Peeling metal on steering wheel
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Peeling metal on steering wheel

I know this is a common issue, but the metal trim on the steering wheel is peeling on the bottom and has cut our hands. I heard that the dealer with replace the "metal" piece for free since there was a bad batch of metal that caused peeling; is this true? The car is a 2012 S60 T5 with no warranty.
      2016 XC60 T5 (41k)- Parents

2012 S60 T5 (105k)- Sister

2011 XC60 3.2 (180k)- Mine

Past: 2007 XC70, 2006 S60, 2005 XC70

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have seen this issue discussed and I think it's worth asking your dealer. Make sure to reference the bad batch to support your request for goodwill assistance!
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

+1. I had it replaced early on and never had a problem since.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I carefully peeled off the nearby loose metal and cut it flush with a razor, then painted it over the area (carefully) with some silver rim touch up paint. Seems to have solved the problem for me at least for now. Looks ok too.
      Caspian Blue Metallic 2011 S60 T6 AWD

Depending on your relationship with your dealer, they may replace it under Goodwill. Or as marvinmartian said, shave it off with a razor.
      2012 Ice-White R-Design BLIS, Premium Sound, Navigation
      19" Ixion reps, 245/35R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, H&R springs, H&R 15mm spacers , 3M carbon vinyl roof wrap, CAI, Heico Quad Exhaust & Diffuser w/Carbon insert, resonator delete/y-pipe, Heico Auto Shiftknob, IPD rear sway bar/endlinks, Polestar Pedals & Rear Spoiler, 2014+ TFT cluster, Eurosport Upper Strut Bar, Powerflex upper mount insert.

Had the same issue with same model year. My car was WAY out of warranty (around 140,000 miles). I opened a case with my dealership and Volvo NA, and it was replaced it for free.
      Current: 2017 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription
      Osmium Grey exterior, Charcoal interior
      Heads-Up Display, Bowers & Wilkins, Surround View Camera, Premium Wheels, Charcoal Headliner

Previous: 2012 Volvo S60 T5
      Vibrant Copper exterior, Beechwood Brown/Off-black interior
      Premium, Climate, and Multimedia Packages; Rear Entertainment, Xenons, PCC, Njord Wheels

2016 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum
      Bright Silver Metallic exterior, Off-Black interior
      Climate and BLIS Packages

Quote Originally Posted by djstorm View Post
      Had the same issue with same model year. My car was WAY out of warranty (around 140,000 miles). I opened a case with my dealership and Volvo NA, and it was replaced it for free.
      How do you get in touch with Volvo NA? I've been calling the number on this page for my current issue (separate thread):

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/ContactNumbers

They really haven't been much help at all.
      Last edited by marvinmartian; 07-21-2017 at 02:47 PM.

If your talking about this piece (#3) it's $45 and easy to replace by removing the airbag. I'm having the same issue on my '10 S80.
      2015.5 XC60 T6 Flamenco Red/Sand, Platinum, Tech, Blis
      2010 S80 T6 Silver/Anthracite, Dynaudio, Nav, Climate, Blis
      2005 S40 T5 Passion Red/Quartz, Dynamic Pkg, E46 bi-xenon retro
      Previous: '05 S60 2.5T, '05 S60 T5, '04 S80 2.5T, '98 V70 T5, '96 854 Platinum

Pretty sure they will replace for free as it is a safety defect. Many have been cut by the peeling metal, including myself.

Note, I did not opt for the replacement. Getting cut once was enough for me to know to steer clear of the back sides of this piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How hard is it to replace the airbag? Can an "end user" do it?

Had mine replaced for free. Recently I noticed the bottom edge of the silver part on the siding door in the center console is doing the same thing. If I ever get cut by it I'll just take a razor blade to it.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by marvinmartian View Post
      How do you get in touch with Volvo NA? I've been calling the number on this page for my current issue (separate thread):

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/ContactNumbers

They really haven't been much help at all.
      I went to this website and emailed them using their forms for Volvo Owner Care: https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/forms

Below is the exact wording of my request and I also attached pictures of the trim that was peeled and the sharp edges:

I am having an issue that is a frequent issue and has been documented by several other owners:

The aluminum trim around the steering wheel is peeling and is very sharp on the top of the steering wheel. I have received several paper cuts on the sharp edges of the peeling aluminum trim. See this thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ing-Wheel-Fail

Since this is a frequent occurrence on 2012 Volvo S60s and since others have had this same problem resolved by a replacement part and it being covered by Volvo, I would like the same.
      Last edited by djstorm; 07-22-2017 at 08:36 AM.
      Current: 2017 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription
      Osmium Grey exterior, Charcoal interior
      Heads-Up Display, Bowers & Wilkins, Surround View Camera, Premium Wheels, Charcoal Headliner

Previous: 2012 Volvo S60 T5
      Vibrant Copper exterior, Beechwood Brown/Off-black interior
      Premium, Climate, and Multimedia Packages; Rear Entertainment, Xenons, PCC, Njord Wheels

2016 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum
      Bright Silver Metallic exterior, Off-Black interior
      Climate and BLIS Packages

How hard is it to replace the airbag? Can an "end user" do it?
      Absolutely!

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ecor-installed

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...-392274-1/2010

Well shoot, I would have rather done that to be honest. But my quick fix seems to have worked pretty well. Rim touch up paint is pretty thick, almost epoxy like. So it's all glued down pretty well now.

Oh well, at least I'll know if another part of it peels off.

EDIT: I see it requires a VIDA/DICE module. How much do those things run?
      Last edited by marvinmartian; 07-22-2017 at 10:25 AM.

Well shoot, I would have rather done that to be honest. But my quick fix seems to have worked pretty well. Rim touch up paint is pretty thick, almost epoxy like. So it's all glued down pretty well now.

Oh well, at least I'll know if another part of it peels off.

EDIT: I see it requires a VIDA/DICE module. How much do those things run?
      This guy's been selling them for several years on eBay. Bought mine back in 2012, still works perfectly. Better internal circuitry inside the dice unit versus the cheaper ones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLVO-VIDA-D...sAAOSweW5VOBKD

I'm not 100% sure about having to reset the SRS through Vida, however, I haven't done this yet on my P3 S80. I never had to do it on my P2's when I removed the airbag as long as I didn't turn the ignition to I or II when the airbag was disconnected.

Awaiting Approval

Volvo Replaced under Goodwill Yesterday 10/15/20 - 2015 S60 Out of Warranty

I went to this website and emailed them using their forms for Volvo Owner Care: https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/forms

Below is the exact wording of my request and I also attached pictures of the trim that was peeled and the sharp edges:

I am having an issue that is a frequent issue and has been documented by several other owners:

The aluminum trim around the steering wheel is peeling and is very sharp on the top of the steering wheel. I have received several paper cuts on the sharp edges of the peeling aluminum trim. See this thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ing-Wheel-Fail

Since this is a frequent occurrence on 2012 Volvo S60s and since others have had this same problem resolved by a replacement part and it being covered by Volvo, I would like the same.
      I contacted Volvo Customer Care and modified the wording above to fit my situation. Volvo asked me to schedule an appointment and let them know which dealer I was using. I let them know and they opened a case for my car. The dealer replaced under goodwill and even completed my state inspection at no charge.

The post above is on point and obviously Volvo knows this is a recurring issue with the metal on these bezels.

Thank you!

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements