Installing Rear Park Assist Camera on car with option code 820
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Installing Rear Park Assist Camera on car with option code 820

About two months ago, I was lucky enough to find a 2015.5 S60 with only 5k miles. After talking to Volvo HQ, I found out the car had Option Code 820 meaning it is pre-wired for the Rear Park Assist Camera. I installed an OEM camera, tailgate handle and CAM button on the center console and thought I was good except for a software download. My local Volvo dealer closed up shop about 6 months ago, leaving only one repair shop in the area with a licensed VIDA machine. I took the car to them to get download the software, waited over two hours, and was told they were not able to download any software into the car. I'm not sure if it is operator error on their part or an issue with the camera I installed I wouldn't think a camera issue would prevent a software download and the frustrating part is, often when I put the car in reverse, I get about two seconds of beautiful and clear rear camera with lines before I get the "Camera Unavailable" signal on the display.

Anyone else self-install a camera (Volvo P/N 31434563) and just get a software download?

Any known issues with cars not taking VIDA downloads?

My nearest dealer is 250 miles away and I'd hate to make the trip only to find out it's not operator error on the part of my local repair shop.

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Just in case anyone cares

I'm the author or the above post. I finally made the 250 mile journey to a authorized Volvo dealer and they downloaded the software for the camera in about 15 minutes and a cost of $152. I bought an OEM camera on EBay for $56, a Cam button for the front console for $5, a "trunk handle" (plastic strip around trunk handle to mount the camera for $100 and a couple of plastic trunk liner clips for about $10 bucks. So for about $310 and an hour labor I have a backup camera on my S60.

If you own one with Option code 820 (you can find out by calling Volvo and giving them your VIN), it seems to me to be well worth the time and effort to install a camera.

Awaiting Approval
      Quote Originally Posted by 92DueceVolvos View Post
      I'm the author or the above post. I finally made the 250 mile journey to a authorized Volvo dealer and they downloaded the software for the camera in about 15 minutes and a cost of $152. I bought an OEM camera on EBay for $56, a Cam button for the front console for $5, a "trunk handle" (plastic strip around trunk handle to mount the camera for $100 and a couple of plastic trunk liner clips for about $10 bucks. So for about $310 and an hour labor I have a backup camera on my S60.

If you own one with Option code 820 (you can find out by calling Volvo and giving them your VIN), it seems to me to be well worth the time and effort to install a camera.
      Thank you for posting this, I am looking to do this once I confirm I have the correct option. Do you recall the part numbers for the pieces you used? On eBay it looks like the OEM cameras are going for ~$250 instead of the $56 you paid, so either the price has gone up, or you got lucky

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements