Air Suspension Failure - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Banner Advertiser George @ ViVA's Avatar
      Saw this at the dealer this morning. All 4 corners were deflated and car resting on bump stops... #stance!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by George @ ViVA View Post
      Saw this at the dealer this morning. All 4 corners were deflated and car resting on bump stops... #stance!
      That's a failed equalizer valve

Sent from my obamaphone.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

re: #stance
      lol so happy I didn't get that package. After all, with the failure of 4Cs, and the last round of Mercedes airmatics, you'd think ppl would avoid this feature like the freaking plague...

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
      lol so happy I didn't get that package. After all, with the failure of 4Cs, and the last round of Mercedes airmatics, you'd think ppl would avoid this feature like the freaking plague...
      Same here
      2018 Onyx Black T6 Momentum: Amber, 20" wheels

Quote Originally Posted by George @ ViVA View Post
      That’s what my xc90 looks like when it’s parked. I have the easy entry/exit feature enabled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve13 View Post
      An update: Car repaired, air pump for air suspension failed. First failure the dealer had seen.
      It's ALWAYS the first failure the dealer has seen...

Quote Originally Posted by PearlWhite View Post
      That’s what my xc90 looks like when it’s parked. I have the easy entry/exit feature enabled.

Exactly. I love the stance of it on 21s too

2017 A4 Allroad P+ W/ Cold weather, warm weather, Florret silver on Charcoal. Loaded (AOA BUYBACK- ——> 2018 Prestige Florret silver full body paint, Warm weather, cold weather, DAP, ROW parts

2018 XC90 Momentum + Convenience, Air suspension, 21 Inch rims, Bright Silver with Charcoal Leather LOADED VCNA buyback ( From 2016 XC90 Osmium Grey)----

(2018 XC90 totaled by a driver who rear ended us——-> into 2018 Q7 Florret silver Prestige, DAP, Adaptive chassis , cold weather, tow

2017 F150 XLT- 3.5/10 Speed- BLIS, Sport appearance Lightning blue

1946 CJ2A Restore

Quote Originally Posted by VxF View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Steve13 View Post
      An update: Car repaired, air pump for air suspension failed. First failure the dealer had seen.
      It's ALWAYS the first failure the dealer has seen...
      LOL. So true!
      2018 XC90 Inscription / Air Suspension / B & W / 21" OEM Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by krypttic View Post
      LOL. So true!
      Well. It's not the first failure Volvo has seen. The failure rate is so high I expect them to extend the warranty on the air suspension.

Sent from my obamaphone.
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod

Of course, if XC90s had a significant failure rate, on any problem, Volvo's profits would not be soaring the way they are. If Volvo had to spend just a few thousand dollars on even a small number of XC90s, then profits would be very depressed. However, Volvo's profit tripled in 2015 over 2014. Then the profit went up 66% in 2016. And in the first 9 mos of 2017, profits were up another 42%. If Volvo was doing any significant amount of warranty work, these profits would not be going up so spectacularly. Especially, when you consider the incentives now being offered on the XC90.
      2006 2.5T AWD XC90 / 2015.5 XC60 T5 (5 cyl) AWD, Platinum, Blis & Climate Package, 20 inch Pirellis, wood inlays with blonde interior (stunning), Flamenco Red (exterior)

"Predictions are really hard, especially about the future." -- Yogi Berra

It's covered under warranty and I won't keep the car more than 5-6 years (with a 1 or 2 year extension to warranty), so the air suspension is worth it to me, even if something goes wrong and it needs service during that time. I had a loaner with the standard suspension, and it was a lot bouncier over uneven pavement. I also like being able to lift the car for driving on Jeep trails when I go camping.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
      HIS: 2018 XC90 T6 Inscription/Denim Blue Metallic/Amber nappa leather/Polestar/B&W/Convenience/Air Suspension/HUD/Climate/Protection Package
      HERS: 2017 BMW X1 xDrive 28i/Olive Metallic/Canberra/Tech/Premium/Driving Assistance Plus/Cold Weather Package/Harman Kardan audio

Quote Originally Posted by Tostik View Post
      Of course, if XC90s had a significant failure rate, on any problem, Volvo's profits would not be soaring the way they are. If Volvo had to spend just a few thousand dollars on even a small number of XC90s, then profits would be very depressed. However, Volvo's profit tripled in 2015 over 2014. Then the profit went up 66% in 2016. And in the first 9 mos of 2017, profits were up another 42%. If Volvo was doing any significant amount of warranty work, these profits would not be going up so spectacularly. Especially, when you consider the incentives now being offered on the XC90.
      Well sure it is easy to double and triple coming from nothing. You forget their sales had been in the ****ter since 2008.

Sent from my obamaphone.
      2006 Passion Red S60R

Mine failed, 2018, 5800 miles. I heard bad rumbling's from the back, then Suspension failure icon, bring in for service. Its going in on Thursday.

J

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      Well sure it is easy to double and triple coming from nothing. You forget their sales had been in the ****ter since 2008.

Sent from my obamaphone.
      Tripled in 2015? Up 66% in 2016? Up 42% in the first 9 mos of 2017? That's SOARING, from even a low profit margin. And that would NOT have happened if Volvo was doing a significant amount of warranty work! If Volvo was doing a lot of warranty work, the profits would still be in the dumpers at 2014 levels.
      Last edited by Tostik; 11-29-2017 at 01:00 AM.
      2006 2.5T AWD XC90 / 2015.5 XC60 T5 (5 cyl) AWD, Platinum, Blis & Climate Package, 20 inch Pirellis, wood inlays with blonde interior (stunning), Flamenco Red (exterior)

"Predictions are really hard, especially about the future." -- Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by DenverJaguar View Post
      It's covered under warranty and I won't keep the car more than 5-6 years (with a 1 or 2 year extension to warranty), so the air suspension is worth it to me, even if something goes wrong and it needs service during that time. I had a loaner with the standard suspension, and it was a lot bouncier over uneven pavement. I also like being able to lift the car for driving on Jeep trails when I go camping.
      OK sir. You got "air suspension" on an XC90 just go onto "Jeep" trails. Kinda like Brits driving Range Rover Sports in central London. What's the emoji for *rolleyes*? Alternatively, you could've gotten 19s and all the bumps would've been smoothed out and while rolling over giant boulders. Adjustable suspension, i.e. the original FOUR-C, has been a major point of failure on Volvos for the last 13 years. It's ok to admit you weren't aware of this. I just took my XC to camping (read: GLAMPING) in Joshua Tree last weekend. No air suspension, survived 3 days, nearly a hundred miles, with no visit to the workshop.

OK sir. You got "air suspension" on an XC90 just go onto "Jeep" trails. Kinda like Brits driving Range Rover Sports in central London. What's the emoji for *rolleyes*? Alternatively, you could've gotten 19s and all the bumps would've been smoothed out and while rolling over giant boulders. Adjustable suspension, i.e. the original FOUR-C, has been a major point of failure on Volvos for the last 13 years. It's ok to admit you weren't aware of this. I just took my XC to camping (read: GLAMPING) in Joshua Tree last weekend. No air suspension, survived 3 days, nearly a hundred miles, with no visit to the workshop.
      Come on. Your reply comes across a little rude. I don't need to admit to anything other than I prefer the way the air suspension handles over the standard setup, and having 10 inches of ground clearance is very useful to me. Joshua Tree park has nothing on half the roads I venture onto in Colorado. Sure, I could have bought a Grand Cherokee (considered it), but it has a lot of shortcomings that offset it's off-road prowess. I wouldn't take the XC90 through Yankee Boy Basin's short wheel base area, but it handled great getting me to the upper trailhead for Huron Peak. I was able to car camp with the other high clearance vehicles in a beautiful spot.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
      HIS: 2018 XC90 T6 Inscription/Denim Blue Metallic/Amber nappa leather/Polestar/B&W/Convenience/Air Suspension/HUD/Climate/Protection Package
      HERS: 2017 BMW X1 xDrive 28i/Olive Metallic/Canberra/Tech/Premium/Driving Assistance Plus/Cold Weather Package/Harman Kardan audio

Quote Originally Posted by JKing3 View Post
      Mine failed, 2018, 5800 miles. I heard bad rumbling's from the back, then Suspension failure icon, bring in for service. Its going in on Thursday.

J
      Interested in what the verdict is with yours. My 2 month old 2200 mile ride just had the suspension warning go off. Will call the dealer tomorrow and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mur-TEL View Post
      Interested in what the verdict is with yours. My 2 month old 2200 mile ride just had the suspension warning go off. Will call the dealer tomorrow and report back.

They said a fuse was replaced and did the total software update. No major parts, which is good. It seems fine now, although that same night I I was driving home from being out and the air suspension was stuck. Its been a week without issue since.

J

Finally got my ride back. Had to get a new compressor in from Sweden as it was blowing fuses and ot supplying enough pressure to the 4C system. Apparently "with these new cars they don't have the parts in the US yet." They had my car for almost 3 weeks, although I don't think they were able to work on it the whole time as they were pretty busy. Still, I find it odd that the 18's suspension is different than the 17 or even 16. Either way, all better now. Didn't mention anything about software.

Perhaps I missed it, but I have not seen where the 18 suspension changed from previous model years. Is this so?
      2016 Black XC90 R Design with B&W, 4C, tow, climate, convenience, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by huntpsu1 View Post
      Perhaps I missed it, but I have not seen where the 18 suspension changed from previous model years. Is this so?
      I’m curious to know the same thing. Is he saying the air suspension is redesigned or simply different part suppliers.

2016 XC90 R-design T6 | Osmium Grey, Vision, Convenience, Climate + HUD, Air Suspension, B/W, 22"s | DMV (District, Maryland, Virginia)

Just got the suspension failure message and the rear of my car seems stuck in the lowest position. I used the buttons in the trunk to lower the rear, and that seemed to trigger the issue.

Final straw for me with this car. Love it when it's working, but the inconvenience of dealer visits for unscheduled maintenance is just too annoying. It's made worse here by the poor service from the dealers. The dealer I purchased the car from couldn't give me a loaner and said my residence was too far for a shuttle ride. The other local dealer I tried also said they wouldn't go North of a particular street, so my house was about seven blocks too far for a shuttle ride. They also refused to allow an early drop off of the vehicle because they "don't have any parking." I had to fight with the service manager to get them to allow me to drop off the car, and I'll have to get an uber to my house.

I've seen lots of comments here about high maintenance owners whining about allegedly minor problems. These comments just don't get the point that many of us have owned multiple vehicles from multiple luxury and non-luxury brands. Volvo is competing against those experiences, which in most cases are comparing more reliable vehicles and better dealer service.

Long story short, I'm getting rid of the car and am put off Volvo until they can at least improve customer service.
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design. Onyx Black on Charcoal Nappa. Vision, Climate, Convenience, B&W, 4C Air Suspension, 22" Alloys.

Mine is in the shop for the suspension failure. I went in on Sat to pick it up after the fuse was replaced and dealer waited for new compressor to be shipped (3 weeks). Unfortunately the suspension wouldn't raise when I went in to pick it up and got a loaner instead. Apparently condensation can form inside the compressor and then freezing temperatures can cause the compressor to trip the fuse and possibly damage the compressor. Curious if the compressor has been redesigned to eliminate the problem with condensation forming inside the compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by GatorVolvo View Post
      Apparently condensation can form inside the compressor and then freezing temperatures can cause the compressor to trip the fuse and possibly damage the compressor. Curious if the compressor has been redesigned to eliminate the problem with condensation forming inside the compressor.
      The system has a dryer to prevent moisture buildup. The dryer should've been replaced along with the compressor, especially if the air lines were left open for a period of time.

The fuse is designed to protect the compressor from an overload condition, which worked. If it's continuously icing over, you've got a moisture problem in the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
      The system has a dryer to prevent moisture buildup. The dryer should've been replaced along with the compressor, especially if the air lines were left open for a period of time.

The fuse is designed to protect the compressor from an overload condition, which worked. If it's continuously icing over, you've got a moisture problem in the lines.
      Thanks. I don't have the car back yet, but I'll inquire about these other aspects. The dealer indicated Volvo HQ was in the loop for the compressor replacement. Hopefully they would recommend the dryer replacement or line replacement. Tracing back to the root cause is the most important part for reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by nhman12 View Post
      For those that have the Air Suspension in their XC90, would you keep the vehicle beyond the warranty period? I suspect it will be an expense repair (though depending on the component failure). Has this system been deployed in other Volvos?

OP, while not ideal, at-least you are able to drive it.
      8000 miles and no issues with the Air Suspension, which is one of the best options on the vehicle. I plan on keeping the XC90 beyond warranty so keep the real world experience with the Air coming. While most of this thread is about warranty work, please comment on anything you hear about what the non-warranty cost of these Air Suspension repairs would be.
      2018 XC90 T6 Inscription
      (Onyx Black|Convenience|B&W|Air 4C|Htd Steering|Tow Hitch|21" 5V Spoke|Protection|Polestar|Maroon Brown)

Quote Originally Posted by Willybz View Post
      8000 miles and no issues with the Air Suspension, which is one of the best options on the vehicle. I plan on keeping the XC90 beyond warranty so keep the real world experience with the Air coming. While most of this thread is about warranty work, please comment on anything you hear about what the non-warranty cost of these Air Suspension repairs would be.
      Have a 2018 XC90 M+ with air suspension too. The dealer said each corner in the front is about 1k each. Not including labor, compressor, valve block etc. Extended warranty pays for itself.

2017 A4 Allroad P+ W/ Cold weather, warm weather, Florret silver on Charcoal. Loaded (AOA BUYBACK- ——> 2018 Prestige Florret silver full body paint, Warm weather, cold weather, DAP, ROW parts

2018 XC90 Momentum + Convenience, Air suspension, 21 Inch rims, Bright Silver with Charcoal Leather LOADED VCNA buyback ( From 2016 XC90 Osmium Grey)----

(2018 XC90 totaled by a driver who rear ended us——-> into 2018 Q7 Florret silver Prestige, DAP, Adaptive chassis , cold weather, tow

1946 CJ2A Restore

My 4C Air Suspension just failed last week and the dealer has had the car for 3 business days without an update (concerning). I have Blizzaks on my truck and there is a snow storm coming tomorrow that will I need to drive in, so this is pretty disappointing. One of the many reasons I purchased my first Volvo was because of its Arctic roots, and my theory that this would be a good winter driver and a strong performer in the snow. The cold snap we are having in the Northeast may possibly have played a role in this failure. I have a warranty, and so I will think hard about trading or selling this vehicle prior to warranty expiration. All of that said, I have greatly enjoyed the 4C air when working, and I have also utilized the off-road mode like the other posters to get through rutted out VT roads effectively during freeze-melt cycles. I have gone through many foibles with this car as an "unofficial" test pilot. 2 of my neighbors now own them since my purchase. The car suits so many of my needs with kids and gear and safety and tech. BUT, there have been too many trips to the dealer for me to consider being a test pilot again for any brand. My XC90 RD was pre-ordered and the first 2016 RD sold by my dealer. I am still trying to fall back in love w/this car
      2016 XC90 R Design, Osmium Gray, 4C Air, Invisihitch, Polestar

Also got the air suspension failure message over the holidays

Of course it happened while traveling to see family and was unable to get it fixed by the other dealer in time so had to drive it home (West Palm Beach dealer said it was drivable and it drove ok).

Now back home and my dealership said to call Volvo Roadside Assistance to have it towed so they can service it.

Very disappointed as we’ve only had it since November and it had barely 3K miles on it when this happened!

On top of that, the check engine/emission control light came on and is still on. Not a reassuring start for this vehicle! Sad thing is we love it otherwise (denim blue Momemtum + T6 with tow package and HUD). Good news is I was leery of the reliability so we’re leasing and have free maintenance for the life of the lease and under warranty the whole time. Will update once the dealer gets the car on Monday.

Picked my car up from the dealer yesterday and all now seems to be working. I notice a software update was done, since the active collision avoidance option now shows up, and it does a run through of the safety systems at startup.

The dealer experience once the car was there was fine, with good communication about timing and status. However, my regular dealer couldn't give me a loaner and said my house was too far away for a shuttle ride. The closest dealer took the car the day before we left on vacation, so I didn't need a loaner. They refused to give me a shuttle ride because my house is seven blocks North of their cutoff street for transportation. These little things, combined with major reliability concerns, are the perfect way to drive new customers back to other brands.
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design. Onyx Black on Charcoal Nappa. Vision, Climate, Convenience, B&W, 4C Air Suspension, 22" Alloys.

My 2017 gave me the suspension service message last week and it wouldn't raise/lower. First time driving one without the air suspension and could definitely tell the difference. Dropped it off yesterday morning and they just called to say they haven't even looked at it yet, so no idea what's wrong. If did go bad on a morning the temp was 5 degrees F.

Air Compressor REPLACEMENT is now a thing for all air suspension models.

I have experienced both low-rider and jacked-up situations, and after doing the service visit and software update, nope, the air compressor itself is being replaced. And even better, they replacement parts are on backorder ??? because this is happening a lot? Sounds like a recall is in more people's futures.
      2017 XC90 T6 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by Korben View Post
      Air Compressor REPLACEMENT is now a thing for all air suspension models.

I have experienced both low-rider and jacked-up situations, and after doing the service visit and software update, nope, the air compressor itself is being replaced. And even better, they replacement parts are on backorder ??? because this is happening a lot? Sounds like a recall is in more people's futures.
      Perhaps it will become a service action similar to the cars with the affected spark plugs.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

1946 CJ2A Restore

I still don't have my car back either. Was quoted 3 weeks to get a new compressor. Failures seems to coincide with cold weather indicating they're failing due to frozen moisture buildup. Lamarguy indicated a dryer should prevent this. Has anyone had the dryer replaced (or may it be integrated with the compressor itself)?

Quote Originally Posted by GatorVolvo View Post
      I still don't have my car back either. Was quoted 3 weeks to get a new compressor. Failures seems to coincide with cold weather indicating they're failing due to frozen moisture buildup. Lamarguy indicated a dryer should prevent this. Has anyone had the dryer replaced (or may it be integrated with the compressor itself)?
      Uh.. I don't think there is one... Lots of other people have the same kind of pump setup on other brands too. I believe Mercedes (as noted above) is one of them too. My dealer said the fix is the pump replacement (no other way to get moisture out) until some other fix happens. Speaking from experience as I have had this happen 2x on my truck. Most recently in the sub zero weather the east coast has had last week.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast