Project resurrection
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Project resurrection

I've been lurking on the forum for 7 years now and have owned my 04 for 5 years and never really shared my progress or added a pile of value to the forum. That car saw a complete transformation from interior swap, complete maintenance work over, body kit, stage 3 Hilton and supporting goodies, Audi wheels exct....... here is a pic of her sleeping this afternoon.

I have learned a pile and wanted to share my experience this go around.
      I bought an 07 s60r local from another member, have been hoarding parts and finally drove it home tonight to start the process. It is really rough around the edges but has potential with time and $$$$. Here is the old girl waiting on a dif, front suspension bits, and brake work this weekend so it can be inspected and road worthy in the next week or so. I had to mix up the wheels to get her home because the control arm bushings were so bad the front tires had groves in the rubber from contacting the spring seats. I wouldn't have made it a block on the other tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      04 S60r - Hilton Stage 3 Tuned
      07 S60r - Project Resurrection

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nice - especially like the color. Please keep us posted on your progress.
      "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke
      2007 S60R Magic Blue Metallic/Gobi MT 70,000+ miles (IPD intercooler, Hawk ceramics)
      2013 XC60 T6 Savile Grey Metallic/Black (wife's)
      2010 Ford Ranger
      http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/reward2/library/

Things have been dragging slower than I was hoping. Up on jack stands she goes then my sails were deflated............I wanted to drain the oil and as my luck would have it the oil drain plug was stripped out and the welder needed to be brought out. I got that F**ker out after a couple of attempts at the and different ideas. My skills are not that strong so the bolt route worked best. I failed at welding the socket to the drain plug.

Next thing on the list was to pull the angle gear and while I'm in there the control arm bushings really needed to be replaced. So out came everything getting ready to make the process easier.

Pulling the exhaust out the way lead me to remove two bolts out and blamo...........a friggen broken bolt in the turbo. That will have to wait to be dealt with later.

Time to move on after the broken stud so the rear brake removal was a nice place to clear my head. Clean up to the dust shield and lower control arm spray with rust paint.

The plan is to get the broken turbo bolt out and the new angle gear in also change the oil cooler to stop the oil puking under the car. I cleaned and wiped for about an hour or two so far.

Hopefully a trip for some coolant and the necessary supplies the progress will continue tomorrow. It was a holiday here and I didn't plan as well as I liked.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

You are the R Whisperer!
      2007 S60 T5; M66, Titanium Grey/Graphite: Midir 18s/Orpheus 17s, H&R Sport lowering springs, Koni Yellows, Brembo calipers, EBC slotted rotors, StopTech Street Performance pads, ss brake lines, 20mm H&R spacers, 80mm extended stud conversion, OBX catless DP, custom 3" exhaust, 4" stainless tip
      1999 V70 XC; auto, Sandstone Metallic: Borbet BS5 17s, 5mm H&R spacers, Koni Oranges, TME springs, Mishimoto FMIC, Custom 3" exhaust, cool air intake, ss brake lines. Coming soon: green injectors, K24, custom 3" DP, Brembo calipers, stage 3 tune
      1990 760; auto, Tokico HD Blues, Midir 18s, 25mm H&R spacers, cut springs

Not really but thanks for thinking so. Lol.

Seeing this thread knowing an R will be restored made my day.

I have an emotional connection to this car. It is the inspiration to owning the 04 R in the first place. In 2011 this car was offered up to me and I passed because the price was a little rich and it only has two pedals. We were happy with the xc at the time and the 04 was bought because my wife had to start traveling with her job. I secretly lusted over this car and watched its decline from afar. It went from adult driven with little extra maintenance to a teenager bagging on dads car for a couple of years. I knew the dad and he moved on to an m6 then called me up at Christmas and still wanted more than the condition of the car allowed me to spend. I got a text in June with his rock bottom offer for me to get it out of his driveway and I jumped.

I ended up paying almost as much in tax to the province as I paid for the car. The province values a prime 07 s60R between $9000 and $11000 and that's what they tax at. They don't care if you bought a shell and built it your self or you pay a shop to sort it back to good or a mint shape low km one. The loop holes they set to reduce the taxes are not feasible or worth exploring so $1500 to register it in my name is what I had to do.

Both the previous owner and I didn't want a school kid to buy this only to have it parted out or parked in a scrap yard with in a year.

Only a kid would put those nasty vossen wheels on the rear of that car...oh and im 20 lol
      2005 MagiGobi M66 SR //Viva SS brake lines, Evolve exhaust w. dual tip, Gates racing Kevlar timing belt, Delrin subframe Bushing inserts, Dashlogic, Grom(Wired), 18 Gunmetal Pegs on Contienental ExtremeContact Sports(Summer Set), H&R 10 & 15 MM Spacers and some custom splitters\\ LI, NY

very nice!
      2006 S60R 2.4 T5 mostly stock fine tuned by https://urbastuning.wordpress.com
      ipd = sways, inter-cooler, inlet/TB/OTE silicone piping, cat back exhaust, rear camber bushings, sub-frame inserts,
      Originally Posted by John C "We are in the presence of greatness! "

Working on the car this week wasn't happening. I crashed my mountain bike last Sunday and did my ribs in again. I thought I'd be up for a car night Tuesday but paid for it the rest if the week. After the car work night, getting up, back down reaching over my head getting the angle gear out I had to sleep sitting up for a couple of nights.

Small things got done in the mean time under the hood clean up, engine mount, air box cut out from the 04.

I've been cleaning up rusty **** everywhere due to the car sitting for most of the year in used. At least I can stand and use me sand blasting cabinet.

Pre and post photo. I plan on having the rotors turned at my buddies machine shop when I get them all spiffy. Then a nice spray black to protect everything going forward.

Hopefully I won't be as sore by the end of the week so I can tackle the broken turbo bolt removal. At least I have a ton of working room now the exhaust, driveshaft, and angle gear are out.

Once that ba**ard is out then assembly time will begin.

Quote Originally Posted by headhunter_paintball View Post
      Working on the car this week wasn't happening. I crashed my mountain bike last Sunday and did my ribs in again. I thought I'd be up for a car night Tuesday but paid for it the rest if the week. After the car work night, getting up, back down reaching over my head getting the angle gear out I had to sleep sitting up for a couple of nights.

Small things got done in the mean time under the hood clean up, engine mount, air box cut out from the 04.

I've been cleaning up rusty **** everywhere due to the car sitting for most of the year in used. At least I can stand and use me sand blasting cabinet.

Pre and post photo. I plan on having the rotors turned at my buddies machine shop when I get them all spiffy. Then a nice spray black to protect everything going forward.

Hopefully I won't be as sore by the end of the week so I can tackle the broken turbo bolt removal. At least I have a ton of working room now the exhaust, driveshaft, and angle gear are out.

Once that ba**ard is out then assembly time will begin.

did you just dremel out the top of the airbox?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
      2005 MagiGobi M66 SR //Viva SS brake lines, Evolve exhaust w. dual tip, Gates racing Kevlar timing belt, Delrin subframe Bushing inserts, Dashlogic, Grom(Wired), 18 Gunmetal Pegs on Contienental ExtremeContact Sports(Summer Set), H&R 10 & 15 MM Spacers and some custom splitters\\ LI, NY

Yea, then put in some plexi. It looks cool and it was a trend on here a couple of years ago. It would be on the other car but the cone is the same size as the box. Lol.

Yea, then put in some plexi. It looks cool and it was a trend on here a couple of years ago. It would be on the other car but the cone is the same size as the box. Lol.

ah i thought it was like that for more turbo noise the popular mod is to ditch the cover all together

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity which province are you in?

Bruce
      2004 S60R Nordkap

Quote Originally Posted by passinglane View Post
      Just out of curiosity which province are you in?

Bruce
      I'm in New Brunswick, where are you at?

I'm on the hill in Fredericton. We should get together sometime. I've been getting my 2004 R back in shape but have never seen another one. My specialty seems to be old motorbikes.

Bruce
      2004 S60R Nordkap

Quote Originally Posted by passinglane View Post
      I'm on the hill in Fredericton. We should get together sometime. I've been getting my 2004 R back in shape but have never seen another one. My specialty seems to be old motorbikes.

Bruce
      For sure.......I'm down the road in Saint John. I own both the R sedans in town here now but some dude has a wagon. I've never met him however, some cat nearly run me over in the parking lot at work with his xc to talk Volvo's after I got out of my gray car. I was about ready to tell him where to go then he complimented the car.

We Volvo guys are a unique breed and stick together.

As I'm sure you know Fredericton is pretty much Volvo central for NB because they've been selling them here for years. Sent me a pm if you're up this way and we'll get together. I used to spend lots of time in Saint John and am about due for another visit so we'll see what happens.

Bruce
      2004 S60R Nordkap

I finally made progress on the car this week. It's been a long bit of healing my ribs from flipping into a tree while crashing my mountain bike. Here's the update:

Rotors were not going well with the sand blasting so I turned to science and used electrolysis.

After they came out with amazing results so we gave them a quick turn and paint.

The drive line went back in with new seals, the turbo got a bolt through it and fresh exhaust gadgets on the down pipe at both ends. Fresh oil cooler and hoses to stop the puking on the undercarriage.

I buttoned up the fuel filter change tonight and trans top up. Filled her up with oil, and coolant. Turned her over and let it run for 25 minutes.

She finally sits on here tires again and will go out for a spin after work......,I'll clear the cel that was on when I brought her home first.

Project resurrection

We finally made it in the wild! Although oil is leaking from the drain tube o-ring. More parts and time next week

Last edited by headhunter_paintball; 11-18-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Good progress so far. What kinda bike do you ride? I'm into everything 2 wheels prob more than cars.

06 Sonic/Nordkap MT SR with 18" Anthracite Pegs |63K Miles

00 Laser/Charcoal 2 Tone AT VR 16" Anthracite Satellites/ 17" Pegs |201K Miles

99 S70 N/A

Quote Originally Posted by SonicBlueR View Post
      Good progress so far. What kinda bike do you ride? I'm into everything 2 wheels prob more than cars.

It's a 2017 Giant Advanced 0. It's been the best trail bike I've ever used in 22 years of serious riding. It's better descending than the bike I raced Dh on for my first season competing nationally in 99. It's so good I find myself taking big chances and riding faster than the trail allows because of it's stability. All my buddies bought trances this season because they couldn't keep up at the first of the year with it. I love riding it.

We fixed the last oil leak with a new turbo drainpipe gasket and o-ring. Got a fresh MVI and we are all safe for a year. It was nice to finally drive around and enjoy it tonight.

Good progress. Nice to drive it around and not be leaky.
      Nice bike. I used to have a Giant. Right now I have a couple Rocky Mountains.

06 Sonic/Nordkap MT SR with 18" Anthracite Pegs |63K Miles

00 Laser/Charcoal 2 Tone AT VR 16" Anthracite Satellites/ 17" Pegs |201K Miles

99 S70 N/A

One thing I've noticed is how comfortable stock suspension is for city cruising. The 04 has springs, sways, poly bushings and is harsh as f**k crashing and smashing along. It's been a long time since that car ride like this one. I'm really enjoying the difference.

The car was working so well that I haven't been updating and just enjoying it. We had a snowstorm last week and I was out playing to hard and kissed a curb mid slide. There were no major issues just a rear suspension tow bar that gave its life, my rear wheel took some rash, and I ordered up a fresh wheel bearing. It has very little play but since the inspection is fresh I want the car tight when I bring her in for an alignment this week I figured it was the best option.

I stole the tow bar from my 04 and upgraded to my Ipd adjustable one that I had been hoarding. As you can see just a little bent. The car drives well on my test run last night.

This made me want to puke when the snow melted off and I first saw the carnage.

Here is the post clean up rash. I'll refinish the wheel in the summer when it is not in use. It should be 100% when I can pull the tire and have good access to the lip. We will see how close I can match up the paint before I fe do the other three perfect ones.

Everything is buttoned up so far, waiting on the wheel bearing to come in and alignment and the adventure will continue. This car is a beast in the snow!

[QUOTE=headhunter_paintball;6456306]The car was working so well that I haven't been updating and just enjoying it. We had a snowstorm last week and I was out playing to hard and kissed a curb mid slide. There were no major issues just a rear suspension tow bar that gave its life, my rear wheel took some rash, and I ordered up a fresh wheel bearing. It has very little play but since the inspection is fresh I want the car tight when I bring her in for an alignment this week I figured it was the best option.

I stole the tow bar from my 04 and upgraded to my Ipd adjustable one that I had been hoarding. As you can see just a little bent. The car drives well on my test run last night.

This made me want to puke when the snow melted off and I first saw the carnage.

Here is the post clean up rash. I'll refinish the wheel in the summer when it is not in use. It should be 100% when I can pull the tire and have good access to the lip. We will see how close I can match up the paint before I fe do the other three perfect ones.

Everything is buttoned up so far, waiting on the wheel bearing to come in and alignment and the adventure will continue. This car is a beast in the snow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOT

You are very handy which helps when owning any vehicle! I am glad you are enjoying your R!! Thanks for the post.
      "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke
      2007 S60R Magic Blue Metallic/Gobi MT 70,000+ miles (IPD intercooler, Hawk ceramics)
      2013 XC60 T6 Savile Grey Metallic/Black (wife's)
      2010 Ford Ranger
      http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/reward2/library/

I am getting more and more confident as the years go by to do repairs and fixes. I was not so sure of myself back in 2012 to dig really deep and relied heavily on my buddy who owns our local euro shop. Now I can just go to their shop and hang out. They still do my alignments and MVI or things I either don't want to do or have time for, but its not as much lately as I'm enjoying the hobby. This forum has been a huge resource for my learning and has inspired how I put together my 04.

Some weekend fun!!! This will allow me to have quick heat, get my alignment, and have both wheels lock up when the e-brake is pulled.

All this for $190 Canadian, shipped and delivered and duty from Rock Auto. The bearing alone at Carquest was $284 + 15% tax because they are local. Car parts are way more reasonable in Merica.

Project resurrection

Wheel bearing and e-brake hardware installed. Going to try to tackle the thermostat after supper.

Last edited by headhunter_paintball; 02-18-2018 at 11:07 PM.

Project resurrection

Now that the weather is warmer the car is back up on stands with the wheels pulled, fenders removed, and being sandblasted. The paint was peeling and surface rust was forming making the car look older than it should. Iím going to try my hand at painting and see what results come.

Hopefully supplies will be purchased tomorrow and this project can be tidied up this week.

Next project on the list will be finally dealing with this Iím tired of the oil on the floor and havenít wiped it up all winter.

Iíve bought the diff seals, axel seals, and rear main seal. It will be a big job but once the tranny goes back in it hopefully wonít be leaking any more.

Last edited by headhunter_paintball; 04-22-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Next project on the list will be finally dealing with this

its just that time of the month...
      2006 S60R 2.4 T5 mostly stock fine tuned by https://urbastuning.wordpress.com
      ipd = sways, inter-cooler, inlet/TB/OTE silicone piping, cat back exhaust, rear camber bushings, sub-frame inserts,
      Originally Posted by John C "We are in the presence of greatness! "

Maybe thats why its been so bitchy lately?

Made a little progress this weekend finally. Life and work have been in the way and the car is hanging out. Iím scrambling and trying to make progress here so the 04 can come out of winter hibernation.

Iíve got them clear coated and will be on the car hopefully tonight. Bodywork is way harder than you think.......they turned out good and Iím happy but Iíve had better results with other paint projects like my helmets.

Last edited by headhunter_paintball; 05-16-2018 at 10:15 PM.

Great job on the fenders. Everything is coming together nicely. I know what you mean about the oil leak. I had one when I first got the engine replaced that was just enough to be annoying. I have to tackle the rear rotors, parking brake and pads next.

Keep the pictures coming.
      05 VR GT Titanium Grey/Nordakp, sunroof, Winter Package, Premium sound with Volvo Sub. VST rear brace, Ultra Racing front strut brace.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast