Our salesman made a mistake on our OSD order, now we're paying for his mistake
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Our salesman made a mistake on our OSD order, now we're paying for his mistake

Our salesman (someone who specializes in OSD orders) omitted the Linear Lime décor we requested in our original order. I know there’s a wealth of experience and knowledge here, so I’m reaching out for advice on next step. I apologize for the lengthy message below, but wanted to share the relevant dates/info.

7/21 – Visited dealer for MY18 XC60 test drive. Discussed and reviewed options, including interior selections. After reviewing trim samples, the three of us (salesman, husband and I) all agreed Linear Lime looked best with the Amber interior I selected. We requested a XC60 Inscription with Luxury seat package, Convenience package, Advanced package, Vision package, air suspension and B&W speakers. Items to be added at FDC were front and rear mud flaps, floor mats, cargo mat, bumper cover, sports pedal, wheel bolts and extra remote key. Also requested Polestar installed at FDC if available by our delivery date. Only outstanding item was exterior paint color selection.

7/25 – Contacted salesman and requested Luminous Sand. Colors we discussed on 7/21 included Bright Silver, Electric Silver and Osmium Grey, all with Amber interior with Linear Lime decor.

7/26 – Paid $2,000 deposit. Salesman said he’d monitor our order and let us know as soon as Volvo confirmed our delivery date.

8/1 – No word so contacted salesman to inquire about delivery date. On 8/2, salesman emailed and said our OSD delivery date was confirmed for 10/17. Informed salesman we didn’t want to drive in Europe, just drive around the test track and turn the car in. Confirmed that 8/22 was last date for changes for our OSD order.

8/16 – Learned Linear Lime decor is no longer available effective 8/14. Immediately contacted salesman by phone and email to confirm our XC60 would have Linear Lime interior.

8/17 – Heard back from salesman via email that Linear Lime is no longer available. No apology, no explanation and no acknowledgement of his omission. Said he’d see what he could do and get back to us. After salesman’s email, husband reached out to him immediately by phone and email and asked him to call ASAP. No response from salesman, so husband visited salesman at dealership on 8/18.

8/22 – After email from husband asking for update, salesman emails and says Volvo will allow us to complete our OSD trip and factory tour as planned (we chose the Barcelona add-on), but we won’t get delivery of our car on 10/17. When Linear lime becomes available, car will be shipped directly to dealer. No estimated date was provided in writing, but salesman told husband Volvo thinks Linear lime trim will be available in November. Salesman informed us that Volvo wants us to pay an additional $3,000 deposit when we re-order the car, so our total deposit will be $5,000 instead of the customary $2,000.

To recap, due to our salesman's error, we will now have to pay 10% sales tax on the many accessories we were planning to purchase directly at FDC. We will also have to pay a higher registration fee. We are paying cash for our car. In anticipation of our October p/u date, we recently sold stock that we wouldn’t have otherwise sold. Also, we will now have to pay an additional $3,000 deposit. Does all of this seem fair to you? What would you do in this situation?

FYI, it’s taken me almost seven years to get to this point, so I can’t bear the thought of “settling” for anything less than my dream car at this point. Any suggestions/tips/advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Forum Sponsor universityvolvoOSD's Avatar
      Check your email
      Bob Kennedy
      University Volvo OSD Mgr
      Charlotte NC
      VOLVO FOR LIFE
      http://www.universityvolvo.com/volvo...as-program.htm

Julie K, I just tried to PM you, but it seems that you are not accepting PMs. Somehow, under the circumstances, I'm thinking that your dealer would be more than willing to absorb your additional sales tax expense. And finally, while Volvo is asking your for an additional deposit, it's not as though you are losing that money as it will be applied to the purchase price. I can't help but think that there's more to this story.
      Last edited by SCwires; 08-24-2017 at 09:44 PM.
      2016 XC60 T5 FWD OSD (May 2016), 6 countries, 2500km

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Thanks, Bob! I greatly appreciate your suggestions and your reaching out to me via email.

SCwires, not sure why you weren't able to PM me -- I have my settings set to accept PMs. So far we've not gotten very far with our salesman. My husband reached out to the GM at the dealer today and we're waiting to hear back from him. While it's true the deposit will be applied towards our purchase, it's still $3,000 cash that other don't have to pay when ordering their cars. It doesn't feel great to provide Volvo with an interest-free loan while we wait for them to build our car. Also, we managed our finances (cash) with the assumption that our car would be ready to ship in October. Additionally, we have a road trip planned the last week in December. Now we'll have to rent a SUV for our trip instead of taking our new Volvo!

I can see why you and others may be skeptical, but I've laid out our facts as objectively as possible. That's why we're so frustrated and at our wits end about how this is all playing out!!
      Last edited by JulieK; 08-24-2017 at 11:37 PM.

Hi JulieK,
      Sorry about your situation. If you are unable to get things resolved with your dealership, perhaps you can contact Volvo corporate's OSD support staff. Most of us on this forum have found Barbara at Volvo OSD to be prompt and professional. She may have some ability to help you.

I'm wondering if the additional deposit they are asking for is to ensure that your trip expenses are covered. Normally, we have to pay for the car in full about a month before OSD pickup. So they'd have our money already to cover our trip expenses. You won't be paying for the car before the trip. Maybe that's why need the additional deposit? I'm sure a call to Barbara could help sort this out.

I think your dealer should pick up the additional taxes and registration fees for the FDC accessories. A reasonable dealer would do that if their mistake caused it. If they won't, I'd talk to Volvo OSD.

Long story short, in your situation I'd contact Volvo OSD support at their 800 number if the dealer isn't helpful.

Good luck
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription (OSD)

Thanks, Trvliq. That actually makes sense about the trip, but the entire value of the OSD trip according to Volvo's website is under $2,500. Also, we've already paid our $2,000 deposit as well as our $990 for the summer add-on to BCN. In any case, it would have been helpful if our salesman had explained why the amount was necessary, and what the dealership was willing to do to try to make things right for us.

Bob advised reaching out to Barbara, too. I'm planning to call Barbara this morning. In case anyone is wondering, Bob isn't who we worked with for our Volvo purchase. I'm kicking myself now, because he's actually been much more sympathetic than our salesman who has yet to acknowledge his role in the omission. Additionally, Bob has offered actual suggestions to remedy our situation. I wish we'd gone with Bob, but we decided to work with a local dealer in our area who is very well-known for his OSD experience.

It sounds like we were definitely the exception case, because our salesman gets positive reviews in the forum. That said, in our many dealings with him, he seems very overwhelmed with his OSD demand due to the popularity of the car. I contacted Bob after 10 pm his time last night (I'm in CA), and heard back from him almost immediately. Usually, we've had to wait at least a day or two to hear back from our salesman. Only once has he returned our calls the same day. Otherwise, we've had to follow-up ourselves after not hearing back from him.

Forum members are an incredible wealth of information! I truly appreciate the many helpful tips and suggestions I received in response to my post, as well as via PM. I spoke to Barbara this morning and while she’s not able to do anything for us, I came away with lots of great information. I'm baffled why our salesman just didn't share this information with us from the get go!!

Volvo’s factory was closed 7/14 to 8/14. They received so many orders while they were closed that even if my order had been placed correctly on 7/26, Volvo wouldn’t have fulfilled our order. Volvo is now contacting customers informing them of the shortage. Per Barbara, there is absolutely no Linear Lime décor trim currently available at the factory. Volvo has no idea when/if the trim will be available in the future. Metal trim is available with Amber leather interior, but she’s not seen that combo in person, nor has she seen any photos. While the wood trim was replaceable in some of the older XC60 models, that’s no longer the case. All trim must now be factory installed. For those interested in Polestar, Barbara said it will be available for MY18 XC60 the first week of October.

Regarding the additional $3,000 deposit, Volvo requires only a $2,000 deposit with OSD orders. However, dealers may charge whatever deposit they want. She told me a case where a customer was charged a $10,000 deposit by a dealer for their OSD purchase! FYI, only $2,000 goes to Volvo. Any remaining deposits are held by the dealer until the final amount is due to Volvo. In our case, it’s the local dealer charging the additional $3,000 deposit, not Volvo. Again, not sure why since no one has bothered to explain the rationale for the additional deposit.

My husband finally heard from the General Sales Manager this afternoon. He’s off today, so offered to speak with us this weekend. I’ll update my post after our conversation.
      Last edited by JulieK; 08-25-2017 at 07:14 PM.

The drift wood inlays goes quite well with Amber leather IMO, if it is available.

But I am curious how much stock they have ordered the Linear Lime inlays for the factory, if it runs out so quickly. How many XC60's do they plan to make this year?

They have plenty of drift wood available! Unfortunately, we don't like that particular combo with Amber and it appears many others also agree. I think the issue they're experiencing with Linear Lime is also a quality control/supply issue.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieK View Post
      [...]
      Regarding the additional $3,000 deposit, Volvo requires only a $2,000 deposit with OSD orders. However, dealers may charge whatever deposit they want.
      [...]

My husband finally heard from the General Sales Manager this afternoon. He’s off today, so offered to speak with us this weekend. I’ll update my post after our conversation.
      I think I'd politely refuse to pay the additional deposit the dealer is demanding if Volvo isn't asking for that money.

As you may well know by now, you are buying the OSD car directly from Volvo and the dealer is only an agent in this transaction. In a non-OSD purchase, you are buying the car from the dealer. In the non-OSD case, one can understand the dealer wanting a deposit to hold an allocation. In the OSD case, the dealer asking for a deposit that isn't forwarded to Volvo makes no sense to me. That sounds unethical. That would make me not want to do business with them. Besides, you already placed an order and were told that the deposit would be only $2K. It seems wrong to change that after the order was accepted.

If the dealer is being difficult, I'd tell [email protected] that you want to cancel that original order and place a different order via someone else.

In my OSD order placement paperwork, I had to sign a document called the "Overseas Delivery Tourist Car Order Contract", which was between myself (buyer) and Volvo Cars North America (VCNA - seller).

This contract has all of the contractual details of the buying process, as well as agreements to not drive the car in Europe for more than 6 months, not to drop it off at point other than the one specified, what happens if I dont take delivery on the specified delivery date, etc. A signature on this document was required to submit the order.

Condition #3 of that contract states that only a $2000 deposit is required by VCNA, who is the actual seller in this case. Anything above that amount is not contractually necessary.

Which dealer in the Bay Area did you go through?
      2018 XC90 T5 AWD R-Design | Onyx Black | B&W | 22" Wheels | Carbon Inlays | Convenience | Polestar | CeramicPro 9H | OSD Pickup Sept 2017

My husband and I spent half an hour on the phone tonight with the General Sales Manager (GSM) at our local Volvo dealership. I’ve summarized our call below, with my notes/comments in bold red font:

1.) GSM claims our order was entered correctly by our salesperson (it most certainly wasn't!), but Volvo ran out of our trim before they could fill our order. GSM said Volvo has the right to accept our order, then tell us later that they’re unable to fill with our specs. GSM shared Volvo is currently 8 short on previously accepted T8 orders. Unfortunately, Volvo can't fulfill the OSD orders, and customers are understandably very upset!!

2.) Volvo requested the additional $3,000 deposit because they’re letting us do the OSD in October, even though we’re not picking up a car. The $3,000 ensures Volvo doesn't lose anything on our trip. (I shared with GSM that this goes against what Barbara told me last week. GSM said he spoke with Barbara’s boss this morning, and Barbara was misinformed. FYI, when I spoke with Barbara last Friday, she told me both my husband’s name and GSM’s name were listed as owners on our car which I thought was very odd. We forgot to mention the contractual provision about deposits limited to $2,000 during tonight's call.)

3.) Now this is where things take a really strange turn… GSM said he reached out to Barbara’s boss this morning to see if Volvo would waive the additional $3,000 deposit for us. Volvo agreed to waive the deposit, but only after dealership agreed to purchase our OSD car. Dealership is generously giving us their OSD trip, so that we can travel as planned without paying Volvo the additional deposit.

3.) GSM believes Linear Lime décor will become available between Halloween and Thanksgiving. The shortage has become a huge issue (liability) for Volvo because no one in the US is ordering Amber interior without Linear Lime. The factory now has a huge stockpile of Amber leather inventory, so Volvo is highly motivated to source additional Linear Lime décor ASAP.

4.) Once the trim is available, our order will be “first in line” and the car will arrive at the dealership in February/March if everything goes as planned. (This goes completely against what Barbara told me last week. She told me it didn’t matter if we submitted a new OSD order now, or if we waited until after the trim becomes available. There's no ETA for if/when the Linear lime decor trim will be available. Barbara told me Volvo isn’t keeping a “waiting list,” and you can’t reserve your place in line. When I mentioned this to GSM, he said Barbara was wrong.)

5.) Given the many issues to date, dealership will reduce the final sales price of the car to reflect the additional sales tax/registration cost. We asked and were told no other concessions/discounts would be offered. He reminded us several times during our call that the dealership bought a car for us! (FYI, we were never informed of this until tonight, and we certainly never asked them to purchase our OSD car!)

6.) Meanwhile, dealership now has our $2,000 deposit (not Volvo). Dealership will apply our deposit towards our new OSD order should we decide to move forward with a new OSD purchase. If not (i.e., we decide to use someone else for our OSD), dealership won’t refund our $2,000 deposit until after they sell our OSD car. Also, if we return from Europe and decide we don’t want to place an OSD order, they’ll refund our deposit after they sell our OSD car.

At this point, the only way they’ll return our $2,000 deposit is if we cancel our OSD trip outright. We mentioned that we’ve incurred non-refundable travel costs for our OSD trip. While there’s no guarantee, GSM said he’d talk to Volvo and see if they’d refund our expenses to date (=$990 BCN add-on for two people, $177 non-refundable inter-Europe flight and $116 travel insurance) if we decide to cancel our trip.

What would you do??? I’ve spent countless hours researching and planning our OSD trip, and we’ve already gotten time off from work, so we hate the thought of cancelling our trip. That said, we have absolutely no trust in our salesman, GSM or quite frankly, the OSD process itself. It's hard to know who to believe or trust!

I don’t feel comfortable posting the dealership’s name because our salesman has many fans in the OSD forum (Bob Kennedy isn't our salesman), and it sounds like our case may be the exception to the rule. However, I’m happy to share this information privately via PM.
      Last edited by JulieK; 08-29-2017 at 01:56 AM.

I don't like the middle man role of dealership at all, unless a conference call is set up with all the parties, the trust is very weak when discrepancy happens. If I were you, I'll let the dealer hold the 2k deposit till they sell the OSD car. It is not big deal as long as written in contract. Hopefully this will make it go through more easily.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

Dang, if everyone had the issues you folks are facing, there wouldn't be an OSD program......it would have died long ago. Sorry to hear of your problems and hopefully they will get resolved soon......
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4/2012) Ember Black/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

2016 XC90 T6 (OSD 5/2016) Crystal White Pearl/Amber/Black l Momentum Plus,Vision,Convenience l 20" Alloy wheels/Wood steering wheel/Child booster seat/Black headliner/PA II

When I paid the $2K for my OSD order, I also signed a few documents. One of them was titled VCNA Overseas Delivery Tourist Car Order. That document listed every detail (base, trim, option, package, etc.) of the car I ordered.

Did you sign such a document? Did it list Linear Lime?

Quote Originally Posted by goVolvo View Post
      I don't like the middle man role of dealership at all, unless a conference call is set up with all the parties, the trust is very weak when discrepancy happens.
      Great idea! Get everyone on a conference call.

If it was me...I would tell dealership to pound sand. But i am vindictive that way. Even though it would cost me money & aggravation. Barbara at Volvo has never been wrong that many times ever. She is the "fixer". She makes problems disappear. (I have never had to use her) Balance of the doubt goes to her i would think.

Just too many shady things going on here from the dealership side. I would cancel and rebook with a trusted salesman. Then drive by the dealership and give them the fickle finger of fate.

That said your order is not "official" until Volvo approves it. It took my order about 2-3 days to get back approved. And my salesman said that was very fast.
      Sold: 98 V70 2.5T 289k Miles
      Sold 05 V70 2.5
      Sold: 05 XC90 2.5T 313986 Miles
      Traded 2017 V60 Platinum Mussel Blue OSD
      2019 XC60 Inscription (almost OSD)

I'm sorry for all your troubles. This is not what OSD should be.

1.) GSM claims our order was entered correctly by our salesperson (it most certainly wasn't!),...
      Question: what does your "VCNA Overseas Delivery Tourist Car Order" contract say? Does it mention the Linear Lime option?

If it does, then it was entered correctly.
      If it doesn't mention the option and you signed it, then I'm sorry but it is on you.

Either way, Volvo can reject or delay any order. This is mentioned in the fine print of the above contract.

2.) Volvo requested the additional $3,000 deposit because they’re letting us do the OSD in October...

...(Barbara) told me both my husband’s name and GSM’s name were listed as owners on our car...

... He reminded us several times during our call that the dealership bought a car for us!...
      These points sound highly suspicious to me. I'm not doubting your recollection: but the above points make me wonder if the order was placed as a regular order instead of an OSD, which would take one of the dealer's slots. That could explain some of the GSM's claims.

The factory now has a huge stockpile of Amber leather inventory, so Volvo is highly motivated to source additional Linear Lime décor ASAP.
      Now, this truly sounds likely BS of the best quality. The factory does NOT stockpile anything: they don't have the room for it. All the items arrive just in time so I'm sure that there isn't any "amber leather inventory" (beyond the non-tangible inventory of what they may have promised to purchase from their suppliers).

IMO, you should be able to cancel the order without further penalties but I am not a lawyer. The car is not in the production queue so Volvo hasn't spent a dime yet.

After cancelling the order if you still want to go through with it, go to another dealer and place the order you want. However, since Linear Lime won't be available until who knows when, they won't be able to confirm the order until then. This is an unfortunate reality.
      Last edited by ig_mb; 08-29-2017 at 10:05 PM.
      2018 XC90 T8 AWD Momentum Plus, Denim Blue, convenience, air suspension, B&W, HUD, etc
      2005 S60 2.5T AWD (OSD) Platinum Green, Premium, Convenience, Climate, Bi-Xenon, etc
      Previous:
      2016 XC90 T6 AWD (OSD) Momentum Plus, Magic Blue, vision, convenience, air suspension, B&W, HUD, etc
      2004 XC90 T6 AWD (gone but not forgotten)

Since travel has been arranged, I'd say place another order and go for the travel, Volvo should provide a similar car for you to drive there, like other similar cases when OSD car is not ready at pickup time. Come back and wait for your new order with some patience. You will still get your car. It takes some time to get the 2k deposit back but it won't be that long as the car will sell quickly. Interest on this 2k amount is not big deal.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

Hi there, sorry for the tardy response, but we've been dealing with a family issue and it's been a crazy couple of days!

Scrapr, I love your dry wit and humor! You slay me!!

ig_mb, you're absolutely correct. We should have caught the omission or asked about it before signing our contract. In our defense, the trim isn't an additional charge so when we reviewed the form, we didn't realize it should be listed. That said, it was clear when speaking with the the GSM that no one wants Amber with Driftwood trim, so I don't know why our salesman would assume we'd be the exception to the rule. Especially when we emphasized during our 2+ hour test drive meeting that we only wanted Linear Lime with our Amber interior.

My husband reached out to GSM this morning and asked him to confirm the following:

1.) Dealership will apply the full $2,000 deposit we’ve already paid to any future OSD order.
      2.) If we choose not to place a new OSD order, dealership will return the full $2,000 deposit after dealership sells the OSD car they assumed from us.
      3.) Dealership will reduce the purchase price of a new OSD car by the full amount of state and local sales/use tax and incremental registration cost attributable to all OSD accessories/add-ons (i.e., Polestar, wheels, protective plate, mud flaps, floor and cargo mats, bumper cover, sports pedal, wheel bolts, keys, and any other OSD accessories we select).

If our understanding of the above is correct, we told him that we'd like to move forward as follows:

1.) Travel to Europe in October for our OSD trip as planned.
      2.) Participate in FDC car presentation/orientation of dealership’s OSD car on our original delivery date as planned.
      3.) Drive dealership’s car around test track as planned.
      4.) Tour factory, museum and eat lunch at FDC as planned.

GSM was off today. I'll report back after we hear from GSM. Meanwhile, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank those who have kindly taken time to provide us with helpful suggestions, tips and advice. We can't thank you enough!!
      Last edited by JulieK; 08-31-2017 at 12:17 AM.

Hi there, wanted to report back that we finally heard back from the GSM last night, 2.5 days after my husband reached out to him by email and two voice mails. He said he'd been sick, which is why it took so long to hear back.

He confirmed all of the above both by phone and email. We haven't decided whether we're going to place another OSD order with this dealership, but for now we're traveling as planned. Given our experience to date, we're definitely having second thoughts about purchasing a Volvo. If purchasing a car is this stressful and unpleasant, we can only imagine how much worse it could get dealing with the service department!!

Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend and thanks again for your support!!

My husband and I spent half an hour on the phone tonight with the General Sales Manager (GSM) at our local Volvo dealership. I’ve summarized our call below, with my notes/comments in bold red font:

1.) GSM claims our order was entered correctly by our salesperson (it most certainly wasn't!), but Volvo ran out of our trim before they could fill our order. GSM said Volvo has the right to accept our order, then tell us later that they’re unable to fill with our specs. GSM shared Volvo is currently 8 short on previously accepted T8 orders. Unfortunately, Volvo can't fulfill the OSD orders, and customers are understandably very upset!!

2.) Volvo requested the additional $3,000 deposit because they’re letting us do the OSD in October, even though we’re not picking up a car. The $3,000 ensures Volvo doesn't lose anything on our trip. (I shared with GSM that this goes against what Barbara told me last week. GSM said he spoke with Barbara’s boss this morning, and Barbara was misinformed. FYI, when I spoke with Barbara last Friday, she told me both my husband’s name and GSM’s name were listed as owners on our car which I thought was very odd. We forgot to mention the contractual provision about deposits limited to $2,000 during tonight's call.)

3.) Now this is where things take a really strange turn… GSM said he reached out to Barbara’s boss this morning to see if Volvo would waive the additional $3,000 deposit for us. Volvo agreed to waive the deposit, but only after dealership agreed to purchase our OSD car. Dealership is generously giving us their OSD trip, so that we can travel as planned without paying Volvo the additional deposit.

3.) GSM believes Linear Lime décor will become available between Halloween and Thanksgiving. The shortage has become a huge issue (liability) for Volvo because no one in the US is ordering Amber interior without Linear Lime. The factory now has a huge stockpile of Amber leather inventory, so Volvo is highly motivated to source additional Linear Lime décor ASAP.

4.) Once the trim is available, our order will be “first in line” and the car will arrive at the dealership in February/March if everything goes as planned. (This goes completely against what Barbara told me last week. She told me it didn’t matter if we submitted a new OSD order now, or if we waited until after the trim becomes available. There's no ETA for if/when the Linear lime decor trim will be available. Barbara told me Volvo isn’t keeping a “waiting list,” and you can’t reserve your place in line. When I mentioned this to GSM, he said Barbara was wrong.)

5.) Given the many issues to date, dealership will reduce the final sales price of the car to reflect the additional sales tax/registration cost. We asked and were told no other concessions/discounts would be offered. He reminded us several times during our call that the dealership bought a car for us! (FYI, we were never informed of this until tonight, and we certainly never asked them to purchase our OSD car!)

6.) Meanwhile, dealership now has our $2,000 deposit (not Volvo). Dealership will apply our deposit towards our new OSD order should we decide to move forward with a new OSD purchase. If not (i.e., we decide to use someone else for our OSD), dealership won’t refund our $2,000 deposit until after they sell our OSD car. Also, if we return from Europe and decide we don’t want to place an OSD order, they’ll refund our deposit after they sell our OSD car.

At this point, the only way they’ll return our $2,000 deposit is if we cancel our OSD trip outright. We mentioned that we’ve incurred non-refundable travel costs for our OSD trip. While there’s no guarantee, GSM said he’d talk to Volvo and see if they’d refund our expenses to date (=$990 BCN add-on for two people, $177 non-refundable inter-Europe flight and $116 travel insurance) if we decide to cancel our trip.

What would you do??? I’ve spent countless hours researching and planning our OSD trip, and we’ve already gotten time off from work, so we hate the thought of cancelling our trip. That said, we have absolutely no trust in our salesman, GSM or quite frankly, the OSD process itself. It's hard to know who to believe or trust!

I don’t feel comfortable posting the dealership’s name because our salesman has many fans in the OSD forum (Bob Kennedy isn't our salesman), and it sounds like our case may be the exception to the rule. However, I’m happy to share this information privately via PM.
      As you describe it - the role your dealer is playing seems out of character. We've done 3 Volvo OSDs through 3 different dealers (second one was because our first Volvo dealer closed due to the recession, and our third because we moved far from our second store). None of the times did we experience anything even close to what you described. Our expectations were clearly understood based on the literature Volvo provided and never deviated from it including the timing and description of each milestone (order lead time, deposit due date, shipment, etc - delays can be expected after drop off for home shipment but here Volvo also explains what's involved and typical shipment, customs processing, and transit times to your store of choice. Each time we had a great and consistent/uniform experience due to Volvo's well established process:

We go in, fill out the order form (for our 3rd it was online at our new hometown store), give them personal information (for our first two it was passport numbers and 3rd was just DL for one of us) for legal documents related to OSD delivery that include Swedish registration, VAT registration (in case you skip out on the your end of the bargain of returning your new Volvo for export), export, and subsequent import, and a deposit (used to be $1000, now $2000 which goes to Volvo). All of that was done with standard Volvo forms, nothing related to the retailer. As I understand it, the deposit is intended to cover expenses they start incurring in case for some reason you have to back out of delivery (travel, vehicle registration, insurance, etc for which they start authorizing spend on you behalf). As soon as the order date is confirmed (they usually confirm it within a week to your retailer, and in a package they mail to you that includes order confirmation and your Volvo's ordered specifications within 2 weeks). Note, don't hold Volvo at fault if you don't get it in 2 weeks, USPS can take more than 1-2 days to deliver it so add that to the timeline. I digress as I've read a lot of posts lately where people complain about lack of communication or timing - if you want a horrible OSD experience with lack of communications order a Porsche, they truly keep you in the dark yet when you call PCNA they assure you it's a top notch experience and go dark on you again. Volvo ruined us for our Porsche experience .

In the legal documents, the owner of the vehicle is the end customer taking delivery, never would it be the dealer or one of it's agents unless they are handling something pre-arranged for you. Recall, this is legal transfer of ownership from Volvo Cars Sweden to you. There may be a lien on it if you require a loan, but that's all standard stuff - exactly as you'd see on a title. MCO is a certificate of origin transferring ownership from Volvo Cars to you which later allows you to convert that to a title within your municipality as required for vehicle registration. What your dealer did seems highly irregular - you'd never expect to see a third party on your title unless they had a fiduciary interest in it (bank lien for a loan). Seeing as how you're buying from Volvo, not from the retailer, they should not have any claim on your property. Remember, final payment in full is due no later than 30days from your delivery date. Volvo Cars is building to order and the retailer is not paying ahead. Throughout it's assembly, the vehicle's tag in the factory is with the owner's information (you). Perhaps your first clue/warning may have been you received order confirmation from Volvo and saw your GM's name along with your husbands. That should never have happened and you should have every right to deal directly with Volvo to get your retailer out of the equation. Volvo US should be able to assist you. Again it sounds like your retailer inserted themselves inappropriately into an order that was not theirs to claim unless you had arranged for them to purchase the vehicle on your behalf and you were arranging a different payment plan. Sure the deposit and final payment are to them but they're simply collecting funds for Volvo US which is a nuanced difference vs. a car that is already on their lot in which case they've already paid Volvo and they (retailer) hold title for the vehicles, and in turn you then are buying from the retailer. OSD - retailer never holds legal title - it's between you and Volvo and they act as an agent for Volvo.
      Last edited by VolvoUhu; 09-03-2017 at 12:02 PM.
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Our first: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

Having purchased three vehicles through the OSD program ... with the third one being one of the first Volvo PHEV's in the states (with all kinds of issues that I encountered with manufacturing delays, importation delays, etc.) I can say unequivocally that the VCUS (nee VCNA) OSD folks in NJ were above and beyond (especially Barbara) as were Hans and his team at the FDC in Göteborg SE.

I've read through this thread a couple of times - there's still details that just don't make sense to me.

The dealer acts as your agent in taking the order (documents, deposit and entry into Volvo's system). The car is being purchased by the OSD customer direct from Volvo Cars USA (or the equiv Canadian org).

When you pay for your car (in full, prior to the OSD trip) you give the funds to the dealership and they in turn transfer to Volvo.

The MSO is issued by the manufacturer in the OSD buyer's name - NOT the dealership. The buyer takes delivery (and ownership) of the vehicle in Europe. And when the vehicle is shipped back to North America - it is the owner's personal property. One of the forms you sign gives limited powers for the clearing of customs (and the customs costs are built into the price of the OSD vehicle).

The vehicle then gets trucked to a Volvo dealer ... who will clean it up, updated it if necessary and re-present it to you. Again - your car. (And I believe Volvo gives the dealer a small stipend for that effort.)

That's the normal way things happen.

In this case - what has been confirmed isn't what you wanted to be built.

I'd recommend what you wrote in your 30 Aug 2017 for plan of attack: still go on the trip! If you were planning on driving in Sweden - maybe just see if they'll give you a loaner (and let Volvo just ship the first vehicle ordered directly to the dealer). If you only intended to just drive around the track ... maybe the FDC can have a vehicle that you can do that in - not necessarily the one that the dealership will take into their inventory.

Keep us posted - and good luck!
      What is not clear is whether Volvo US has either offered (or told?!) the dealer to take the vehicle. Not sure what normally happens with vehicles cancelled, etc. OSD only has so many order slots - maybe they got one from the dealer ... like a kind of swap?

Extra $3,000 deposit - not heard of that one before. And to be honest - if you didn't get that in writing from Volvo (whom you are actually purchasing the vehicle from) ...

Many people who have had issues with manufacturing delays have been provided a loaner vehicle at the FDC or rental if elsewhere. Would seem to me that another order entered through the OSD program for the vehicle you wanted would be covered by your $2,000 deposit - and as you noted, be shipped direct to your dealer (no Swedish registration, etc.) once it is ready.

From all that you've shared ... really don't like the sounds of the interaction with this dealership's GSM. If it wasn't for Volvo and the dealer trying to make some of this right I'd almost say take your deposit and do the OSD order elsewhere.
      2016 XC90 T8 OSD
      Luminous Sand (719) with Agnes blond / charcoal (UC00) - HUD, wood steering wheel, dark flame birch, air suspension, B & W sound, convenience, vision
      previously: 2013 XC90 OSD - 2007 XC90 OSD - 1991 850

Will your car show two prior owners when you go to sell it?

As those above have stated, all seems quite irregular and nowhere near our OSD experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2017 T6 XC90 Momentum+ | Crystal White Pearl | Amber/Charcoal | Convenience | Vision | HUD | Air Suspension | 20" 5-Double Spoke Matte Black Wheels (US OSD: Sweden - Aug, 2016, US - Nov, 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by rpmccormick View Post
      Not sure what normally happens with vehicles cancelled, etc. OSD only has so many order slots - maybe they got one from the dealer ... like a kind of swap?
      Weren't those the ones that ended up on the OSD "ready for immediate delivery" list and with better pricing than standard OSD pricing since they were already pre-configured and ready to be loved ? I don't recall seeing anything like that lately but haven't intentionally looked for it either - I don't recall where they used to be published, if here or on the Volvo OSD site.
      Last edited by VolvoUhu; 09-05-2017 at 10:41 PM.
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Our first: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

For those of you following along, you're not going to believe the latest development...

After reading some of your replies, I started to feel uneasy again, so I called Barbara this morning. She checked her records and told me that someone changed our OSD p/u date from October 17 to October 10! She doesn't know how/when the change was made. I sent her the link to this very long message string and asked her to please review it. She's going to research on her end and get back to me tomorrow.

Meanwhile, to answer some of your questions:

1.) Our name and now the GSM's name are listed on our OSD order, but now with a new FDC p/u date of October 10. The confirmed delivery date we were given by our salesman was 10/17. We arrive in Gothenburg 10/17, depart for Copenhagen/San Francisco 10/19.

2.) We're not purchasing this OSD car. I was told by GSM that the dealership is purchasing (paying) for the car, minus our original $2,000 deposit. We've not signed any documents other than the original documents we signed when we first placed our OSD order.

3.) We were never planning to drive our car in Europe. Volvo is still paying for our trip next month. We purchased the BCN add-on, as well as additional days in Malmo and Stockholm. We depart SFO 10/5, return 10/19.

I know it's hard to believe what you're reading, but everything I've written is EXACTLY what's transpired to date and I have the emails to prove it! Also, I've shared much of our experience with you in real-time.

I'll report back after I hear back from Barbara. Without knowing all the gory details, she seemed quite puzzled to hear about my experience. Especially since I worked with an OSD salesman (not Bob Kennedy) with 17 years of OSD experience!!
      Last edited by JulieK; 09-06-2017 at 11:27 AM.

@JulieK, I have not much to add, just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear that your OSD order has become such nightmare. I just came back from my trip and took delivery of an XC90. My experience with the local dealer, William of Walnut Creek, was great. William is such a wonderful and knowledgeable person who made the whole ordering process a breeze. And the planning of our trip with Volvo's travel agent was also very straight forward.

I guess your dealer really had screwed this thing up for you. But I hope this bad experience of yours is an exception rather than the norm. Either way, i hope you will still have a great trip when you are there. Good luck and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by 17xc90 View Post
      @JulieK, I have not much to add, just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear that your OSD order has become such nightmare. I just came back from my trip and took delivery of an XC90. My experience with the local dealer, William of Walnut Creek, was great. William is such a wonderful and knowledgeable person who made the whole ordering process a breeze. And the planning of our trip with Volvo's travel agent was also very straight forward.

I guess your dealer really had screwed this thing up for you. But I hope this bad experience of yours is an exception rather than the norm. Either way, i hope you will still have a great trip when you are there. Good luck and keep us posted.
      +1
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4/2012) Ember Black/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

2016 XC90 T6 (OSD 5/2016) Crystal White Pearl/Amber/Black l Momentum Plus,Vision,Convenience l 20" Alloy wheels/Wood steering wheel/Child booster seat/Black headliner/PA II

Hello everyone.

As much as I've enjoyed getting to know many of you through your incredibly helpful (and thoughtful) forum posts, I'm really hoping I don't have to report any more issues before we leave for our trip on October 5!

1.) I spoke briefly with Barbara this morning. Due to her heavy workload, she hasn't had time to read my forum posts. She checked and she doesn't know who/how our FDC p/u date got changed from October 17 to October 10. Given the transit time and custom delays Volvo has been experiencing, she warned that the OSD car may not arrive at our local dealership until as late as February.

2.) According to Barbara, the factory hopes Linear Lime becomes available some time in November. There's no ETA and it may/may not actually happen.

3.) Volvo is increasing OSD deposits to $3,000 effective October 2017. Also, this may already be in effect now, but there's no longer a grace period for changes to OSD orders. Once you place your order and pay your deposit, absolutely NO changes to the order are allowed.

4.) GSM says it wasn't on their end, so the date change remains a mystery. GSM said he made arrangements for us to drive a MY18 XC60 during our visit. It won't be the dealership's OSD car (GSM said we can't drive it since we don't legally own the car, the dealership does), but Volvo will have a car we can drive around the FDC track. Pardon me if I'll believe it when/if it happens! When I pointed out that what he's saying now directly contradicts the information from him previously (see post #20 above which is an excerpt from my email to GSM which he confirmed), he said he missed that bullet point in my email. This would be the email that was basically 2 very short paragraphs which I cut and paste for post #20 above.

5.) FDC confirmed we can eat come for lunch, tour the factory and visit the Volvo museum on October 18 as planned.

Finally, I'm torn about whether to share this information with you or not, but I feel an obligation to do so given the high praise and specific call-outs recommending William Marks on this thread. FYI, my husband and I worked with William Marks and his dealership in Walnut Creek, California.

I know many of you on this board think very highly of him, and that's why we chose to work with him! That said, after posting this thread I had a few folks reach out to me privately to ask if our salesman was William Marks. It seems they too, experienced some issues, albeit none as extreme as our personal experiences to date.
      Last edited by JulieK; 09-07-2017 at 08:04 PM.

Julie

I hope everything gets sorted for you. I'm sorry this has been a nightmare.

Regarding the "test track". That is sort of a running joke here and with the delivery people. Apparently they make the delivery people explicitly say "test track". You're thinking Indy 500 or Nascar circle track with all left hand turns aren't you. Nope. One small straight strip of asphalt in front of FDC. Has a few potholes. Maybe a quarter mile. Maybe. There is a nice little highway just beyond that that could work as a test track though
      Last edited by Scrapr; 09-07-2017 at 08:43 PM.
      Sold: 98 V70 2.5T 289k Miles
      Sold 05 V70 2.5
      Sold: 05 XC90 2.5T 313986 Miles
      Traded 2017 V60 Platinum Mussel Blue OSD
      2019 XC60 Inscription (almost OSD)

Regarding the test track, please set you expectation to as low as possible in terms what it actually is. It is just a single strip of pavement right next to the FDC parking lot. The pavement is in a straight line and no longer than 150 yards/meters and I might have been a little bit generous there with the length measurement. It truly is the most pointless thing in the whole experience. The delivery specialist jokingly apologized to us couple of times when I asked about the test track because of how embarrassing the so called test track is.

Oh man, I'm deeply sorry to hear that William is the reason of why your order got so messed up. I feel like an idiot and I shouldn't have brought it up.

+1 on the so called test track. It's really just a clever way for Volvo to convert the car to "used" status for purposes of OSD shipping. It's pretty lame. You should take that XC60 out for a real spin. It's not like its yours after all, so put it through its paces and don't be gentle.
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription (OSD March 2016) Electric Silver/Charcoal, Matte Tech Black 234 Wheels, Convenience, Vision, Polestar, Intellisafe Upgrade (PA2)
      2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
      1999 Acura NSX Alex Zanardi Edition 32/50

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
      Julie

I hope everything gets sorted for you. I'm sorry this has been a nightmare.

Regarding the "test track". That is sort of a running joke here and with the delivery people. Apparently they make the delivery people explicitly say "test track". You're thinking Indy 500 or Nascar circle track with all left hand turns aren't you. Nope. One small straight strip of asphalt in front of FDC. Has a few potholes. Maybe a quarter mile. Maybe. There is a nice little highway just beyond that that could work as a test track though
      I agree - if only out of curiousity you could check it out, but it's literally a single lane road with two cul-de-sacs (one at either end) and a driveway with stopsign in the middle that lets you in and out of it from the FDC parking lot.

@JulieK, A better idea is to borrow their Volvo and drive it to the Museum and back.

Your dealer's mishandling and then nonchalant attitude about this is just remarkable and they should be sanctioned and prevented from any future OSDs by Volvo USA. How they did not abide by the intent of the Volvo USA contract for OSD should be a red flag if in fact they've put themselves in as co-owners or owners of a car for which they took your deposit. For them to put you through this and then have the audacity to tell you "it's their car legally and you can't drive it" is unbelievable since in effect you're the one you ordered it and they injected themselves into it. Plus are you legally "co-owners" anyway? Tell them to piss off and drive the car! You'll have legal authority to if you're on the registration, MCO and you're the ones designed to officially pick it up anyway.
      Last edited by VolvoUhu; 09-07-2017 at 11:36 PM.
      --

Finally, I'm torn about whether to share this information with you or not, but I feel an obligation to do so given the high praise and specific call-outs recommending William Marks on this thread. FYI, my husband and I worked with William Marks and his dealership in Walnut Creek, California.
      Julie,
      I'm really sorry for your experience. This is not what OSD is supposed to be.

We had two wonderful OSDs with William without a single issue.

The only "trouble" we ran into was on the last OSD: I forgot my checkbook the day that we were picking up the car. William had warned me twice that I had to pay the sales tax at that time. I have no excuse: I simply forgot. To make matters worse, it was a saturday afternoon! Thankfully, we found an open bank office nearby. William took us there, we got the check we needed and drove home happy in our new XC90.

I'm confident that William and Walnut Creek Volvo will learn from this experience so it doesn't happen again.
      2018 XC90 T8 AWD Momentum Plus, Denim Blue, convenience, air suspension, B&W, HUD, etc
      2005 S60 2.5T AWD (OSD) Platinum Green, Premium, Convenience, Climate, Bi-Xenon, etc
      Previous:
      2016 XC90 T6 AWD (OSD) Momentum Plus, Magic Blue, vision, convenience, air suspension, B&W, HUD, etc
      2004 XC90 T6 AWD (gone but not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoUhu View Post
      I agree - if only out of curiousity you could check it out, but it's literally a single lane road with two cul-de-sacs (one at either end) and a driveway with stopsign in the middle that lets you in and out of it from the FDC parking lot.
      If you are curious, here is a google map pointer to the so-called "test track": FDC and test track

The potholes may have been put here on purpose to allow you to test the car steering...
      I've seen longer driveways

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast