SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Peeling metal on steering wheel

14K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  qtilidi03 
#1 ·
I know this is a common issue, but the metal trim on the steering wheel is peeling on the bottom and has cut our hands. I heard that the dealer with replace the "metal" piece for free since there was a bad batch of metal that caused peeling; is this true? The car is a 2012 S60 T5 with no warranty.

#2 ·
I have seen this issue discussed and I think it's worth asking your dealer. Make sure to reference the bad batch to support your request for goodwill assistance!

#5 ·
Depending on your relationship with your dealer, they may replace it under Goodwill. Or as marvinmartian said, shave it off with a razor.

#6 ·
Had the same issue with same model year. My car was WAY out of warranty (around 140,000 miles). I opened a case with my dealership and Volvo NA, and it was replaced it for free.

#8 ·
If your talking about this piece (#3) it's $45 and easy to replace by removing the airbag. I'm having the same issue on my '10 S80.

#9 ·
Pretty sure they will replace for free as it is a safety defect. Many have been cut by the peeling metal, including myself.

Note, I did not opt for the replacement. Getting cut once was enough for me to know to steer clear of the back sides of this piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Had mine replaced for free. Recently I noticed the bottom edge of the silver part on the siding door in the center console is doing the same thing. If I ever get cut by it I'll just take a razor blade to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.