SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Truth about the 2016 Polestar v60

7K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  grahamR 
#1 ·
1) The interior is 10 years out of date
2) The ride is awful on bumpy roads (helped by softening the suspension, but then body roll)
3) Steering feel is not good
4) The car feels too heavy (horizontally aligned engine ruins weight distribution)
5) Engine slow to rev
6) Not that much room in the backseat
7) Transmission very slow upshifts (under hard revs)
8) Drives like a front wheel drive car unless you disable traction control, which defeats the Volvo's main benefit, its safety.
9) Understeer/body roll
10) Seats wrinkle very quickly
11) Red dash is tacky

On the plus side:
12) One of the most gorgeous engine notes (remove the hood liner)
13) Engine very smooth (inline six)
14) Feels safe
15) The *only* car in its class. Hi-po wagon with a 6 cylinder engine in the USA
16) Nice mid range power
17) The dial control on the steering wheel is surprisingly good.
18) Very pretty car.

The fact that this car got glowing reviews is testament to corruption in the automotive media. This is a deeply flawed car. Johnny Lieberman got it right when it said it had "character".... which is basically it. This is an emotional purchase packaged as a practical one.

The suspension can't handle the wagon's weight and bad distribution, IMHO. Better as an S60, but why would you ever buy an S60 when you can get an S4 or a 340i track pack?

The 2017 fixes the weight distribution issue with the 4-cylinder, but you lose the mid-range punch and the sublime engine/intake/exhaust note. Definitely delete the sunroof. This fixes the tranny, ride, suspension, understeer issues.

Maybe the 2016 could be salvaged with some suspension work and tranny tuning and "adding lightness". Definitely remove everything from the trunk.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
[emoji14]

Hold on tight everybody, this should be a fun ride, we have an "expert" here! :facepalm: You know, experts, that don't know the difference between ESC (Stability Control) and Traction Control(which cannot be disabled). "Expert" that says the V60 has bad weight distribution, so the S60 is a better choice (Reality: S60 62/38 V60 60/40). There are many things to complain about with this car but you loss any sense of credibility when you say things like the Suspension can't handle the weight of the car. Do you know what is the only other car to come with this suspension stock and weighs 200-300lbs more than the V60 P*...that would be the Lambo Aventador. Just out of curiosity, how many miles have you put on a V60 P*?

Now it is time to sit back and watch the fun of this thread unfold.

#4 ·
Incoming :saber:

#5 ·
This thread should be called "My opinion on the v60 Polestar" because "Truth" is a little bit of a stretch. How can you claim truth on subjective points littered in the list? :/

I own an s60 Polestar, so let me quickly answer to the "why would you ever buy an S60 when you can get an S4 or a 340i track pack?"
The S4 is a GT car and it is certainly less fun on a windy mountain roads. It's a very comfortable car to drive in a straight line from Texas to California for instance. The BMW is unfortunately a BMW... Neither of the alternative cars you list feel as special as owning this Volvo to me.

On to commenting on your list

1) Yup, it's the same interior as they've had for a while. I like it.
2) The suspension is a manually adjustable beauty, that can soak up mid corner bumps under heavy load like nothing else I have driven. I often find myself amazed at how little the car is upset on really fast cornering on uneven roads. It certainly doesn't float over city bumps, that's not the point of the suspension setup. <----- this comment reminds me of the threads I keep seeing asking "should I get a polestar v60 or a v90 cc." This is not a GT car.
3) Which one of two other cars you list later do you think has better steering? S4? 340i? It's an electronically assisted rack, it won't be chatty as a hydraulic or unassisted steering rack, but I find that I get plenty of info from the suspension and the steering when I drive the car at 8-9 tenths
4) The car is heavy. Everything on it feels incredibly sturdy and firm. No idea what you are talking about in terms of the engine ruining weight distribution because of it's transverse nature. Maybe you mean it's placement being in front of the front axel?
5) The gear ratios are spaced pretty far apart
6) Plenty of space in the back for adults, not sure what the subjective "not enough" is
7) Transmission is good enough imo. I personally don't mind it and it's likely because of how wide the gear ratios are. On most mountains you'll be pretty much in 3rd all the time.
8) AWD cars are more similar to FWD than RWD cars, it's true. You can't neutralize understeer by adding power. Also the car wight distribution is pretty biased to the front of the car. Not sure how ESC comes into play here. (ESC =/= TC) Fixing to 50/50 power distribution to the front/back still doesn't neutralize the car with throttle in the corner.
9) Body roll? What body roll? for the understeer, look above.
10) I invite you to look up common issues with any leather side bolstered seats - i.e. Porches and seat wear
11) Change it to one of the other options if you don't like the color

#6 · (Edited)
Re point #10; I seriously looked at the A4/ A6 before I bought the Volvo. All the low mileage Audi A4/ A6 / S4/ S6 cars with remotely sports seats I looked at have had awful creasing on the leather seats; not just the side bolsters, but on the seat base bolsters as well.

The only regret for me with my V60 Polestar is the colour; black, the best colour available for the model, but a metallic blue would have been very nice ( I saw a new S4 Avant in metallic blue today, very nice looking indeed apart from the twin double outlet exhausts; very "boy racer". At least on the previous RS4 Audi recognised that taste shortcoming and fitted twin single outlets.

#7 ·
Apart from 10), everything else can be determined through research or a test drive.

Everything in life is a comprimise.
I think the Polestar is a bloody good compromise.

You have the decision to buy the Polestar or not.
(Unless you get this car given to you as a company car)

#8 ·
Suspension on the Polestar is best in the business.. Just because it isn't plush like you want it doesn't mean it's bad. The comment about not being able to handle 4k pounds is laughable.

Many of your other complaints were resolved with the move to the new powertrain.

#10 ·
1) The interior is 10 years out of date
10 years is to much but yes. Specially in the last couple of years with the new tech in the new cars the Polestar, Volvo, interior has become a bit outdated.
2) The ride is awful on bumpy roads (helped by softening the suspension, but then body roll)
Guess you bought the wrong car.
3) Steering feel is not good
Depends where you are coming from. There are better cars. For a Volvo I think the Polestar does very well.
4) The car feels too heavy (horizontally aligned engine ruins weight distribution)
The 2016 is heavy. The suspension does a marvellous job handling the weight.
5) Engine slow to rev
Not exactly sure what you are aiming at here. The engine revs well but the turbo choice/character doesn't let it rev well above ~5500 rpm because it is simply out of oomph. The torque curve clearly shows that.
6) Not that much room in the backseat
A tad cramped yes with larger people in the car but very doable IMO.
7) Transmission very slow upshifts (under hard revs)
The AT part of this gearbox sucks yes but it was a known thing. The manual part Polestar did a tremendous job. When keeping revs above 2K RPM it shifts very nice.
8) Drives like a front wheel drive car unless you disable traction control, which defeats the Volvo's main benefit, its safety.
Drives like an FWD with TC disabled also.. Because the car is FWD.. What makes it flawed is the time consuming and very frustrating procedure to disable.
9) Understeer/body roll
Yes/No Still the best offered by Volvo on this platform.
10) Seats wrinkle very quickly
From what I recall there was only one slight wrinkle on the left bolster which remained the same during almost two and a half year of ownership. I did find the leather fit to appear a bit loose over the seats.
11) Red dash is tacky
It was fun while it lasted. It simply did not last. What I don't understand is why Polestar never offered a real Polestar theme.

On the plus side:
12) One of the most gorgeous engine notes (remove the hood liner)
13) Engine very smooth (inline six)
14) Feels safe
15) The *only* car in its class. Hi-po wagon with a 6 cylinder engine in the USA
16) Nice mid range power
17) The dial control on the steering wheel is surprisingly good.
18) Very pretty car.
Yes
The fact that this car got glowing reviews is testament to corruption in the automotive media. This is a deeply flawed car. Johnny Lieberman got it right when it said it had "character".... which is basically it. This is an emotional purchase packaged as a practical one.
Like said it depends where you are coming from. There are better cars out there. I came from a Lexus IS-F as a DD but have owned Volvo's for 20 years. Compared to Volvo's offerings at the time I think Polestar did a great job. To bad they were backed up by a company who basically didn't want this car to exist and it shined through.
The suspension can't handle the wagon's weight and bad distribution, IMHO. Better as an S60, but why would you ever buy an S60 when you can get an S4 or a 340i track pack?
V60 is better balanced than the S60 yes. My comparison is a bit flawed because the S60 is a 2017 but the S60 becomes very light in the rear when pushed while the V60 feels more levelled.
The 2017 fixes the weight distribution issue with the 4-cylinder, but you lose the mid-range punch and the sublime engine/intake/exhaust note. Definitely delete the sunroof. This fixes the tranny, ride, suspension, understeer issues.
Sounds BS to me but I do not have a sunroof in my P. ... The 2016 had a bit more "supercar" feel to it. The 2017 feels more mainstream Volvo. Maybe because the early model was developed in conjunction with real race drivers and the 2017 model "overhauled" by the Volvo team. The new "Boldly Boring" campaign is proof of that.
Maybe the 2016 could be salvaged with some suspension work and tranny tuning and "adding lightness". Definitely remove everything from the trunk.
Volvo tried to salvage by offering the 2017. They partially succeeded. Fastest Volvo to date but like said a tad dated. I hope this engine with a bit progression will arrive in the new S/V60. A dual clutch transmission would make it even nicer.

#11 ·
The deeply flawed car set a track record at the Nurburgring last year for stock 4dr sedans. S60 did 7min 51sec. That is a second faster than the new BMW M4 Coupe, 13 seconds faster than my former car a BMW M3 (V8) Coupe. Audi's are non competitive in this area. I do think the R8 is a winner. So far, the only cars beating the S60 around the ring are a Porsche Turbo Panamera and faster yet, an Alfa Romeo Guilia (505HP). I'd say our cars are in good company. To further prove the point: http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/rese...zy-horsepower-per-liter/ss-AAsgSxR?li=BBnb7Kz

#12 ·
That was the prototype S60 which is indeed more on par with the M3 / Quadrofoliowhatever

The as available 17/18 S60 Polestar simply does not have the horsepower to set a time that fast unfortunately.

Also - Don't get so spun up on HP/Liter. It's a largely worthless metric as it doesn't take into account weight/packaging of an engine.

#15 ·
I just bought a 2016 Polestar and drove it 1200 miles across the country.

Coming from a 2015 Audi S4 , Infiniti M56XS and a number of build Subarus , I can say I got more of a car, than I initially expected. The car is not perfect, but it's imperfections turn into character in a subtle way. I LOVE it . Compared to the S4 is much more of a brute experience. And this is a good thing for me. After I first test drove a V60 Polestar some time ago, I was smiling every time I was thinking about that car, so I ended up buying one. And I wanted the 6 cyl.

This is not a mainstream car, that suits everyone. It's a car for an enthusiast who can appreciate it.

#18 ·
Sorry but disagree with most of your points.

Have you driven another modern car, then moan about steering feel as the newer stuff has literally zero feel about it.

Suspension I'm sorry is amongst the most talented in the business, its always going to be hard due to what its designed to do.

Seats wrinkle quickly, lose some weight.

Gearbox I agree with but its a very widely publicised issue and not exactly a secret.

Your comment about the corruption in automotive media is actually laughable, especially in relation to Volvo.

'Maybe the 2016 could be salvaged with some suspension work and tranny tuning and "adding lightness". Definitely remove everything from the trunk.' Erm, the tranny is already 'tuned', suspension work would only destroy the drive of the car and adding lightness on a family wagon? I Really think you may have bought the wrong car for you needs.

#21 ·
HFS. It takes a special kind of stupid to complain about the OEM adjustable Ohlins suspension. All credibility as to your other "thoughts" is completely lost.

I also suspect that you can't drive for **** as well. What'd you replace the V60 with, a Honda Accord?

#24 ·
That nicely sums it up for me as well; the desirably of fast Audis and BMWs to thieves/ carjackers, some owners being severely injured, to the extent that insurance companies insist on tracking device. Performance of the V60 Polestar compared to those cars is just as good/ slightly worse/ slightly better. Thieves ignore it ("touch wood "!) as it's a boring V60 with big wheels and innocuous. Suits me fine.

I was considering a 2002 3.2 Porsche Boxter as a "hobby/ summer car". The boss says no, unless I sell the boat ! If I sell the boat she'll probably decide I can't have the car anyhow !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.