Preferred Alignment Specs?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Question Preferred Alignment Specs?

After refreshing the front end of our XC following a strut failure which cupped a relatively decent set of tires, I've finally got a new set of WRG3's (from https://www.tiresbyweb.com/ - Best price I could find anywhere) and TPMS sensors to install. I'm going to have them installed before we drive up to Maine and I'm planning to do an alignment at the same time. The question, are there "best" specs available for the alignment of our XC's beyond the factory recommendations? Zero rear toe is a big thing in the R world to eliminate side hop. Are there any similar things to do for best tire wear?
      2004 V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2007 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

2009 S80 V8 Executive Electric Silver/Sandstone Beige
      2007 XC90 V8 Savile Grey/Anthracite Black

Previous Vehicles 2004 XC90 2.5T, 2003 XC70

Our resident expert Pax5 would most likely suggest going for the absolute minimum toe the technician can achieve - Front and Rear Toe-in: +/- 0.02 to +/- 0.04 (not greater!) Camber: in the middle and symmetrical left and right.
      I followed his recommendations and was at 60,000 miles on my set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus All-Seasons when I replaced them this week. This was on zero (0) rotations during those miles, no abnormal wear on any of the four tires, and I probably could have gone for another 10k on the rears.
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive w/2013+ Refresh | IPD Front/Rear Sway Bars and Strut Conversion Kit | Rigid Industries SR/SR2 Combo Light Bars | Thule Canyon Rack | Borla XR-1 w/ Cut-Out |205k miles and counting..

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I always set them to the middle

Quote Originally Posted by SpitzeStrom_Terp View Post
      Our resident expert Pax5 would most likely suggest going for the absolute minimum toe the technician can achieve - Front and Rear Toe-in: +/- 0.02 to +/- 0.04 (not greater!) Camber: in the middle and symmetrical left and right.
      I followed his recommendations and was at 60,000 miles on my set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus All-Seasons when I replaced them this week. This was on zero (0) rotations during those miles, no abnormal wear on any of the four tires, and I probably could have gone for another 10k on the rears.
      Thanks! Funny story. He's who I asked first but he's traveling and I wasn't sure I'd hear back from him in time. lol I just got an email back last night with this:

Basically you want your front wheels toe-in as close to zero as possible, pointing "in" a little is good, but no more than -0.02 to -0.05. Note the minus sign and the value is one hundreth, not one tenth. Many techs ignore this and align to 0.2! Then they'll say, it still meets Volvo spec. Yes, but it is not optimal.

Toe-in rears preferably zero (0.00), but that is hard to achieve, and requires a competent tech who has patience!

Other adjustment is Camber: have it adjusted to the center of the Volvo spec, same for both sides.
      2004 V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2007 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R

Thanks, R. I'll need this soon, as I should be, finally, wrapping up the control arms, ball joints and sway bar links over the weekend.
      2006 XC90 V8 w/ Climate, Touring, Convenience and RSE. Silver w/ Graphite
      2014 Lincoln MKT EcoBoost Elite, Tech, Pano, 20”, Rear Captains. Pearl/Black
      Past: 2008 XC90 V8 w/ Climate, BLIS, Dynaudio, Bi-Xenon. Ember black w/ Sandstone
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD 7-Passenger w/ Climate, Premium and Versatility packages and Xenon headlights.

This is your thread

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements