2016 XC90 check engine P0171 - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Results 36 to 43 of 43
    1. #36
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Minnesota
      Posts
      129


      Warning: Loud noise

      2016 XC90 - Started yesterday with check engine light and P0171 code. Noise is coming from the passenger side, very similar to a broken car alarm. Looks like it's going to be a second major fault just after the warranty expired.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #37
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      3,549
      Quote Originally Posted by Row57 View Post


      Warning: Loud noise

      2016 XC90 - Started yesterday with check engine light and P0171 code. Noise is coming from the passenger side, very similar to a broken car alarm. Looks like it's going to be a second major fault just after the warranty expired.
      Pull the oil cap. If it stops, it's the breather box (the plastic part the oil cap screws into). Not major.

    4. #38
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Minnesota
      Posts
      129
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Pull the oil cap. If it stops, it's the breather box (the plastic part the oil cap screws into). Not major.
      That fixed it. Would replacing the whole box would be the recommended way to go? Not a bad price if it's the part I found ( 32242753, 31670210, 32140004, 31430923 )
      Last edited by Row57; 05-29-2020 at 12:36 PM.

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #39
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      3,549
      Yes, you would replace the whole box.

    7. #40
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Minnesota
      Posts
      129
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Yes, you would replace the whole box.
      Replaced 32140004, cleared codes, and seems to be all better now. Glad it's not a supercharger issue. Thanks for the help.

    8. #41
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2020
      Posts
      1
      had the same code, used a cheap bluethooth obd withandroid car scanner and noted fuel trim at idle was over +30%, and at high rpms way lower, so vacum leak, in my case was the hose on the valve cover that was disconected, fix the leak and the fuel trim lowered but stil give me the code after some time.
      used the same app to check the o2 sensor behavior, and seems to be ok, so decided to look at maf sensor readings and noted they look ok, BUT the value reading was kinda low on idle, and not very high when i blip the throttle.
      long story short, removed the maf and cleaned with electric contact cleaner spray, the maf values raised and no more p0171.
      used the same app to clear the code on the ecu
      the maf sensor element is not visible so i have used the straw to spray the cleaner inside de maf.
      my dealer was unable to identify the problem to, if you look at internet p0171 is a very generic code so its dificult to diagnose, i would recomend to clean the maf sensor because is just 2 screws and a can of contact cleaner.

      sorry about my english.
      im from brazil.

    9. #42
      Junior Member General_Specific's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2020
      Location
      Edmonton
      Posts
      5
      P0171 repair success: Smoked and vacuum test the intake, no leak. EGR, all good no leak, check valves holding and no issues. Deleted code, and reset ECM. With no check engine light and base fuel trims, engine idle for 10 min, fuel trims normal and no check engine light. As soon as the engine leaves idle at higher RPMs, fuel trims go beyond normal and P0171 check engine shows up. Oxygen sensors are all showing normal parameters but decided to change bank 1 oxygen sensor (first O2 sensor close to the engine). With new O2 sensor (it seem to be a new O2 sensor update part number) and ECM reset, started engine and fuel trims normal. High idle, fuel trims holding no check engine. Drive tested 40 km no more P1071. Hesitance at lower speeds seems to be gone also. (2017/ XC90 / T6 Momentum)

      All this happened 120 km after taking it to my local Volvo dealer for service that included “fuel service”. I believe whatever fluid or fluid quantity used to flush the manifold and injectors ended up cooking my O2 sensor.
      Last edited by General_Specific; 07-04-2020 at 06:35 PM.
      2017 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum - White
      Edmonton AB - Canada

    10. #43
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Posts
      22
      Quote Originally Posted by General_Specific View Post
      P0171 repair success: Smoked and vacuum test the intake, no leak. EGR, all good no leak, check valves holding and no issues. Deleted code, and reset ECM. With no check engine light and base fuel trims, engine idle for 10 min, fuel trims normal and no check engine light. As soon as the engine leaves idle at higher RPMs, fuel trims go beyond normal and P0171 check engine shows up. Oxygen sensors are all showing normal parameters but decided to change bank 1 oxygen sensor (first O2 sensor close the the engine). With new O2 sensor (it seem to be a new O2 sensor update part number) and ECM reset, started engine and fuel trims normal. High idle, fuel trims holding no check engine. Drive tested 40 km no more P1071. Hesitance at lower speeds seems to be gone also. (2017/ XC90 / T6 Momentum)

      All this happened 120 km after taking it to my local Volvo dealer for service that included “fuel service”. I believe whatever fluid or fluid quantity used to flush the manifold and injectors ended up cooking my O2 sensor.
      Bummer we have to deal with it but that’s exactly what my issue was as well.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    11. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2