SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

TJs Laser Thread

18K views 164 replies 29 participants last post by  LloydDobler 
#1 ·
Hey guys! Picking up my new to me 99 Laser V70R at the end of the month. 122 pages of service history and was a Volvo Corporate car for the first year of its life! Can't wait to enjoy this car [emoji1591]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#53 ·

Updates. Installing Meyle front suspension and IPD sways this weekend. The PCV has been done. Lots of upkeep has been done, changing sensors, gaskets, and silicone lines. Installed the front lip.

Up next is swapping the turbo with a fresh 18t and some exhaust work!

#55 ·
Alright! Big update on the car.

I have been driving it less and less but have made some big improvements.

I have installed Euro Nivomats in the rear with a 3/4 inch drop on them. The car sits level now and rides really really well. It had a tendency to slam in the rear going over bumps. I'm almost 100% sure that the original Nivomats were on the car with 230k... about time for replacements!

I have also replaced every engine mount I could on the car. All I can say is wow, the difference made by this was incredible. The rear mount was about an inch off due to how collapsed it was. It shifts super smooth and accelerates really nice.

The last thing I have done was do the delrin subframe bushings. I highly recommend this for anyone who is wondering about if they are worth it. It changes the whole feel of the car and tightens everything up incredibly. Absolutely I will do on all further cars I own.

#56 ·
Your sway bar is only a few shades off from your awesome paint color!

#57 ·
Update:

Alright lads, it’s been a hot minute (or a year and a half) since I’ve updated this thread. So while I sit here at work I might as well do something!

Shortly after my last update, in January of 19’, I tuned the car on a stage 1 Hilton tune. Putting that much through the stock block with old crusty heads was not a good idea and ended up burning an exhaust valve. I took the car to Scandinavian Imports and Edwin confirmed the damage. I had the valve replaced, all the top end seals replaced, timing belt done, alternator replaced, R manifold installed, and silicone coolant hoses throughout. A very pricy but much needed repair! Great feeling having a refreshed head and all!

Shortly after, I was able to get my hands on a set of Triton wheels in VA beach. Drove down and picked em up. Refinished them myself and with then help of the painter at my old dealership we made them really shine! Very happy with how they looked. Wrapped them in some Falken Azenis R615k+ tires and they were awesome on grip.......... but with 18s and stuff side walls the car rode like GARBAGE. So after all the shows of the season I took them off and sold them to someone in Cali.

Performance wise, I’ve added a 3 inch catless downpipe, replaced all the coolant hoses at this point with silicone lines from DO88. I also was able to get a JDM steering wheel hub adapter for the car and decided that a nice leather Nardi whee would fit pretty nicely in the interior! So I bought a wheel and love how it feels and looks. No airbag but we die like men.

Now comes the fun part, I’ve reached the cross roads for this car and I’m happy to say that I will he keeping it for as long as I can, I don’t daily Drive it at all anymore as I bought an S60 T6 R-Design for that... but I have lots in the works, I’ve listed below what I have left to do so stay tuned on the next update on who knows when.

Next-
-complete rear subframe rebuild
-M58 swap, very happy about this. 850R clutch, single mass flywheel, 30k axles, 100k trans, all new cables and such as well as a new knob. Was able to get a shift boot made from the Alcantara from a wrecked R.
-brand new 19t turbo
-tune to stage 2
-put the drive shaft in
-install BC coil overs

And what ever else I’m forgetting.... it’s been a crazy year, stay safe and stay home: thanks for reading. I’ll post pictures when I am at a proper computer.

#60 ·
Another update! My rear suspension is creaking and knocking so we decided at the shop it would be a good time, while things have slowed down, to yank the rear subframe out and do a complete refresh!

We did find a nasty surprise however in the mounts for the subframe are completely rusted through. So I will be beta testing the Hell Moose Performance rear steel subframe mounts. Very thankful that I found this when i did and Matt was in the middle of the swap.

If anyone has questions or needs parts numbers for any of the bushings/arms/hoses/pump let me know and I'd be happy to get them for you. Decided to go as much poly as I could to match the front subframe. Also doing the fuel pump at this time as I'm getting some really extended cranks on the original (!) 237k pump. Going to be a lot of cleaning and undercoating and rust prevention but I'm committed to keeping it now! Stay tuned for more.

#62 ·
Ouch... that sucks. But hey, after 200k+ miles on the east coast, every car is bound to have a bit of rust. That being said though, fixing yours won't be hard at all. These P80s do a great job holding up even in the US where salt is overused. Compare it to literally every GM and Ford truck/SUV from the same era and you'll see what I mean lmao.

As far as the rest of the subframe shenanigans go, I'll definitely consider taking care of it all too when my fuel pump goes out and I bring it to you and Edwin. Does anyone still sell rear subframe poly bushings in 2020?

#67 ·
Alrighty. Positive update.

Thanks to Matt Micciolo at Hell Moose Performance for supplying me with some custom made rear subframe mounts, sent with a jig to get it all made up as well. Can't wait to get them installed in the car and get it back on the road. I will report with all my findings later today!

#71 ·
Also wanted to post the interior shots. Thinking of ditching the wood trim after the Momo Hub and Nardi wheels were installed. Really enjoy the sizing and feel of the thinner wheel. Not for everyone but I like it.

Wow that wheel looks fantastic! Really blends nice with the interior. Where did you come across the volvo center insert? Which momo hub is it?

#78 ·
Alright quick update for today!

The custome subframe mounts are in! And looking awesome! Very happy with the contructjon and build quality.

We had to cut a portion of the frame out and weld in a replacement plate as well to get a solid surface as there was so much corrosion.

We then bent the flat plates into the correct shape, mounted them to the subframe, and bolted everything up to see where they would sit, tacking them in place when we were happy.
Then the final weld took place to solidify everything.

Going to clean up and paint them tomorrow and coat them so I or the next owner will never have to do this again. Thickness is almost identical to the original mounts but have additional drainage so water is not allowed to pool inside them.

Here's a picture of the original mount to the car with all the dirt removed, this is the solid piece..... amazing.

#80 ·

Undercoating completed! Primed and coated the underside of the vehicle to cover any spots of corrosion or possibility of corrosion.

Now just have to do both rear axle seals, install the adjustable toe arms, install the drive shaft, and put the drop in intercooler in and we'll be all done! This month long ordeal is almost over.

#81 ·
I would HATE to fathom the cost, but it is looking like fantastic work. Where did you get the steel? What grade?

#82 ·
I am extremely lucky to be working at an independent Volvo shop here in Rockville. Shoutout to Scandinavian Imports, I love doing modified cars and enthusiasts cars, we are all enthusiasts too. Give us a ring.

But we are all finished with the hard stuff for now, but I can get an approx price figure for a standard customer when all finished.

#85 ·
Alright, hopefully the final update in the saga of the rear end rebuild.

Axle seals replaced with new fluid installed.
Lower control arms replaced with new poly bushings.
Yother adjustable rear toe links.
Ipd sway was already in but I'll mention it.
New trailing arm bushings.
Lower mileage AOC.
And bushings all throughout the subframe.
We replaced the fuel pump and such as well along with a couple degraded evap hoses, the last thing I want is to do this again.

Looking forward to taking her home later today!

#91 ·
^
I'm putting a Japanifold on my S60 eventually lol.

#93 ·
Super!
Do you have to park out on the street as an employee with that?
Small update, decided it was time for new wheels. VST Monoblock Type Rs with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+.

#94 ·
very nice... 17 or 18's ???