Air Suspension Failure - Page 5
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by ColumbusXC90 View Post
      Taking our 2016 T6 inscription in Monday. Service suspension required alert on. All shocks already replaced few months ago. Now this and even better they found oil around turbo and said engine pistons and rings need replaced. Engine rebuild! Ugh
      time to lemon that guy.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

We are the second owner. But we pick the car up tomorrow from dealer. Took a week. They replaced the Sensus with brand new one bc it was so slow and lagged. Entire engine rebuild and compressor replaced. We opened a case with Volvo and they replied within 2 days and said sorry denied for any extension for your warranty. You can buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbusXC90 View Post
      We are the second owner. But we pick the car up tomorrow from dealer. Took a week. They replaced the Sensus with brand new one bc it was so slow and lagged. Entire engine rebuild and compressor replaced. We opened a case with Volvo and they replied within 2 days and said sorry denied for any extension for your warranty. You can buy one.
      I bet in the past 2-3 years the compressor was already replaced at least once (by the previous owner maybe?). Can you use the lifetime warranty on previously replaced parts to cover that?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by fvultee View Post
      I bet in the past 2-3 years the compressor was already replaced at least once (by the previous owner maybe?). Can you use the lifetime warranty on previously replaced parts to cover that?
      When does the factory warranty end for this car?

Lifetime warranty starts coverage after the first repair out of factory warranty or extended warranty. The second repair on same parts then is covered by lifetime warranty.
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 03-15-2019 at 08:32 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Ooo sneaky, good to know, so you have to pay out of pocket once for the part then not again, thanks! Tis a shame, I had my compressor replaced in the first few months, was hoping that meant it was covered forever.

We still have 3k miles left on warranty. So we haven't paid yet but just worried it's had 25K worth of repairs just in this past year. Must get a warranty I think or we might dump it.

We opened up a case with Volvo but they were no help so going to escalate it. Also sent an email to Steingold to price VIP warranty. Car seems to be nice and seems fixed. They also put a brand new SENSUS system in it since it was slow. This much starts up and operates much faster now.

Crap. My '16 suspension service came on. Again.
      Looks like it's locked in current position, trying to go to performance mode or off road and it doesn't even try to raise and lower. Just dead. I'm probably riding on the springs at this point.

Last year it was in twice for problems. Compressor replaced, some kind of relief valve replaced. Right at the tail end of 3yr warranty period. Now wondering if it's something they worked on before will they be asking for money or cover it?

The suspension only acts up when it gets really cold too. Come on Volvo, you were supposed to be the car made for winter, not the one afraid of it.

Reply to myself.

Did a little self diagnosis. Fuse is blown. Replaced it and hoping it holds. But I have appointment booked in a week for regular maintenance anyhow.

My working theory is the air valve might have gotten iced up in the cold weather and may have caused the pump to overload. If it blows again I fear it will likely be something expensive

Quote Originally Posted by QueBall View Post
      Reply to myself.

Did a little self diagnosis. Fuse is blown. Replaced it and hoping it holds. But I have appointment booked in a week for regular maintenance anyhow.

My working theory is the air valve might have gotten iced up in the cold weather and may have caused the pump to overload. If it blows again I fear it will likely be something expensive
      Lol, if you are out of warranty you are hosed.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod

Quote Originally Posted by partridge View Post
      Just got mine back. Looks like it was the issue in the TJ. They replaced a fuse and the compressor. The service advisor said I was lucky it happened while the car was in for other work. He said he’s seen other cars get stuck in the fully lowered position and need to get towed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Just had the fuse and compressor done again. This one only lasted 9 months? Wtf?

Current:
      Linnéa: 2017 Osmium Grey XC90 T8 R-Design Vision/Climate/Conv/Air/B&W/Booster
      Deceased:
      Inga: 2004 Titanium Gray/Gobi S60R - Navigation, ipd tune, hood vent, rear window spoiler
      Astrid: 2015.5 Sapphire Black/Nubuck XC60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum BLIS Climate Polestar

Just had the fuse and compressor done again. This one only lasted 9 months? Wtf?
      If Volvo doesn't address the moisture accumulation issue (e.g., inline dryer), this will continue occurring in cold climates.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

Junior Member VolvoXC90Inscription's Avatar
      I also had the compressor changed last winter after the air suspension failed in VT. This year I turned off the easy entry/exit function for winter. I am not sure if it will help but trying to elimiate extra work for the air suspension. Hopefully the problem will not come back.
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription - Onyx Black - Vision & Convenience Packages - HUD - 4C Air Suspension - Center Booster Cushion - PA2 Upgrade - Intellisafe Support Upgrade
      2001 S40 1.9T - Gold - Cold Weather Package - Leather Seats - Power Driver Seat - Sunroof/Audio Package - Fog Lights

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoXC90Inscription View Post
      I also had the compressor changed last winter after the air suspension failed in VT. This year I turned off the easy entry/exit function for winter. I am not sure if it will help but trying to elimiate extra work for the air suspension. Hopefully the problem will not come back.
      Unfortunately the problem came back (twice)
      - Last week I received the suspension failure message and the air suspension stopped working (no up/down; but car running normal); I took the car to the service and fuse/relay was changed. Everything was back to normal.
      - After driving it for 6 days, same problem happened (outside temp 37F tonight); and now waiting to hear back from the service advisor.

Clearly it is a cold weather related problem....and I know that I have the latest updated air compressor installed early this year.

I see the comment from lamarguy "If Volvo doesn't address the moisture accumulation issue (e.g., inline dryer), this will continue occurring in cold climates.". However, if there is a major design problem, why it is happening in some cars, but not in others.

Any thoughts that may help will be highly appreciated.
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription - Onyx Black - Vision & Convenience Packages - HUD - 4C Air Suspension - Center Booster Cushion - PA2 Upgrade - Intellisafe Support Upgrade
      2001 S40 1.9T - Gold - Cold Weather Package - Leather Seats - Power Driver Seat - Sunroof/Audio Package - Fog Lights

So just a few days after my compressor and fuse etc were replaced for the second time this year, my suspension light went on again.

Thankfully? The problem was that a line had come loose. And they hadn’t replaced a fender liner properly so it was rubbing.

Current:
      Deceased:
      Inga: 2004 Titanium Gray/Gobi S60R - Navigation, ipd tune, hood vent, rear window spoiler
      Astrid: 2015.5 Sapphire Black/Nubuck XC60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum BLIS Climate Polestar

Volvo will need to extend the warranties on these if they can figure them out. Sucks to be the people out of warranty on these right now.

2006 Passion Red S60R

So just a few days after my compressor and fuse etc were replaced for the second time this year, my suspension light went on again.

Thankfully? The problem was that a line had come loose. And they hadn’t replaced a fender liner properly so it was rubbing.

Thank you - I will mention this too. The car is going back to service tomorrow.

I just had this addressed yesterday. There is a Technical Journal associated to this problem and an updated air compressor that is being installed.

TJ31423.14.0-2019-04-11

Should be addressed free of charge from what I understand.

From what people are saying the updated compressor is failing too. They are like on the 6th revision of it lol

Just do what Land Rover does and put desiccant packs in the lines to absorb moisture. It's the freezing of excess moisture that's doing these pumps in.

2006 Passion Red S60R

Yeah. Blew another fuse the other day, tried replacing it and blew new one immediately. So I did the new fix I learned. I WASHED the car and paid special attention to the undercarriage areas, so whatever chunk of ice and crap had formed around the intake was removed. Another fuse and it is up and running again.

Just found one of my electronics wholesalers for work carries these fuses. I ordered a bunch as the wholesale price is $1.35 and the local auto parts stores charge between $7 to $12 depending if they have bulk, single packaged fuse or just the assortment packs.

I see dubkb refers to a new factory Tech Journal on this. I'm curious to know what it says. If it is an actual fix or just list of work around and fixes. I have had some work done under warranty with compressor. I have to find the paperwork to see exactly what was noted beyond the compressor replacement last year but this TJ date is after that service work was completed so if something is new since then that is a permanent fix I'm interested in going further. For now, if it's just icing up and blowing a fuse it is not too hard to wash the car park in heated garage to thaw out and replace the fuse. It certainly does not fit the bill as a good winter vehicle as a Volvo is meant to be which is really the biggest disappointment.

Wow, real winter ready volvo you got there...

2006 Passion Red S60R

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      Wow, real winter ready volvo you got there...
      -18*C here this morning. (Basically 0 *F )

Plenty of fresh snow on the roads. As it warms up during the day things get a bit slushy around -10*C when road salt is able to melt things. So that sticks to your car, then at night you get a nice big lump of ice under your wheel wells.

Real winter here!

Grew up in Prince Albert Sk.....Nothing like going to the mall....movie theater..hockey game....coming out to a nice frozen car!! lol Miss those days
      2019 XC 60 T8 Inscription Osmium Grey
      2017 Honda Africa Twin

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoXC90Inscription View Post
      Unfortunately the problem came back (twice)
      - Last week I received the suspension failure message and the air suspension stopped working (no up/down; but car running normal); I took the car to the service and fuse/relay was changed. Everything was back to normal.
      - After driving it for 6 days, same problem happened (outside temp 37F tonight); and now waiting to hear back from the service advisor.

Clearly it is a cold weather related problem....and I know that I have the latest updated air compressor installed early this year.

I see the comment from lamarguy "If Volvo doesn't address the moisture accumulation issue (e.g., inline dryer), this will continue occurring in cold climates.". However, if there is a major design problem, why it is happening in some cars, but not in others.

Any thoughts that may help will be highly appreciated.
      Update:
      Fuse was changed
      Compressor was changed for the 2nd time (now I have the latest compressor and hopefully this will solve the problem)
      No problem for the last week but the car has been in the garage
      On the way to VT next week to see if it is really fixed.
      Ordered the fuse from e-bay (40amp special one); if the problem comes back while traveling, my plan is to change the fuse right away - https://www.ebay.com/itm/163829427550

I'm not even sure there is a "new" compressor design. There may be ones that are later manufacturing dates and perhaps they are a bit better quality with a few years of manufacturing experience under their belt at that supplier.

The Technical Journals I have seen (Older revisions only though, I have not see a free link to the latest revision)
      They all just say replace the fuse, relay and compressor but doesn't seem to mention any new part or new assembly, or a design fix, or replacement part numbers for a new revision or anything like that. I'm not experienced enough to know if they would change part numbers for a fixed version or not but it seems pretty common within the industry to issue a new part number and then refer the old part number to it's replacement when there is any kind of enhanced version or revision. It sounds like just replacing the compressor with a new but identical version one isn't really a fix if this is a design flaw. That kind of action is assuming the old compressor is worn out or defective and the cause of fuses blowing. But then it wouldn't be so weather dependent. The TJ doesn't even address weather related concerns so I'm not sure it's of much value.

Mine has been changed.
      My brother had his changed twice
      and our last poster was on number 2. someone can go through the previous posts to collect other examples.

Quote Originally Posted by QueBall View Post
      I'm not even sure there is a "new" compressor design. There may be ones that are later manufacturing dates and perhaps they are a bit better quality with a few years of manufacturing experience under their belt at that supplier.

The Technical Journals I have seen (Older revisions only though, I have not see a free link to the latest revision)
      They all just say replace the fuse, relay and compressor but doesn't seem to mention any new part or new assembly, or a design fix, or replacement part numbers for a new revision or anything like that. I'm not experienced enough to know if they would change part numbers for a fixed version or not but it seems pretty common within the industry to issue a new part number and then refer the old part number to it's replacement when there is any kind of enhanced version or revision. It sounds like just replacing the compressor with a new but identical version one isn't really a fix if this is a design flaw. That kind of action is assuming the old compressor is worn out or defective and the cause of fuses blowing. But then it wouldn't be so weather dependent. The TJ doesn't even address weather related concerns so I'm not sure it's of much value.

Mine has been changed.
      My brother had his changed twice
      and our last poster was on number 2. someone can go through the previous posts to collect other examples.

well SURELY they have to see the data that shows when these come in high failure rates around winter time.
      2006 Passion Red S60R

Unfortunately Volvo does not have a better solution and we are alone here. Will keep reporting our experiences until there is a better solution. On the other hand, there are so many cars out there with no air suspension problems...so there is something special/wrong about/with our cars.

Something I just realized (probably unrelated but worth reporting). My #1 and #3 air suspension failure message happened after a remote start when it was very cold outside.

Also do we know if what listed below are normal or abnormal? I know several people reported these issues but I cannot keep track what is normal anymore:
      a) During cold days, air blowing out from the back (right) when you unlock the car? (I think it is normal)
      b) Cold or warm days, when you start driving (without changing the driving mode - easy entry/exit off), the car slightly adjusting the height? (I am not sure... as I think the car stopped doing this after the last compressor change)

thank you guys

It’s always around winter. Especially if the car has been sitting in cold temperatures for a while.

Both of my pump failures have occurred in winter, both times when the car was stuck at the shop for another reason and sat in the cold for a week.

Current:
      Deceased:

Smile

My 2016 First Edition with 83k miles is in the shop for this issue. First time after 5 brutal winters. Heard loud noise from rear and the warning light came on. Stuck in Off-Road high position. After three days I have not been given an update. UPDATE: Service adviser just notified me that vehicle is ready to be picked up. Fortunately I have an extended warranty. Will post what they had to do to fix it once I have documentation.

UPDATE #2: Installed new air compressor and fuse. Air suspension works fine now.
      Last edited by SocDave; 12-24-2019 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Update
      2016 XC90 First Edition

I reviewed the most recent pages - mostly 2016 and 2017 cars. There is only one 2018.

Any conclusion possible?
      a) They improved the air suspension system over the years
      b) 2018-2020 models are not out there long enough to develop problems
      c) People are not adding the air suspension system option anymore
      d) All of the above
      e) None of the above

)

Mine blew a few more fuses. Took it in today, Volvo Canada is replacing compressor for free. (I have had it done under warranty before less than a year ago)

Service tech mentioned a redesigned part with availability in January has been noted in recent bulletin this week. I'm getting the old version still, the new part is not yet available.

So revision 10? LOL

2006 Passion Red S60R

Frigid today. Going to be even colder in the next few days.

Suspension is not a happy camper in this weather. Parked outside at 7:30am and it was -28*C at that time then went for a trip just before 11am. Lots of strange pinging noises coming from the back air tanks and after a while I get the "Suspension - Temporarily reduced performance" message on the dash. Several times it flashed "Suspension - Service required" for a second before disappearing and then coming back and going away over and over before this. Fuse has not blown, putting it in heated garage at home for a while and things returned to normal. Later in the day on another trip after being parked for a much shorter time it struggled again with flashing suspension service required messages but this time it recovered and did not go into "temporarily reduced performance" mode.

I got the suspension error/service message 2 days ago. Car became very stiff and lowered itself but I still was able to drive it.
      No previous issues.
      Visited dealer, yesterday morning, no loaners available so Uber(black) cost me 100, car was fixed, they had to replace the compressor and a fuse.
      Still have factory warranty (MY 2017) so no charge, but I asked the advisor, how much would it be when warranty is over - he said around 1500.
      I told him that I read all about warnings not to buy air suspension and also not to buy XC90 at all due to 2.0 engine super and turbo charged, he said today they are replacing entire engine in a 2016 XC90, completely shredded without going into details.
      Not happy since yesterday, I have extra warranty for 7y total and I will be selling the car just before the 7 years is over.
      Last edited by emoremio; 01-22-2020 at 05:38 PM.
      2017 XC90 T6 RDesign Polestar factory order with all extra options

The Suspension Needs Service light came on in our '16 XC90 again last night. We were leaving a friends house with a steep driveway and it was around 15F. As we went down the driveway we heard a loud noise and the warning came on. The car won't raise or lower at all, I checked the Active Chassis fuse and it's fine. We just had our rear compressor replaced in March and the car is still under extended warranty. Tried calling the dealer but they're closed today (President's Day in the US). We just had the car in last Friday for the 70k service too, this is beyond irritating.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast