3M Rockguard on HID headlamp and fog
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

3M Rockguard on HID headlamp and fog

I have a 2012 XC70 T6 with HID Xenon headlamps. Being anal, I wrapped more or less everything at the front with 3M rockguard film including the headlights. For the last few years I have been seeing a fog develop where the light shines on the headlight lens. I am not sure if this fog is on the outside of the headlight or inside. I suspect the fog is due to heat damage to the headlight lens and am wondering if I should have the rockguard removed to prevent further damage. Although the damage might have reached it's worst, so perhaps taking off the rockguard now would only make sense if the fog can be removed from the outside of the headlight.

I have seen a small amount of talk about rockguard film not being recommended as it keeps the heat in, and therefore jacks the lens possibly.

Any advice on this would be most welcome. I remember the guy who put on the rockguard wondering if it was a good idea to put it on the headlights!

Perhaps it's normal for these HID headlamps to develop fog where the light shines. It's rather a shame really because, the car is really nice other than this blemish.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I would agree that heat has distorted the 3M - likely the glue/adhesive has hardened.

Keep us posted if you decided to remove it and further inspect.
      2015.5 S80 T6 Inscription | 60k ~2011 C70 Flamenco/Cranberry | 51k | ~ 2008 S80 3.2 | DD | 335k | ~ 1999 V70 2.4i 5 SPD | 200k | SOLD! | ~ 2005 V70R GT Ti/Gobi | GSW | 203k | SOLD!| 2003 V70 2.4i | BSW | 155k | SOLD! ~ 2006 S40 2.4i | BSD | 119k SOLD! |

Update

Ok. Here's the update. I had the 3M tech remove the rockguard from the headlight and to my surprise the fogging is on the inside of the headlight lens! So I guess it's either new headlamps or live with it as I assume the headlight unit is sealed and one cannot buff the inside of the lens

I elected to put a new piece of rockguard back on. I am not sure if the 3D is the cause for the 'fogging' which i assume is due to the heat of the HID.
      However, if I leave the 3M off, the lens will be damaged by the road grit. If the fogging gets worse I might contemplate removing the 3M film.

If anyone has HID lamps and has seen this ghosting, it would be great to know about. The dealer says 3M and HID does not create this fog, and they have never seen this before.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

A couple of things that always seems to get missed in the fogging / discoloring / fading of plastic headlight lenses, is the output of the light, most problems occur due to UV light, hence why many halogen bulbs are labeled 'UV cut' they are designed to not produce UV light and help the lens last longer, many halogen and HID bulbs do not have this protection and therefore cause issues.

Another source of lens problems, this time on the exterior of the lens is that some people choose to use aggressive glass cleaners such as windex, windex will destroy plastic lenses in no time, as will insect repellents, I have seen several repellents when sprayed onto plastic safety glasses cause the plastic to bubble up really badly.

After looking through google for answers. I noticed a very similar problem with HID and E-series Mercedes. There is even a step by step fix where you fish a tool and cloth through a bulb hole opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0F5E9M5sKQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4XNEBT-TXg

This gives me hope that this will fix my problem. And certainly performing their procedure will not harm anything unless the mercedes lens is made of a different material. The first video states the residue is due to evaporation of plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by jonsmith View Post
      After looking through google for answers. I noticed a very similar problem with HID and E-series Mercedes. There is even a step by step fix where you fish a tool and cloth through a bulb hole opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0F5E9M5sKQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4XNEBT-TXg

This gives me hope that this will fix my problem. And certainly performing their procedure will not harm anything unless the mercedes lens is made of a different material. The first video states the residue is due to evaporation of plastic.
      Cleaning the inside of the lens cleared got rid of the fog. I used the mercedes cleaner in the youtube video. I guess fog had nothing to do with 3M.

^ that Merc tool is ingenious, thanks for posting.
      2015.5 XC60 T6 Flamenco Red/Sand, Platinum, Tech, Blis - wifemobile
      2010 S80 T6 Silver/Anthracite, Dynaudio/Nav, Climate, Blis - my dd
      2005 S40 T5 Passion Red/Quartz, Dynamic Package, E46 bixenon retro - garage queen
      2005 S60 2.5T Black/Graphite, Premium, Sport, Climate - son
      Previous: '05 S60 T5, '04 S80 2.5T, '98 V70 T5, '96 854 Platinum

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements