Activity / sport key - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      I use mine as a necklace everyday, this way I dont lose it!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Does phone app work without a key. If thatís the case itís one less thing to remember/not loose. Problem with phone app is itís very slow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just leave the sport key hanging a few feet from the car in the garage.

I lock the car in the garage as you always need to "unlock" to remove the charging cable (T8).

I'm always running back to the car to get things and this way a key is always handy.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I too use the sport key due to its size and convenient. It's always funny though when I hand the key to valet guys and they just have a bewildered look on their faces like "what the hell is this?" Haha. I then tell them to touch the door handle lock the car after they park it and they NEVER do. I always do it through VOC. I do love the compliments I get afterwards though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      06 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro | JHM tuned |
      17 XC90 T8 R-Design | Crystal White | Vision | Climate | Convenience | 4C Air Suspension |

Quote Originally Posted by TIV70R View Post
      Does phone app work without a key. If thatís the case itís one less thing to remember/not loose. Problem with phone app is itís very slow.
      There was supposed to be an option to do this. Not sure what happened to that.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

Figured I'd revamp this thread. I have been using the tag/sport key since we get the car on 2016. Its my wifes car so I leave the tag key on my key chain. The battery today officially died. SO I got roughly 2 years out of it. Wondering if anyone else is starting to die or has already.

Quote Originally Posted by PAxc90 View Post
      I only use the sport key fob. Added a polestar blue tie to help keep track of it.
      Where did you find/what is that lanyard. I have a neck one but feel like for most use it's too long. I'd love a shorter one like this. I too prefer the sport key for most of my daily use. My only worry is it'll end up going through the wash but from how it's a sealed unit that shouldn't be a big deal
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Our first: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      There was supposed to be an option to do this. Not sure what happened to that.
      Would be cool if your iPhone could be enabled to be a full alternative to the key. I think when the idea was first floated it was demoed with Micrsosoft Band2. It'd be great if the effort pushed on to more mainstream devices like iPhone and Apple Watch.
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Our first: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

The range doesn't seem to be great. The regular key opens on first touch of the handle every time, where the sport key sometimes takes a couple tries. Regardless, nice feature for when skiing, boating, etc. Otherwise I don't use it much. No house keys or anything so just the regular fob in my pocket isn't bad. On a funny note, when I asked the salesperson about it when I picked up the car he told me it charged via motion. I looked online after that though as a few things he said were not exactly on point. I made sense for a bit though, as my Rover keys charged via just walking around.
      2017 Volvo XC90 T8: Bursting Blue / Charcoal with Vision, Climate/HUD, Convenience, Booster and Protection
      2015 VW GTi SE 4-door: Deep Black Pearl / Black with 6MT, Performance and Lighting
      2012 BMW X5 35d: Alpine White / Cinnamon with M-Sport, Tech, Luxury, Convenience, 3rd row

Quote Originally Posted by thavngr98 View Post
      Figured I'd revamp this thread. I have been using the tag/sport key since we get the car on 2016. Its my wifes car so I leave the tag key on my key chain. The battery today officially died. SO I got roughly 2 years out of it. Wondering if anyone else is starting to die or has already.
      My salesman told me that when he asked Volvo about battery life for me he was told 7-8 years. Since its only been 2 years I would ask for a free warranty replacement....
      ĒAdventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.Ē

How does the sport key know which driver profile to load?
      "Electra" ~ 2018 XC90 T8 R-Design Bursting Blue ~ Driver's Log ~ Gallery
      Gone but not forgotten: "The Beast" GMC Yukon XL Denali ~ "The STI, aka Dexter" Subaru Impreza WRX STI ~ "Dixie" VW Passat GLX

Quote Originally Posted by SG1 View Post
      How does the sport key know which driver profile to load?
      You set it up with its own profile.
      ĒAdventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by chillg8r View Post
      My salesman told me that when he asked Volvo about battery life for me he was told 7-8 years. Since its only been 2 years I would ask for a free warranty replacement....
      Ill give that a try.

Mine is a year old and it's dying. It works only if I stay VERY close to the car, which I think means the batteries are weak.

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoUhu View Post
      Would be cool if your iPhone could be enabled to be a full alternative to the key. I think when the idea was first floated it was demoed with Micrsosoft Band2. It'd be great if the effort pushed on to more mainstream devices like iPhone and Apple Watch.
      I think Volvo showed some videos of the new XC40 doing this, but I haven't seen that demo'd in any of the reviews. I think it worked through Volvo-on-Call, and was advertised as being capable of "sharing" the key through the phone so your friend or family member could borrow your car if you shared the key to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZUDHytwt3s
      https://incardelivery.volvocars.com/#/

It should be easy to extend it to a permanent digital key in your smartphone.

Quote Originally Posted by amiller89 View Post
      I'll be using mine when going skiing, or other times when the normal key could be damaged. Its pretty cool that Volvo offers the sport key at no additional cost.
      So is this in exchange for a regular key when you purchase it? Or can you get one at no cost?

Quote Originally Posted by bearcat2000 View Post
      So is this in exchange for a regular key when you purchase it? Or can you get one at no cost?
      It supposed to come with the car when you purchase is: 2 regular keys plus 1 sport key.

My salesperson said the battery life was maybe about 2-4 years.
      "Electra" ~ 2018 XC90 T8 R-Design Bursting Blue ~ Driver's Log ~ Gallery
      Gone but not forgotten: "The Beast" GMC Yukon XL Denali ~ "The STI, aka Dexter" Subaru Impreza WRX STI ~ "Dixie" VW Passat GLX

Quote Originally Posted by amd2800barton View Post
      I think Volvo showed some videos of the new XC40 doing this, but I haven't seen that demo'd in any of the reviews. I think it worked through Volvo-on-Call, and was advertised as being capable of "sharing" the key through the phone so your friend or family member could borrow your car if you shared the key to them.
      Oh true! They've conceived the XC40 as the car you can loan to friends... it takes the key concept a step further much like August for home door locks. That you can issue keys to friends/family and let them use your car or access to the house remotely without having to share a physical key. When will this update be pushed out to XC90 . I'd love to ditch my key all together. With Apple Pay I've already been able to ditch my wallet. Just keep it in car to have ID handy, I already rarely need my wallet and love the tiny key for our new XC90.
      --

You can unlock your car via VOC and your phone. I have never heard of being able to START it without a key, though.
      Am I wrong?
      2018 XC60 Momentum T5, Denim Blue/Blonde, Convenience/Vision/Advanced/Nav Pro/Heated Seats/Protection Premiere/ 20" wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by avanti1 View Post
      You can unlock your car via VOC and your phone. I have never heard of being able to START it without a key, though.
      Am I wrong?
      There is remote start in the app. But you won't be able to drive off without the key.

25000km in 18 months and never taken the two big keys out of the box. I plan on hacking open the sport key when it dies and seeing whether I can replace the battery after all. It fits perfectly in the tiny pocket of most trousers and I forget it's even there.

Quote Originally Posted by tillsbury View Post
      25000km in 18 months and never taken the two big keys out of the box. I plan on hacking open the sport key when it dies and seeing whether I can replace the battery after all. It fits perfectly in the tiny pocket of most trousers and I forget it's even there.
      Keep us posted what you discover!!!
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4/2012) Ember Black/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

2016 XC90 T6 (OSD 5/2016) Crystal White Pearl/Amber/Black l Momentum Plus,Vision,Convenience l 20" Alloy wheels/Wood steering wheel/Child booster seat/Black headliner/PA II

Quote Originally Posted by tillsbury View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by GregK View Post
      Keep us posted what you discover!!!
      It has already been discovered that the sport key fob uses a fairly common button cell battery. Unfortunately, the case is not designed to be opened so attempts to do so will result in significant damage and the battery is soldered to the PCB, so some skill is needed to remove it. Technically, the battery used is one that comes with pre-soldered contacts but using one without those is probably possible if you don't want to special order one with them.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
      There is remote start in the app. But you won't be able to drive off without the key.
      They've demonstrated driving without a key, using just your phone on the XC40. No idea if there's additional hardware in in the XC40 car not present in SPA cars (XC60/90, V60/90, S90.

It seems to me a smart idea would be to have battery access points exposed (say underneath front grill). Then power could be applied to let any of the keys open it.

And speaking of the sport key.
      I work with a guy with a Subaru and they have this cool system I wish Volvo would copy.
      You can set a code to open the car and just leave your keys in it.
      To enter the code you use the button for opening the tail, pulsing her numbers in the code.
      A bit slow but if you don’t want to risk losing any keys that’s really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Slartibartphast View Post
      And speaking of the sport key.
      I work with a guy with a Subaru and they have this cool system I wish Volvo would copy.
      You can set a code to open the car and just leave your keys in it.
      To enter the code you use the button for opening the tail, pulsing her numbers in the code.
      A bit slow but if you donít want to risk losing any keys thatís really cool.
      Similar to keypads from Ford. But with these systems, you leave the key inside the car. so, anyone can start the car and drive away, if somehow can enter the car.

Hi all,
      Wish I took more pics, but it is possible to replace the battery, except you loose the waterproof feature. My son preyed open and replaced the battery. It is spot welded and need to cut and replace the connectors. I have been using the key all the time and the vehicle did give me a low battery warning and died slowly!

50075408-BC06-4920-BDE0-C00E7F6D959D.jpeg

Attachment 33154
      T6 Inscription OSD July 2015.

Leave sport key in car

I leave the sport key in the car. If the key is left in the car, it disables itself when the doors are locked and the car isn't running. That way, I dont have to carry a key at all, I just use the VOC to lock and unlock it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
      Hi all,
      Wish I took more pics, but it is possible to replace the battery, except you loose the waterproof feature. My son preyed open and replaced the battery. It is spot welded and need to cut and replace the connectors. I have been using the key all the time and the vehicle did give me a low battery warning and died slowly!
      Were you able to put the case (mostly) back together after replacing the battery? Any advice as to where you started prying it open?

Quote Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
      Hi all,

50075408-BC06-4920-BDE0-C00E7F6D959D.jpeg

Attachment 33154
      Wow, it's just a common CR2032! Available at all drug stores.

Quote Originally Posted by amd2800barton View Post
      Were you able to put the case (mostly) back together after replacing the battery? Any advice as to where you started prying it open?
      Somewhere online I saw pics, there's no easy way around it. Basically just cut the case around the edges while doing minimal damage, but don't expect it to be pretty.

I see a couple ways:
      [1] Heat it up with a hair dryer or heat gun, then force open using a screw driver or something
      [2] Heat up an exacto knife or take the blade from a utility knife and heat it up. Then cut/melt your way through the sides.

Either way, glue shut when done with something like "Goop":
      https://www.amazon.com/Amazing-GOOP-.../dp/B0000A605I

Should be waterproof if that feature is even needed. And should be easier to take apart next time ;-) JB Weld would look better but would be a PITA to take apart later.
      2018 Onyx Black T6 Momentum: Amber, 20" wheels

I used mine maybe twice a year. Now after 3 years the sport key does not respond anymore.

It’s also awesome to give to dealer during service visits, especially if you have the leather key fob so it won’t get scratched or oily.

Quote Originally Posted by Cello8619 View Post
      Itís also awesome to give to dealer during service visits, especially if you have the leather key fob so it wonít get scratched or oily.

My dealer has told me not to bring the sports key, they said they couldnít do certain things with it. Not sure how true it is, but have been told multiple times now as I only use the sports key daily.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast