Air Suspension Failure - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by WhoaVolvo View Post
      Uh.. I don't think there is one... Lots of other people have the same kind of pump setup on other brands too. I believe Mercedes (as noted above) is one of them too. My dealer said the fix is the pump replacement (no other way to get moisture out) until some other fix happens. Speaking from experience as I have had this happen 2x on my truck. Most recently in the sub zero weather the east coast has had last week.
      That's not good. So no dryer and replacement hasn't been redesigned to fix the design problem?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GatorVolvo View Post
      That's not good. So no dryer and replacement hasn't been redesigned to fix the design problem?
      Hmmm, my uncle's Land Rover has a dryer. Said he replaces it every year - https://www.amazon.com/SUSPENSION-CO.../dp/B01GU1P0WK

Looking at the XC90/XC60 parts diagram, I don't see a dryer (unless it's built into the compressor - 31360720). I'll probably add one if that's the case.

OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

If it hasn't been resolved with a newly designed part, then the only comfort out of warranty is the Volvo Lifetime Parts & Labor Warranty.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

If it hasn't been resolved with a newly designed part, then the only comfort out of warranty is the Volvo Lifetime Parts & Labor Warranty.
      Or, we add our own inline dryer. Should be very straightforward.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

Pretty sure from an economic perspective, easier and cheaper to replace when they go, compared to a new design, new part, quality issues etc. Especially when you have a 3 month out of the year cycle of issues. (At least for New England)

I'd be interested to know if anyone installs a dryer and how they handle mounting, etc. In the short term it may be cheaper to replace as they break, but repeated car failures (not drive-able in some instances) and leaving owners stranded in the worst possible weather conditions doesn't help brand loyalty.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoaVolvo View Post
      Pretty sure from an economic perspective, easier and cheaper to replace when they go, compared to a new design, new part, quality issues etc. Especially when you have a 3 month out of the year cycle of issues. (At least for New England)
      I think you're overlooking the impact of excessive moisture on the electronic valves and air bags/shocks. It's a closed-loop system and, if you've ever used an air compressor, you'll know they need to be drained periodically and/or have inline dryers to protect tools.

I'm considering installing this trap/dryer inline between the compressor and the tanks:

Water traps are used to help prevent condensation from building up in your valves or manifold. Water traps are a must for those that daily drive in below freezing temperatures.

The SMC Auto Drain Water Trap will automatically purge when the collected condensation reaches a certain level. Once the internal float reaches a certain height, the valve at the bottom of the trap will open and the pressure from the tank will cause the condensation to purge automatically. It pretty much works like a toilet.. for your air system.

I don't believe the tanks have a drain valve, correct?
      Attached Images Attached Images

Dealer called me this afternoon and said that software updates didn't remove the suspension alert, so they opened a tech case and have to call in the morning. Said it's the first suspension issue they have had so far. They seem clueless.

Update on mine. Had it towed on Monday. Dealer replaced fuse and also checked system and reset our check engine light and dropped it back off Tuesday. On Wednesday,suspension service light back on. Dealer dropped off XC90 courtesy vehicle and picked ours up today. No updates at all from them since other than the courtesy vehicle is only available until the 14th. We live in coastal AL, so hasn’t been that cold really (20’s over the holidays).

Quote Originally Posted by FHPTRIGGERMAN View Post
      Update on mine. Had it towed on Monday. Dealer replaced fuse and also checked system and reset our check engine light and dropped it back off Tuesday. On Wednesday,suspension service light back on. Dealer dropped off XC90 courtesy vehicle and picked ours up today. No updates at all from them since other than the courtesy vehicle is only available until the 14th. We live in coastal AL, so hasn’t been that cold really (20’s over the holidays).
      It will keep happening until the pump is replaced. They are probably doing that this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by slash007 View Post
      Dealer called me this afternoon and said that software updates didn't remove the suspension alert, so they opened a tech case and have to call in the morning. Said it's the first suspension issue they have had so far. They seem clueless.
      Worst case. Tip them off to the compressor. But if they opened a tech case, they should know.

Same situation with mine. Fuse replaced, car was OK for two days, then the suspension service message happened again. Dealer called yesterday to say it is not actually the fuse this time but they don't have a resolution.

On the plus side, the V60 XC they gave me isn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by FHPTRIGGERMAN View Post
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design. Onyx Black on Charcoal Nappa. Vision, Climate, Convenience, B&W, 4C Air Suspension, 22" Alloys.

Update - compressor blown

Update on my Suspension failure following 2 weeks in shop & major inconveniences:

Fuse Check - OK
      SW Update - Done
      Tech Call Made - Tech evaluation done
      Compressor was Blown (part was on backorder, per OP, had to be shipped from overseas)

Compressor was replaced when it was received. I was given a Volvo XC60 loaner (but needed a larger vehicle for planned travel, kids sports, skis etc.). Amazing how a smaller vehicle loaner reinforces the decision to buy a larger capacity SUV when you have a family or specific needs. My suspension failed after snow and following a sub-zero evening. THIS IS VERY DISAPPOINTING SINCE I WAS EXPECTING COLD WEATHER PERFORMANCE FROM A VEHICLE TESTED & BUILD IN SWEDEN. Cold appears to be a very real issue for many of the failure (freeze / thaw cycle likely compromising the compressor, as has been stated). We had 16" of snow while I was without my XC90 (that has Winter Wheels / Snow Tires) - Even bigger inconvenience. I also have a large capacity box on my roof which I also needed while I was without my vehicle. I'm halfway through my warranty more or less... This is now the final determining factor to trade/sell at warranty expiry for me. Now the new search begins... It took me two years to decide on the XC90. For everything I love about it, I can't justify the long term ownership headaches and costs of the 2016 model I own. The hard part is, there really isn't anything that I would consider to be a good replacement vehicle for me personally, except for perhaps a crew cab pick-up truck with a cap on the back (although I would be giving up the seven seats and I would be dealing with lower economy and something a little too BIG). Disappointing for sure.
      Last edited by Skitruckmaskin; 01-17-2018 at 09:39 AM.
      2016 XC90 R Design, Osmium Gray, 4C Air, Invisihitch, Polestar

...and that's why you always get a CPO to take you out to 100k. no cares, Volvo can replace it 10 times if they have to.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      ...and that's why you always get a CPO to take you out to 100k. no cares, Volvo can replace it 10 times if they have to.
      I think you missed my entire point... I'm not paying for this repair - the repair under warranty, and I have 2 years left on my warranty.

I'm just reaching a tipping point on service visits and looking out to the day my warranty expires to determine my next move (based on service history, recalls, etc.).

No I see your point... You are gonna dump it in 2 years. I'm going to be able to keep mine for 6 while Volvo eats all the warranty work. Plus, my dealer doesn't talk to carfax so all the warranty repairs won't be there. It will look clean as a whistle.

Sent from my obamaphone.
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod

No I see your point... You are gonna dump it in 2 years. I'm going to be able to keep mine for 6 while Volvo eats all the warranty work. Plus, my dealer doesn't talk to carfax so all the warranty repairs won't be there. It will look clean as a whistle.

Sent from my obamaphone.
      My point is that I wouldn't want it for 6 more years of service visits at the current frequency level I am at and the way it is handled. But glad you are happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Skitruckmaskin View Post
      My point is that I wouldn't want it for 6 more years of service visits at the current frequency level I am at and the way it is handled. But glad you are happy.
      That is exactly the point. The constant dealer trips are what kill this car for me.
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design. Onyx Black on Charcoal Nappa. Vision, Climate, Convenience, B&W, 4C Air Suspension, 22" Alloys.

After being rear ended at 50 MPH in our brand new 2018 XC90 the air suspension all works still, even thought the compressor is barely hanging on and axles damaged.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk
      2017 A4 Allroad P+ W/ Cold weather, warm weather, Florret silver on Charcoal. Loaded (AOA BUYBACK- ——> 2018 Prestige Florret silver full body paint, Warm weather, cold weather, DAP, ROW parts

2018 XC90 Momentum + Convenience, Air suspension, 21 Inch rims, Bright Silver with Charcoal Leather LOADED VCNA buyback ( From 2016 XC90 Osmium Grey)----

(2018 XC90 totaled by a driver who rear ended us——-> into 2018 Q7 Florret silver Prestige, DAP, Adaptive chassis , cold weather, tow

2017 F150 XLT- 3.5/10 Speed- BLIS, Sport appearance Lightning blue

1946 CJ2A Restore

Sorry to hear about all the air suspensions people been having. We got our 2017 R-Design OSD, drove almost 4K miles in Europe on June 2016, brought it to Southern California and got almost 30K miles on it after several road trips with no problems so far. I wonder if anyone else in moderate weather area like SoCal has any issue or it's just affecting ares with cold/freezing weather.

Btw, my last 2004 XC90 gave us 189K problem free miles, hopeing for the same with this one. I did get the extended warranty to cover 8 years/120K miles.

Sent from my obamaphone.
      That is so awesome for you that you are happy about screwing the next guy with a no record carfax...you actually seem excited about that fortuitous shortcoming of your dealer. Sad for you, that you were raised to think this way.
      Last edited by christiansin; 01-19-2018 at 09:45 AM.

Got my car back from the dealer this morning after having the compressor replaced. They claim a new compressor design was used in the replacement part so the problem shouldn't repeat itself. Not sure if this is accurate or not.

Quote Originally Posted by christiansin View Post
      That is so awesome for you that you are happy about screwing the next guy with a no record carfax...you actually seem excited about that fortuitous shortcoming of your dealer. Sad for you, that you were raised to think this way.
      Screwing the next guy? I'll be happy to turn over all my service records to the next guy. What I don't want are all the vague ****ty descriptions carfax puts on their service records that cause people to doubt or question **** that did or didn't happen. Car faxes are complete garbage and are only good for reporting the number of owners. They don't even capture all accidents.

Sent from my obamaphone.
      2006 Passion Red S60R

Got my car back from the dealer this morning after having the compressor replaced. They claim a new compressor design was used in the replacement part so the problem shouldn't repeat itself. Not sure if this is accurate or not.
      Ah, so all the cars with old air suspension compressor will get bite some uncertain time in future. Good reason to buy extended warranty.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Ah, so all the cars with old air suspension compressor will get bite some uncertain time in future. Good reason to buy extended warranty.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
      To my knowledge, there are 2 ingredients to cause the failure: moisture in the air system and below freezing temperatures. Not sure if moisture alone will cause failure (rust, etc.). But perhaps those living in warm climates won't have a problem. I made it through 2 winters before seeing a failure in the 3rd. Also, partial damage to the compressor seems to be indicated by a blown fuse. If you have fuse replaced before the compressor is inoperable, expect a compressor failure to be in your future.

Since having the new compressor installed, I hear a small puff of air from the rear passenger side when the vehicle unlocks. I can hear it when I'm unlocking and opening the hatch and also when I unlock the rear passenger door. The release of air is very brief and I never recall hearing this previously. Does anyone else with air notice this? I'm wondering if this somehow helps reduce condensation in the system.

Got it back yesterday and all they did was replace a fuse. Worked for a few hours, then of course the light is back on. I'm taking it back in this afternoon.

I own a MY04 Jaguar XJ8 that had air suspension, it failed. I went to a springs setup on it. Currently, car is doing great at 94,500 miles. Are there aftermarket spring kits for the XC90s? I bought mine MY18 T6 Inscription w/o the air suspension due to the Jaguar's experience and still bought an extended warranty from Steingold for all the computers in the car... I do love the air suspensions but the cost down the road is too costly especially on four corners. I may look into it if I get an S90 though since it's just two.

Quote Originally Posted by ejhc11 View Post
      I own a MY04 Jaguar XJ8 that had air suspension, it failed. I went to a springs setup on it. Currently, car is doing great at 94,500 miles. Are there aftermarket spring kits for the XC90s? I bought mine MY18 T6 Inscription w/o the air suspension due to the Jaguar's experience and still bought an extended warranty from Steingold for all the computers in the car... I do love the air suspensions but the cost down the road is too costly especially on four corners. I may look into it if I get an S90 though since it's just two.
      The issue we may run into is that the suspension design in the rear is very different between base and air suspension versions. The base uses a transverse leaf spring setup while the air suspension uses more traditional strut style. Not sure if the air suspension XC90 has all of the proper mount locations to use the base suspension as a replacement.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...ear-suspension
      2018 Volvo XC-90 R-Design package, Bursting Blue Metallic - grocery hauler and daily driver
      2016 Porsche GT4, Sapphire Blue Metallic - weekend and track toy

Quote Originally Posted by Nickshu View Post
      This thread is giving me flashbacks to my Range Rover, it's air suspension was constantly broken. I did opt for the air suspension on my 2018 order. Maybe I'll be buying an extended warranty.
      Panameras are known to have lots of air-suspension problems also. My Panamera 4 has it, and I've noticed that it doesn't work as well in cold weather. In future, I think I'll avoid cars with air suspension.

Final update (hopefully). Dealer replaced the compressor and all has been working for the past week. Keeping fingers crossed that holds for now. Still only have 4500 miles on the car and live in coastal AL, so cold shouldn’t have been an issue. Love the car otherwise.

My dealer still hasn't got my replacement parts in yet - expected next week.

QQ: what was the appointment duration - all day or 2 hours?
      2017 XC90 T6 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by Korben View Post
      My dealer still hasn't got my replacement parts in yet - expected next week.

QQ: what was the appointment duration - all day or 2 hours?
      Been reading this thread while my '16 xc90 was being repaired. After the initial suspension failure, took it back home and car became stuck in elevated position. went back, they diagnosed the fuse/compressor situation...gave me a bmw 330i rental (nice car, doesnt take to potholes very well). 7-10 days or so later, car is fixed and appears to be working fine. Seemed like a whole day's repair once the part came in (that was the main delay).

Whether or not they redesigned the compressor yet, idk. Even upgraded the entire software, and it does feel like the acceleration issue has been resolved. Will know in next few days.

If you're in the Toronto area, Volvo Lakeridge (Ajax) has a great service department.
      2016 XC90 R Design | Bursting Blue | 20" | Convenience, Climate, Vision, HUD, Polestar | Air Suspension | B&W | CarPlay

After posting that the suspension service light came back on after they just replaced the fuse, later that day the light went back off on it's own so I canceled my appointment to take it back in. Been a few days and the light is still off, so it seems just changing the fuse did the trick this time.

Add me to the list of air suspension compressor/fuse failure problems. I have a 2018 XC90 with 3000 miles and noticed a loud grinding noise in the rear. The suspension warning then came on. The dealer replaced the compressor and fuse. Is there a thread keeping up with how many of these failures there have been? Has there been an improvement in the compressor? Is there a way to report this to Volvo?

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast