Replacement tires for XC90 - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Has anyone tried the Michelin Defender LTX M/S? I thought I had decided on these before I came here and no one is mentioning them. I think my priorities are noise followed by light snow/ice, but don’️t want to feel like I’️m suddenly driving a boat.

They seem to get great noise ratings compared to presumably softer tires (Michelin pilots and premiers, conti oem) so the added tread life just seems a bonus.

Also, Michelin won’t even sell the Premier LTX for xc90 t6 momentum. I guess they think the load rating, presumably 101, is too low.

Anyone? Thanks
      Last edited by joeyjoey; 10-24-2019 at 03:29 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by joeyjoey View Post
      Has anyone tried the Michelin Defender LTX M/S? I thought I had decided on these before I came here and no one is mentioning them. I think my priorities are noise followed by light snow/ice, but don’️t want to feel like I’️m suddenly driving a boat.

They seem to get great noise ratings compared to presumably softer tires (Michelin pilots and premiers, conti oem) so the added tread life just seems a bonus.

Also, Michelin won’t even sell the Premier LTX for xc90 t6 momentum. I guess they think the load rating, presumably 101, is too low.

Anyone? Thanks
      Myself and others have the Premier LTX on our XC90s. Did someone tell you they aren't compatible?
      2018 XC90 Inscription / Air Suspension / B & W / 21" OEM Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by krypttic View Post

Anyone? Thanks
      Myself and others have the Premier LTX on our XC90s. Did someone tell you they aren't compatible?
      Yes, I was in online chat with Michelin.com. They wouldn’t sell them to me for the Xc90 t6 momentum even if I wanted them too. (Presumably what that really means is warranted in any way.)

Edit: If you use their tire selector tool or whatever they call it there you can see the Premier LTX will not show as an option. I wanted to ask why and see if they’d sell them anyway and the Michelin agent wouldn’t do it for my car. He looked it up and said it was load issue.

I suppose if you have bigger rims, 21” or whatever, it would change the load rating though. Maybe that’s the issue.

For reference, and a laugh, I’d like to add that the dealer wanted to put 101H!! Conti Sprt LX on the car for $1388.
      Last edited by joeyjoey; 10-24-2019 at 04:33 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Yes, I was in online chat with Michelin.com. They wouldn’t sell them to me for the Xc90 t6 momentum even if I wanted them too. (Presumably what that really means is warranted in any way.)

Edit: If you use their tire selector tool or whatever they call it there you can see the Premier LTX will not show as an option. I wanted to ask why and see if they’d sell them anyway and the Michelin agent wouldn’t do it for my car. He looked it up and said it was load issue.

I suppose if you have bigger rims, 21” or whatever, it would change the load rating though. Maybe that’s the issue.

For reference, and a laugh, I’d like to add that the dealer wanted to put 101H!! Conti Sprt LX on the car for $1388.
      For 19' rims, Defender LTX M/S tires do fit. The Premier LTX doesn't fit 19' but it fits 20' and plus size rims. Actually, I was about to get the Defender LTX from Costco for my T6 last month. But there was a huge discount with Pilot Sport A/S 3+ for my 19' rims on amazon. It costed me ~$500 for 4 tires including installations after $100 rebate. 2k miles so far, they are excellent tires.
      Last edited by tanXC90; 10-24-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Going to a 255/55R-19 should be considered. They’re wider and taller (filling the wheel well better) than the 235/55R-19, narrower than the stock tires on Volvo’s larger rims and about equals their height. I’ve had them on my XC90 about a year, I know some have said that the taller tire would significantly affect the inaccuracy of the speedometer, I drive by a radar station almost every day (between 15-40mph) and the speedometer is always right. The 255/55-19 are standard tires on many vehicles (like the previous VW Touareg that weighs about the same as our XC90) so there are many choices. I shop by tire size and take price, customer rating (professional if applicable), weight rating, speed and wear ratings into account.
      (Hers) Current Ride - 2017 XC60 T6 AWD
      ( His ) Current Ride - 2016 XC90 T6 AWD

(Hers) Past Rides - 93 244, 05 XC90, 15.5 XC60
      ( His ) Past Rides - 91 745, 05 S40 T5 FWD

Quote Originally Posted by hfwilkesjr View Post
      Going to a 255/55R-19 should be considered. They’re wider and taller (filling the wheel well better) than the 235/55R-19, narrower than the stock tires on Volvo’s larger rims and about equals their height. I’ve had them on my XC90 about a year, I know some have said that the taller tire would significantly affect the inaccuracy of the speedometer, I drive by a radar station almost every day (between 15-40mph) and the speedometer is always right. The 255/55-19 are standard tires on many vehicles (like the previous VW Touareg that weighs about the same as our XC90) so there are many choices. I shop by tire size and take price, customer rating (professional if applicable), weight rating, speed and wear ratings into account.
      You don't see a speed difference since you're going too slow. Then again, the difference isn't that much at higher speeds anyway. Regardless, it's not for me. See pic below.
      Attached Images Attached Images

I've noticed that Tire Rack has a new option available in 21 inch - Vredestein. I know this was a favorite of Volvo owners in Europe back in the day (my uncle had them for years on his 240) . . but does anyone have any experience with them yet, here in the US, on an SPA Volvo?
      2016 XC90 T6 First Edition (64k)
      2011 Mini Cooper Clubman JCW (84k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (86k)
      SOLD: 2008 XC90 V8 Executive (91k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (80k)

Quote Originally Posted by theclutch View Post
      You don't see a speed difference since you're going too slow. Then again, the difference isn't that much at higher speeds anyway. Regardless, it's not for me. See pic below.
      That is a possibility, it's also possible that Volvo, erring in the side of caution, rates the vehicle speedometer as going faster than what the vehicle is actually going. I don't believe this is not something that's out of the ordinary in the auto industry.

I used the tire comparison tool as well, you should also compare it to Volvos stock sizes on the 20-22 inch tires and you will see that the 255/55R19 is more in line with them than the 235/55R19 is. The tire comparison tool is what made me decide to change to this size in particular.
      (Hers) Current Ride - 2017 XC60 T6 AWD
      ( His ) Current Ride - 2016 XC90 T6 AWD

(Hers) Past Rides - 93 244, 05 XC90, 15.5 XC60
      ( His ) Past Rides - 91 745, 05 S40 T5 FWD

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2