Random stalls, loss of power, 1998 s70 GLT
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Random stalls, loss of power, 1998 s70 GLT

The car is 1998 s70 GLT, with 69000 miles.

I am experiencing random stalls and loss of power. When this started, I:

1) Had a fuel injector cleaning done
      2) Replaced spark plugs, rotor, distributor cap, plug wires

…kept stalling/loss of power.

3) Replaced idle air control valve

As a result, I still experience either loss of power when at speed, or occasional drop in idle which sometimes results in a stall.

11 months ago, I had the mass air sensor replaced and vacuum leaks fixed. I don't know when the last fuel filter was put in (I'm the 3rd owner). As a note - I no longer run a K&N filter since having replaced the mass air sensor.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Yes, definitely change the fuel filter if you don't know when it was done. Also, a fuel pump about to take a dump can cause what you are describing.
      '98 S70 T5 Emerald Green IPD and other Upgrades/ '07 S40 T5 M-66 MT Mystic Silver Metallic, Heico Sports Suspension & Cone Air Filter, OZ 18" Wheels, Elevate Dual Exhaust Intake Manifold BOV & Stage 1 Tune, 27mm Racing Beat Rear Sway, Proforged Rear End Links, Ultra Racing Strut Tower brace & E-Focus Mount/ '04 V70 2.5T Ruby Red - IPD Upgrades (wife's car)/ '07 S60 2.5T Barrent Blue (son's car) All: Mobil-1 synthetic @ 5K miles.

Re: Random stalls, loss of power, 1998 s70 GLT (joshturse)

I have almost identical issues. 98 v70 glt and just replaced, plugs, wires, rotor, cap, and the fuel filter. I'm wondering if the new fiter blew out the pump. Was a new filter your solution?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: Random stalls, loss of power, 1998 s70 GLT (Jorge S)

I hope it's as easy for you as it was for me - unplug the connector for the mass air sensor, blow it out with some compressed air, pack it with dielectric grease, and reconnect it. This is a problem spot in these cars.

Any check-engine-lights?

Check fuel pressure for sure...

What's your MPG right now?

Cheers,
      Matt

02 Miata, turboed with standalone Adaptronic ECU, coil overs, roll-cage, 6 puck SPEC clutch, 600cc injectors, LSD, FMIC, 3:63 gears
      98 V70 GLT with P2 T5 engine, ARD Blue ECU, 3" DP back exhaust, 19T turbo, Koni FSD, barely 100k miles, "Polestar Blue custom paint, and LGSpeed rods!
      2010 Kawasaki Z1000 Orange and White

Quote, originally posted by joshturse »
      I hope it's as easy for you as it was for me - unplug the connector for the mass air sensor, blow it out with some compressed air, pack it with dielectric grease, and reconnect it. This is a problem spot in these cars.

There was a Volvo fix for this a while back; it was to zap strap the wire to the MAF body. The weight of the wiring would stress the connection.

If that doesn't do it long term, you may have a faulty MAF.

Obviously, follow the simple tune up advice first... It doesn't sound like a starvation issue though.

Re: Random stalls, loss of power, 1998 s70 GLT (Sherman)

I replaced the MAF and all seems good for now. I'm losing confidence in the car.

Re: Random stalls, loss of power, 1998 s70 GLT (Jorge S)

Quote, originally posted by Jorge S »
      I'm losing confidence in the car.

My experience is that the 98 S70 GLT is one of the best Volvo's ever made. Only change I would make in ours is to turn it into a 5sp manual tran.

Re: Random stalls, loss of power, 1998 s70 GLT (airprakken)

Quote, originally posted by airprakken »
      My experience is that the 98 S70 GLT is one of the best Volvo's ever made. Only change I would make in ours is to turn it into a 5sp manual tran.

OK, OK, a 98 S70 T5 5sp with better headlights, Koni shocks and IPD sway bars...

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements