SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

TJs Laser Thread

18K views 164 replies 29 participants last post by  LloydDobler 
#1 ·
Hey guys! Picking up my new to me 99 Laser V70R at the end of the month. 122 pages of service history and was a Volvo Corporate car for the first year of its life! Can't wait to enjoy this car [emoji1591]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#104 ·
Yep! Imported by @5x108heavyweight on Instagram. He's on here too, an OG, but I can't remember what his name is for the life of me. I paid about 800. Not a cheap setup but I'm so happy with it all.

It's a Volvo Composites front lip.

#108 ·
So it's been a minute but I'll post an update.

Went out in the car for a nice post Christmas drive and it would not start in the parking lot of the mall we were at. Decided I had enough of this intermittent not starting. Had it towed to the shop. Tow guy really messed up my Volvo Composites lip so I was quite unhappy about that.

Edwin traced it to the positive battery cables, replaced both cables and it starts every time reliably. Also decided it was time to replace the heater core, replace both rear calipers, FINALLY INSTALL THE NEW DRIVESHAFT, and delete the roof rails. Fellas down at GLS Autobody did an amazing job on my lip. Car is coming together slowly but surely.

Definitely a head turner and I love it.
Tire Wheel Blue Vehicle Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Blue Hood Vehicle Automotive design

#110 ·
monoblocks....:love:

#111 ·
You can buy 'em off him, LOL.

#118 ·
Yeah I'm not a fan of the 99+ rails. I think the -98 rails look much cleaner.

#119 ·
Figured I would do an update since it's been a while.

Was enjoying the car, not much change since the last update, until I noticed a large coolant leak coming from where the heater hose joins the block.

Long story short, ended up finally putting my upgraded 19t (shoutout to gpop shop turbos for the awesome work) in and doing a bunch of detail work. The old 18t was just so exhausted (haha) and was starting to produce some really cool smoke clouds. It's not quite finished but I'll post pics anyway. I was really tired of the exposed wiring so I sheathed it all, along with installing brand new radiator hoses, heater hoses, and vacuum lines. Just have to button it all back up and do the detail work of cleaning.

Also upgraded from a "stage 1" Hilton tune to a "stage 2". That's really all I have for now, the M58 is still sitting in storage, we are house hunting at the moment so it'll be a bit before any other major updates.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive design

#121 ·
Look's good, TJ. Sorry I will likely miss it.
All buttoned up! Had to get a new battery ground as mine was toasted, but we'll be ready to go for Carlisle this weekend!

#126 ·
Little update.

Swapped out the Red Wood trim for aluminum 3! Replaced a lot of the bulbs and such that were out as well during the process. Very happy with how clean everything looks. Also retrofitted (what I believe to be) an P2R ebrake boot to the car. I was gifted the boot so I'm not sure where it came from, regardless I think it turned out great!

Car Plant Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle

Automotive design Car Vehicle door Automotive exterior Material property

#128 ·
That fits really well, nice touch!

#129 ·
Nice upgrades. The burl plastic sucks. It's the only one that isn't real wood.

#130 ·
Another update!

Replaced the AOC with a very low mileage example with new seals and bearings. Also replaced the rear bushings on the NLA Yother Toe arms. Shoutout to Yother for selling me a set of those!

Also redid the headliner on the car. A little lighter but so nice to be able to roll around with all the windows down. No yellow snow!

Had to replace the gas pedal and the throttle body to address a really poor throttle response issue. Drives extremely smooth now.

Haven’t done a whole lot, still getting the garage setup. Painting and floor coating will be this winter. Here’s a bonus photo.

Thanks for reading [emoji1308]

#132 ·
Reactions: GreenS60Guy
#131 ·

Happy New Year! Started the new year with a full clay bar and hand wax. Really really happy with the results. Paint is smooth as glass and water beads right off. Progress has been slow on the car, house and wedding have taken all the time! But this year we’ll hope for some cool changes to the ol wagon.

#133 ·
Looks good. Weather was so nice, I should have. Good for you getting that done before the next cold snap.
I remember meeting you at the place you work now, back in what 2012?? 2013? Do they still hold an annual gathering?

Happy New Year! Started the new year with a full clay bar and hand wax. Really really happy with the results. Paint is smooth as glass and water beads right off. Progress has been slow on the car, house and wedding have taken all the time! But this year we’ll hope for some cool changes to the ol wagon.

#135 ·
Small Update.

Been having a pretty consistent boost issue for some time now. Probably a year and a half or so? Car would hesitate to build boost fully, would surge at higher rpms. Down low it was great, then would fall off. No faults at all. On a whim, decided to replace the mass air flow as I found a cheap OEM unit. Car runs 1000% better and is really enjoyable to drive.

Bent some of the exhaust brackets to clear the rear subframe also, at some point I'll get rid of the multiple piece exhaust this car has. Lots to do before that though...

JDM mirror install and AFR/Boost gauge setup coming soon. Wanted to keep it really clean so one gauge for everything.

Thanks for stopping by.

Attachments

#136 ·
JDM mirror install? What's that?
Small Update.

Been having a pretty consistent boost issue for some time now. Probably a year and a half or so? Car would hesitate to build boost fully, would surge at higher rpms. Down low it was great, then would fall off. No faults at all. On a whim, decided to replace the mass air flow as I found a cheap OEM unit. Car runs 1000% better and is really enjoyable to drive.

Bent some of the exhaust brackets to clear the rear subframe also, at some point I'll get rid of the multiple piece exhaust this car has. Lots to do before that though...

JDM mirror install and AFR/Boost gauge setup coming soon. Wanted to keep it really clean so one gauge for everything.

Thanks for stopping by.

#141 ·
Bobby (Dat Box)! The MSP or other PoPo don't hit you for no front plate?
Not being on the FBs has a lot of advantages but I do miss these event call outs when they get posted.
I'm meaning to get over to Damascus with a small weegan contingent at some point or even Katie's one day soon when it's not so bloody cold before Carlisle...
Game?
Nothing new! Just some shots from @natefifty from this weekends VOOM meet.

View attachment 187069
View attachment 187068

#144 ·
Good thing front plates aren't a thing down here! lol

#147 · (Edited)
Quick update!

Installed the JDM folding mirrors! The pass side is a little funky, the driver side is excellent. The driver side is slightly slow to close but I don’t mind, a little helping hand every now and again is necessary! GLS Autobody in Rockville did an amazing job matching the colors, the folding covers are a different shape than standard.

Also installed the Innovate Boost and AFR gauge. Super clean and really happy with how it looks in the car.

Audio equipment Camera accessory Gadget Cameras & optics Auto part

You can see the folding mirror button on the right next to the fog lights.

#151 ·
Quick update!

Installed the JDM folding mirrors! The pass side is a little funky, the driver side is excellent. The driver side is slightly slow to close but I don’t mind, a little helping hand every now and again is necessary! GLS Autobody in Rockville did an amazing job matching the colors, the folding covers are a different shape than standard.

Also installed the Innovate Boost and AFR gauge. Super clean and really happy with how it looks in the car.

View attachment 196337

You can see the folding mirror button on the right next to the fog lights.

The mirror caps are a different shape because they are RHD mirrors and the angles are mirrored from LHD.

Well done man. All those little other-market gizmos are goals lol. I'd love the folding mirrors and the towing-adjustment headlight motors to fill up my 2 blank switches someday.

First I need to find those euro-spec convex side-mirrors though 👀
The ECE mirror is a game changer. Blind spots are cancelled. my peripheral vision nearly intersects with the extent of the mirror's field of view when I'm looking at the mirrors so I could usually change lanes without even turning my head. Main exception being when lane splitters may be present and I have to bring in the mirrors to sight back between the lanes.

I tried a set of folding mirrors on my R and I wouldn't recommend the folding mirrors for your use case since you drive your R a lot. I adjust my mirrors to the SAE guidelines (no overlap between center and side mirrors) and, due to them being RHD mirrors, it was impossible to adjust them even close to that for my seating position. Even at the limit position, the driver's mirror had a huge amount of overlap with the center mirror. I would definitely crash if I adjusted my mirrors that way (see my mirror adventures with my S60) so I abandoned the project and sold them to a guy in the UK.