Replacement tires for XC90
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Replacement tires for XC90

The Continental tires that came on our XC90 are in need of replacing. They have been fine but nothing special. Has anyone found a replacement tire that they really like? I tried to look for an old thread on this but nothing popped up. Thanks.
      2012 C70
      2016 XC90 T6

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

On the last gen XC90's, one of the options we've settled on is the Nokian WRG3 SUV tires for All-Season use. Has anyone tried these on the latest XC90? If you're wanting to, TiresByWeb is offering the lowest prices I could find when I just ordered some last week.
      2004 V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2006 & 2007 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R, 1999 F250 Powerstroke, 2005 TSX, 1997 Bonneville, 1998 Concorde

you 90 came with Contis? odd...I thought they were all Pirellis.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      you 90 came with Contis? odd...I thought they were all Pirellis.
      It depends on the trim level: by default, Momentum get 19" Continentals, while Inscription and RD get 20/21" Pirellis.
      2018 XC90 T8 AWD Momentum Plus, Denim Blue, convenience, air suspension, B&W, HUD, etc
      2005 S60 2.5T AWD (OSD) Platinum Green, Premium, Convenience, Climate, Bi-Xenon, etc
      Previous:
      2016 XC90 T6 AWD (OSD) Momentum Plus, Magic Blue, vision, convenience, air suspension, B&W, HUD, etc
      2004 XC90 T6 AWD (gone but not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by ig_mb View Post
      It depends on the trim level: by default, Momentum get 19" Continentals, while Inscription and RD get 20/21" Pirellis.
      I think they changed Inscription (at least in Europe). When we order our '17 Inscription we get 20" Michelin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pirelli's stink in my opinion. When we are ready for tire change, I will go with Michelin. I think that is what they should have put on the XC90s to begin with. They are better and quieter.
      2017 XC90 Momentum + w/ Polestar & PAII / Osmium Grey, Blond/Charcoal Int. / Conv. Pkg / Vision Pkg. /20" Rims
      2017 XC90 Momentum + w/ Polestar & PAII / Black Onyx Metallic, Blond/Charcoal Int. / Conv. Pkg. / Vision Pkg. / 20" Rims

Not a fan of the Pirelli's here. Loud and ride rough. Hoping to change to Michelin Premiere LTX tires based on tirerack.com reviews and feedback from another forum member (this subject came up a couple weeks ago, too).

The tires that came with my gen-1 XC90 had some Michelins which had a very short life: they had to be replaced at around 20K.
      When it needed new tires (roughly 20K miles later), we switched to a different Michelin model with a much higher threadwear that lasted much longer.

The MY16 XC90 came with Continentals CrossContact LX Sport, threadware 480. They are holding up ok for 20K miles but I'm thinking that I may replace them with some other brand when it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by daneo View Post
      Not a fan of the Pirelli's here. Loud and ride rough. Hoping to change to Michelin Premiere LTX tires based on tirerack.com reviews and feedback from another forum member (this subject came up a couple weeks ago, too).
      they probably went with Pirellis because Michelins would be $500+ a tire in this size.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

I have read the reviews on Pirellis in Tirerack and they are all over the map. So far my 275X45 R20 Pirellis Scorpions seem to have low road noise. We'll see how well they wear in a few months since I only have 2K on them at the moment.
      2006 XC70 (traded for XC60)
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD (traded for XC90)
      2018 XC90 T6 Momentum + Maple Brown metallic/amber leather, air suspension, (picked up at dealer 6/22/17)
      Added Polestar 10/26/17

For my XC90, when I changed the tire from Pirellis to Michelins, the improvement is so noticeable and I think the improvement justify the extra cost.
      2016 Volvo XC90 Osmium Grey
      2002 Saab 9-5 Arc 3.0t

Quote Originally Posted by KurosuHa View Post
      For my XC90, when I changed the tire from Pirellis to Michelins, the improvement is so noticeable and I think the improvement justify the extra cost.
      Which Michelins did you go with, the Premier LTX by any chance?
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription (OSD March 2016) Electric Silver/Charcoal, Matte Tech Black 234 Wheels, Convenience, Vision, Polestar, Intellisafe Upgrade (PA2)
      2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
      1999 Acura NSX Alex Zanardi Edition 32/50

My 2017 T5 Momentum came with the Pirellis and they seem fine wrt wet and dry road handling, and so far they ride smoothly with no obvious problems. I don't know how to evaluate whether they are loud, or whether they ride hard, because i have nothing to compare them to. Or am I missing something, a way to know those things?

In the past I've also had a hard time even comparing tires when I've replaced them because I'm always replacing worn tires with new ones, the new ones always seem better! It seems like the only objective way to test tires would be to "A-B" them on the same car at the same time. Here is a Tire rack comparison where they do just that: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...rde+All+Season

It seems to me that if I were Volvo, or any car manufacturer, the last thing I would want to do would be to disappoint my customers by selecting the wrong tire after spending so much on R&D on the vehicle itself. I can see where Volvo might prioritize something different than any particular Volvo owner, comfort over handling, something like that but I cant help but think that they must have chosen the Pirellis for a reason? It would be nice if they let us in on their reasoning.
      ”Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.”

Our 16 T6 Inscription came with Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season which isn't available anymore. Pirelli has a new version named "Scorpion Verde All Season Plus" with 740 treadwear which is cheaper (over $100 compared to Michelin LTX - 620 treadwear) and has better reviews compared to the original. Pretty much all tires are quiet for the first couple of thousand miles so it's not a great comparison when you have 20k miles on Pirellis and 200 miles on Michelin or Continental tires.

When it's time to switch, I'll likely give the new Pirellis a try. The current tires still have plenty of tread left at 21k miles.

Thanks for all the replies. I found some Yokohama tires for a decent price that got good reviews. Anyone have any experience with Yokohama? I put Michelin tires on my C70 (XC90 is my wife's) when the factory tires wore out and I have really liked them. Sounds like most others have had a good experience with Michelin too.
      2012 C70
      2016 XC90 T6

Quote Originally Posted by Row57 View Post
      Our 16 T6 Inscription came with Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season which isn't available anymore. Pirelli has a new version named "Scorpion Verde All Season Plus" with 740 treadwear which is cheaper (over $100 compared to Michelin LTX - 620 treadwear) and has better reviews compared to the original. Pretty much all tires are quiet for the first couple of thousand miles so it's not a great comparison when you have 20k miles on Pirellis and 200 miles on Michelin or Continental tires.

When it's time to switch, I'll likely give the new Pirellis a try. The current tires still have plenty of tread left at 21k miles.
      It sounds like you are about 6K miles ahead of me.......let me know when your originals give out and what you go to!!! TIA
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4/2012) Ember Black/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

2016 XC90 T6 (OSD 5/2016) Crystal White Pearl/Amber/Black l Momentum Plus,Vision,Convenience l 20" Alloy wheels/Wood steering wheel/Child booster seat/Black headliner/PA II

My 2018 came with Pirelli Scorpion Verde. Don't see the plus anywhere on the sidewall. I believe my 2006 XC70 came with Pirelli tires and as I recall I got about 33K out of them. Of course that was with a lighter car than the XC90. My 2016 XC60 came with Michelin and they had about another 5K or so left on them with 22K miles when I traded the XC60. If I can get close to 30K on the Pirellis I will be happy.
      2018 XC90 T6 Momentum + Maple Brown metallic/amber leather, air suspension, (picked up at dealer 6/22/17)
      Added Polestar 10/26/17

Apparently the "Plus" for "Scorpion Verde All Season Plus" denotes an aftermarket replacement version of the tire. But that's good since - "Pirelli said the new product offers 20-percent lower rolling resistance, 40-percent longer tread life and 7-percent lower road noise generation than the existing A/S version. Pirelli is offering a limited 65,000-mile treadwear warranty." - http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/...rpion-verde-as

I'm assuming we can get at least 35k out of these tires which means they might get replaced around May 2018 at the earliest as tires are something I replace preemptively Also, we've never had a tire rotation with no noticeable wear patterns or damage so that might have something to do with out decent treadwear.

I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports. They were changed nearly after delivery.

If you want, you should have a look at some EU tyre labels as they rate noise, economy and wet performance.

Quote Originally Posted by XC90TODD View Post
      Which Michelins did you go with, the Premier LTX by any chance?
      I switched from Continental tires to the Michelin Premier LTX on my Mercedes-Benz GLK350. They were not quiet than the Continentals, but they were SO much better in snow and seemed to be ewearing much better. I bought the GLK as a CPO, 9 months old with 20,000 miles on it. They had just replaced the two rear tires to prep it for sale, and the fronts needed replacement well before I actually took them in to swap them out around 40,000 miles. The Michelin tires have something like a 620 treadware rating, which is much better than the tires they replaced, and still looked almost new when I traded the car in 10,000 miles and 1.5 years later. When it comes time to switch the tires on my XC90, I will get the Michelins. The 19's for my Mercedes were't more than $210 per tire and that was when the LTX was pretty new. I can't see them being too much more for the 20 inch tires when the time comes.
      HIS: 2018 XC90 T6 Inscription/Denim Blue Metallic/Amber nappa leather/Polestar/B&W/Convenience/Air Suspension/HUD/Climate/Protection Package
      HERS: 2017 BMW X1 xDrive 28i/Olive Metallic/Canberra/Tech/Premium/Driving Assistance Plus/Cold Weather Package/Harman Kardan audio

Ended up going with Michelin premier LTX tires. $900 out the door from Costco. Very impressed so far. They are much quieter than the Continentals they replaced. The car is now as quiet as I always thought it should be. Ride is very smooth and they felt great in a downpour today.
      2012 C70
      2016 XC90 T6

Bumping this old thread. I have MY18 XC90 with 17K. It looks like the OEM Continental 235/55 R19 load index 105 are getting close to 4/32" left.

Looks like MICHELIN PREMIER LTX only comes with load index 101 in that size. It's a drop in load but then again I don't think gross weight is anywhere close.

The other tire I'm looking at is SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS.

Any comments?

Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
      Bumping this old thread. I have MY18 XC90 with 17K. It looks like the OEM Continental 235/55 R19 load index 105 are getting close to 4/32" left.

Looks like MICHELIN PREMIER LTX only comes with load index 101 in that size. It's a drop in load but then again I don't think gross weight is anywhere close.

The other tire I'm looking at is SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS.

Any comments?
      Just looking at the TireRack ratings, it seems Pirelli A/S Plus has an edge on “tread” over Michelin LTX but the tread warranties are 65K and 60K respectively.

Michelin LTXs have the edge from a “comfort” perspective in terms of both ride and noise.

I can’t speak to the “load index” issue as I have and I have a T8 with R20 and I don’t know enough about it to comment.

I am definitely leaning Michelin even though they have a $30/tire premium. I tend to have buyer’s remorse when given the opportunity to buy the Michelin’s. I continue evaluating winters v. A/S which have the greatest versatility as I head for retirement.

Check out Chil8tr’s post 13 above and the TireRack link if you haven’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

I have never had a set of Pirelli tires that I liked or would buy again.

Pirelli Scorpions came stock on 20" wheeled XC90's, mine lasted 23K and were toast, dealer said "yeah that's about all we see people get out of them".

I replaced them with Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06's (not the cheaper Continentals) and have been pleased w/ the ride so far. I have had 2 sets of these exact tires (in a different size) on our S60 and have been very pleased w/ them.

I've always had mixed success with Michelins.
      Dailys: 2015 S60 T6 R-Design w/ Polestar - Passion Red / 2019 Ford F-150 Raptor / 2019 VW Golf R 6MT (On order)
      Fun: 2004 Porsche 911 GT3 (Trailered track monster)
      Prior Cars of Note - 2018 XC90 T8 RD, 2013 C70, 2004 V40, 2005 Lotus Elise S/C, 2003 Porsche 911 C2, 1982 Porsche 911SC, 1995 Range Rover County LWB, 1964 Corvair Spyder convertible, A Bunch of Saabs
      Quote: "Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers" -Colin McRae

Quote Originally Posted by Nickshu View Post
      I have never had a set of Pirelli tires that I liked or would buy again.

Pirelli Scorpions came stock on 20" wheeled XC90's, mine lasted 23K and were toast, dealer said "yeah that's about all we see people get out of them".

I replaced them with Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06's (not the cheaper Continentals) and have been pleased w/ the ride so far. I have had 2 sets of these exact tires (in a different size) on our S60 and have been very pleased w/ them.

I've always had mixed success with Michelins.
      The Pirelli Scorpion Plus has a better rating that the OEM non-Plus version and a a 60K warranty according to TireRack. This is the one I am considering.

I excluded the OEM Conti’s because of the reported road noise. Is the Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06 an upgrade (with a 50K warranty) of the OEM Conti? How is the road noise?

Bummer about your mixed experiences with Michelin’s.

2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      The Pirelli Scorpion Plus has a better rating that the OEM non-Plus version and a a 60K warranty according to TireRack. This is the one I am considering.

I excluded the OEM Conti’s because of the reported road noise. Is the Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06 an upgrade (with a 50K warranty) of the OEM Conti? How is the road noise?

Bummer about your mixed experiences with Michelin’s.

Yes the DWS06 is a much better tire than the cheaper Conti's. It's one of the top rated tires on TireRack for various SUVs the XC90 included.

Tires with longer treadlife are generally going to be harder compound hence more road noise. That's one reason the stock Pirelli Scorpions are very quiet but don't last long.
      Dailys: 2015 S60 T6 R-Design w/ Polestar - Passion Red / 2019 Ford F-150 Raptor / 2019 VW Golf R 6MT (On order)
      Prior Cars of Note - 2018 XC90 T8 RD, 2013 C70, 2004 V40, 2005 Lotus Elise S/C, 2003 Porsche 911 C2, 1982 Porsche 911SC, 1995 Range Rover County LWB, 1964 Corvair Spyder convertible, A Bunch of Saabs
      Quote: "Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers" -Colin McRae

Now that my OEM Pirelli tires are reaching the end of their tread life, I too am considering the Continental DWS06 tires for replacement.
      Added Polestar 10/26/17

Only Michelin’s for me. I’d much rather give up 5K-10K miles of longevity in order to have a tyre on the car that has excellent handling in both wet and dry conditions and that is fairly quiet and easy to balance.

Bish

My 2017 T8 was supplied with Michelin Latitude Sport 3s, have done a great job and the front ones are now close to needing replacement at 50k kms -- rears will last a little while yet. There's only one Michelin dealer here so not a lot of competition on price...

I went with Firestone Destination LE2 in 255/55R19. The 235/55R19s look like donuts to my eyes, the 255s fill the wheel well much better and are more in line (height wise) with the majority of the tires sold on the XC90s with 20-23 inch rims. I drive by speed cameras almost every day and the speedometer remained accurate.
      (Hers) Current Ride - 2017 XC60 T6 AWD
      ( His ) Current Ride - 2016 XC90 T6 AWD

(Hers) Past Rides - 93 244, 05 XC90, 15.5 XC60
      ( His ) Past Rides - 91 745, 05 S40 T5 FWD

I have the factory 20" Pirelli's on my T8 and I swear they are the weakest tires I've ever owned, I had a slow leak, took it to the tire shop and a pebble that was trapped in the tread had wore its way through the tire. Tire guy said he's ever seen anything like it, wasn't even a sharp pebble.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickshu View Post
      Yes the DWS06 is a much better tire than the cheaper Conti's. It's one of the top rated tires on TireRack for various SUVs the XC90 included.

Tires with longer treadlife are generally going to be harder compound hence more road noise. That's one reason the stock Pirelli Scorpions are very quiet but don't last long.
      Yup! DWS is an excellent tire, I’ve used them on our 2010 XC90 and they were great, even on snow (while the DWS was showing and even after the S had worn away down to DW still showing). The wore out faster than the Pirelli and what I noticed is their sidewall is a bit cushier. They did take me a while to adjust to compared to the Pirelli which had sharper turn in and provided a firmer ride. I recall my first impression was riding on DWS was as if I’d replaced the tires with balloons. The trade off in traction came with faster tread wear.
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Our first: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

From what I read it seems that all-season are mostly used in the US.
      Is that indeed the case?
      2018 XC90 T5 (5-seater)

Dealer was running a special on tires. Buy three, get fourth free. Both the Continental and Pirelli were cheaper at the dealer compared to other local tire shops. Your Millage May Vary depending on how much they mark up tires and labor rates. FWIW, It appears replacement tires are carry the full warranty (Not considered OEM) and Volvo has a complimentary 2 year road hazard warranty (100% first year, 50% second year, free patches).

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoUhu View Post
      Yup! DWS is an excellent tire, I’ve used them on our 2010 XC90 and they were great, even on snow (while the DWS was showing and even after the S had worn away down to DW still showing). The wore out faster than the Pirelli and what I noticed is their sidewall is a bit cushier. They did take me a while to adjust to compared to the Pirelli which had sharper turn in and provided a firmer ride. I recall my first impression was riding on DWS was as if I’d replaced the tires with balloons. The trade off in traction came with faster tread wear.
      So far I think the DWS 06's handle better than the Pirelli's. I have found just the opposite, the initial turn-in is as good or better than the Pirelli's and they actually ride a little stiffer over small bumps.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast