2016 XC90 check engine P0171
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2016 XC90 check engine P0171

Got a system too lean bank 1 error last week. I took the car in and they stated they replaced a faulty fuel pressure sensor and a gasket. They did the smoke test and found leakage on the super charger resonator. Also updated the cars software to the latest version. 1.5 days later the check engine light and same code are happening. Seems even worse now cause at a stop light the engine was under revving. It didn't do that before. Anyone else had this issue on their newer model XC90? I can't find anything about it except on older models

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mcrusader View Post
      Got a system too lean bank 1 error last week. I took the car in and they stated they replaced a faulty fuel pressure sensor and a gasket. They did the smoke test and found leakage on the super charger resonator. Also updated the cars software to the latest version. 1.5 days later the check engine light and same code are happening. Seems even worse now cause at a stop light the engine was under revving. It didn't do that before. Anyone else had this issue on their newer model XC90? I can't find anything about it except on older models
      PCV hose cracked or faulty oil trap would be my guess.
      Disgruntled Volvo Technician & Owner.

DO NOT PM me with your car questions.

DO NOT GO INTO THE CAR BUSINESS.

Quote Originally Posted by gunshow View Post
      PCV hose cracked or faulty oil trap would be my guess.
      I had this long string of issues with my lemond car, they replaced PCV as well as breather hose, o2 sensors, supercharger resonator gasket and no fix. The day I got the new one it had a hundred errors and shifted like sh**.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2017 A4 Allroad P+ W/ Cold weather, warm weather, Florret silver on Charcoal. Loaded (AOA BUYBACK- óó> 2018 Prestige Florret silver full body paint, Warm weather, cold weather, DAP, ROW parts

2018 XC90 Momentum + Convenience, Air suspension, 21 Inch rims, Bright Silver with Charcoal Leather LOADED VCNA buyback ( From 2016 XC90 Osmium Grey)----

(2018 XC90 totaled by a driver who rear ended usóó-> into 2018 Q7 Florret silver Prestige, DAP, Adaptive chassis , cold weather, tow

2017 F150 XLT- 3.5/10 Speed- BLIS, Sport appearance Lightning blue

1946 CJ2A Restore

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Dropped it off this morning and it hasn't moved. They didn't even look at it today which kinda annoys me. I called and asked if they had any news and they just said they will have to keep it til Monday and they were looking at it. Yet it still is parked out front and it's been unlocked all day. I finally decided to lock it with my app. We will see Monday if it's gonna be fixed.

Did you ever find out what this was?

My 2016 T6 with 64,000 miles has a P0171, they diagnosed as supercharger resonator leak, replaced gasket, I pick up the car and make it 2 miles before CEL reappears....now they are telling me they arent sure 02 sensor will fix it, but that is next course of action.....of course I am not longer under warranty

Keep in mind that these cars are essentially moving computers with lots of sensors. The codes don't always pinpoint the specific problem. Often after repair the code is cleared then after driving it can come back. So it is a lot of diagnosis and replacement of parts. Hey I can remember the days when I had a Ford Flathead engine. It was a simple engine that used a lot of gas, had terrible emissions and constantly needed to have plugs, points, and condensers replaced. While it is no fun having your car sit at the dealership, Volvo is not alone, in that most all manufacturers have problems that are not always easy to pinpoint. Coming from the electronics world I can tell you that in general the automotive industry achieves close to 100% quality of components. However, you need to add the complexity of dealing with an uncontrolled environment of temperature, pressure, moisture, demand, etcetera. I am surprised sometimes in how well our modern cars perform given the many opportunities for failure that exist in any given component. I had one of the 2600 compliance Toyota Rav4EVs back in 2014. I had a airbag warning light come on. I ended up taking it in 4 times for repairs. After replacing many components of that system, they finally isolated a faulty airbag in the passenger seat. Sometimes it would take days for the dash lite to come on other times it would come on as I left the dealership. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by drmanny3 View Post
      Keep in mind that these cars are essentially moving computers with lots of sensors. The codes don't always pinpoint the specific problem. Often after repair the code is cleared then after driving it can come back. So it is a lot of diagnosis and replacement of parts. Hey I can remember the days when I had a Ford Flathead engine. It was a simple engine that used a lot of gas, had terrible emissions and constantly needed to have plugs, points, and condensers replaced. While it is no fun having your car sit at the dealership, Volvo is not alone, in that most all manufacturers have problems that are not always easy to pinpoint. Coming from the electronics world I can tell you that in general the automotive industry achieves close to 100% quality of components. However, you need to add the complexity of dealing with an uncontrolled environment of temperature, pressure, moisture, demand, etcetera. I am surprised sometimes in how well our modern cars perform given the many opportunities for failure that exist in any given component. I had one of the 2600 compliance Toyota Rav4EVs back in 2014. I had a airbag warning light come on. I ended up taking it in 4 times for repairs. After replacing many components of that system, they finally isolated a faulty airbag in the passenger seat. Sometimes it would take days for the dash lite to come on other times it would come on as I left the dealership. Go figure.
      VIDA should be able to help pinpoint the problem. It is not about more computers and software. Good software also makes it easier to monitor and troubleshoot issues.

Multiple service visits at cost of owner is detrimental to owner confidence.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by littlehandegan View Post

My 2016 T6 with 64,000 miles has a P0171, they diagnosed as supercharger resonator leak, replaced gasket, I pick up the car and make it 2 miles before CEL reappears....now they are telling me they arent sure 02 sensor will fix it, but that is next course of action.....of course I am not longer under warranty
      What wound up happening here?

I'm in the middle of a similar situation with my 2017 T6. CEL diagnosed as a cracked supercharger pipe, replaced and 10 days later CEL lights up again. Next morning, in walks the "turtle" and car was in reduced performance mode. Trucked to dealer and they're currently diagnosing. Working through potential fuel system problems, apparently.

Had the same issue with my 2016 D5
      cracked pipe from intercooler to turbo
      dealer replaced 2 pipes and said it is common issue for early models 2016 , was fixed in later models
      to much pressure since its a small engine with both turbo and supercharger , the PVC pipes just not handling the pressure and also have some oil after the turbo...
      i hope it will not return . also on diesel it can damage the DPF

in general in the engine there are about 5 pipes like this, better to replace all , any leak of air cause reduced power

i wonder how common indeed this issue for 2015-2017

Running into the same issue. Check engine kicked on and almost instantly got lower MPGs. Have the local volvo shop looking at it without much luck, trying to reproduce it without luck.

Car seems to run fine, doesn't seem like any power loss. I'll have them check the pipes for any cracks but anything else recommended? It's a 2016 model as well.

Bumping this ad I’ve just got the P0171 code as well. Any resolution?

I had a reoccurring CEL on my 2016 T6 and the dealer, over the course of 4 visits, replaced the oil trap (CEL came back), then replaced the fuel pump (CEL came back), then replaced the front O2 sensor (CEL came back) and finally the rear O2 sensor, and it hasn’t come back for about 3 months and counting.
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription (OSD March 2016) Electric Silver/Charcoal, Matte Tech Black 234 Wheels, Convenience, Vision, Polestar, Intellisafe Upgrade (PA2)
      2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
      1999 Acura NSX Alex Zanardi Edition 32/50

Quote Originally Posted by XC90TODD View Post
      I had a reoccurring CEL on my 2016 T6 and the dealer, over the course of 4 visits, replaced the oil trap (CEL came back), then replaced the fuel pump (CEL came back), then replaced the front O2 sensor (CEL came back) and finally the rear O2 sensor, and it hasnít come back for about 3 months and counting.
      Good to know. I was told by one shop that the problem is somewhere in the emissions but they weren't sure exactly where. O2 sensor seems like a reasonable place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by ramiavi View Post
      Had the same issue with my 2016 D5
      cracked pipe from intercooler to turbo
      dealer replaced 2 pipes and said it is common issue for early models 2016 , was fixed in later models
      to much pressure since its a small engine with both turbo and supercharger , the PVC pipes just not handling the pressure and also have some oil after the turbo...
      i hope it will not return . also on diesel it can damage the DPF

in general in the engine there are about 5 pipes like this, better to replace all , any leak of air cause reduced power

i wonder how common indeed this issue for 2015-2017

12/30/2019 So they fixed the issue by replacing all pipes? My 2016 XC90 T6 same code came up 2 days ago, 3 weeks prior to that I felt slight hesitation when gently touching gas pedal while moving over 30mph. I was under impression that one of the coils are going bad. But the code came up with the following possible issues.

Causes of the P0171 code may include:

A faulty fuel pressure regulator
      A weak fuel pump
      A clogged fuel filter
      A faulty powertrain control module
      A vacuum leak
      Faulty injector(s)
      Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
      A faulty mass air flow sensor

I'm following process of elimination, cleaned MAS, now trying to find out where the Sweed's hid the fuel filter on new models (not where it used to be on previous model XC90) Anyone know where to look for it? Also replaced spark plugs while I was going at it, 3 of them look fine but one is darker, not burned, just look smoked more than the other 3.

Can anyone who went trough this rough patch confirm that your car is now fixed and what caused the issue?

Update: 12/31/2019 Still not finding the fuel filter to replace. Meanwhile cleaned MAS and took the car for a test drive, the car drove nicely, check engine disappeared after about 13 miles. At that point I was jumping dancing behind the wheel but then I felt hesitation when accelerating, that happen again driving few more miles then the hesitation was more frequent and then at total travel distance of 40 miles the hesitation is now permanent. The fumes from the exhaust pipes smell like gas/acetone - check engine did not return but I'm expecting it to appear very soon.
      Next step: it looks like the MAS could be failing so I'm planning to pull MAS from my wife's 2019 XC60 to see if the car likes it, if it does then I'll know for sure that my XC90 needs new MAS. I will report once again.
      Last edited by ivinioXC90; 01-03-2020 at 08:25 AM.

I would start with the O2 sensors. From what I understand, the front one is readily accessible, but you have to drop the exhaust to access the rear one.
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription (OSD March 2016) Electric Silver/Charcoal, Matte Tech Black 234 Wheels, Convenience, Vision, Polestar, Intellisafe Upgrade (PA2)
      2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
      1999 Acura NSX Alex Zanardi Edition 32/50

Quote Originally Posted by XC90TODD View Post
      I would start with the O2 sensors. From what I understand, the front one is readily accessible, but you have to drop the exhaust to access the rear one.
      If the car has faulty O2 sensor I would assume a Check Engine light would appear? I had CEL on but now it's off.

Update on what I've done so far: I replaced all spark plugs, replaced all coils and new MAS. I no longer have the Check Engine light on but still feel that hesitation while driving/applying my foot on a gas pedal. The exhaust fumes no longer smell like gas/acetone - I guess I can describe it as normal smell that comes out from the exhaust pipes. What I did notice is that there is an Air leak that sounds like a farting noise somewhere in between the engine and the engine wall. I sprayed brake cleaner on all air lines to see if the engine will start choking on it to identify if one of the air lines sucking extra air, but I didn't notice any difference. That farting noise what appears to me as an exhaust air leak is more prominent when engine is cold.
      Some of the guys reported that dealer replaced super charger resonator, could that be the case? But I don't see how that would affect the car to hesitate and jerk when accelerating.
      Last edited by ivinioXC90; 01-03-2020 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by littlehandegan View Post

Did the new O2 sensor fixed the issue?

Noticed something different today. The check engine light was on (per usual) but as soon as I filled up - it went away.

I noticed after a few min of driving that it hesitated slightly at a low speed.

Could it be something with the gas tank cap?

Quote Originally Posted by fladg View Post
      Noticed something different today. The check engine light was on (per usual) but as soon as I filled up - it went away.

I noticed after a few min of driving that it hesitated slightly at a low speed.

Could it be something with the gas tank cap?

What year is your Volvo? I have no gas cap on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ivinioXC90 View Post
      What year is your Volvo? I have no gas cap on mine.
      Sorry should have said flap. There is no cap but thinking maybe itís one of the flaps?

I've seen leaks at various points going to the supercharger cause this code. The normal steps for fault tracing are:
      -Smoke check the intake and check for leaks
      -Repair any leaks if found or
      -Try a front oxygen sensor if no leaks are found.

I haven't seen any other causes of P0171 on SPA cars yet. That doesn't mean others are not possible though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      I've seen leaks at various points going to the supercharger cause this code. The normal steps for fault tracing are:

I haven't seen any other causes of P0171 on SPA cars yet. That doesn't mean others are not possible though.
      Good advice, thank you!
      After I replaced all 4 spark plugs and cleaned MAS I took the car for a test drive and this is when I notices that CEL light went away. However, the car still jerks forward while driving with RPM's under 2000. Since then I drove more than 100 miles and the check engine light has yet to reappear.

fladg: I see what you saying. Visually the flap is in brand new condition, no marks or deep scratches. But I am planning to pressure test it when I get the chance.

Update: 1/7/20 The car stalled couple of times on red light and stop signs. It did that when the car was in engine auto shutoff mode. Corporate Volvo confirmed that the vehicle has Platinum extended warranty, I wonder if they'll cover 100% to fix this issue.
      Last edited by ivinioXC90; 01-07-2020 at 08:39 AM.

Thanks for the advice! I ran it over to the shop this morning to test. We'll see what they come back with.

Looks like there is a leak on one of the turbo pipe connectors. Ordered a new to eliminate the leak.
      Seems like its a bit of work to take it all apart and then put it back together.

Looks like there is a leak on one of the turbo pipe connectors. Ordered a new to eliminate the leak.
      Seems like its a bit of work to take it all apart and then put it back together.
      Did that fix the issue? It seems that an air leak is common problem on these vehicles and Volvo is yet to admit it. West Chester PA Volvo Dealership performed a smoke test on my XC90 and found an air leak "a supercharger needs to be resealed" they say. Whatever that means. The good news is that this job will be covered under the extended warranty or otherwise it would cost me $4500 I really hope that this will fix the issue. I will update once again once I get my volvo back.

Quote Originally Posted by ivinioXC90 View Post
      Did that fix the issue? It seems that an air leak is common problem on these vehicles and Volvo is yet to admit it. West Chester PA Volvo Dealership performed a smoke test on my XC90 and found an air leak "a supercharger needs to be resealed" they say. Whatever that means. The good news is that this job will be covered under the extended warranty or otherwise it would cost me $4500 I really hope that this will fix the issue. I will update once again once I get my volvo back.
      Itís going into the shop tomorrow. Iíll send an update after a days of driving it.

Itís going into the shop tomorrow. Iíll send an update after a days of driving it.

Well... first part replaced but now we have smoke coming out between the super charger and turbo. Waiting on new part and changing that out next.

It’s going into the shop tomorrow. I’ll send an update after a days of driving it.

Well... first part replaced but now we have smoke coming out between the super charger and turbo. Waiting on new part and changing that out next.

I usually replace all the seals at once. See this thread:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?t=613859

Thank you for the link!
      I would like to avoid whack a mole in the seals but repair shop said the turbo is easier to take off and then replace the seal in between.

The cost was much higher if the supercharger needed to be removed.

What do you think?

Thank you for the link!
      I would like to avoid whack a mole in the seals but repair shop said the turbo is easier to take off and then replace the seal in between.

The cost was much higher if the supercharger needed to be removed.

What do you think?

I honestly don't know specifically what seal(s) they are talking about.

Hi all, 2016 XC90 Inscription here...

Got the CEL code P0171 recently and took it to dealership. They made the fix which states: "tech scanned and found ecm-p017100, tech fault traced vacuum leak and found loose vacuum hose, tech secured hose and reset fuel air adaptations and performed ecm updates"

They are not telling me which vacuum hose was loose. Does this sound like the supercharger issue that is being discussed above? Should I be concerned?

I honestly don't know specifically what seal(s) they are talking about.
      Got all of the couplers replaced. The worst one was between the super charger and turbo. I was told even fitting the one on there itís a design flaw and that over time itíll break too.

Unfortunately check engine light is still on. Going to have to smoke tested again for sanity. O2 sensor as the next step?

Got every replaceable part done for the turbo/supercharger but check engine still throwing the same code.

Tested the O2 sensor and it shows correctly. Might still try to replace it and see.

Any other recommendation?

You were spot on... Had all of the resonators and gaskets replaced as it kept failing the smoke test. At the end smoke test was good but check engine was still on. Tested voltage to the O2 sensor, all passed but decided to replace it per your recommendation. Ended up fixing the issue. Expensive repair, but based on the mechanic's comments, it'll fail again on the 2016 as it's a faulty design. 2017+ have some changes so not sure the impact there.

37. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements