SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

TJs Laser Thread

18K views 164 replies 29 participants last post by  LloydDobler 
#1 ·
Hey guys! Picking up my new to me 99 Laser V70R at the end of the month. 122 pages of service history and was a Volvo Corporate car for the first year of its life! Can't wait to enjoy this car [emoji1591]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#4 ·
Holy crap. Congrats!!

#8 ·
Oooohhhh it's a '99.....this just keeps getting better and better! Congrats on getting an estate so you can finally join us in the cool kids club ;).

#9 ·
Score!

#10 ·
You guys being scared of 2000. Lol. Nothing wrong with a well maintained 5 speed auto. 203k and shifts perfectly. 5 speed is definitely better when comparing perfectly fine functioning transmissions.

#11 ·
You guys being scared of 2000. Lol. Nothing wrong with a well maintained 5 speed auto. 203k and shifts perfectly. 5 speed is definitely better when comparing perfectly fine functioning transmissions.

Chris that's because it's YOUR wagon which means it's been maintained with OCD levels of care. Ben had to do the trans in the Venetian after all.

#16 ·
Nice Laser...to say the least
As for 2000 trannies, ours at 144,xxxK miles shifts perfectly (with many flushes and/or drain and fills).

#18 ·
Yes TJ we need more pics in here. I know you have them now ;)

#20 ·
#22 ·
#28 ·
Laser. Trust me. And the wood trim is cool. Better than the normal aluminum. I agree. But black marble or black walnut would be cool. I think only cool people have lasers with black marble.

I have a spare center piece if you go down that road lol.

#29 ·
Laser. Trust me. And the wood trim is cool. Better than the normal aluminum. I agree. But black marble or black walnut would be cool. I think only cool people have lasers with black marble.

I have a spare center piece if you go down that road lol.

I would love black marble. It has a red trim on the radio surround and the glove box but a regular wood on the shifter surround that is pretty beat.

#35 ·
And I like the wood looking trim. Mine has what looks like carbon fiber. It?s all stock, but I just bought it. I?m not sure if it?s real carbon fiber or what exactly it is? It actually blends in pretty well, but I think some wood would look more classy. The outside of mine is silver.

#38 ·
There was a Laser with Birch that just sold in Europe. Didn't save the pics sadly but I can confirm that it looked killer. Had the full setup with the birch wheel and shift knob too.

Justin had it in his Saffron C70; maybe we could get him to re-upload some of those pictures here. He had the complete setup, too.

#43 ·
#46 · (Edited)
^^^ NSFSS (Not safe for swedespeed)

Also, thanks for giving me the next idea for a gen ed paper on gender preferences in car color. I'll make sure to cite you (somehow??)...

In my case my Volvo is the ultimate responsible 90's car (at least in my life), because all the other Volvo's in my family are a bit more special than mine in terms of how they are considered un-responsible by the general public.

My father's XC90 V8 - Probably a tiny bit less responsible, but we don't use it to tow stuff and when my brother gets a hold of it then our insurance policy almost gets voided... oh young drivers!

My father's C70 T5 - Yeah, definitely not responsible, as it's two uses are "I can haul ass on and off i-43 all day long baby (hows that for a WI reference)" and "hmm yes better go play golf with jim in accounting and then go to his bachelor party at TGI fridays".

My mother's 2010 S60 T6 (in copper metallic) - The middleman in terms of un-responsibility, safe and practical enough to haul yourself and the kids to school. But when you can outrun a 1962 Corvette in a straight line... you get the picture. Honestly if my mom ever decides to get rid of this car I may buy it off her and slip enough money to the nearest dealership to put polestar on it. I love the color, it doesn't have the *shivers* pitchers glove seats, and it's a solid winter driver.

So when it boils down to me and my responsible, 168-hp (if it's even still making that, which I doubt it would if it's tires ever graced the dyno) 2.4L does the job and is the 90's definition of "Sporty". But I love it and I honest to god couldn't think of a reason to get rid of it for a turbo car. It may never keep it's value, and it may never see a track day, bro, but this car is a damn time capsule of swedish build quality and I intend to lavish in that for as long as I can.

SORRY TJ. And thank you Jared for making me think on a Sunday night before 7:30am classes :)

#49 ·