only had the sport key. My wife uses the regular key and I use the sport key. She left her key at home on or 3000 mile vacation. I would have preferred having both keys on vacation just in case something happened to our primary key. The dealer was able to service the car with only the sport key.

Quote Originally Posted by Cello8619 View Post
      My guess is this exactly. Give them the sport key and they have to actually look at the service order and read what color and type of car they've got. Maybe even look at the plates. Give them the regular fob, and they just go towards the car with the flashing lights. Since it's usually the minimum wage lot boy who's bringing in the car, thinking is hard.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by VTbuckeye View Post
      Never had a problem with the sport key. In fact on our recent vacation we unintentionally only had the sport key. My wife uses the regular key and I use the sport key. She left her key at home on or 3000 mile vacation. I would have preferred having both keys on vacation just in case something happened to our primary key. The dealer was able to service the car with only the sport key.
      Just as an FYI, there are certain problems that come up that require you use the remote to lock and unlock the doors to solve; for example, the gas tank cover not opening. My point is that while I always use the sport key I make sure my wife has her full remote for that reason. When I travel without my wife I take the large remote.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      ”Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.”

Sport key is so small I promptly lost mine...

I’ve been using the Sport Key exclusively since getting the car less than two months ago. It has now gone missing. I have no idea where I placed it. We also suspect our 1 year old son who’s now walking may have picked it up from the nightstand without us knowing.

Quote Originally Posted by gsb4522 View Post
      The sport key is a nice thing to have. Will there be a warning on the dash when the battery gets weak. I see you cannot replace the battery, but need to purchase a new key from Volvo. Don't know the cost or how long the battery will last.
      I have been using the sport key exclusively for the past six months or so. I finally got the battery warning this afternoon. We picked up the XC90 during an OSD in June 2016. It sat unused for 18 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      __________________________________________________ ____________

Hooligan of Volvo
      '19 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription; Pine Gray; Maroon Brown Leather; Pole*
      '16 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription; Ember Black; Charcoal Leather; Pole*

...Will there be a warning on the dash when the battery gets weak. ...Don't know the cost or how long the battery will last.
      Warning ‘key battery is low’ appeared on my dash. I’d already noticed that keyless entry wasn’t working very well.

Key lasted 28 months of nearly daily use before warning. It still works.

I told my Swiss dealer about warning. At first they thought it was batteryless. I said nothing. When I collected my car they told me they’d ordered a new key under the warranty.
      2016 T8 Polestar

Crap. Now I have to start using mine every day and hoping the battery dies and gets replaced under warranty before warranty runs out.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

New sport key arrived under warranty replacement but had to handover old sport key to return to Volvo. Fine by me.
      2016 T8 Polestar

I typically use the regular fob but often have the sport key with me as well. Any theories out there on whether or not this affects the battery life of the sport key? I wondered if the key is "on" (draining its battery) more when you are in/near the car versus having it sit at home.

The sport key is a nice thing to have. Will there be a warning on the dash when the battery gets weak. I see you cannot replace the battery, but need to purchase a new key from Volvo. Don't know the cost or how long the battery will last.
      Warranty Doc:
      https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/man...non-hybrid.pdf
      p31:

A: Remote keyless entry ... battereries are covered for 4 year / 50000 miles / 80000 km

Quote Originally Posted by Obnic View Post
      New sport key arrived under warranty replacement but had to handover old sport key to return to Volvo. Fine by me.
      What did you have to say to the dealer to get the replacement? My dealer says the sports key
      Replacement is not covered under warranty.

Just covered mine in leather and added a pin badge logo. Would have like to get a current logo but cant find one.

Much prefer this small key. When the battery goes I will replace it myself and re-cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Tjlogins View Post
      What did you have to say to the dealer to get the replacement? My dealer says the sports key
      Replacement is not covered under warranty.
      I'm sorry no one ever responded to this individual. If anything like this ever happens to you, contact Volvo Customer Care through the Volvo Cars website.

For the record, mine was replaced at 30,000 mile service. I noticed around April 2019 that it had stopped working. No low battery warning or anything, just not working anymore.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

The smart key is covered under the 4 year warranty for key batteries. I just told the dealer that it stopped working. They tested and confirmed and issued me a new one without any questions.

Mine is covered under a 4 year / 50k warranty. All I did was ask about a replacement.

Hooligan of Volvo

My CPO XC90 sport key was also covered under 4 year / 50k warranty when I mentioned that it is not working unless I am taking the key out and holding right next to the door.
      Our first Volvo - Optimus Prime - 2016 XC90 T6 Momentum Onyx Black, HUD, Momentum+, Convenience, Vision, Climate, Pilot Assist II + Mitigation Upgrades + May 2019 Update

My Fuel Log for real life Optimus Prime fuel efficiency - http://www.fuelly.com/car/volvo/xc90...wdarygm/910536

Quote Originally Posted by chowdarygm View Post
      My CPO XC90 sport key was also covered under 4 year / 50k warranty when I mentioned that it is not working unless I am taking the key out and holding right next to the door.
      Eventually it won't let you unlock and placing it in the cupholder will not start. Don't get stranded!

Hooligan of Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by n a m View Post
      Eventually it won't let you unlock and placing it in the cupholder will not start. Don't get stranded!
      I took it to dealership and they changed it to a new one under warranty

Sent from my Aura Glow Note 10+ using Tapatalk
      Our first Volvo - Optimus Prime - 2016 XC90 T6 Momentum Onyx Black, HUD, Momentum+, Convenience, Vision, Climate, Pilot Assist II + Mitigation Upgrades + May 2019 Update

My Fuel Log for real life Optimus Prime fuel efficiency - http://www.fuelly.com/car/volvo/xc90...wdarygm/910536

I wonder if I buy and program at the dealer what would be a warranty?
      06 V70R Sonicap
      surf/skate/snow/smile-mobile
      16 XC90 fam-mobile

Do you mean if you buy an additional key? That's an interesting question, because the lifetime parts & labor warranty excludes batteries for keyless entry but not the keyless entry remotes.

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answer...labor-warranty

I imagine if the battery died, not covered. If it stopped working suddenly and unexpectedly it might be covered?

Not additional as I don’t have one. Just want to get such key for all sport activities , j would guess ot would be standard 1 year warranty ...

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      Do you mean if you buy an additional key? That's an interesting question, because the lifetime parts & labor warranty excludes batteries for keyless entry but not the keyless entry remotes.

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answer...labor-warranty

I imagine if the battery died, not covered. If it stopped working suddenly and unexpectedly it might be covered?
      06 V70R Sonicap
      surf/skate/snow/smile-mobile
      16 XC90 fam-mobile

Here's the deal as I understand from reading the brochures in prep for taking delivery of my XC60 in January:

• The two base FOBs are covered if they break under normal warranty. Just as with any other mfgr I've dealt with, the customer must replace the FOB battery if it gos out as a consumable item no different than wiper blades.
      • It's not stated this straight-forwardly anywhere, but I am left with the impression the Volvo Button-less FOB, once the battery dies is a customer problem -- IOW it can't then be used to open the doors, but if the doors were already open, could be used for just ignition start by placing it with it's dead battery in the cup-holder to start the car. (That's why at least the 2020 T8 owner's manual says something about turning in a dead Button-less FOB so it can be deleted from the car.) "Officially" a customer or Volvo can't replace a battery in the Button-less FOB and maintain factory water protection once the battery dies, so that means you get to buy another Button-less FOB if you want one. Of course, it does not stop an enterprising owner to break the Button-less FOB open, replace the battery themselves, and take their chances with water protection if that's important to them or not.
      • IF you buy the optional Volvo Wear Protection Plan, it comes with a "Membership in Driver's Onecard" which includes 1 key replacement/year up to $400 -- and it appears to me from posts above Volvo is likely replacing the Button-less FOB as part of that additional service the customer paid for.
      • IF you buy the optional Volvo Prepaid Maintenance Plan, you can optionally add that same "Membership in Driver's Onecard" with the key replacement as above. Individuals would have to read their contract terms what they did or didn't sign-up for with that optional coverage.
      • FWIW, I don't see any mention of that same "Membership in Driver's Onecard" with the optional Volvo Service Contracts, aka "Extended Warranties"

I think part of the continued confusion why some people are getting replacements and others are not may be because of base warranty, and then if they have this "Membership in Driver's Onecard" feature in an optional service plan they may have -- and perhaps don't even realize the key part is something they purchased.
      Bert

On-order: '20 XC60 T8 Inscription, Polestar Optimized - Est 01-2020 Delivery
      Past: '15 Tesla S90D; '13 RX450h; '14 SLK250; '06 RX400h; '09 335i; '02 SC430; '99 RX300; '95 SC300; '91 Legend...

I don't know about your incoming XC60, but the warranty for my 2016 XC90 clearly states on pages 36-37 that the keyless entry remotes are covered for 4 years/50,000 miles.

https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/man...-Manual-v3.pdf

I did not purchase any additional maintenance plan to receive my replacement activity key. I simply presented it to the dealer, and they issued me a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by chipmunkchan View Post
      I don't know about your incoming XC60, but the warranty for my 2016 XC90 clearly states on pages 36-37 that the keyless entry remotes are covered for 4 years/50,000 miles.

https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/man...-Manual-v3.pdf

I did not purchase any additional maintenance plan to receive my replacement activity key. I simply presented it to the dealer, and they issued me a new one.
      Great news.
      Bert

Past: '15 Tesla S90D; '13 RX450h; '14 SLK250; '06 RX400h; '09 335i; '02 SC430; '99 RX300; '95 SC300; '91 Legend...

FWIW, I knew I'd come away with the impression from somewhere that Volvo policy was once the sport key battery died, you had to buy another sport key (unless you have the extended warranty I referenced above that would replace it all together.). In reviewing a different FAQ, I just happened upon the statement I'd read here: https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answe...odel/XC60%20T8. "Note: Since it is a closed unit, the battery cannot be replaced. The replacement Key tag will need to be purchased directly from your authorized Volvo Dealer once the battery no longer functions."

At least I wasn't hallucinating. I'm glad though some owners have been getting free replacements as part of warranty, despite this official FAQ that clearly states otherwise.
      Bert

By the way, the reason your dealer wants you to bring the full key is probably because it's easier to keep track of and your car is easier to find with the horn / lights / remote sounds. You don't get these with the sport key.

Quote Originally Posted by chipmunkchan View Post

Same.

Hooligan of Volvo

31. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3