VIDA Dice 2014D VM Image - Download Link - Page 28
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28
      I followed the video posted by Roxanaschram on setting up the VirtualBox. Everything installed without issues. Now when I start the VirtualBox and click Start to run the image, I am greeted with a message that says that it cannot start and the details tell me that Hyper-V has to be enabled. Digging deeper into this issue, there should be a setting in the machine BIOS to enable/disable this. Unfortunately, I looked all thru my BIOS and could not find a setting for this, so I am assuming that my machine cannot run this setup. I am running Windows 10-64x.

I did find a tool called "Coreinfo" that will show if the machine is capable of running Hyper-V.

Thanks RoxanaSchram for all your work here and for posting that video. Might want to add in the requirements page that for the VirtualBox to run, Hyper-V has to be enabled in the BIOS and the service started.
      Last edited by KArthur1; 07-31-2020 at 06:50 AM.
      2010 S40i 2.4L (B5244S4) 4Dr. - Made in Belgium

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by KArthur1 View Post
      I followed the video posted by Roxanaschram on setting up the VirtualBox. Everything installed without issues. Now when I start the VirtualBox and click Start to run the image, I am greeted with a message that says that it cannot start and the details tell me that Hyper-V has to be enabled. Digging deeper into this issue, there should be a setting in the machine BIOS to enable/disable this. Unfortunately, I looked all thru my BIOS and could not find a setting for this, so I am assuming that my machine cannot run this setup. I am running Windows 10-64x.

I did find a tool called "Coreinfo" that will show if the machine is capable of running Hyper-V.

Thanks RoxanaSchram for all your work here and for posting that video. Might want to add in the requirements page that for the VirtualBox to run, Hyper-V has to be enabled in the BIOS and the service started.
      hyperv.jpg
      2002 Volvo V70XC * Stage 2 Hilton Racing Tune * Custom Exhaust * Custom bi-xenon projector headlights (pampered)
      1997 Acura SLX 4wd - 2" lift - Locker - bi-xenon HID headlights - Cerwin Vega speakers (daily driver)

One of the reasons I've switched to VirtualBox is that you can technically run it without virtualization enabled in the bios. Hence why I removed it from that first page. Also, every computer for the last 10 years at least has had virtualization support.
      2002 Volvo V70XC * Stage 2 Hilton Racing Tune * Custom Exhaust * Custom bi-xenon projector headlights (pampered)
      1997 Acura SLX 4wd - 2" lift - Locker - bi-xenon HID headlights - Cerwin Vega speakers (daily driver)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I got the following trying to open the ova in vmware player 15.6
      "Line 58: Unsupported Element 'Storage Item' Line 67: Unsupported element 'EthernetPortItem'"
      Last edited by mdkf; 08-01-2020 at 02:01 PM.
      2012 S60 T5

Quote Originally Posted by roxanaschram View Post
      One of the reasons I've switched to VirtualBox is that you can technically run it without virtualization enabled in the bios. Hence why I removed it from that first page. Also, every computer for the last 10 years at least has had virtualization support.
      When I tried to select the Hyper-V under the accelleration tab, I can select it, but I see this error at the bottom of the dialog "Invalid settings dectected". When I hover over it, I get more information, but nothing that I do will allow me to save the settings (Ok is greyed out). I googled the error message and from what I can tell others have had this problem also with hyper-V 6.1. They say to install 6.0 instead, so I am going to uninstall/reinstall and see if that will fix my issue.

I never was able to find any BIOS setting to enable/disable Hyper-V, but I do see this when I run the "Coreinfo64.exe",.... so I am thinking that it is enabled, but not sure.

Because you have an antique Intel CPU, you need to try "Legacy" or "none". If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll upload the old Windows 7 version of VIDA. You can run it with VMWare 12.0 which will support your CPU
      Last edited by roxanaschram; 08-01-2020 at 06:32 PM.

Because you have an antique Intel CPU, you need to try "Legacy" or "none". If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll upload the old Windows 7 version of VIDA. You can run it with VMWare 12.0 which will support your CPU
      I never could get the VirtualBox to work. Even in the "Legacy" mode. I think my problem might be my MB not supporting the Intel Hyper V.

I have VMWare Workstation 12 Player installed and I found a image in your VIDA DiCE>Builds>Unsupported>VIDA VMWare (Win10).7z dated 7/16/20. Let me give this a shot and see if I can get it going (downloading it now).

Thanks

P.S. The image that was there for the VMWare was built with a version above version 12. I presume it was built with the V15.... so I upgraded my install to version 15. Now when I try to run this, I get a message saying that "The host supports Intel VT-x, but Intel VT-x is disabled. I guess that is because my MB does not support that feature.
      Last edited by KArthur1; 08-02-2020 at 10:16 PM.

Awaiting Approval
      What could be wrong? Running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Pentium Dual-Core 2,2Ghz and 8GB RAM.

What is the model of your computer?

What is the model of your computer?
      My computer is a custom built machine. The MotherBoard is a EVGA X58-SLi . Not sure what you are looking for? Does that help?

P.S. I had VMWare running last year (See post #541) running VmWare Plyer Version 12. When I tried to run the VMWare player, it could not locate the file, so I downloaded a fresh copy. That is probably where the trouble started.
      Last edited by KArthur1; 08-03-2020 at 02:13 PM.

Success! After trying to fix the "Line 58: Unsupported Element 'Storage Item' Line 67: Unsupported element 'EthernetPortItem'" errors with VMWare Fusion with the sctl fix only to find that our corporate IT dept doesn't allow / include sctl, VirtualBox totally works. Happy dance.

Huge thanks to roxanaschram for putting this together. The instructions are great and the install video for VirtualBox made it even clearer.
      - peter
      '12 S60 Caspian Blue on beige & black
      '98 V70 T5 Red manual - dearly departed
      '01 Honda Odyssey EX

First, my setup: I am running Ubuntu 20.04 with Virtualbox 6.1, running windows 7 pro for VIDA.

I am pretty sure I had this working on my laptop before, but my Ubuntu is not detecting the usb, so it will not connect through to the VM. I did a search, but am not finding any linux drivers for the DicE. lsusb also does not show any results for the DICE.

Found my own fix, just posting for anyone else who might run into the same problem.

First, my linux host was not detecting the DICE unit, because I was not plugged in to the OBD port of the car. Once I hooked it up, it was recognized with the lsusb command as "SETEK AB DICE Automotive Adapter [0100]".

As far as getting the client OS (Windows 7, in this case), I had to add a USB Device Filter in the Settings:

For some reason I am unable to post photos???

Hope this helps save some time for someone.

Quote Originally Posted by KArthur1 View Post
      My computer is a custom built machine. The MotherBoard is a EVGA X58-SLi . Not sure what you are looking for? Does that help?
      P.S. I had VMWare running last year (See post #541) running VmWare Plyer Version 12. When I tried to run the VMWare player, it could not locate the file, so I downloaded a fresh copy. That is probably where the trouble started.
      I was hoping to find something in the manual that I could get you to check but it seems pretty basic. Sadly the virtualization technology version in that chipset/cpu are older and updated in new systems. If you need the old VMWare image that supports VMWare 12 I have it and can upload it.

Quote Originally Posted by deerewright View Post
      First, my setup: I am running Ubuntu 20.04 with Virtualbox 6.1, running windows 7 pro for VIDA.
      I am pretty sure I had this working on my laptop before, but my Ubuntu is not detecting the usb, so it will not connect through to the VM. I did a search, but am not finding any linux drivers for the DicE. lsusb also does not show any results for the DICE.
      I've never made a Windows 7 Virtualbox image. If you are using the image created by another member that posted it for reference in this thread, I can't help you with it. I've never even looked at it to see how well it was converted. If you need a virtualbox image, I do have a Windows 10 Virtualbox image and it's linked to in the first post.

As for the issue with the DICE not being recognized, it doesn't pull power from the USB port. It pulls it from the OBD2 port and thus WON'T be able to be seen by your computer until you have plugged it in as you saw. The only option to power it without using OBD2 port is through a 12v adapter plugged into the power port on the side. I'm not sure why you were trying to use the DICE without it being plugged it. I know some people have tried to update the firmware but that's not recommended on the Chinese version.

Also, Linux does not have drivers and doesn't need them. You don't use it with Linux. You use it with Windows. Linux will pass any device you want through to the VM regardless of it having a driver or not.

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28