2018 S90 Assembled in China
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2018 S90 Assembled in China

Hello Everyone!

I am currently on a market to lease a new car.
      S90 was (and still is, I think) my primary choice.
      I am a little hesitant (or some nights even more than that). Almost all of S90 have been assembled in China.
      1.For those of you who already have one (from that China assembly plant) any issues with a car?
      2. For those of you who are planning to have one, how big is a "China Assembly Fear Factor" ?

Thank you very much for any input.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I know I was disappointed when I learned my '02 BMW 325i was being assembled in South Africa. I can't say I had any issues related to assembly quality.

Also, I don't think '18 S90s were assembled in China, I believe that starts with '18. Just get a V90, those are still made in Sweden

Well, I am about to sign a lease, via one of flourishing nowadays Leasing Companies. The guy is saying - Final Assembly Plant - China. I will confirm that when they deliver a car to my driveway

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

If you can get a VIN, that will tell you.

'18 S90s are assembled in China and is very easy too tell. First the rear seat room is much bigger. Second the rear mid seat/arm reset are much better than '17 standard wheel-base model.
      You don't need a VIN to check it.

Again, assembled in China does not mean quality is not the same. If indeed you can tell some difference, it could even be better.

Volvo experts from Sweden were 100% involved in getting the plant designed and built and staffed and trained and overseeing quality. Same thing is happening in the USA with Volvo's newest plant. You should have zero issues with quality concerns.
      2017 S90 T6 AWD Inscription w/Polestar (my 1st Volvo)/ Black Onyx/Amber; Climate; HUD; Convenience; Vision; 20" Wheels; Metallic Paint; Spoiler; Polestar; 2018 Honda Accord 1.5T Touring (replaced my lemon '16 Sonata PHEV)

While I'm not necessarily in favor of Euro brands moving manufacturing to China, I don't think the Chinese people are incapable of producing a quality product. I think it is the Chinese manufacturers looking to make a quick buck that give their products a bad reputation. A well managed factory in China can make cars as well as they can anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by smc View Post
      While I'm not necessarily in favor of Euro brands moving manufacturing to China, I don't think the Chinese people are incapable of producing a quality product. I think it is the Chinese manufacturers looking to make a quick buck that give their products a bad reputation. A well managed factory in China can make cars as well as they can anywhere.
      Indeed. While a cell phone isn't a car, China certainly can produce quality iPhones...at a rate of 10 per second!

Quote Originally Posted by goVolvo View Post
      '18 S90s are assembled in China and is very easy too tell. First the rear seat room is much bigger. Second the rear mid seat/arm reset are much better than '17 standard wheel-base model.

Again, assembled in China does not mean quality is not the same. If indeed you can tell some difference, it could even be better.
      We've driven a number of Chinese-made S60 Inscriptions and they've been flawless.
      2016 XC70 2.5L T5 AWD, Platinum, ipd rear bar, Curt hitch
      Previous Volvos: '16 V60CC, '68 122S Wagon

I concur, the plant is governed by volvo management, hence QA and QC will not let shoddy workmanship get by. Volvo wouldn't survive if that happened.
      -
      - XC60 T5 Drive-E MY-2015.5 Savile Grey Platinum w/ BLIS, Blond/Black Sport seats, Heated front. OSD -

Quote Originally Posted by ranorov View Post
      Hello Everyone!

I am currently on a market to lease a new car.
      S90 was (and still is, I think) my primary choice.
      I am a little hesitant (or some nights even more than that). Almost all of S90 have been assembled in China.
      1.For those of you who already have one (from that China assembly plant) any issues with a car?
      2. For those of you who are planning to have one, how big is a "China Assembly Fear Factor" ?

Thank you very much for any input.
      Not an issue. The S60 Inscriptions have been made in China for a couple of years now. No issues with quality. We have delivered several 18 S90's, their owners love them.

I think the main point of contention is that moving to China HURTS the Volvo Brand. Even having a plant in the USA. These decisions eliminate the "wow factor" for those loving an OSD and the Euro Brand.

Per the quality, time will tell what happens under Geely. Sounds like a bad move to add "Made in China" to the label. I'm sure the Chinese ARE capable of quality with strict manufacturing standards put into place. However, China's overall track record laves a lot to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      I think the main point of contention is that moving to China HURTS the Volvo Brand. Even having a plant in the USA. These decisions eliminate the "wow factor" for those loving an OSD and the Euro Brand.

Per the quality, time will tell what happens under Geely. Sounds like a bad move to add "Made in China" to the label. I'm sure the Chinese ARE capable of quality with strict manufacturing standards put into place. However, China's overall track record laves a lot to be desired.
      BMW and Mercedes build cars in the US and have for ages. Not many complain that this diminishes their brand. That being said, one of the reasons I went for the 2017 S90 is the final assembly point. That and the length. I firmly believe that if I am getting a 60k sedan, it should not be made in China. Volvo can frame it any way they want but it's a clear cost cutting measure to avoid expensive Swedish labor.
      2017 Volvo S90 T6 Momentum AWD (Crystal White Pearl Metallic) w. Momentum Plus, Convenience, Vision, and 19' 5-Triple Spoke Tech Matte Black Diamond Cut Alloy Wheels

2018 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300 4MATIC AMG Line

Past: 2015.5 Volvo S60 T5 AWD Platinum, 2015 S60 T5 FWD Platinum

Per the quality, time will tell what happens under Geely. Sounds like a bad move to add "Made in China" to the label. I'm sure the Chinese ARE capable of quality with strict manufacturing standards put into place. However, China's overall track record leaves a lot to be desired.
      Better "Made in China" than closed and shuttered or shrunk....think "Saab." Geely has invested the equivalent of over $10B in Volvo. Had that not happened, I suspect I would not have had such a nice S90 today. And, while not allowed, I definitely would have considered the "China Overseas Delivery" if it was offered.
      2017 S90 T6 AWD Inscription w/Polestar (my 1st Volvo)/ Black Onyx/Amber; Climate; HUD; Convenience; Vision; 20" Wheels; Metallic Paint; Spoiler; Polestar; 2018 Honda Accord 1.5T Touring (replaced my lemon '16 Sonata PHEV)

Get over it. Our Boxster was made in Finland. Somebody else's BMW was made by rednecks in South Carolina. Some of the best Hondas ever made were built in Ohio. And so on. (Oh, and by the way, it cost me $3,000 to replace the Boxster's crap intermediate shaft bearing, the infamous Porsche flaw affecting tens of thousands of Boxsters and 911s, designed by some genius German engineer wearing a white shopcoat in Stuttgart. I think the Chinese probably would have done a better job.)

it is the Chinese manufacturers looking to make a quick buck that give their products a bad reputation.
      It's not the Chinese manufacturers, it's the U. S. importers--the Walmarts and Targets and Harbor Freights--who demand $30 floorlamps, $98 chainsaws and $9.98 socket-wrench sets. The Chinese manufacturers simply say, "That's what you want? We can give you that. It'll be made of Chinesium, but that's your problem."

The importers who insist on strict quality control and pay for it get...well, Volvos.

Quote Originally Posted by stepwilk View Post
      Get over it. Our Boxster was made in Finland. Somebody else's BMW was made by rednecks in South Carolina. Some of the best Hondas ever made were built in Ohio.
      Finland != China. Best Hondas were built in Japan; see: S2000 vs. POS Made in USA Civic (of which 've both owned)

Chinese LCD TV, iphone, clothing, shoes, chopsticks, no problemo, and I'd absolutely buy a Chinese S90, at $30K OTD, not at whatever the new MSRP for a '17 S90. The fear isn't a fear, it's reality. Google "China high speed train crashes". New Chinese passenger jet? NO WAY NO HOW; GTFOUTTA HERE.

Source: native Mandarin speaker; eats rice with every meal, prefers soy sauce over ketchup.

As I sat in the first 2018 S90 delivered to my dealer, I remarked that the new car smell was subtly different: I seemed to detect a slight whiff of chow mein...
      Current: 2020 V60 T5 FWD, Denim Blue/Blonde, Momentum, Multimedia, Premium, Advanced, Heated Seats & Steering Wheel, 19" Five Spoke Cut Rims
      Current: 2018 V90 T5 FWD, Mussel Blue/Charcoal, Inscription, Dark Flame Birch, Convenience, no B&W, HUD, Leather Dash, Black Headliner, Heated Steering Wheel
      Past: 2017 S90 T5 FWD;2 x 2015.5 V60 Drive-E T5 FWD; 2012 XC70 T6 AWD; 2012 S60 T5; 2010 V70 3.2; 2008 S40 T5; 2007 V50 T5; 1981 245 DL

Quote Originally Posted by volvobuff View Post
      As I sat in the first 2018 S90 delivered to my dealer, I remarked that the new car smell was subtly different: I seemed to detect a slight whiff of chow mein...
      mine smelled like beer and wurst, I think many parts sourced from the fatherland!
      Present rides:
      17 Volvo V90CC T6, Convenience, 20" rims, B&W, Polestar (wife's ride)
      16 Audi TT
      Gone but not forgotten: 1988 240DL, 1993 940, 1999 XC70, 2003 XC70, 2009 XC70, 2013 XC70

Actually there's one thing, aside from QC that I wonder about with Chinese manufacture of the S90 (Mine's due in December) - the quality of the steel. I don't know if it'll be sourced from the same place as the European ones or not and different countries seem to have different qualities of steel in my experience, or it could just be down to thickness... Then again I'm not even sure where mine's being built as I'm in the UK and won't get the stretched version China and the US will have (I think!).

Yes, steel can be sourced from different places, but the specs are certainly well defined and easily verified. Outside of "cheating", it's certainly not in Geely's best interest to let things slide.

Quote Originally Posted by murrays View Post
      Yes, steel can be sourced from different places, but the specs are certainly well defined and easily verified. Outside of "cheating", it's certainly not in Geely's best interest to let things slide.
      Imagine if a chinese made Volvo failed crash testing... their $11B investment would disappear.
      -
      - XC60 T5 Drive-E MY-2015.5 Savile Grey Platinum w/ BLIS, Blond/Black Sport seats, Heated front. OSD -

Quote Originally Posted by stepwilk View Post
      Get over it. Our Boxster was made in Finland. Somebody else's BMW was made by rednecks in South Carolina. Some of the best Hondas ever made were built in Ohio. And so on. (Oh, and by the way, it cost me $3,000 to replace the Boxster's crap intermediate shaft bearing, the infamous Porsche flaw affecting tens of thousands of Boxsters and 911s, designed by some genius German engineer wearing a white shopcoat in Stuttgart. I think the Chinese probably would have done a better job.)
      Volvo S60 will be made in South Carolina too.
      Disgruntled Volvo Technician & Owner.

DO NOT PM me with your car questions.

DO NOT GO INTO THE CAR BUSINESS.

I am sure Volvo will have strict safety standards. The problem is the Chinese are well known for cutting corners, circumnavigating safety protocols, and using inferior products. I.E. I would be very skeptical of Chinese made steel. Regulations in China, even if the specs are uniform, lack uniformity. Think of the U.S. Government getting duped and using knock off parts in our Military Equipment. Yes that REALLY HAPPENED!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-18155293

I am sure Volvo will have strict safety standards. The problem is the Chinese are well known for cutting corners, circumnavigating safety protocols, and using inferior products. I.E. I would be very skeptical of Chinese made steel. Regulations in China, even if the specs are uniform, lack uniformity. Think of the U.S. Government getting duped and using knock off parts in our Military Equipment. Yes that REALLY HAPPENED!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-18155293
      Suppliers certainly have that issue. The majority of part sourcing likely has not changed much from the Gotenberg built S90 and Chinese built S90. Volvo will have the same PPAP and QC systems in place for this factory versus their other factories. Working at an OEM I have had issues with both domestic and Chinese suppliers making unauthorized changes that sadly make it to the customer as any OEM does. Good QC systems limit this. I don't expect much difference between Chinese and Swedish built cars because the parts are likely sourced from the same places. The only difference I might expect would be very minor fit and finish issues. FWIW, my Swedish-built S90 does have a couple (very minor) fit and finish issues, but I did not expect perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by event View Post
      Suppliers certainly have that issue. The majority of part sourcing likely has not changed much from the Gotenberg built S90 and Chinese built S90. Volvo will have the same PPAP and QC systems in place for this factory versus their other factories. Working at an OEM I have had issues with both domestic and Chinese suppliers making unauthorized changes that sadly make it to the customer as any OEM does. Good QC systems limit this. I don't expect much difference between Chinese and Swedish built cars because the parts are likely sourced from the same places. The only difference I might expect would be very minor fit and finish issues. FWIW, my Swedish-built S90 does have a couple (very minor) fit and finish issues, but I did not expect perfection.
      I hope you are correct. I'd hate to see the Volvo Brand go to Hell under Geely.

It seems that, at least so far, the opposite has happened.

Can't be worse than when it was under Ford right? The sunroof of our S60 leaked and the driver door wouldn't close properly so it would pop open when the vehicle was in motion. Though the door issue may have been caused by a door guard, which we had on since day 1.
      2000 Volvo S70 SE; First Owner; 321k km; Retired
      2012A Volvo S60 T5 Level II; GONE!

Acura TLX SH-AWD with Tech Owner's Thread. Geokilla's Mini-blog.

Quote Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
      Can't be worse than when it was under Ford right? The sunroof of our S60 leaked and the driver door wouldn't close properly so it would pop open when the vehicle was in motion. Though the door issue may have been caused by a door guard, which we had on since day 1.
      I think Volvos still suffer from the sunroof leaking issue. There are plenty of threads where people complain about the issue.

Ford was to Volvo as Sears is to Kmart.....But never say never...Things can ALWAYS get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by goVolvo View Post

Well that's untrue, the S90 production moved to China in May this year. There is no difference to rear leg room. The LWB S90 is now standard in the USA but the rest of the world still get the standard WB model.

Quote Originally Posted by mzcool View Post
      BMW and Mercedes build cars in the US and have for ages. Not many complain that this diminishes their brand. That being said, one of the reasons I went for the 2017 S90 is the final assembly point. That and the length. I firmly believe that if I am getting a 60k sedan, it should not be made in China. Volvo can frame it any way they want but it's a clear cost cutting measure to avoid expensive Swedish labor.

Typical American narrow minded racist bull**** comment. Like Americans know how to build cars, produced some of the biggest piles of rubbish ever!

I think you incorrectly assume that the Swedish assembled cars are built by all Swedes (See Open Borders Europe).

Like many have alluded to here, the entire supply chain and assembly process is managed by Volvo to the same strict standards globally. Much of the assembly process is automated anyway, so they could practically "plug and play" these factories anywhere near a safe port with good infrastructure.

Regardless, having known many people from the PRC, including my ex-wife, I would rate the average Chinese capability of adhering to a strict and complex manufacturing process above most.

Your biggest concern should be the complex engine and supporting systems, including software, running this car longer term (Euro engineered). But Man, you're leasing, so what do you have to worry about? Get the car.
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current
      ’18 V90 T6 AWD R-Design | '18 V90 CC T6 AWD Ocean Race Edition
      '05 CLK55 AMG Vert

Prior Volvo's
      '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 ORE Plat | '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat |’07 S40 T5

As it has been going to Hell ever since Geely purchased Volvo from Ford (don't get me started with that sort of "hell" that Volvo almost ended up in...)

I have been around/associated with the brand since 1994...I have seen ups and downs...Since 2010, I can unequivocally tell you that the company has flourished and it has never been more independent and technologically advanced.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

The problem is the Chinese are well known for cutting corners, circumnavigating safety protocols, and using inferior products.
      Chinese (and other foreign) owned and operated companies may do that, but not as much as they used to and usually only on knockoff products and such these days. And you generally get what you pay for. Whether it's a $1,000 iPhone or a $60,000 Volvo, it isn't going to have the quality of a $30 myPhone knockoff or $5,000 Chinese economy car.
      Last edited by matt1122; 08-30-2017 at 04:36 PM.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

Quote Originally Posted by murrays View Post
      Indeed. While a cell phone isn't a car, China certainly can produce quality iPhones...at a rate of 10 per second!
      Well, a cell phone is not a car and ball bearing is not a cell phone...

06 V70R Sonicap
      surf/skate/snow/smile-mobile
      16 XC90 fam-mobile

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast