Air Suspension Failure - Page 4
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      My warning light is back on again, and the dealer is saying it will continue to happen until Volvo comes out with a proper fix. Looks like I am stuck in the higher position that I think is associated with putting it in AWD.
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design. Onyx Black on Charcoal Nappa. Vision, Climate, Convenience, B&W, 4C Air Suspension, 22" Alloys.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Back in the shop to have the suspension service light resolved again. Got a T6 Inscription as a loaner, which also has the air suspension and only about 6,000 kms on the clock. First thing that happens as I drive away from the dealership is the suspension service required warning comes on. If they can't fix their own car, I have no confidence that they can fix mine.
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design. Onyx Black on Charcoal Nappa. Vision, Climate, Convenience, B&W, 4C Air Suspension, 22" Alloys.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelines View Post
      Back in the shop to have the suspension service light resolved again. Got a T6 Inscription as a loaner, which also has the air suspension and only about 6,000 kms on the clock. First thing that happens as I drive away from the dealership is the suspension service required warning comes on. If they can't fix their own car, I have no confidence that they can fix mine.
      Mind blown.

Perhaps you have an anti-air-suspension aura?
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by phillipu View Post
      Mind blown.

Perhaps you have an anti-air-suspension aura?
      They just called me to say that the car is fixed. Took it back to my original dealer, who claims that the other dealer didn't actually replace the compressor. They say that all cars which have had the compressor replaced don't have the issue again. I don't really believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelines View Post
      They just called me to say that the car is fixed. Took it back to my original dealer, who claims that the other dealer didn't actually replace the compressor. They say that all cars which have had the compressor replaced don't have the issue again. I don't really believe it.
      My dealer mentioned something is different with the compressor they replaced, but I'm not sure I believe it either. Seems too early to tell as mine failed in the 3rd winter. However, I do notice that my air system blows a small amount of air when I unlock the vehicle (from the rear passenger side of the vehicle). Not sure if this is somehow related to a 'fix' of the replaced part. I never noticed the sound of air being released previously.

Quote Originally Posted by GatorVolvo View Post
      My dealer mentioned something is different with the compressor they replaced, but I'm not sure I believe it either. Seems too early to tell as mine failed in the 3rd winter. However, I do notice that my air system blows a small amount of air when I unlock the vehicle (from the rear passenger side of the vehicle). Not sure if this is somehow related to a 'fix' of the replaced part. I never noticed the sound of air being released previously.
      Interesting, I will keep an eye / ear out for that change. I wonder if they are just banking on the weather being warmer now than the extreme cold we had when the problem materialized.

Finally got mine fixed and happy! Hooray for air suspension!
      2017 XC90 T6 Inscription

Backed out of the driveway today and heard a loud grinding sound from the rear, followed by the "Suspension Service Required" message on the panel. I have the air suspension on my 2018 XC90.

Have those of you who have gone through this had an acceptable resolution? If so, did the new compressor fix the problem and is there anything I should look out for once the dealer tells me it's fixed?

Quick related question:

My trunk button for raising and lowering the back of the car does nothing. I have disabled "easy entry" as to lower the stress on the 4C (I'm tall and don't need it to lower every time I get in/out).

Is this normal or should this feature in the trunk always be able to raise/Lower the vehicle? I have no warnings

Quote Originally Posted by krypttic View Post
      Backed out of the driveway today and heard a loud grinding sound from the rear, followed by the "Suspension Service Required" message on the panel. I have the air suspension on my 2018 XC90.

Have those of you who have gone through this had an acceptable resolution? If so, did the new compressor fix the problem and is there anything I should look out for once the dealer tells me it's fixed?
      I had mine replaced last winter. My understanding for the cause of failure is water vapor entering the system and freezing. This damages the compressor and will eventually cause it to fail. Mine has been fine since replacement, but I am not aware that the cause of failure has really been addressed. I've mentally prepared myself to pay for replacement once and then rely on free replacements thereafter.

Mine is a V90CC with rear air but this thread popped up on google and it sounds like similar issue just befell my much loved CC. Suspension Failure light came on, says stop car when safe. I thing felt out of the ordinary at all, but Volvo on call is arranging pickup and the long tow back to home dealer. Major pain in the keister as I’m 200 miles from home and have ski races to shuttle kids to all weekend and snowstorm about to hit. Perfect timing. At least Volvo on call was an absolute joy to work with, so other than the utter disaster to our travel plans, they are taking care of us as well as could be expected. I did notice that the compressor didn’t kick on when I stepped on the rear deck like it normally would, so I’m guessing compressor is dead or something related. I had all four airbags on my all road replaced twice. Hope this isn’t a repeat. Otherwise car has been great except a warrantied windshield and camera replacement last year. 2017 still under warranty fortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleman View Post
      Mine is a V90CC with rear air but this thread popped up on google and it sounds like similar issue just befell my much loved CC. Suspension Failure light came on, says stop car when safe. I thing felt out of the ordinary at all, but Volvo on call is arranging pickup and the long tow back to home dealer. Major pain in the keister as I’m 200 miles from home and have ski races to shuttle kids to all weekend and snowstorm about to hit. Perfect timing. At least Volvo on call was an absolute joy to work with, so other than the utter disaster to our travel plans, they are taking care of us as well as could be expected. I did notice that the compressor didn’t kick on when I stepped on the rear deck like it normally would, so I’m guessing compressor is dead or something related. I had all four airbags on my all road replaced twice. Hope this isn’t a repeat. Otherwise car has been great except a warrantied windshield and camera replacement last year. 2017 still under warranty fortunately.
      Mine failed a few weeks ago, just got it back, they replaced the compressor and compressor fuse. My XC90 now makes the telltale quiet humming from the back end when I open the driver door. Hopefully that means they've got a new improved part in there (that get's rid of the moisture)

+1 for the suspension failure, cold snap seems to have triggered it. 2016 model, warranty ran out 10k miles ago. Suspension is still lowering and raising, light goes out once vehicle has warmed up. Going to take it to the dealer and see if Volvo customer care will get involved - they've been extremely helpful in the past standing by their product.
      Can anyone confirm if there was a design change to the compressor to mitigate impacts of moisture?

There is a technical journal (TJ31423.11.0-2018-12-20) for "Suspension Compressor Fuse". My fuse blew the other day and triggered and error and the compressor just whirled but nothing happened. The error went away and the suspension was good again, but I brought it in anyways, and the service department performed the technical journal in the car, and changed out the compressor.

According to my service manager, they did make some improvement in the air suspension components every model year since 2016.

@.\me you should see if your dealership will perform the technical journal for you.
      Xavier (Baby Carrier): 2018 Bursting Blue XC90 T6 R-Design with Vision, Climate w/ HUD, Convenience, B&W, 4C, Carbon with P* on 22"
      Sebastian 2.0 (Fun Mobil): 2015 Crystal White Pearl V60 R-Design Platinum with BLIS Pkg, Climate Pkg & Tech Pkg
      Sebastian 1.0 (Sold): 2012 Caspian Blue S60 T6 with ABL, BLIS & Rear Camera.

Got my first suspension service required message this weekend where the temps got to -20C. Had it on AWD setting and when got home, suspension wouldn't lower itself so I guess it literally froze lol. Next day it went down but it never happened before. It was extremely cold though but still.
      Last edited by Brutus99; 01-21-2019 at 11:22 PM.
      2015 F150 LARIAT Sport 3.5L EcoBoost - Fully Loaded
      2016 XC90 T8 R-Design | Crystal White | Convenience | Vision | Climate with HUD | PA2 | Air Suspension | 22" Wheels | Carbon Fiber | Front Mud Flaps | OEM Rubber Floor Mats | Front Tint 35% | DashCam | 20" R-Design Wheels w/ Blizzak DMV2 | Ordered Feb 2/16 - Picked up June 7/16
      My Insta

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus99 View Post
      Got my first suspension service required message this weekend where the temps got to -20C. Had it on AWD setting and when got home, suspension wouldn't lower itself so I guess it literally froze lol. Next day it went down but it never happened before. It was extremely cold though but still.
      Mine did this too, didn't work once during a cold snap, then worked again for about 6 weeks, then failed completely. Keep an ear out for strange pump noises from the back of the 90, once those started it failed almost immediately. Pump and fuse replaced under warranty, only took them 8 hour or so, they must be good at this repair

Car is at the dealer, it's out of warranty, currently have a case open with Volvo, waiting for them to review and approve or deny. Thanks for the technical journal info, I understand that there is also a quality bulletin issued for the same issue but have no idea if the car is one of the impacted vin numbers or not. Common sense tells me it should be, we picked the car up from Gothenburg in Oct 15 and it matches all of the symptoms I've read about here.

Quote Originally Posted by fvultee View Post
      Mine did this too, didn't work once during a cold snap, then worked again for about 6 weeks, then failed completely. Keep an ear out for strange pump noises from the back of the 90, once those started it failed almost immediately. Pump and fuse replaced under warranty, only took them 8 hour or so, they must be good at this repair
      Interesting, I'm definitely keeping an eye on it!
      2015 F150 LARIAT Sport 3.5L EcoBoost - Fully Loaded
      2016 XC90 T8 R-Design | Crystal White | Convenience | Vision | Climate with HUD | PA2 | Air Suspension | 22" Wheels | Carbon Fiber | Front Mud Flaps | OEM Rubber Floor Mats | Front Tint 35% | DashCam | 20" R-Design Wheels w/ Blizzak DMV2 | Ordered Feb 2/16 - Picked up June 7/16
      My Insta

I was at a client's office the last couple of days and parked outside in -20C weather which is pretty common in my neck of the woods (damn northern Canada), and the suspension lowered and raised fine. I've had the car for about 1.5 years now and the only issue we've had in the winter is probably when the fuse blew on the compressor which was a technical journal.

Touchwood, you would think that Volvo being Swedish would've tested these parts in extreme conditions.
      Xavier (Baby Carrier): 2018 Bursting Blue XC90 T6 R-Design with Vision, Climate w/ HUD, Convenience, B&W, 4C, Carbon with P* on 22"
      Sebastian 2.0 (Fun Mobil): 2015 Crystal White Pearl V60 R-Design Platinum with BLIS Pkg, Climate Pkg & Tech Pkg
      Sebastian 1.0 (Sold): 2012 Caspian Blue S60 T6 with ABL, BLIS & Rear Camera.

The air suspension on my 2016 MY XC90 T8 also crapped out here in NY when the temps dropped below -10C. Stuck in high mode, so still driveable.
      2016 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription [Bright Silver/Amber] [Vision/Convenience/Climate/HUD/B&W/Air Suspension/Leather Dash]
      2017 Audi S7 Prestige [Tornado Gray/Black] [Driver Assist/Sport]

Update: They fixed the air suspension under warranty (I guess, they didn't charge me). The compressor failed, consistent with the discussions above regarding the new design of the compressor. It's about to get really cold again, so we'll see.
      2016 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription [Bright Silver/Amber] [Vision/Convenience/Climate/HUD/B&W/Air Suspension/Leather Dash]
      2017 Audi S7 Prestige [Tornado Gray/Black] [Driver Assist/Sport]

Just happened to me. Car was at the dealer for charging issues and the pump failed while it was there. Sitting out in the cold for two weeks might have been the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Current:
      Linna: 2017 Osmium Grey XC90 T8 R-Design Vision/Climate/Conv/Air/B&W/Booster
      Deceased:
      Inga: 2004 Titanium Gray/Gobi S60R - Navigation, ipd tune, hood vent, rear window spoiler
      Astrid: 2015.5 Sapphire Black/Nubuck XC60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum BLIS Climate Polestar

I just saw the suspension system repair message today what buzzer me most is i just have my service done yesterday, have to drive another 350km( round trip) to check the suspension

2017 T8 , Bursting blue, Black Interior , B/W, Convenience, Vision, Climate, HUD, 22s, Air Suspension, Protection pkg 23000KM

Quote Originally Posted by lxyzh View Post
      I just saw the suspension system repair message today what buzzer me most is i just have my service done yesterday, have to drive another 350km( round trip) to check the suspension

I am worried how air suspension could get replaced on cars in warm area that are not exposed to frozen climate, if it doesn't fail.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      I am worried how air suspension could get replaced on cars in warm area that are not exposed to frozen climate, if it doesn't fail.
      If it is not failing, why replace it?

2017 T8 , Bursting blue, Black Interior , B/W, Convenience, Vision, Climate, HUD, 22s, Air Suspension, Protection pkg 23000KM

Quote Originally Posted by lxyzh View Post
      If it is not failing, why replace it?

Because it is flawed parts, and may fail unexpectedly if you drive to frozen mountains on long trip, and cause big trouble.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus99 View Post
      Hi buddy, is yours ok now?

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Because it is flawed parts, and may fail unexpectedly if you drive to frozen mountains on long trip, and cause big trouble.
      I think if there is the technic journal, they should consider to replace them, at least you can try to say it failed one or more times to the dealership to draw the attention. Sadly they do not issue a recall for this.

Just had the same issue. Happened during the polar vortex here in chicago and I think that might of did it. Got a message saying lowered performance due to suspension. Took it in and they said that it was normal cause the moisture builds up and stiffens the suspension and I have to wait till it warms up. They reset it and sent me on my way. Its back to normal winter weather here so we will see how it will do. Funny thing is that when I picked it up in the morning it had said service suspension instead of the lowered performance and I mentioned it to them. They said itll do that cause of the cold and that the suspension is working normally...ya sure. Ill be back next week.

06 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro | JHM tuned |
      17 XC90 T8 R-Design | Crystal White | Vision | Climate | Convenience | 4C Air Suspension |

Just got mine back. Looks like it was the issue in the TJ. They replaced a fuse and the compressor. The service advisor said I was lucky it happened while the car was in for other work. He said hes seen other cars get stuck in the fully lowered position and need to get towed in.

Current:
      Linna: 2017 Osmium Grey XC90 T8 R-Design Vision/Climate/Conv/Air/B&W/Booster
      Deceased:
      Inga: 2004 Titanium Gray/Gobi S60R - Navigation, ipd tune, hood vent, rear window spoiler
      Astrid: 2015.5 Sapphire Black/Nubuck XC60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum BLIS Climate Polestar

Just got my car fixed. Compressor and fuse replaced per TJ.

06 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro | JHM tuned |
      17 XC90 T8 R-Design | Crystal White | Vision | Climate | Convenience | 4C Air Suspension |

I had first service (1st year) a few days ago. After this thread, I tried to convince the technician about changing my compressor. He checked in the database and verified that my car is in the age range affected by the problem (well known for Volvo), but told me he couldn't substitute the compressor without a previous CEL. I argued it was stupid to wait until I got stuck in the middle of nowhere, but no way.

When I picked up my car... voil ... the CEL about suspension was there! Incredible, what a coincidence! It seems at the dealer the car slept outdoors and just developed the problem.

Finally they changed the fuse and the car returned to normal, and in a few days they will receive the compressor that will be changed, although it is meanwhile working.

I don't understand why Volvo does not issue a recall for all units with this (possible) problem.
      Last edited by mdmd; 02-16-2019 at 02:28 AM.

Junior Member VolvoXC90Inscription's Avatar
      A NY garage car goes to VT (not for the first time though), stays overnight outside when it was 10-20 degrees, and guess what happens ). "Suspension failure". Initially got stuck at the easy entry mode, then after driving for a while, it gets stuck at off-road (front) and comfort (back) modes. I took it to the service today and the compressor will be changed (BTW my volvo service is so helpful). I told them about the post which made the point that the dryer should be also changed. I am not sure what will happen with the dryer. I will keep everybody updated but is there anybody who had problems recently after the compressor was changed to the newly designed one? Thanks
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription - Onyx Black - Vision & Convenience Packages - HUD - 4C Air Suspension - Center Booster Cushion - PA2 Upgrade - Intellisafe Support Upgrade
      2001 S40 1.9T - Gold - Cold Weather Package - Leather Seats - Power Driver Seat - Sunroof/Audio Package - Fog Lights

Anyone consider adding airbrake antifreeze into the lines?

I know it's a common thing to do in aftermarket airbag setup.

Taking our 2016 T6 inscription in Monday. Service suspension required alert on. All shocks already replaced few months ago. Now this and even better they found oil around turbo and said engine pistons and rings need replaced. Engine rebuild! Ugh

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast