No A/C when parked or stopped - how to fix
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

No A/C when parked or stopped - how to fix

I have a 2018 T6 inscription and notice that when I park my vehicle with the engine still running or when stopped at a light, the fan blows but the a/c compressor does not seem to stay on until I get moving again. I would like to know if anyone has found a solution for this.

I left my family in the car with the keys for a few minutes and after I got back they were complaining that the temperature was too high and that it did not seem like the air conditioning was working.

I also browsed through the settings and saw an option for Keep Climate Comfort, but it was greyed out and don't know how to activate it or if this would even fix my problem.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I heard reports that the AC would kick off when the engine switches off if you have start/stop enabled. Supposedly, disabling it should fix it. I had a similar problem on an Discovery Sport... every time I stopped at a light, engine would turn off and AC would go with it. But you say "engine still running"-if that's correct, I am at a loss.

If you have the climate and or drive mode set to "eco" it will not run the AC compressor all the time. I drive my T6 in "comfort" drove mode with the start/stop disabled and the AC blows cold while stopped, red light, sitting in a parking lot answering emails, etc.
      18 XC60 T6 Inscription- everything except lux seating
      12 VW Eos Executive
      Past Volvo’s: 2016 V60 T5 Platinum FWD, 2016 XC90 T6 Inscription

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Oh ok, maybe I couldn't hear if the engine actually shut off since the car is so quiet to begin with. I will try to pay attention to this and also test disabling the engine start/stop.

Is this also the reason why the parking climate keep option is greyed out?

Like most ICE-powered cars, some components of the climate system are powered by a belt connected to the engine instead of drawing power from the 12v. If the engine stops, those components stop. Already cooled air can continue to be circulated and you may not even notice.

The Parking Climate feature is designed to keep cool or warm air circulating for several minutes after the vehicle has been turned off. It is not available if the vehicle is turned on even if the engine has temporarily stopped as part of the start/stop feature.

At least that is my understanding of these features.

You should not need to disable start/stop. If start/stop is enabled and has turned your car off at a stoplight, when the temp in the car falls below your desired temp setting, the car will restart automatically to get the a/c going again. At least that's what happens in my car (usually during my slow commute home along the road that travels due west into the sun).

Per the manual of a 2016:
      The engine auto-starts while the brake pedal is depressed
      In the following situations, the engine will autostart even though the brake pedal is depressed:
      • condensation forms on the inside of the windows.
      • the climate system cannot keep the desired settings in the passenger compartment.
      • electrical current consumption is temporarily high or the main battery's charge is below the minimum level.
      • the brake pedal is pumped repeatedly.
      • the hood is opened.
      • the vehicle begins to move or increases speed slightly (if the engine auto-stopped before the vehicle was at a standstill).
      • the driver's seat belt is unbuckled while the gear selector is in the D or N positions.
      • the gear selector is moved from D to R or ±.
      • the driver's door is opened with the gear selector in D: an audible signal and a text message will inform the driver that the ignition is on.
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum+ | Vision Package | Polestar | Crystal White Metallic/Charcoal interior (light beige headliner) - first Volvo and loving it!
      3M Driver/Passenger tint, clear paint protection film (full hood + front), Weather Tech mats (all 3 rows), OEM: 3 piece cargo tray, tow hitch, rear bumper strip, mud flaps, low profile roof rack

Quote Originally Posted by hou8182 View Post
      Oh ok, maybe I couldn't hear if the engine actually shut off since the car is so quiet to begin with. I will try to pay attention to this and also test disabling the engine start/stop.

Is this also the reason why the parking climate keep option is greyed out?
      Just look at the tach
      Hers - 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription via OSD His - 2016 MB C300 Sport 4matic
      Just for fun - 2001 Honda S2000 - also hers

I've had this happen when I don't disable the start-stop. If it's hot outside it quickly heats up in the car.

Strange LS, is eco mode engaged? I would visit the dealer to inquire.

Did you leave the family in the car with the engine on or off? It turns off if you open the door (there is a combo with the seat belt and the gear lever to avoid this), and then the AC doesn't work. If the engine was on and the start/stop was working, the engine turns on again if the temperature raises.

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements