SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

MY18: Volvo S60 and V60 Polestar with carbon fibre aerodynamic enhancements, increasing downforce by 30%

29K views 83 replies 36 participants last post by  chris@swedespeed 
#1 ·

Polestar, the performance brand of Volvo Cars, has unveiled the Model Year 2018 Volvo S60 and V60 Polestar, complete with additional aerodynamic components made from lightweight carbon fibre material that increase downforce by 30% for improved performance and handling. A limited number of 1,500 vehicles will be produced, with all cars receiving a unique number on the tread plate.

The new aerodynamic exterior package has been developed jointly by the engineers of Polestar and Cyan Racing, the motorsport partner of Polestar, with data and learnings derived from the World Touring Car Championship (WTCC) programme where the team is involved in the title fight.

The aerodynamic enhancements include a new front splitter, side sills and a rear spoiler extension, all made in lightweight carbon fibre, increasing the downforce by 30 per cent. The new components increase grip and high-speed stability, providing a car with the duality of being at ease in everyday driving as well as providing the driver with further control and feedback on an inspiring stretch of road or during an evasive manoeuvre for example.

Many of these components were developed and tested during Polestar Cyan Racing's recently-revealed secret Nürburgring test where a Polestar S60 claimed the record for the fastest four-door road legal car around the infamous Nordschleife circuit.

Other visual changes include high-gloss black Polestar diamond cut wheels, carbon fibre door mirror casings and a new colour; Bursting Blue Metallic. The interior has been updated with a new seat upholstery, blue contrast stitching and Polestar embroidering.

More than 250 components have been changed compared to the 'standard' Volvo model to create a car with all the usability and practicality of the Volvo S60 and V60, but also delivering all-year round sports car performance. Key component changes include the adjustable Öhlins shock absorber system and six-piston Brembo brake callipers with 371 millimetre discs.

The S60 and V60 Polestar retains the award-winning 367-hp Drive-E engine, one of the most powerful four-cylinder production engines in the world, with fuel consumption and emissions at a class-leading level of 7,8 l/100 km and 179 CO2 g/km.

"The Model Year 18 S60 and V60 Polestar models are the pinnacle of our road car programmes that we have been developing successfully since our first road car was launched in 2013," said Jörgen Ronstad, Vice President, Product Strategy & Management at Polestar.

"The aerodynamic enhancements, combined with other small but important changes, further enhances our base philosophy of a performance car for all roads and conditions, transferring technology and learnings from track to road."

Technical Overview

Performance
Volvo S60 Polestar
0-100 km/h 4.7 sec
0-200 km/h 17.2 sec
0-60 mph 4.4 sec
0-120 mph 15.6 sec
Top speed 250 km/h*/155 mph*

Volvo V60 Polestar
0-100 km/h 4.8 sec
0-200 km/h 17.4 sec
0-60 mph 4.5 sec
0-120 mph 15.8 sec
Top speed 250 km/h*/155 mph*

* = Electronically limited

Chassis
Adjustable Polestar Öhlins shock absorbers
Front strut brace with carbon fibre enforcement
Stiffer top mount front and rear
Stiffer tie blade bushing
Polestar optimised steering
80% stiffer springs compared to S/V60 T6 R-Design
Front: 60 N/mm
Rear: 67 N/mm (S60)
72 N/mm (V60)

Tyres and rims
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/35 ZR20 (95Y) XL with cavity damping
Black Polestar bespoke rims, 20×8"

Engine
4-cylinder inline engine with turbo and supercharger
1969 cc
270 kW (367 hp DIN / 362 hp SAE) @ 6000 rpm
470 Nm (347 lb-ft) @ 3100-5100 rpm
Max 7000 rpm
Max boost 2.0 bar
Polestar 3.0" stainless full-flow active exhaust system with twin 3.5" tail pipes
Higher capacity turbo
Strengthened conrods
Strengthened camshaft
Higher capacity fuel pump
Higher capacity air filter
Higher capacity air intake

Transmission
BorgWarner four-wheel drive
Polestar calibration for more rear torque dynamic distribution
Polestar calibrated stability control system
8-speed Geartronic automatic gearbox with paddle shifters
Faster gearshifts
Curve-hold functionality
Off-throttle functionality
Optimised shift precision

Brakes
Front: Polestar/Brembo 6 piston brake calipers
371×32 mm ventilated and floating Brembo discs
Rear: 302×22 mm ventilated discs
New brake pads for model year 2018

Curb weight
1753 kg / 3865 lb (S60)
1800 kg / 3968 lb (V60)

Features
Launch control
Sport+ mode

Aerodynamics
Polestar carbon fibre front splitter
Polestar carbon fibre side sills
Polestar carbon fibre spoiler extension (S60)
Polestar front splitter corners
Polestar rear spoiler
Polestar diffuser

Interior and exterior
Sport seats with charcoal, nubuk, blue thread and Polestar imprint
Steering wheel with blue thread and leather/nubuk
Carbon fibre centre stack
Nubuk inlay in doors
Nubuk centre armrest
Polestar gearshift knob
Polestar carpets with blue thread
Polestar sport pedals and footrest
Polestar door sills with numbering

Colors
Bursting Blue Premium Metallic
Cyan Racing Blue
Onyx Black Metallic
Bright Silver Metallic
Ice White Solid

Equipment
Sunroof and colour only options, all others included in base specification

Fuel tank
67,5 litres

Fuel consumption (combined)
7,8 l/100 km (S60)
8,1 l/100 km (V60)

CO2 emission
179 g/km (S60)
186 g/km (V60)

Environmental Classification
Euro 6b

About Polestar
Polestar is Volvo Car Group's performance road car brand and was founded by Polestar Racing, today known as Cyan Racing. Polestar's birth was a result of Cyan Racing's race engineers desire to explore how technology behind the multiple title-winning success in racing could be applied to the performance of road going Volvo cars, on all roads and conditions in everyday life. The first road-going performance Concepts were launched in 2010 and the first performance cars, based on the Volvo S60 and V60, were ready in 2012. In 2015, Volvo Cars acquired Polestar Performance. Today, Polestar builds the S60 and V60 Polestar, a 367-hp performance road car with over 250 developments over-and-above the standard Volvo products. It also offers Polestar Engineered performance hardware upgrades and powertrain software optimisations for existing Volvo products.

In the future, Polestar will also become a new separately-branded electrified high-performance car company. Polestar will offer a portfolio of bespoke Polestar branded cars that will no longer carry a Volvo logo. Polestar will enjoy specific technological and engineering synergies with Volvo Cars and benefit from significant economies of scale as a result of its connection to Volvo. These synergies will allow it to design, develop and build world beating electrified high performance cars.

See less See more
#66 ·
Did they ever offer any of the real Polestar editions with a manual transmission? I remember seeing a Polestar "concept" making the rounds being shown in quite a few "online videos"....but I never knew "if" they actually ever released a real Polestar with a manual tranny? Anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#67 ·
Their concept vehicles have been stick only.

The shame of it is that we got the great suspension and other upgrades from the concept.. We just didn't get the matching drivetrain. Given the limited sales of the Polestar engineered vehicles as it was I really don't understand why they weren't offered with stick.

Generally, I think they gave up on trying to offer more power as they couldn't meet efficiency requirements in the various markets so that really limited the amount of power Polestar could put in the production vehicles. Given Volvo's low volume this would have cost them a lot in the US market due to how CAFE standards work and I can't imagine Euro market would have been much better.

#68 ·
The amount of changes necessary to add more power would not have been justified. No P3 S60/V60 used the M66 transmisson used on the concepts, so to put that into production would have been a significant R&D expense for what was supposed to be just 750 cars. Combine that with all of the additional CAFE testing and you have a program with costs spiraling out of control. When it came down to it, it was a compromise between the Engineers and the Bean Counters.

#72 ·
I put this here as I could not find a topic that would fit better (maybe the moderators can move this post to a more appropriate topic, in case needed...)

did anyone try to fit these
http://www.vivaperformance.com/polestar-performance-roof-spoiler-lip-volvo-v60/

little extra fins onto the OE P* tailgate spoiler...?

Are they compatible? Maybe someone from VIVA Performance can confirm the fitment...?

I think they would add that extra bit of sportiness to the overall looks of the car, and make the whole silhouette a bit more aggressive...

Thanks for Your advices!

#78 · (Edited)
Anyone knows the part number of the genuine Volvo 2018 carbon front lip?

I love resurrecting old threads! The part number for the Volvo carbon fiber front splitter pictured above is 31664468. The cheapest I've found it online is $1,450. I would love to get this for my car, but it's way too expensive IMHO. I've seen the one from Elevate, but I'm just not feeling it. I was hoping that someone would fabricate a replica of the OEM carbon fiber splitter for around $500 and we could do a group buy.

Has anyone on this forum found the OEM carbon fiber splitter for less or a good replica (besides the one from Elevate)?

Thank you

#77 ·
What MY is your RD? Looks great on your car, I am a little worried of putting two different blacks together I have black Sapphire. Also did you feel any performance difference at higher speeds.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

#80 ·
I have been speaking with Don at Elevate regarding a replica of the OEM front splitter (Volvo part # 31664468) in carbon fiber and primered fiberglass. Price should come in around 1/3 the price of the OEM front splitter. I should have more information soon regarding a group buy!

#81 ·
the idea was abandoned? I cannot find a replica identical to that of P *

#82 ·
Not sure what ever happened with Elevate's efforts to develop and market an affordable replica of the OEM carbon fiber front splitter. During my conversations with Don, he understandably had an up front minimum order requirement in order to make it cost effective for him. I landed up purchasing the OEM carbon fiber front splitter from Volvo. I was able to get it for $1,200 after applying a $200 Volvo parts & accessories rebate. I am glad I decided to go with the real deal, as none of the aftermarket splitters come close. I did however purchase the rocker panel side blades from Maxton.

#83 ·
Yes no one has created a cheap identical replica, the design is not complex and in ABS or carbon it would have interested people

#84 · (Edited)
Does any one happen to have the 2018 Polestar carbon fiber side sill extension part numbers?

31664467 - 2018 S60 Polestar carbon fiber rear spoiler extension
31664468 - 2018 S/V60 Polestar lower front carbon fiber winglet spoiler extension

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.