Assistance with 2008 C70 Radio / No AM
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Assistance with 2008 C70 Radio / No AM

So the AM radio section quit, FM, Sirius, and CD changer all work; I have the high performance with 6 disc changer setup. I have read the "no AM" is a somewhat common occurrence and can be expensive to fix. Any suggestions on repair; any suggestions on interchange between models; from what I've read S40 (2004.5-2012), V50 (2004.5-2012), and C30 (2007-2013) use the same radio?? I have searched the C70 forum with no hits. Thanks for the assistance

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Those other models do use the same radio head units, but sadly it's not as simple as finding another one and swapping... the head unit is programmed to the vehicle, and will need to be reprogrammed to yours at a dealership... I'm sure I've seen a thread somewhere detailing the removal of the AM components from one unit to put them into another, but can't find it right now... posting in the hope of prodding someone else's memory

Joe - AM has been out in my 2007 C70 for about 5 years now...the dealer wanted a lot to fix it, so I passed. Kind of getting the itch now though, just want everything working on the car - even though I don't listen to AM

....curious to see if you ever fixed yours

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I had this problem when I bought my '08 V70 and even though I was not the original buyer Volvo fixed it free. The car had 31k miles on it at the time so it was under a 3 yr/36k warranty. It's a common problem with the radios that Mitsubishi made for Volvo. There is a bulletin that recommends a brass strap that makes a better connection to the antenna and it fixes the problem.

"REFERENCE:
      Service Bulletin 39-0018 and 39-0025

DESCRIPTION:
      Cases have been reported in which AM static will increase and maintain a higher level resulting in complaints of poor AM reception. The increase in AM static may be triggered by several reasons including: bumps in the road closing the doors. The AM static will stop by several reasons including:
      Central Door Lock activation rear defrost activation touching the trim covering the antenna amplifier.
      SERVICE:
      It has been determine the increase in AM static is due to a loose connection between the antenna amplifier and antenna cable. To improve the connection (and AM reception) this Tech Net Note provides instructions to install a brass strip Part Number 30657370."

As an aside, I recently bought a 6 disk cd changer on ebay to install in the my V70 and the AM radio didn't work...and the cd player didn't work either so I returned it for a refund. The FM and Aux worked fine and there was no software update needed.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Bill - I have the DynaAudio stereo and it doesn't work at all (so not a reception issue).....wierd that Volvo would have problems with both the Mitsu and DynaAudio radios......maybe Swedish folks don't care about listening to the radio while driving???

Since Road Trip resurrected this thread: If I understand the issue, the IAM module goes bad; what I find confusing is the location of the IAM module. It seems, from sites offering repair, is the IAM module is part of the CD changer; if that is the case, is the changer tied to the car? If the module is part of the display/head unit, is the display/head unit tied to the car? And just to clarrify, this is not a reception problem, the AM band is inop.

Joe7Bros, I'm not sure if I understand your question but just in case you don't know it, the head unit contains the cd changer and the radio. It's all mounted behind the cd slot and it's all in one piece. If you had a Dynaudio system then you would have an amplifier under the passenger seat and hifi speakers made by Dynaudio.

I can't post a picture but it looks like any dash mounted radio.

Sometimes the AM radio problem is related to the antenna cable connection to the back of the radio and sometimes it's elsewhere. There's an antenna amplifier between the actual antenna on the rear fender and the radio. I've never seen the antenna amp and I don't know where it is, but if all else fails then you'll want to find it to check connections there and to make sure it's still working.

Now you know as much as I do about it. Good luck!

PS- I found a picture of it: https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p.../30679343.html
      Last edited by billshoff; 03-13-2018 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by road trip View Post
      Joe - AM has been out in my 2007 C70 for about 5 years now...the dealer wanted a lot to fix it, so I passed. Kind of getting the itch now though, just want everything working on the car - even though I don't listen to AM

....curious to see if you ever fixed yours
      Same same with my 2008, cept I'm not getting the $itch$...
      Rapid Rick...I roll
      2008 C30 Matt Pearl Gold OSD-customized w/Elevate tune
      2015 V60 Seashell Metallic w/Platinum, BLIS, wood

Quote Originally Posted by Okidiver View Post
      Same same with my 2008, cept I'm not getting the $itch$...
      Hey Oki - I am in Tampa (South Tampa to be percise).....you spend part of the year here?

Quote Originally Posted by road trip View Post
      Hey Oki - I am in Tampa (South Tampa to be percise).....you spend part of the year here?
      South Tampa also, although I am typing this from Oahu now. Been kinda cool here and been getting drizzled on every day while at work up on the hill. Miserable weather...although I shouldn't complain about tropical trades with temps steadily in lower 70s and cloudy all the time--sure beats a Nor'easter...
      Rapid Rick...I roll
      2008 C30 Matt Pearl Gold OSD-customized w/Elevate tune
      2015 V60 Seashell Metallic w/Platinum, BLIS, wood

Quote Originally Posted by Okidiver View Post
      South Tampa also, although I am typing this from Oahu now. Been kinda cool here and been getting drizzled on every day while at work up on the hill. Miserable weather...although I shouldn't complain about tropical trades with temps steadily in lower 70s and cloudy all the time--sure beats a Nor'easter...
      Who do you like around here for working on your cars? I was thinking of using Rennen for some performance work

Bill, thanks for your reply, but no, not in my 08 C70; display unit is seperate from CD changer. AM problem is failure of IAM module, not a poor reception issue.

For those who may have been following this thread:

I replaced the CD changer in my 2008 C70 with a used unit from LKQ; works fine. As far as serialized to the car, Volvo will provide you with an unlock code, if necessary, at no cost; link - http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/webforms/RadioCode/ - . Additionally, the website will tell you if the unit you have requires an unlock code. So, if you are buying a used CD player, have the seller provide the VIN from the vehicle it came from, use Volvo's site to determine if it requires an unlock code, which you will get if needed, and go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe7Bros View Post
      For those who may have been following this thread:

I replaced the CD changer in my 2008 C70 with a used unit from LKQ; works fine. As far as serialized to the car, Volvo will provide you with an unlock code, if necessary, at no cost; link - http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/webforms/RadioCode/ - . Additionally, the website will tell you if the unit you have requires an unlock code. So, if you are buying a used CD player, have the seller provide the VIN from the vehicle it came from, use Volvo's site to determine if it requires an unlock code, which you will get if needed, and go for it.
      Joe - thanks for the info and , yes, my dealer diagnosed my issue as the IAM module....

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements