XC90s without Air Suspension in Dynamic/ Power Mode vs those with air suspensions
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

XC90s without Air Suspension in Dynamic/ Power Mode vs those with air suspensions

Folks with cars without air suspensions and have also test driven those with it, can they confirm is the suspension stiffens (as in becoming firmer) when Dynamic/ Power mode is chosen?

I'm just wondering what the difference in firmness would be for those without air-suspension and those with it when both are in Dynamic/ Power mode. I think those with air-suspension have much stiffer ride in Power mode than those without it. IT is my suspicion because Power mode sometimes becomes bumpy/ jumpy on uneven roads at higher speeds.
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Seti View Post
      Folks with cars without air suspensions and have also test driven those with it, can they confirm is the suspension stiffens (as in becoming firmer) when Dynamic/ Power mode is chosen?

I'm just wondering what the difference in firmness would be for those without air-suspension and those with it when both are in Dynamic/ Power mode. I think those with air-suspension have much stiffer ride in Power mode than those without it. IT is my suspicion because Power mode sometimes becomes bumpy/ jumpy on uneven roads at higher speeds.
      I'm pretty sure that the non-air suspension doesn't have adjustable damping. May be wrong, but I don't recall any advertising of the standard suspension having 4C or such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Current:
      Linnéa: 2017 Osmium Grey XC90 T8 R-Design Vision/Climate/Conv/Air/B&W/Booster
      Deceased:
      Inga: 2004 Titanium Gray/Gobi S60R - Navigation, ipd tune, hood vent, rear window spoiler
      Astrid: 2015.5 Sapphire Black/Nubuck XC60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum BLIS Climate Polestar

It does not stiffen. There is no possibility to mechanically or hydraulically adjust without the air suspension.
      2017/XC90/Osmium Grey T8 Inscription no B&W, no child pakket, no seat pakket and no Air suspension

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

But pre-airsuspensions, Jaguars (SType Rs and older XJRs used what Jag called CATS- compuer active technology system) and Beemers used adaptive suspension that could be hardened or stiffened by letting a charge go to the dampers and the oil would then harden or become denser (therefore stiffen suspension) or soften. This way, the shocks we able to offer stiffness(hardness) or hardness required demepending on driver's speed.

I thought XV90s without air suspension would also make use of a similar technology.
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

Quote Originally Posted by Seti View Post
      But pre-airsuspensions, Jaguars (SType Rs and older XJRs used what Jag called CATS- compuer active technology system) and Beemers used adaptive suspension that could be hardened or stiffened by letting a charge go to the dampers and the oil would then harden or become denser (therefore stiffen suspension) or soften. This way, the shocks we able to offer stiffness(hardness) or hardness required demepending on driver's speed.

I thought XV90s without air suspension would also make use of a similar technology.

I think the non air suspension is just coil/struts. I test drove both and the salesman say it doesn't do anything to the suspension, drive mode only changes how the throttle/transmission response.

I wouldn't want this car if air suspension wasn't an option.
      MY17 XC90 Inscription T6 Polestar | Crystal Pearl White/Blonde on 21"s, 4C Suspension,Climate + HUD, Vision, Convenience, B/W

Between the comfort mode and the dynamic mode, I can't tell the difference with my air suspension. I do notice that the ride height is lower when in dynamic mode, but ride quality (softness) seems to be the same.
      2006 XC70 (traded for XC60)
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD (traded for XC90)
      2018 XC90 T6 Momentum + Maple Brown metallic/amber leather, air suspension, (picked up at dealer 6/22/17)
      Added Polestar 10/26/17

I have the standard suspension, Dynamic mode does nothing to my suspension.
      (Hers) Current Ride - 2017 XC60 T6 AWD
      ( His ) Current Ride - 2016 XC90 T6 AWD

(Hers) Past Rides - 93 244, 05 XC90, 15.5 XC60
      ( His ) Past Rides - 91 745, 05 S40 T5 FWD

Quote Originally Posted by gsb4522 View Post
      Between the comfort mode and the dynamic mode, I can't tell the difference with my air suspension. I do notice that the ride height is lower when in dynamic mode, but ride quality (softness) seems to be the same.
      That's interesting, I can do a blind test and be able to tell.

I did this to decide between air or no air and was able to identify which one had air hence we knew we had to have air suspensions.
      MY17 XC90 Inscription T6 Polestar | Crystal Pearl White/Blonde on 21"s, 4C Suspension,Climate + HUD, Vision, Convenience, B/W

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements