How many S90, V90 and V90CC owners can't open the key fob?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

How many S90, V90 and V90CC owners can't open the key fob?

I posted a couple of weeks ago about the fact that I can't open our new 2018 V90's key fob to retrieve the metal emergency key.

Have any other owners had this problem? (In fact, have many new owners of S90s and V90CCs even tried to open their key fobs?)

Please don't post instructions on how to open the key fob. I went through that on the previous thread, and one forum member even went so far as to make a very clear video on how to do it. Doesn't work for me, so let's forget about telling me how to do it. All I want to know is if this is a common problem. (Two commenters on my previous thread said they couldn't open their fob either, so it well might be.)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

No problem here, clear instructions in the owners manual

I figured it out while eating meatballs at the FDC.

OP, did you take your key to the dealer to see if you have a defective part?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Yes, I have a defective part--my wife's fob as well. The dealer (Hudson Valley Volvo) handed over the car to us saying, "We can't get these fobs open, but the metal keys were packaged separately, so for heaven's sake don't put them back into the fob if you happen to get it open. You may never get the fob open again." Volvo is obviously new to the luxury-car game. Certainly I'm going to get the fobs replaced, but I'm interested in how common a problem this is.

Quote Originally Posted by stepwilk View Post
      I posted a couple of weeks ago about the fact that I can't open our new 2018 V90's key fob to retrieve the metal emergency key.

Have any other owners had this problem? (In fact, have many new owners of S90s and V90CCs even tried to open their key fobs?)

Please don't post instructions on how to open the key fob. I went through that on the previous thread, and one forum member even went so far as to make a very clear video on how to do it. Doesn't work for me, so let's forget about telling me how to do it. All I want to know is if this is a common problem. (Two commenters on my previous thread said they couldn't open their fob either, so it well might be.)
      Some of the Fobs can be difficult to open, but I haven't run across one yet that couldn't be opened.

Dealer just e-mailed me, "Yes, the fobs are defective. We will replace them under warranty." So now you've run across two that can't be opened...

I have two fobs - I can open one, just can't open the other one. So, clearly, there are some issues.

Thanks to you, Stephan, and the video by matt1122 on how to open the key fob, I finally got both of mine open. I don't know how to copy another's post, and re-post in this discussion--but I would recommend that "How To Open Key Fob" previously posted, be added here.
      Last edited by PhaetonTim; 08-02-2017 at 02:32 PM.
      2017 S90 T6 AWD Inscription w/Polestar (my 1st Volvo)/ Black Onyx/Amber; Climate; HUD; Convenience; Vision; 20" Wheels; Metallic Paint; Spoiler; Polestar; 2018 Honda Accord 1.5T Touring (replaced my lemon '16 Sonata PHEV)

I tried to open one of mine and it's now stuck.

stepwilk is saying that he knows how to open it, but that his won't open. Absolutely believable given how tight these things are assembled.

I'm playing with both of mine right now, and it's clear that they don't open consistently. In fact the one I don't use every day is very, very difficult to get to open.

With the key open, I can see clearly that the black switch-like piece doesn't always actuate the release properly. It's only going about half as far as it should be going.

Glad you brought this up again, I'll have this replaced next time I'm in for service.

For those talking about how to open it, here's the video again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHT72mNQEW8
      Last edited by matt1122; 07-29-2017 at 04:39 PM.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements