New S60 T6 Owner! - Page 10
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
      Suspension Install

As promised above, I finally...

FINALLY(!)...

installed my R-Design suspension and H&R springs. Well mostly... I still need to put in the rear shocks when I can get on the lift at the Army Crafts Shop and actually work some muscle into those bolts.

I enlisted the garage of a friend of mine to use for the install, which was clutch, and packed the car and went. He has absolutely zero tools (minus a screwdriver and hammer) and zero mechanical aptitude. I was on my own.

Two days later, I brought the car home back in one piece. It was a bit of an ordeal, mostly because 1) I've never done this before, and 2) I ran into a few snags along the way. The tie rod on the driver's side was fused, and I had to leave the car in my buddy's garage for two nights until the new one arrived.

It was a bit of a mess with the rusted bolts and the strut/knuckle, but I figured it all out and got it all together again.

DIY write up posted in this thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...llation-Thread

Here are a few shots of the results below.

I had to take the spacers off for now since the rear tire would not fit nicely as it is too tall at the 235/45 size and rubs the fender liner with the 15 mm spacer installed.

Prior to install and with 10 mm Eibach front/15 mm H&R rear spacers:

After install and with no spacers installed:

The ride is firm, but not too firm, and it definitely feels more planted on the road and less roll is evident on the corners. It was worth the effort.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

More images of the rear.

I think the newer shocks that I haven't installed yet might raise the rear a tad, I need to find a way to break those rear bolts. The space under the car on jack stands wasn't enough to get the pry bar in there.

2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

Blue interior LED's

Again, with the theme, I installed some new blue LED 194 bulbs to replace the initially white, then amber interior dome LED's I installed over the last few years.

These new bulbs are available from SuperbrightLEDs.com. They are glass 194's and fit in place of many filament based bulbs. They have a single SMD LED that is sheathed in a diffuser, so you get 360 degrees of illuminance.

The listing is here: https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...5-lumens/6325/

Here is a lineup of the white, amber, and blue LED's (from right to left) I've used in the domes.

I initially went from white to amber because it was too bright! Whites were rated at 100+ lm and the amber were around 20 lm or so. I also wanted to try an orange interior light for an "orange" car.

They were a bit on the dim side, and I got tired of the color.

Oddly, the blue LED's are rated for ~20 lm as well, but they appear higher in intensity. I think it has mostly to do with the spread.

The interior environment is fun and interesting when you get in at dark.
      Last edited by p.rico; 08-31-2020 at 09:47 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

After the H&R install, I couldn't help myself and jumped on a set of 18" R-Design Ixions nearby. I've always loved these wheels and fancied turning this car into a faux R-Design. Well, i'm almost there... just need a R-Design bumper (maybe next year... to recover from this spending spree).

I was able to reinstall the 10 mm Eibach spacers on the front axle and 15 mm H&R spacers on the rear since the Ixion's had the standard 235/40 sized 18" tires. There is no rubbing with this setup and the car's stance looks great now. Like really great!

This ride has come a long way in three years!

When I bought it in August 2017:

As of September 2020:

EDIT: Better camera photo.
      Last edited by p.rico; 09-08-2020 at 12:12 PM.

Looks so good low. Might have to do the same.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
      2015 V60 R-Design - Onyx Black Metallic / Off Black
      2004 Mazda 6s Touring - 3.0 V6 / Manual
      2008 Suzuki SV650 - Pearl Novelty Black
      2002 SVT Focus Turbo - Dead and gone

Quote Originally Posted by emgrock1 View Post
      Looks so good low. Might have to do the same.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
      The gentleman that sold me the H&R springs and Volvo sports suspension kit also sent me his original R-Design springs, and I was this close to uninstalling the H&R's from the strut, because I wasn't sure of fitment issues. I am so glad I didn't. The car looked fine on the 235/45's but without the offset, it was missing something. The car back on the stock 235/40's and with the spacers back in has the perfect stance, and my car is so much happier now on throttle. I had not realized how much it was struggling with acceleration on the oversized tire, but it is a somewhat night and day difference on how the car accelerates and how it feels during shifts. I would have in the past sold people on the upsizing, but the change in acceleration (whether it's important to you or not) is something to consider.

I will add that today I drove to work on my new General 235/40R18's and it definitely felt a lot rougher on the roads than it did with the larger tire, so there's that. I guess I've have to get used to the bumps and highway gaps again.
      Last edited by p.rico; 09-17-2020 at 09:04 PM.

Updates on the wheels.

Sold my Sleipners to a nice guy wanting to put them on his P3 S80. I really do like them and kind of wish I didn't sell them, but they were sitting in the basement at this point with no use and the wrong tire size to fit the dropped and spaced out car.

Due to the bad shape of the Ixion wheels, I looked for a place to refinish them back up to OE spec. The curbing was terrible on most of the wheels, but even worse, the finish on the wheels was peeling and there was missing areas of paint where old wheel weights were scraped off (seriously, scraped off ). I tried my best with some cutting polish, but the haze was too much and the paint was shot anyways, so it was going to bother me if I didn't do anything about it.

This place a couple of miles away from me performed refinishing services. They used to only provide services to OE dealers and insurance companies, but opened up the door for anyone to come get their wheels refinished several years back. https://sportscartire.com

Dropped off my car on a Monday morning, and picked it up on Wednesday early afternoon. The wheels look amazing! They did the whole process - stripped, checked/fixed any bends, painted, CNC'ed cut faces, and lacquered. The cost was ~$150 each wheel.

Wheels before:

Wheels after:

They look like factory new OE wheels again.

I replaced the worn AS/3+'s with another set of General G-MAX AS-05's. I was impressed with their longevity and ride the last time, combined with the price.

My only concern is that the 235's don't provide any coverage to the wheel lip, which was surprising, as the same size width clearly covered the lip on the Sleipner wheel. Given that both are the same width (8"), I presume the Ixion wheel is actually wider on the bead for the "look." I don't have the Sleipners any more, or I'd measure that to confirm. In hindsight, maybe it would have made more sense to get a 245 mm width, but c'est la vie.
      Last edited by p.rico; 10-09-2020 at 10:08 AM.

Since the beginning of ownership, I have always been iffy about running a vanity plate up front. However, the car came with a license plate mounted, so I went with it, since I couldn't find a viable option for cleaning up/covering the bumper holes.

I initially looked online for a set of color matched plugs, and looked at https://www.bumperplugs.com/. They have virtually every Volvo color...except a few, 704 (Vibrant Copper) being what I needed. For making them, they wanted me to buy a set of six pairs, at a cost of ~$150, which I rebuffed.

Finally, I got tired of running the plate and decided to try to make some plugs myself.

I went out to Home Depot and bought two pairs of these 3/16" nylon hole plugs.

I have a kit of Volvo touch up paint (color + clear), so I figured I'd use that to color the plugs.

I sanded the surfaces down to try to get good adherence of the paint, but it wasn't doing it. I needed a primer, but had none.

Luckily, I came up with a solution. There was a leftover can of this copper rose spray paint that we had used on a home project. Figuring it was probably going to make for a good base coat, and that the color was close to the final color, I used it as a base layer.

Once that layer of copper rose spray paint dried, I coated the surface with the touch up paint, and it adhered beautifully. I did two coats of the paint over an hour of time. The touch up paint has been expired for two years, and it showed... there were clumps of cured paint I had to keep clearing away from the brush to get good paint.

Once that dried, I did two heavy coats of the touch up clear coat. They came out better than I expected.

I took the plate off the car and used a drill to enlarge the holes to 3/16" and shaved some of the raised edging a bit. Trust me, that was a bit nerve-racking. There was no going back now.

Turned out really nice! Someone had backed into my car previously and pushed the plate frame into the bumper, which is the source of those weird reliefs on the bumper and the vertical scratches, but I don't mind it too much, and think this looks much cleaner, even with the imperfections.

Quote Originally Posted by p.rico View Post
      Updates on the wheels.

Sold my Sleipners to a nice guy wanting to put them on his P3 S80. I really do like them and kind of wish I didn't sell them, but they were sitting in the basement at this point with no use and the wrong tire size to fit the dropped and spaced out car.

Due to the bad shape of the Ixion wheels, I looked for a place to refinish them back up to OE spec. The curbing was terrible on most of the wheels, but even worse, the finish on the wheels was peeling and there was missing areas of paint where old wheel weights were scraped off (seriously, scraped off ). I tried my best with some cutting polish, but the haze was too much and the paint was shot anyways, so it was going to bother me if I didn't do anything about it.

This place a couple of miles away from me performed refinishing services. They used to only provide services to OE dealers and insurance companies, but opened up the door for anyone to come get their wheels refinished several years back. https://sportscartire.com

Dropped off my car on a Monday morning, and picked it up on Wednesday early afternoon. The wheels look amazing! They did the whole process - stripped, checked/fixed any bends, painted, CNC'ed cut faces, and lacquered. The cost was ~$150 each wheel.

Wheels before:

Wheels after:

They look like factory new OE wheels again.

I replaced the worn AS/3+'s with another set of General G-MAX AS-05's. I was impressed with their longevity and ride the last time, combined with the price.

My only concern is that the 235's don't provide any coverage to the wheel lip, which was surprising, as the same size width clearly covered the lip on the Sleipner wheel. Given that both are the same width (8"), I presume the Ixion wheel is actually wider on the bead for the "look." I don't have the Sleipners any more, or I'd measure that to confirm. In hindsight, maybe it would have made more sense to get a 245 mm width, but c'est la vie.
      Wow, great job!

I've thought about having my wheels redone too, but seems that every time I fix something it gets damaged again. I've replaced windshields twice, and both times within a month they got a bad rock chip. I just know that if I fix my wheels I will run into a curb and put some road rash back on them... (sigh)
      Current: 2012 S60 R Design, P* tune - "Speedy Rabbit" (Named by granddaughter after a spirited run)
      Traded: 1999 S80 T-6 - "Brit"
      Traded: 1983 850 GLT - "Samson"

I was still getting some creaks and pops within the door panels, especially over rough bumps and expansion gaps on the interstate, so I removed them again to figure out which parts were the culprit. It turns out the window switch panels were most of the damage.

I deadened all of the clips (yellow in picture) with butyl rubber and also applied some foam tape to the top seam where the window switch interfaces with the door panel at the top leading edge.

I also purchased some PU foam padding from Amazon (took nearly a month to arrive from China) and placed a few squares in the door panel to help with standoff and with vibrations at key areas where wiring interfaces with the door panel.

I added some foam tape to the BLIS/tweeter pod interface as well.

These helped pretty significantly.

I'm going to now work toward getting the subwoofer/amp installed to take the workload off my door woofers and fill in the low end (which will probably negate most of the work I did to deaden the doors/panels in the first place).
      P.Rico. I am getting the same creaking from the switch panel on the door. How exactly did you pop that? I don't want to damage mine. I have tried in the back and around the door pull. A lot of effort is not moving it and I don't want to break it. TIA.
      Astigmatic Visionary

Quote Originally Posted by S-Works View Post
      P.Rico. I am getting the same creaking from the switch panel on the door. How exactly did you pop that? I don't want to damage mine. I have tried in the back and around the door pull. A lot of effort is not moving it and I don't want to break it. TIA.
      Wedge a bone tool into the space between the switch panel and the door near the pull handle area and work the switch panel up from that edge toward the front of the door. You will have to pull it up hard, the clips that hold the switch panel into the yellow-colored clips are tight.

Wedge a bone tool into the space between the switch panel and the door near the pull handle area and work the switch panel up from that edge toward the front of the door. You will have to pull it up hard, the clips that hold the switch panel into the yellow-colored clips are tight.
      I picked up the replacement panel when my car went in for the door latch recall THREE MONTHS ago, but this afternoon was the first time I attempted the repair. I was able to use my bare hands to remove the old one. Great photo and advice! My door now looks great.
      2002 V70 T5a 194k RTI/Hilton Stage 1/336mm brakes/Bilstein B8s/H&R springs
      2002 V70 NA 278k HU-803/T5 suspension/305mm brakes
      2003 V70 T5m 251k Hilton Stage 2/Delrin subframe bushings/R front sway bar/R manifold/Jetex catback/Re-Volv DP/Simota CCI
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design 69k IPD RSB

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10